Upcoming Trophy levelling changes detailed

Aranea Highwind

2 minutes ago, djb5f said:

They stated that platinums count more to your progression so yes, it makes EZPZ plat games even more impactful.

Not that I care or know my current trophy level or leaderboard status but yes, the change gives Ratalaika games even more of an impact.

we will see thats not what I get out of tat statement though they might just mean that since you get plats for 100% a game  that it will be more impactfull  since yu level up easier. I doubt they just gonna change it any way.

but you cna interprent it multiple ways so we will see

2 minutes ago, Batamamalakaja said:

We had a scale from 1 to 100 which is replaced with a scale from 0 to 10 (0, 100, 200, ...). Just like the weapon system in Destiny

current trophy level progression is linear starting at Level 26 I think.  This new model will make it so that each subsequent level requires more points, similar to XP leveling in most games.

Edited by djb5f

1 hour ago, visvoer18 said:

it has nothing to do with liking or not liking change now when i level up it feels like I accoimlished something in the new system  I couldnt care less anymore whats the fun in leveling up every game?

The new goal will probably be to level up a new hundred (from 199 to 200)...

I don't really like it and I have a few reasons why. I am not one of these super whiners and I'll probably just get used to it though so please hear me out on my points out without assuming I want to suddenly boycott Sony xD (yes, I've seen comments like that on Twitter over it)

First up the level quantity, it appears they want to encourage those lower levels stuck in the 10s/20s who take a year or so to level up. I don't think this is the solution and actually makes level ups feel likely less rewarding to them. I'm fixated on this level 12 = 200 message there because whilst level 12 isn't something an average gamer gets overnight (this alt isn't even there and it has 1 plat xD) but whipping through 200 levels seems ludicrous and like it loses its value quickly. They would have been better off rebalancing levels, maybe so that levels 1-25 were spread across 1-50 and then make levels beyond 50 increase even more (thus making level 100 harder to reach and fix the issue where people are stuck at level 100 too!)

I have a weird comparison for this, could pick any RPG but let's go with good ol' beloved Pokemon! Imagine playing Pokemon, usually the levels start out fast and you're in the 20s and 30s in no time through your journey (I think the rival battle at the start can level you up twice or almost twict?) but you're probably only in your 50s/60s by the endgame and postgame to 100 is an extra grind, that's a decent-ish rewarding levelling system that's fairly nicely paced right? Now imagine Pokemon with THESE levels, 12 = 200? Okay, well that's a level 200 Pikachu you're taking into the first or second Gym, from your journey from Pallet Town, through a couple routes and Viridian Forest you've gained 195 level ups, wtf? Some RPGs do this, have like 100,000 levels and have you gaining hundreds of levels for winning a battle and it just pulls me out of the levelling system entirely. 1 to 100 is a levelling system that has a proven track record of successful engagement, from so many countless RPGs/MMOs to even god damn shooter games etc. and the only reason it failed to engage non trophy hunters on PSN is due to the balancing (heck, at like level 25 the experience per level up caps out, the whole growth element is rushed into the first 25 levels, don't need more levels, need better structured levels!) If you really have to, push to 120 or something as a level cap if you need the extra numbers, but 999 is far too much.

The next issue I have is actually the level icons, tiering/ranking people in a competitive-like bronze/silver/gold division like system feels like it shames anyone below gold (imo), no one likes being shown they're in bronze rank. A level 8 like this alt of mine might be low, but if another player has a level 8 main, sure, they know they're a low level and don't go for trophies but to be 'shamed' as a 'bronze tier account' on top seems a bit iffy to me and personally if my main account is silver I'll be butt-hurt but at the same time I expect it, I'll probably be nowhere near gold (my main is 41, so, we'll see where that lands very soon) Also... Platinum is an exclusive icon for level 999 only right? Well, I can't see platinum being too elusive and unobtainable that literally only Hakoom has it lol, actually, it feels like they made that to actually make use of it so personally I feel like it hints at 999 being 'easier' to reach than 100 in the current system (we shall see whenever I see people start announcing their new levels) but... if that's the case, makes the whole cap issue more prevalent.

I have no comment on the potential higher value for platinums, as long as they actually moderate Ratalaika stacks then it could be a neat touch to add that extra value to platinums since the whole point in them was almost to reward completions that bit more compared to say, Gamerscore which had no differential between completing a game and just playing more games with less %age in each. It's currently worth 2 golds so it's not like it seems too major level wise in getting that platinum (obviously you have a platinum count though to showcase that) but at the same time it could end up making a radical change to people's accounts and rankings and it may just not feel right to have these massive point trophies if those differences are too big (especially since it unintentionally nerfs non-plat titles and DLC more by contrast). Need more details and see how it plays out, I'm neutral on this.

The biggest thing is going to be just change itself regardless how they did it, I don't trophy hunt but I have had my main account since PSN launched and my first trophy was in '09 (I didn't get a game with trophies for a while lol) so for over a decade I've been used to the system as it stands right now, it's going to take a bit to adjust to something so different.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

I don't really like it and I have a few reasons why. I am not one of these super whiners and I'll probably just get used to it though so please hear me out on my points out without assuming I want to suddenly boycott Sony xD (yes, I've seen comments like that on Twitter over it)

Twitter (and social media in general) is full of entitled idiots.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

I hope they add trophy progression, meaning we can see how close we are to something like kill x amount of enemies!

That’s been confirmed multiple times in this thread, every 10 or so posts someone asks the same thing. Lol. Not sure what to think about the new system, wonder what level it’ll put me at. 

From what I understand, it just seems like aggravating an existing “problem” of point inflation. There won’t ever be a true correlation between game difficulty and the trophy yield anyway.

Just change the trophy ping to the Kirby Air Ride checklist chime ⭐️. There was way more satisfaction from getting the surprise notice that you earned a thing, but just don’t find out what exactly it was until later. It’s scientifically proven :3. It was fine without any changes to level thresholds.

Yes I totally thought the 10 trophy tiers chart meant there would be 3 different point values for 3 different grades of bronze, silver and gold trophies each ?‍♂️. As if trophy values would get any closer to being worth what it took to get them. But if they were in reality, then there’d probably be 30+ different trophy tiers ?‍♂️ (1 point for Freebie/game launch trophy, to 50 points for beating a base game final boss, to 100+ points for completing an RPG item collection) or something like that.

10 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

That’s been confirmed multiple times in this thread, every 10 or so posts someone asks the same thing. Lol. Not sure what to think about the new system, wonder what level it’ll put me at. 

Has Playstation confirmed that trophy progress will come with the next patch?