New Platinum Trophy Value and Trophy Level Formula

NathanielJohn

31 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

Here is what the levelling graph looks like under this new system:

xbBlb4Y.png

The overall shape of it is fine, but why does it have to be piecewise linear like that? A sideways quadratic (i.e., a square root function) has the exact same qualitative behavior, but "feels" better because it doesn't have the corners like the big one at level 200.

Interesting data, thank you for sharing! Do you have the old graph by chance? Surely the old one was worse? I do agree it should be smoother, but leveling up quicker is better, I think. Although that would mess up the "level history" here I like quicker leveling.

Maybe they should just switch to points like Xbox lol

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WaddysWDS said:

the real problem in this change is that none of the problems that had previously been solved really are solved, there are people who are still at the limit of the level, in fact most of the tops still have the official maximum level ... that is to say  was this change made to fix that problem?  and without ole mind to have heavier numbers?

The thing is, this change wasn't made with trophy hunters in mind. Sony clearly only did this to incentivize selling more games and stop people from saying "hey, I got platinum on this game and didn't level up". Because believe it or not, casuals think they should level up with every platinum as it is a "big achievement" for them even in easy games like Terminator Salvation. 

Sony will never think about trophy hunters, it's the least of their priority. Even though they should, since trophies also sell games.

If they cared, the silly spike between level 12 and above (or level 200 in this new system) would be taken care of, as it's been widely said in this thread.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, WaddysWDS said:

The real problem in this change is that none of the problems that previously existed are really solved, there are people who are still at the limit of the level, in fact most of the tops still have the official maximum level ... that is to say  was this change made to fix that problem?  or just to have heavier numbers and get attention?

Yes but now it's just dozens instead of thousands.

2 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

Here is the graph for the old levelling system:

f10ZShz.png

Note that this graph appears "jumpier" because there are fewer levels on the y-axis. Again, the big corner at level 12 is the silly thing, along with linearity after that. A square root function would be qualitatively the same, but without the sudden abrupt shift in how many points are needed to level up.

To me this seems smoother and more consistent. The total number of "points" needed to level up became more or less the same at a certain level. Whereas the new system starts low and gradually increases over time. Resulting in more leveling but less consistent number of "points" to level up?

10 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

Here is the graph for the old levelling system:

f10ZShz.png

Note that this graph appears "jumpier" because there are fewer levels on the y-axis. Again, the big corner at level 12 is the silly thing, along with linearity after that. A square root function would be qualitatively the same, but without the sudden abrupt shift in how many points are needed to level up.

To give a better picture, the y-axis should go to 100 to show there is no change after level 26.  That is one thing the new system does better, it keeps increasing the points needed to advance.  Not that I think they implemented it well,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

Sony's change to the leveling system was just poorly planned out. It wasn't made with us in mind, it was made to try to convince casual players to invest more into Sony's games. As if a lot of people out there really cared about trophies to begin with.

Perhaps they're trying to make people care more. If more people are even vaguely interested in trophies, it'll mean more sales. 

The new system is clearly catering to the folks with low game counts. 

If it convinces even .5% of the psn community to give trophies a second thought, it'll be a win in the long run for the trophy community. Niche groups aren't pandered to but if the niche grows, so will the consideration we get from the bean counters.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, djb5f said:

To give a better picture, the y-axis should go to 100 to show there is no change after level 26.  That is one thing the new system does better, it keeps increasing the points needed to advance.  Not that I think they implemented it well,

Exactly. As it's already been stated in the thread, a progressive curve would have been better instead of one with segments where you can see there's a spike in points required. It's just ridicolous.

2 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

Perhaps they're trying to make people care more. If more people are even vaguely interested in trophies, it'll mean more sales. 

The new system is clearly catering to the folks with low game counts. 

If it convinces even .5% of the psn community to give trophies a second thought, it'll be a win in the long run for the trophy community. Niche groups aren't pandered to but if the niche grows, so will the consideration we get from the bean counters.

Yes, by letting them get into shitty games people mostly buy for the trophies. They didn't solve any of the problems the trophy system had before.

