Upcoming Trophy levelling changes detailed

Aranea Highwind

1 hour ago, Helyx said:

This is so dumb. Making the cap 999 is great, but if level 12s are now level 200+, they're even closer to the ceiling than before and this didn't actually address anything.

Oh well, at least we get some new icons...

Why not think a little bit before saying something is dumb? How can you tell what the number of points between each level is gonna be? You can't. You are just assuming it is linear.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sydoki said:

What's the point of scaling the points though...? People who hit the 100 cap will automatically be placed at a 999 cap. What is that update solving?

"lmao let's just do it" - some guy at Sony

We don’t know if they will be automatically at 999 or if there are extra levels yet, though..

This is definitely in favour of the noobies and normies, trying to incentivise them to earn more trophies. Can’t be mad about that, I love seeing newcomers fall in love with our hobby. 

The level capacity increasing tenfold is definitely a shame for the rest of us though. The scale was small enough at 100 to feel like a vague accomplishment every time you levelled up. Now it’ll be so diluted that each individual level will feel no different than another. 

At the very least we can hope that trophies receiving some attention means there will be more changes in the future...

Oh and those icons are so horrid lol. Reminds me of those merit stickers you used to get for behaving well at school 

bCeZVRt.jpg

• Like 4

Well, this is a surprise. I'm fine with the change to how the trophy levels work so long as level progression is significantly slower in the silver and gold tiers. I liked that level 100 was this unobtainable goal for most people in the old system because it always gave you something to strive for. Looking at the profile they've given as an example in the new system, it doesn't take much work at all to get through the bronze tier and that's a bit worrying. We won't know until this actually gets implemented, but I hope level 999 in the new system is still out of reach for pretty much everyone except those at the top of the leaderboard.

I quite like the new trophy level icons. It makes it easier for normies to tell at a glance how much you're into trophy hunting. Plus, it's a nice way to differentiate profiles.

Making platinums more rewarding sounds good on paper until you realise this just incentivises getting those "EZPZ" plats even more. That and games with a 100% list are even less rewarding in comparison now. This is why Sony should have taken a more hardline stance on this kind of stuff when they had the chance. I feel like more should be done on this site to counter that by implementing a proper rarity leaderboard and that ribbon system that was seemingly forgot about. Removing the 999 cap like what was done for level 100 in the old system would be good too.

• Like 1

I see so many people misinterpreting what the level progression is going to look like saying if a level 21 person shoots to the 200s then what about those in the 50s and that it'll feel meaningless given the larger numbers. 

It's not going to be a linear progression. Look it as if it's XP from an RPG. The requirement to get to the next level will increase with every level which is pretty much what the current system is. Only difference is that the numbers will look inflated so now we have a range of 0-999.

I don't mind the changes they're going for. It spices things. The fact they even thought about rolling this update is a step in the right direction considering this system has been used since the ps3 and received little to no love since. And the fact we're getting a trophy tracker in-game is great.

What I'd like to see though is a malleable platinum score system where a rarer platinum is worth more points. 

Makes the grindy and or difficult platinums more rewardable than a 10 mins plat.. perhaps having a multiplier associated with a platinum rarity would be great and balances things out. 

• Like 1

Lol I'm just waiting for Sly to come in and say "These changes are incompatible with how PSNP works so we're taking down the leaderboard & stats until it's fixed"

Trophy tracking in the console itself is very nice, it makes me think they actually have changed how developers work with the trophy API. Maybe we'll have fewer glitchy ones?

I think this is good to make levels more sensible, so long as the guys in Sony do the right things.

Typically we understand levels as a progressive thing, which is "the higher the level, the harder it is to level up", think for example in experience in a RPG game. This is not happening right now in trophies, the progression stops at level 13 and then you need the same amount of trophies to level up, 8,000 points. It just doesn't make sense that you need the same amount of "experience" to go from 13 to 14 than 99 to 100. Maybe the fact that we don't level up that often, since a base game plus platinum rewards about 1,200 points, and that it doesn't get increasingly difficult are the reasons why we don't care much about levels.

Great to see the progress in trophies thing, we were all waiting for this. I would also like a notification for leveling up, as they are caring about levels.

I really can't see anything negative in this.

EDIT: It just takes to start typing to get somebody make the same RPG analogy. Sorry about that @PooPooBlast ?

