New Platinum Trophy Value and Trophy Level Formula

NathanielJohn

4 minutes ago, AerisFlowerGirl said:

My friend and I were discussing last night how pointless this would be if it was not a smooth curve-like experience increase, and here we are. All it did was make a numbers bigger, and like usual, the higher numbers feel worthless. Someone with literally 15 plats can be level 200, while it takes 200ish plats to reach 500. The average person will look at the higher numbers and go "well I have level 200 with my very little work, so them having level 500 isn't impressive." And that is what bugs me. What they should have done is either had levels go well beyond 999, or indefinitely. Or, make the curve in the high 900 range crazy. Like so crazy, even Hakoom wouldn't be max rank yet. I'm all for that because max level in something like this should show extreme dedication. Now like 100 people are already going to be max when they are updated.without anything to work for. Do they care? Probably not, but if I was that high in trophy count I would. I have literally never received a compliment on my trophy level and I don't expect to now. In comparison, I receive tons of compliments on my gamerscore over on Xbox. Someone who completed 10 games and has 10,000 gamerscore can look at my nearly 500k gamerscore and go holy shit. Someone with 15 plats is going to look at me with my trophy level 500 and shrug because they are nearly halfway to my level on 15 plats. It is stupid now that I've had time to process it.

But as you guys said, Sony doesn't care about the dedicated trophy hunters that shell out thousands a year on dumb games and put in hundreds of hours on their system. They just look at the $$$ that could be gained from even just one brand new person buying a Playstation system. Not going to lie, I'm not an Xbox fangirl by any means but at least they are pointed way further in the right direction as far as customer service goes. Now they just need some good exclusives to make the console worth owning...

I put a lot of work into getting a number of non-platinum games done on my account and this change just makes them look even more pointless.

The notion that people just outright skip a game that doesn't have a platinum, such as HITMAN 2, is stupid enough on its own.

Microsoft has really been hurting since I no longer consider them to be a proper competitor since they gave up on their exclusives and they are going in a direction that I deem questionable. They are the underdog now and from what I've heard from friends, they have become substantially better in their customer service. Sony in contrast has absolutely abysmal customer service. Tried contacting them once over an issue I had and got the complete run around.

It's funny, back in 2011 Sony was suffering from the PSN shutdown. Now look at them.

Just now, Spaz said:

I don't see a big surge of people flocking over to trophies, the new generation of gamers going into the PS5 will be playing it for the games, not for the trophy system. The select few who want to go for trophies isn't going to be that big of a number anyway.

Of course you don't see a flock, the change literally just happened. That being said, if Sony didn't think people were interested though, do you think they'd waste the time/money on this change?

Clearly there's interest, or at the very least there's interest in getting more people involved with the trophy community.

• Like 1

Interesting. The level structure has always seemed a bit off to me and the lack of a smooth curve explains things. Given how the system used to work and then slowed down significantly once you reached a certain level, I'm not sure this update actually fixes much of anything. Levels will go up more often, particularly for people just starting out, but once you get to later levels, even getting a 100% Platinum won't progress your level. Not that it should, but it starts off as gaining something like 22 Levels off a 100% which just sounds kind of silly. I suppose the new system makes Bronze Trophies feel more valuable, but that kind of describes this update in general. The numbers are bigger and will increase more often, causing more people to chase the numbers (presumably). Not sure I've actually met anyone that cares about Trophy Level in and of itself, at best it's a quick way to gauge what kind of player they are/how long they've had a Sony account.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

Of course you don't see a flock, the change literally just happened. That being said, if Sony didn't think people were interested though, do you think they'd waste the time/money on this change?

Clearly there's interest, or at the very least there's interest in getting more people involved with the trophy community.

Still, I don't think we ever got a big surge of people just jumping onto the trophy system. People just gradually came and decided to do trophy hunting over the years. It's like achievements on Xbox. Some people will aim for them, most people will just play the games and enjoy them as they are without achievements in mind.

Color me surprised if what you say is true, otherwise I stand by my statement.

Yes, but the change they made was just stupid. It's why a number of us here are bitching about it.

19 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

While you guys are focused on EZ plats being overpowered for Trophy Hunters

Of course we focus on that, as that is out interest.

24 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Sony is trying to get more people entrenched into the PSN ecosystem and spend less time and money outside of it. 

And as I said, it would be positive if more people got involved in the trophy system (and, by default, the Sony "ecosystem"), for pretty much all parties involved. Certainly more interested folks in trophies will make it more fun to brag about my own. If Sony can profit from it, so much the better.

But I question whether old customers will suddenly become interested in trophies due to the level changes, and I question whether new customers will be lured into the ecosystem because of a trophy system which has a duplicate in MS. I guess we'll see?

13 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I wish the leveling system took PSN rarity into account (hear me out). Super weekend mode is 90% on PSN... I think they could have kept these values at 180, but increased it for other games that are uncommon, rare, or very rare. The only problem with this is decreasing in level based on rarity, but eh, can't be perfect.

At least it would've made the system a little more balanced. Lol.

Yes, but the effect would be that you level isn't fixed anymore, rarities of games can change a lot over time. If a game enters PS+, the rarity usually increases, as the common folk gives it a try and leaves. Saw this e.g on Rebel Galaxy, that game is easy but you have to grind a bit to plat it.