3 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

But counting Rat plats more, AND making it so that 100% games count less is pretty lame.

Which makes PSN trophy levels more pointless. I'm going to do non-platinum games and DLC content anyway, I don't give a rat's ass about the raw platinum count anymore, since Rat plats helped contribute to devaluing them.

11 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

The only potential positive I see from this is if it really brings more people into the achievement/trophy system. But counting Rat plats more, AND making it so that 100% games count less is pretty lame.

Games without a plat trophy still have the same value. If you add to that how they lowered the requirede amount of trophies to level up then they were actually increased in value (if you do not calculate inflation that is)

7 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Yes, by letting them get into shitty games people mostly buy for the trophies. They didn't solve any of the problems the trophy system had before.

When did you start caring about other people's gaming preferences? Doesn't matter if someone wants to play Rata, what does matter is that the trophy community is growing.

Besides the arbitrary level cap (which applies to so few people it's irrelevant), the system is fine.

Edited by VigilantCrow
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

The only potential positive I see from this is if it really brings more people into the achievement/trophy system. But counting Rat plats more, AND making it so that 100% games count less is pretty lame.

While you guys are focused on EZ plats being overpowered for Trophy Hunters. Sony is probably looking at the competition rate of mainstream games  and trying to get more gamers into completing games and recognizing what it does for their personal(not a chart, list, or straddling for position among others) trophy level. I don't want the change to sound too friendly, Sony is trying to get more people entrenched into the PSN ecosystem and spend less time and money outside of it. 

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 3

I wish the leveling system took PSN rarity into account (hear me out). Super weekend mode is 90% on PSN... I think they could have kept these values at 180, but increased it for other games that are uncommon, rare, or very rare. The only problem with this is decreasing in level based on rarity, but eh, can't be perfect.

At least it would've made the system a little more balanced. Lol.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

When did you start caring about other people's gaming preferences? Doesn't matter if someone wants to play Rata, what does matter is that the trophy community is growing.

Besides the arbitrary level cap (which applies to so few people it's irrelevant), the system is fine.

I don't see a big surge of people flocking over to trophies, the new generation of gamers going into the PS5 will be playing it for the games, not for the trophy system. The select few who want to go for trophies isn't going to be that big of a number anyway.

This whole thing is just stupid. Easy platinums aside, the previous system was just fine, absolutely no need to change it.

I’ve just completed an episode of The Walking Dead Season Two and after each trophy I’d sync with the server to see if it’s going fine for me. Upon earning my first trophy today my profile would go from (Level 27, 22% off 28) to (Level 400, 97% off 401) then mid episode one of the trophies took me back to the old system. Tried signing out and in, manual syncs and restarting my PS4 but nothing would take me back to the new system. My PS3 has no issues and displays all my friends and I with the new numbers but my Vita and the PS App would act identical to my PS4. Updated my account both here and on another trophy website (won’t say which one because apparently that’s forbidden), other site displays the new levels but here it still needs work (understandably so) but then I discovered this change not only reset all my profile personalisations (banner colour and about me) but my old level is missing out 4 trophies. For some it just stopped at 3950 trophies then it should say I’ve got 3954. TL;DR: I’m having more issues with this than I did upon changing my Online ID.

Trophy hunting is something I’d like to continue doing until I feel like I’m losing enjoyment or when my account is high enough for me, but if the feelings I have now about the new system continue for so long I may consider to quit sooner than I’d like (as someone who started a new account to hunt after losing my old profile which had a decade of history this makes it worse for me).

Edit: Thank you OP for the math.

Edited by PepsiMaxVanilla
  • Like 1

Here, I made a levelling formula for Sony that would have been significantly less stupid:

Trophy Level = sqrt((49900/81567)*Points + 1)

This levelling curve puts 0 points to level 1 and 1631340 points to level 999, just like the new official levelling curve. However, my curve has the advantage of not being a piecewise linear piece of garbage.

Official levelling curve:

xbBlb4Y.png

My not-pants-on-head-stupid levelling curve:

Da5WJ4s.png

• Like 3