Edited by FrediPy_
  • Like 2

There are 591 people on this site who are already at the PSN cap of 100. To me it would have made much more sense to raise the cap. If they really wanted to tweak the points for the lower tiers, they could have done so without dumbing it down to the point where you play one game and are level 10. This feels like a cookie for participating.

Hopefully the upper levels have some large scaled requirements, otherwise it seems like a lot of us are still going to be at this artificial cap.

Meanwhile, the trophy updates we really wanted, like progress tracking, are still TBD. Thanks Sony.

• Like 1

All they had to do was raise the lv 100 cap and that's it. Everything would have been perfect. This update doesn't change a single thing. People will just have higher levels which will give the impression that their level is super high (to non trophy hunters or people that aren't familiar with the new system). People lv 100+, will still be capped at 999. This is simply a longer range expansion going from 1 to 999 rather than 1 to 100. 

• Like 1

playstation just tweeted this

this is a bit odd, they are changing the leveling system. i dont know if thats good or bad. i guess good if your new. not so good if you already put 10 years into a profile and people can catch up to you faster

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/07/upcoming-trophy-levelling-changes-detailed/

edit i read through it to fast, i guess everyones leveling will be adjusted?

Edited by melodicmizery

9 minutes ago, FrediPy_ said:

I think this is good to make levels more sensible, so long as the guys in Sony do the right things.

Typically we understand levels as a progressive thing, which is "the higher the level, the harder it is to level up", think for example in experience in a RPG game. This is not happening right now in trophies, the progression stops at level 13 and then you need the same amount of trophies to level up, 8,000 points. It just doesn't make sense that you need the same amount of "experience" to go from 13 to 14 than 99 to 100. Maybe the fact that we don't level up that often, since a base game plus platinum rewards about 1,200 points, and that it doesn't get increasingly difficult are the reasons why we don't care much about levels.

Great to see the progress in trophies thing, we were all waiting for this. I would also like a notification for leveling up, as they are caring about levels.

I really can't see anything negative in this.

EDIT: It just takes to start typing to get somebody make the same RPG analogy. Sorry about that @PooPooBlast 1f609.png

Haha, you wish, nope, it stops at level 26, with 10,000 points per level 'till 100, for some reasons.

• Like 1

The change i'm hoping for is in game tracker for trophy progress.  Say you need 100 kills with a smg it pops up every 20 or so your progress.  I heard rumor this may be coming so I'm holding out hope we get it.  some games do it even now and some of those are my favorite games for popping trophies.  It's like getting a bunch of mini achievements on the way to the real one.  It also takes the guess work out of a grind.  need 1000 Jason matches in Friday the 13th and lost track of how many you have well now you know.  

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I’d be pretty surprised if this is anything more than slight massaging of interpretation using the exact same back-end values. After all, trophies mean nothing to the majority, and too much to our minority, so massive changes would be a silly move on their part.

Unless this is intended as a power move to get more people interested.

Before this, the casual player wouldn't notice much active change in their level on a month to month basis. So it goes largely ignored.

And the few casual players who do pay attention to it would be turned off of active participation when they notice their 80+ hour RPG contributed less than 1/8th of a levels worth of exp.

However, change it up and now that same 80+ hour RPG is two levels. Noticeable, trackable change. More people who want to get involved means more sales.

It also has the side effect of influencing devs. Since the system favors platinum trophies more than the current system, games without a platinum will theoretically sell less, so "Maybe you'd actually like to pay that fee for one Mr. Dev? It would have a tangible effect on your sale for such a small price."

To use the WoW example from earlier, this is making the system more casual friendly, with debatable effects on people who were already ingrained.

It’s an interesting update to say the least, basically it seems like they’re not changing the actual level cap but just inflating the numbers and making it to where you level up more often but as you get closer to 999 it will exponentially take longer to level up

I have also wanted that generic trophy level symbol to change depending on what your level was, so I’m really happy to see that be a thing now

Also great to see the French website seemed to confirm individual trophy progress tracking too

That being said, Sony still isn’t doing anything about the shovelware trophy lists, so if you have hundreds of lists breaking the system, what’s the point of making unrelated changes that won’t even fix it? Lol

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Haha, you wish, nope, it stops at level 26, with 10,000 points per level 'till 100, for some reasons.

Oops, you're right, my bad!

Still, the same logic applies, but with a weird step at level 26. I think it would be more natural to have a level-by-level increase.

• Like 1