It can go the other way around too, Sims 4 for example turned from a numbing grind into a 2-hour plat thanks to the import feature they added later on. 

And while defining a fixed rarity/difficulty rating on release would make levels predictable again, you can bet that Rata games would instantly get the "Mein Leben" difficulty flag for their plats...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcdfan said:

And while defining a fixed rarity/difficulty rating on release would make levels predictable again, you can bet that Rata games would instantly get the "Mein Leben" difficulty flag for their plats...

I don't want to even think about this.

Honestly this is the definition of pandering to casual gamers, I would have been fine with just increasing the level cap and updating the icons, but this new system is absolutely unnecessary and it feels like sony are just trying to freshen things up for all the wrong reasons, gg sony for the most pointless update/gimmick you have put out in years (or possibly ever) and fucking up the perfectly fine trophy system you have put in place since July 2, 2008.

RIP OG trophy system 07/02/2008-10/07/2020

you will be missed.

• Like 1

I just think it is dumb and didnt need fixing. I mean if they wanted to increase the level so people could go past 100 fine, but my current level is something I accomplished, this new level is just some random number and i dont really care what i am at now.

It would be like being in Grade 11 and then being told you are now in grade 300 and you graduate at grade 515...they are just meaningless numbers that serve no point.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, relentless-blur said:

Honestly this is the definition of pandering to casual gamers, I would have been fine with just increasing the level cap and updating the icons, but this new system is absolutely unnecessary and it feels like sony are just trying to freshen things up for all the wrong reasons, gg sony for the most pointless update/gimmick you have put out in years (or possibly ever) and fucking up the perfectly fine trophy system you have put in place since July 2, 2008.

RIP OG trophy system 07/02/2008-10/07/2020

you will be missed.

Agree. Sony is herding the sheep in.

1 minute ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I just think it is dumb and didnt need fixing. I mean if they wanted to increase the level so people could go past 100 fine, but my current level is something I accomplished, this new level is just some random number and i dont really care what i am at now.

It would be like being in Grade 11 and then being told you are now in grade 300 and you graduate at grade 515...they are just meaningless numbers that serve no point.

I was Level 49, almost Level 50, now I'm in the 500s. Makes Level History completely worthless now.

3 minutes ago, HellOfaHunter said:

it's just like big grinding game inside the trophy system to get Platinum icon next to your level. no thanks I will keep playing quality games.

Same here. I had some sense of care for my PSN level. Now it doesn't mean shit to me anymore.

Edited by Spaz

30 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

Yes, but the effect would be that you level isn't fixed anymore, rarities of games can change a lot over time. If a game enters PS+, the rarity usually increases, as the common folk gives it a try and leaves. Saw this e.g on Rebel Galaxy, that game is easy but you have to grind a bit to plat it.

It can go the other way around too, Sims 4 for example turned from a numbing grind into a 2-hour plat thanks to the import feature they added later on. 

That's what I meant by potential to decrease in level. I should have clarified that more, but yeah, the dips in rarity would make your level too variable at times, I agree.

Sony could always just blacklist trophies from certain developers (cough cough rata) from counting towards your level.

I mean, do that and you satisfy like 90% of the people who don't like the new system.

I think the level cap should just be removed entirely or made to 9999 and restart at 1* once you reached it, but I don't find it as big of a deal as the increase in plat points.

1 minute ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

That's what I meant by potential to decrease in level. I should have clarified that more, but yeah, the dips in rarity would make your level too variable at times, I agree.

Sony could always just blacklist trophies from certain developers (cough cough rata) from counting towards your level.

I mean, do that and you satisfy like 90% of the people who don't like the new system.

I think the level cap should just be removed entirely or made to 9999 and restart at 1* once you reached it, but I don't find it as big of a deal as the increase in plat points.

sony just supporting these developers more and more. that's just abuse of the whole system.

Edited by HellOfaHunter

1 minute ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Yeh, there is imo no need for a ceiling on these levels, just leave it open for you to earn what you can as a ‘lifetime’ achievement or whatever.

Does XB Gamerscore get capped?

Just seems a bit pointless and more so given how easy it easy for lower levels to hit over level 200 very quickly. 

I do wish being at lvl 80 pre update, i’d have hit 100 naturally, as it was always my goal to get there and a milestone I set after I hit lvl 50 a while back. It was that sort of “wow I never thought i’d hit 50” and then when I did and got nearer 100, was like “I want that 3 digit goal now”.

My aim now is to hit 999 and wait for the PS6! ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:
  • Levels 200 - 299: 450 points (30 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 300 - 399: 900 points (60 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 400 - 499: 1350 points (90 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 500 - 599: 1800 points (120 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 600 - 699: 2250 points (150 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 700 - 799: 2700 points (180 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 800 - 899: 3150 points (210 bronzes) per level up
  • Levels 900 - 999: 3600 points (240 bronzes) per level up

Will be interesting to see how different trophy sites will handle 999+. Just continue to use 3600 points per level, or add another 450 points per 100th level.

14 minutes ago, DoctorDrPepper said:

But really, this is useless and dumb, but at the end of the day my level was never my driving goal, it still is and will continue to be my platinum count. And that hasn't changed a bit.

I got too many games to play anyway to just leave now. As long as the trophy rarities on this website and the value of the bronze/silver/gold trophy are still intact, I'll be more content than upset.