Upcoming Trophy levelling changes detailed

Aranea Highwind

On 07/10/2020 at 4:01 PM, HusKy said:

Assuming they are not completely clueless, the scale is not going to be the same. Meaning current 1-100 will not scale directly to 1-999 but rather 1-700 (just an example) and the next 299 levels are extra.

Former level 100 will now correspond to level 765 (94%) - credit to NathanielJohn for working out the new calculation system.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere, I just didn’t read all pages - this thread is just going too fast :-)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Disagree with everything, the trophy system was and has never been "bastardised". you can still tell someones dedication, you're being ridiculously dramatic, chill out, its an improvement, you just don't like change. The new trophy icons look pretty slick but the badges aren't on there so I don't know if that's at all legit.

Have to see both sides of the coin. Whilst I still think you can see someone's dedication to trophy hunting regardless of what games they choose to do, I do think it has been bastardised to an extent.

I don't hate the new levelling and I like the icons, but there can be no denying that the multiple stacks and pay-to-play platinums that have been thrown out in an abundance has diminished the value of the system.

I can take varying arguments, but I see people with numerous stacks of the same game that took 20 minutes and I think,  are you doing this for fun or is it an addiction?

So yeah, all for embracing change, but no denying certain aspects that have diminished the trophy eco-system.

4 hours ago, Neef-GT5 said:

Former level 100 will now correspond to level 765 (94%) - credit to NathanielJohn for working out the new calculation system.

Calculations seem off. I was previously a level 94 and now I'm 770.

the calculations will vary depending on the mix of trophies each person has.. as the value of platinums increased, someone with more platinum will benefit from the new system more than someone with a lot of bronzes..

eg.. take two people... both under the current system have exactly 111,420 points, level 23

Person A has 4,540 bronze, 826 silver, 184 gold and 11 platinum

Person B...me has 2022 bronze, 741 silver, 500 gold and 77 platinum

under the new system and the NEW math..

Person A would now be level 358 +60%

Person B would now be level 367 +40%

Edited by craig_obviously
  • Like 3

I was so close to trophy level 16. Now I am at 274! Well, according to this site, I'm still at 15 [though it looks like there's a big update going on here as I type this].

I will continue to seek out the super-rare trophies, which mostly seem to be ones attached to games that have a free base version and many paid DLC packs [pinball] or ones that require a specific accessory purchase [Rock Band 3 Pro Instruments, or a camera]. So not necessarily ones that require extreme gaming skill, more like extreme ... trophy research?

Did people actually pick specific trophies that would trigger each new level, information that is now lost forever? Yes, I'm OCD too, I get it, that is disappointing indeed. Hopefully you all at least took a screenshot before the update. Change is a major disruption for many of the different types of "collectors" gathered here, I hope you all are able to keep focused on the parts that are FUN about this whole process.

I couldn't care less about the new trophy level system. I stopped trophy hunting long ago when the PSN store started to get a large amount of shovelware that you can earn quick and easy platinums/100% for little to no effort as well as stacks of them, it kind of ruins the meaning of trophy levels, number of platinums, completion rate etc for me.

I used to be an achievement hunter during the Xbox 360 days and stopped after the Xbox One came out where you can earn achievements in Mobile, Applications etc. which was something Microsoft never implemented beforehand. Trophies and Achievements have lost the majority of their meaning and value over the years imo where you can earn a platinum/100% or 1000/1000 gamerscore for just pressing X for 5 minutes. It's just sad to see some dude with platinum trophies from games like Dark Souls, Sekiro, Witcher 3. Destiny, God of War have a lower level than some dude with platinum trophies from My Name is Mayo, Midnight Deluxe, Blind Men, A Hero and a Garden, Daggerhood, 1000 Top Rated along with some other games that stack.   

Edited by Xzolder
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

The biggest annoyance to me is that max rank is 999. 

It just looks absolutely shit and kind of incomplete. Why didn't they go with 1000?

Imagine the old ranks would have stopped at 99 instead of 100. Just stupid and ugly. 

They probably capped at level 999 to avoid issues with unsupported devices like PS3s. They were already designed to be able to display a 3-digit level number.

If they allowed levels of 1000 or higher, suddenly the PS3 needs to be able to display a 4-digit level number, which is new and might need a firmware patch since it could have unintended side effects.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

Why wouldn't Sony gather feedback before implementing such a drastic change to the trophy system? Its a big middle finger to trophy hunters.

Considering some of the meltdowns I've seen from trophy hunters, I'd say they made the right call to not open a public forum on this.

Not to say that every trophy hunter won't be able to offer useless feedback. It's just immaturity can still be the minority and still be the loudest voice.

Edited by Eraezr

On 10/8/2020 at 2:09 PM, DarkHpokinsn said:

“Dumb casual players” the elitism on this site is ridiculous. Just accept change, it’ll make life easier.

So we can just blindly agree to change? 

That’s like Donald saying we need to do this just because, and everyone stupidly agrees with him because... yeah. 

You can make the decision to leave and move on to something else. Not all change is good, not all change is bad. 

Voting with your wallet. Look that up, you might learn something.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ScintillaWolf said:

I can take varying arguments, but I see people with numerous stacks of the same game that took 20 minutes and I think,  are you doing this for fun or is it an addiction?

and I see, "Damn, those hunters make the time, have the money and resources, and exhibit an extraordinary amount of dedication to something they are passionate about. Winning can be addicting, so can fun.  Each can view "the hunt" differently.

