Aranea Highwind

Upcoming Trophy levelling changes detailed

467 posts in this topic

What are they referring to when they say "trophy grade"? Is that rarity and what is going to determine that?

I hope there will be a progression system to see how many kill you need to unlock and such, we been asking for this freaking progression features since the ps3 days.

5 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

I hope there will be a progression system to see how many kill you need to unlock and such, we been asking for this freaking progression features since the ps3 days.

It will come at ps5 and new games will have this kind of tracking

10 minutes ago, TrueMrBubbles said:

It will come at ps5 and new games will have this kind of tracking

So basically older, non ps5 games, will have less point values?

3 minutes ago, tinman_1954 said:

No that was not wat he was asking, he asked for a tracker so you can see how many kills you have if let's say there is a trophy for 100 kills. How the points are calculated at the moment, I have no idea

Posted (edited)

There is no point in this at all if they increased the level cap to 500 instead and kept the older system would be much better option.

44 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

They have said they are going to make a trophy tracker I heard a while ago and it’s good news.

Edited by FearlessElle

20 minutes ago, tinman_1954 said:

The system applies to PS3, Vita and PS4. It's universal.

10 hours ago, sephiroth4424 said:

Well it's 2020, so there are chances that this update will erase all trophies from the servers and we will start again from 0. Never underestimate sony

Imagine that.

Then people like hack-oom need to get their buddies together to help earning the hard trophies.

While I appreciate Sony giving the trophy system extra attention, I'm not a big fan of the new level system. I'm all in for trophy requirement progression and a redesign of the current system, but they didn't eliminate the issue that many people seemed to have: the cap. Why not make the 'Platinum' tier from Lvl. 999 and onwards?

Went from Lvl. 37 (24 % in) to Lvl. 481 (10 % in), so it doesn't affect me much, but I can understand why some people (those being bumped to Lvl. 999) are a bit frustrated.

2 hours ago, yellowwindow7 said:

It will come, but it will be optional for the Developers.

Not bad,but some people are already level 999. 😒

If first person to hit max level did that in 2025 it would make more sense.

I really don't mind the level increases. I think the change is more aimed at casual players or to provide more incentive for people to rise up through levels at a more satisfying rate. Those of us who trophy hunt religiously, I suppose the level is inconsequential, as we are all "high levels" regardless if you have 50 plats or 500 (or three trillion zillion like Hakoom).

I think this update will be far better received if it is accompanied with trophy progression tracking on the PS5, and from a personal standpoint, I would love it if they removed seperate regional trophy lists and only allow these pay-to-play platinums (Raka I'm looking at you) to come with a 100%, no platinum. Wishful thinking, but those two changes could make a positive difference to trophy levelling at least.

Well this was an unwelcome surprise but nothing changes here. I've been enjoying doing those low-value 100% games lately so I guess I'll keep doing that with the added 'integrity' of that list now being worth even less. Hopefully that means every ps5 game will have a platinum & the era of 'wrong-contrarian' hard 2D & retro compilation 100% lists is over. I always really hated when those games didn't get a plat even though it never stopped me playing them. Just always seemed a bit insulting.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, ScintillaWolf said:

I really don't mind the level increases. I think the change is more aimed at casual players or to provide more incentive for people to rise up through levels at a more satisfying rate.

I'm not sure what Sony is really aiming for with this change. At least I don't think it makes a difference for casual players as they might not even care about trophies or their level at all.

But at the end it's still just another way of data mining for Sony. Remembering back in the 90s those publishers have used surveys to ask people about their favorite genres or how often the play games generally and so on. But that became obsolete with trophies/achievements, because they can get everything out of gamer stats (that's the reason why nearly every game has unmissable trophies on certain points and it's also what you can read out of "rarity" and timestamps).

So I guess they changed it for attracting more players into buying specific games or dlc or whatever. Who knows.. 😋

Edited by HeinrichReich

I'm not sure how much I like this change. Being able to level up faster sounds neat on paper, but it also takes away the magic of it. 

Before every time I leveled up felt like I accomplished something. Now that I'm at level 349 a few levels higher or lower seems miniscule. The only big accomplishments now to me are leveling up a tier / reaching a new 100s figure, which takes way longer than it did leveling up previously.

lCQmIOE.png

dD6V6Rd.png

I was at level 25+75% towards level 26, now I'm at level 385+8% towards level 386. I don't really care about PSN levels (plat numbers are infinitely more important), but I'm not gonna lie...this feels pretty good. Big number make monkey brain feel good, basically.

3 hours ago, FearlessElle said:

There is no point in this at all if they increased the level cap to 500 instead and kept the older system would be much better option.

Agreed.

Have now jumped from level 107 to 819.... THIS is what has made trophies worthless.... up yours, Sony

19 hours ago, TrueMrBubbles said:

Hope they give bonus points for completing all dlc

I'd like to see dlc trophies not added to your profile unless you install said dlc. 

You need to earn a trophy before the changes are implemented, right? I wonder if I'll just retire my account to confuse newer generations of trophy hunters who'll never know why my level is so low...

6 minutes ago, Gotakibono said:

You need to earn a trophy before the changes are implemented, right?

I have a couple of people in friend list that have new level and last online a two or three days ago.

Just now, Akrioz said:

I have a couple of people in friend list that have new level and last online a two or three days ago.

Well, there goes my ridiculous plan.. :P

I'm really kinda *SHRUG* about this whole update.

What I like about getting trophies has always been playing games I'm interested in, getting those DING!s, and the personal satisfaction from seeing a platinum unlock. This update doesn't change that.

I never cared that much about my trophy level. In fact it was a bit demoralizing to get a shiny new plat and then realize my trophy level barely moved.

You could make the argument that levels are going up "too fast" now. But still.. eh. Whatever. The scale has changed from 1-100 to 1-999. Platinums are worth more. Seems reasonable.

Kinda funny to see all the hate for Ratalaika games, lol. If this update somehow encourages many people to buy more of them (doubtful), Sony makes more money too. That's all Sony cares about.

I would agree that capping levels at all is dumb, tho.