New Platinum Trophy Value and Trophy Level Formula

NathanielJohn

@NathanielJohnGreat work on figuring out the math. 

I'd say overall it is a plus. More new people might get into trophy hunting and there are less players at that max level (down from thousands to +-100). I feel people who get region stacks of Rat games were doing it anyway already. Perhaps people might play a bit more of those games now, but in the long run I'd think it's a good step. Would like to have seen it become harder and harder as you reach higher levels and not the same pattern over and over.

1 hour ago, Mayellie said:

I am not against change. I'm against stupidly unnecessary and detrimental change, which this is. All they had to do was remove the cap for super high-levelled people, and adjust platinums for rarity, so the rarer an obtained plat is, the more you progress.

They did neither. ?

The issue with it being based off rarity would be when the platinum changes rarity. Would you lose points as the rarity goes down or would you just retain the points at the time you earned the platinum at that rarity? It would definitely up day one game sales for trophy hunters if that's the case which means $$$ especailly at $70 a pop for PS5 games, since you would want to platinum it as fast as possible for the lowest rarity. Most platinums for non-rat games and alike is under 10% anyways if you look at the Sony number and not the percentage on here.

I think the change will entice some people to hunt more for trophies as the casual gamers can actually see progress change at the beginning. There is more depth to the levels as a competition between friends, rather than saying I'm 65% through level 13 compared to someone being 12% through level 13. For most people on this site, it doesn't change anything, but it's not targeted toward the 1%...

As it stands the system still is a grind and is based off time and money anyways, so that didn't change. Now if they did make a changing score/rank based heavily on game rarity, we would see complaints the other way, but it would really mix things up to be fun. Someone finishing Crypt of the Necrodancer would probably be around 700 alone with that game. Rata games would be worth like maybe 1 or 2 levels at 1-100. Once the rarity drops, so does the levels making the levels change all the time.

Edited by Grotz99

5 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Well done. I don't mind the change. Didn't like having to spend a month or more playing games to level up. Felt too long. The grind will still be present. What is the big deal? 

the issue is leveling up doesnt feel like an acomplishment anymore now if you level up its just like whatever

• Like 3

Thx for introducing the new calculations ? @NathanielJohn

5 hours ago, djb5f said:

Since no change in value of bronze, silver, or gold trophies, that means no change in the calculation of completion % on this site.  That metric always interested me more than trophy level.

Same here. Ultimately I do this only for me. So I basically care only about my very personal scale. If I really want to compare myself to other gamers than I have to look way more deeply into trophy lists (as no simple statistic can give me a good comparison on an equal base .. well, as long as nobody plays the exact same games ?).

5 hours ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

I hope this site will allow us the ability to switch between the old & new systems when the new system eventually gets implemented.

That would be great! I mean just for the sake of keeping my "planned level milestones" ?

Edited by HeinrichReich
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AerisFlowerGirl said:

My friend and I were discussing last night how pointless this would be if it was not a smooth curve-like experience increase, and here we are. All it did was make a numbers bigger, and like usual, the higher numbers feel worthless. Someone with literally 15 plats can be level 200, while it takes 200ish plats to reach 500. The average person will look at the higher numbers and go "well I have level 200 with my very little work, so them having level 500 isn't impressive." And that is what bugs me. What they should have done is either had levels go well beyond 999, or indefinitely. Or, make the curve in the high 900 range crazy. Like so crazy, even Hakoom wouldn't be max rank yet. I'm all for that because max level in something like this should show extreme dedication. Now like 100 people are already going to be max when they are updated.without anything to work for. Do they care? Probably not, but if I was that high in trophy count I would. I have literally never received a compliment on my trophy level and I don't expect to now. In comparison, I receive tons of compliments on my gamerscore over on Xbox. Someone who completed 10 games and has 10,000 gamerscore can look at my nearly 500k gamerscore and go holy shit. Someone with 15 plats is going to look at me with my trophy level 500 and shrug because they are nearly halfway to my level on 15 plats. It is stupid now that I've had time to process it.

But as you guys said, Sony doesn't care about the dedicated trophy hunters that shell out thousands a year on dumb games and put in hundreds of hours on their system. They just look at the $$$ that could be gained from even just one brand new person buying a Playstation system. Not going to lie, I'm not an Xbox fangirl by any means but at least they are pointed way further in the right direction as far as customer service goes. Now they just need some good exclusives to make the console worth owning... 

Sorry if this turned into a rant. I do like that Sony has implemented something like this but in the end it doesn't really do anything.

This is a great post. Hit the nail on the head. The amount of people who cared about this, I think, has now decreased. The people who will have started on PSN with their brand new PS5, even if they're a young person might look at the trophy system with a mild curiosity and then ignore it. When they get the new Spider-Man platinum and jump up to Level 15, they'll look at someone at the Level cap and say "good for them."

I think those of you here who think this'll bring more gamers into the PSN ecosystem and care about trophies, and eventually to this site are wishful thinkers. They're going to continue to play their handful of AAA games and not give a damn about indies, other innovative small games and completely ignore the trophy level ups that they gain.