• Like 1

The changes seem to be really meaningless honestly, and seem to be just change for the sake of change. It's basically just a very minor recalculation but with a bigger number; although you would think they would at least raise the level cap lol. I don't really care about the actual trophy level and I wasn't aware that it was actually something most people even looked at as it has become increasingly meaningless with the huge flood of mobile port trash where you can earn the Plat in 5-30 minutes and then stack multiple times across different platforms and regions.

Just do your own thing and just Plat/100% games that you enjoy or are a fun challenge. Maybe it's just me but I don't see the appeal in buying and playing an ocean of shovelware trash while being glued to a guide just so that I can make a meaningless number go up and compete against teamers, cheaters, and people who play 100 hours a week. 

Edited by machaesthetic
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MrTrofyHunter said:

and I see, "Damn, those hunters make the time, have the money and resources, and exhibit an extraordinary amount of dedication to something they are passionate about. Winning can be addicting, so can fun.  Each can view "the hunt" differently.

Yeah but that description can describe any trophy hunter, stacks are just a smart way of getting the maximum amount of platinums in a short space of time to get ahead. 

The original point wasn't even about the passion of "the hunter", it was how the system has been bastardised. 

Edited by ScintillaWolf

2 hours ago, machaesthetic said:

The changes seem to be really meaningless honestly, and seem to be just change for the sake of change. It's basically just a very minor recalculation but with a bigger number; although you would think they would at least raise the level cap lol. I don't really care about the actual trophy level and I wasn't aware that it was actually something most people even looked at as it has become increasingly meaningless with the huge flood of mobile port trash where you can earn the Plat in 5-30 minutes and then stack multiple times across different platforms and regions.

Just do your own thing and just Plat/100% games that you enjoy or are a fun challenge. Maybe it's just me but I don't see the appeal in buying and playing an ocean of shovelware trash while being glued to a guide just so that I can make a meaningless number go up and compete against teamers, cheaters, and people who play 100 hours a week. 

Nothing wrong with stacking a game if you loved it the first time. I did this with Guacamelee and Uncharted.

Your account is decent with some hard as nails games, so your statement actually holds some water. The people at the top cheat anyway, why would I try to compete against them if they don't play fair ball?

• Like 1

I don’t get it. Somebody with more platinums than me was ahead of me on the leaderboard, now they’re behind me. Both of our accounts show the converted levels. What was devalued? (Maybe stacks?)

Edited by fbdbh

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 0:23 PM, da-Noob123 said:

I like the new levels idea - so far at least. However,  what I really want to know is, can I finally order my games alphabetically on my PS4 and eventual PS5? No idea why they removed this going from 3 to 4.

I wasn't going to comment here, as I only tend to comment when I am angry about something, and those posts are usually censored :)

I am ANGRY about this change, yes. Mainly because it has come about because this silly generation can't leave well enough alone. "When something ain't broke, don't fix it!"

CHANGE is the buzz word of the day. All you had to do was increase the limit, not change the whole entire system that we all got used to over the past decade. It is taking great restraint right now not to cuss and curse at the retardedness of this situation. I have had to remove some text here in order to make this post "postable".

Regardless, back to the reason I am posting... I agree with the above quoted comment. It was RETARDED that sorting alphabetically was removed in the first place, and this feature is THE ONLY change that was needed.

JUST ONE example of why? I would use that alphabetical sort list to determine which games I have played/have yet to play.

Anyhow, the remainder of this comment has been removed :)

This is what the "old" system was. THIS is what I want to see for this STUPID new system:

Bronze:   15
Silver:   30
Gold:     90
Platinum: 180

How many points does it take to get to each level?

Level 1  - 0 pts
Level 2  - 200 pts
Level 3  - 600 pts
Level 4  - 1200 pts
Level 5  - 2400 pts
Level 6  - 4000 pts
Level 7  - 6000 pts
Level 8  - 8000 pts
Level 9  - 10000 pts
Level 10 - 12000 pts
Level 11 - 14000 pts
Level 12 - 16000 pts
Level 13 - 24000 pts
Level 14 - 32000 pts
Level 15 - 40000 pts
Level 16 - 48000 pts
Level 17 - 56000 pts
Level 18 - 64000 pts
Level 19 - 72000 pts
Level 20 - 80000 pts

Level 25 - 120000 pts

45 minutes ago, RunzWithScissorz said:

CHANGE is the buzz word of the day. All you had to do was increase the limit, not change the whole entire system that we all got used to over the past decade.

I tend to agree with this. I’m normally a big believer in “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it,” but when it comes to the PS trophy system, I’ve actually advocated for a rehaul or rebalancing of the system for awhile. But this was not what I had in mind... after familiarizing myself with the new system, I’m left feeling like this whole change just comes across as completely unnecessary and pointless. Why was any of this necessary?

The new trophy system is not a disaster or anything... it’s just pointless. Most players who have been capped for years and wanted to see the level cap raised are still capped with the update. And for everyone else, levelling up has become such a frequent event now that it’s not even noticeable or meaningful in any way. At least with the old system, gaining a level was something that happened to me every couple months at most, so it kind of meant something.

• Like 4