The Xbox points structure seems much more worthwhile, like Aeris said here. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SNACH2497 said:

This is a great post. Hit the nail on the head. The amount of people who cared about this, I think, has now decreased. The people who will have started on PSN with their brand new PS5, even if they're a young person might look at the trophy system with a mild curiosity and then ignore it. When they get the new Spider-Man platinum and jump up to Level 15, they'll look at someone at the Level cap and say "good for them."

I think those of you here who think this'll bring more gamers into the PSN ecosystem and care about trophies, and eventually to this site are wishful thinkers. They're going to continue to play their handful of AAA games and not give a damn about indies, other innovative small games and completely ignore the trophy level ups that they gain.

The Xbox points structure seems much more worthwhile, like Aeris said here. 

Yes this update killed trophy hunting for me. I no longer care about it.

3 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

Level 99-100 takes 60 points, level 100-101 takes 90 points.

Level 199-200 takes 90 points, level 200-201 takes 450 points.

And so on.

It's a shame. The concept was interesting but the execution was poor. If they were going to change the level system to tiers then the points to level up should be consistent throughout the tiers.

For example...

1 - 299 (2000 points per level up)

300 - 599 (4000 points per level up)

600 - 998 (8000 points per level up)

999 (16000 points to max)

They really didn't think this one through...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, N1NJ4_V4MP1R3 said:

To give a real life example of this new trophy system in action, my sister just finished TLOU2 and was super excited to get a gold which raised her up a level on its own with the new system. She’s had a PS4 since last Christmas and this system is waaaaay more exciting for people like her with newer PSNs. 

Probably it'll be very good for new players... For old players it did not change much

Personally, I'm looking forward to leveling up more often.  As it was, it felt like it took forever sometimes, depending on what I was playing.

I think as long as you play stuff that has meaning to you and that takes at least a little time, then leveling up faster will be good.  If you play stuff that's quick and you really don't care about, then the quick levels will probably make it seem even more pointless and meaningless than it already does.

I'd also guess that this will result in more people getting interested in trophies, especially newer players along with the PS5.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, visvoer18 said:

the issue is leveling up doesnt feel like an acomplishment anymore now if you level up its just like whatever

Why is that a big deal? It'll still feel like an accomplishment, especially for upper levels. The 'accomplishment' is obtaining the Platinum anyways. 

Leveling up for the MAJORITY (casual players) took AGES. When I didn't trophy hunt hardcore it would take half a year. Now I actively hunt daily and it still takes 3-6 weeks. WAY too long. 

Edited by MikeCheck--

7 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

I think this site should stay how it is. A lot seem to prefer the old style. 

Uh no, it needs to incorporate the new system, it’s supposed to be the trophy system as Sony has it, not creating our own. 

3 hours ago, FrediPy_ said:

I can understand that some people are not happy or even upset by the change, especially those who cared about milestones and put effort on in. Makes sense.

But I can’t believe there are people SO mad about it that are considering quitting. There are really despressing messages on this thread, like if somebody just died. It doesn’t make sense, it’s pointless, all my efforts flushed away, not fun anymore, Sony is the worst, etc. I feel really sad about them.

Never forget this is about having fun, above all.

I don’t see how it changes milestones, seeing as the trophy number stays the same.

1 hour ago, Scion_of_Umbra said:

It's a shame. The concept was interesting but the execution was poor. If they were going to change the level system to tiers then the points to level up should be consistent throughout the tiers.

For example...

1 - 299 (2000 points per level up)

300 - 599 (4000 points per level up)

600 - 998 (8000 points per level up)

999 (16000 points to max)

They really didn't think this one through...

Lol they definitely did. Makes perfect sense to me, people just have a problem with change and think any change is worse than what we had, when it really isn’t. they just changed the scale. Talk about an overreaction.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

Working on a level used to be fun. Now I don't inherently dislike changes to the trophies, i dislike the simple "just make the numbers bigger and go for the cheap platinum" approach. Like buying a bad game for real money just for a easy platinum with no real work put into it.

Maybe I am just old fashioned xD

2 minutes ago, Desomorphin said:

Working on a level used to be fun. Now I don't inherently dislike changes to the trophies, i dislike the simple "just make the numbers bigger and go for the cheap platinum" approach. Like buying a bad game for real money just for a easy platinum with no real work put into it.

Maybe I am just old fashioned xD

You’ve got this logic like we’re still on the old system, it’s more or less the same except the level scales changed, you’re literally in the same place you were, just updated to the new system. Not hard to understand. 

11 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

I don’t see how it changes milestones, seeing as the trophy number stays the same.

Sure it does. What I meant is that some people aimed to level up at the same time of achieving a certain trophy (typically a platinum or a hard/significant trophy). That disappears with the level redistribution, as you don't level up at the exact same amount of points.

The level history with the old system is still there on this website, but I guess it will change soon.

using the Big platinum icon for level 999 only is the worst thing. that mean i should buy a lot of games (cheap ones) to take that icon next to my level. 

the only thing sony do better from this new calculation system  is for those cheap publishers, and those scum games, not for us. We as players should stop support such games and NOT to pay a penny for them.

For me I will play the way I like best quality games no matter what. 

• Like 1