Trophylevel Update on psnprofiles

3 hours ago, Ragowit said:

How will you handle the levels beyond 1000? Keep it at 3600 points per level or add another 450 points for each 100th level?

There is a clear trend of it increasing every 100 levels. I would prefer this site keeps that streak going. 

Edited by JayVR82
same thing twice
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sly Ripper said:

We calculate the level independent of what's on your PSN account to take hidden trophies into consideration and apply a level to the platform leaderboards. I'll probbaly wait for the process to be completed for everyone before switching over. Also to make sure the calculations are solid.

I don't know what to do with the level history section, seems a little useless now. Previous level trophies will be different and you'll almost be seeing every 4th bronze trophy.

Maybe you could do a Rank Up history? Where we go through the different levels of bronze, silver, gold and 999 platinum? 

• Like 4

My profile updated on my ps3 last night, but hasn't updated on my ps4 yet. I earned the platinum for Black Mirror today on my ps4 too and it won't update my platinum count from 54 to 55 on psn profiles or psn on the ps4. Hopefully they fix all these issues soon

10 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

I did and it changed to the new level and changed back. Going to try and earn another today, see what happens.

Yeah, the update is rolling out in an odd manner. I've got friends who haven't been online in months or years that have their trophy level updated already. I'm going to assume that they're converting the accounts one-by-one, though I'm not sure how they're sorting the list since I see active players and inactive players already updated, as well as >400 and <100. Doesn't seem to be related to PSN ID nor creation date either, though perhaps it's sorted by some backend GUID which would be far more random. I expect it to be fully rolled out in a few days. I could calculate what my new level will be, but I like the idea of it being a surprise update.

6 hours ago, Rebourne07 said:

Maybe you could do a Rank Up history? Where we go through the different levels of bronze, silver, gold and 999 platinum? 

Strictly speaking, I suppose the current history could be maintained for posterity. The new rank ups should be able to be retroactively calculated since the date and thus order of trophies is already in the database. That sounds like something of a Herculean task mass updating every profile, but it can probably be scripted to simply run through a few hundred trophies and generate the history over the span of multiple updates. Otherwise, it can probably maintain a similar functionality to what we have, just make it so it only displays something like every 5, 10, or 50 levels depending on zoom and current level. So someone under level 200 might just see every 5 levels as a milestone unless they zoom in.

After spending nearly a decade slowly moving all the way up to lvl 50, and current on lvl44, seeing myself and all my friends suddenly change to seemingly nonsensically high numbers.

I could roughly remember what my friends were all on, now it's just all over the place.

Level all seems a bit meaningless now. I keep looking at my level, 500 something, still can't seem to memorise it, but I guess I just don't care about it anymore.

This site should definitely keep the old system as well as a new one. The old system is better.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

After spending nearly a decade slowly moving all the way up to lvl 50, and current on lvl44, seeing myself and all my friends suddenly change to seemingly nonsensically high numbers.

I could roughly remember what my friends were all on, now it's just all over the place.

Not to mention that more than 100 players are already at level 999. Sony should adjust the levels accordingly. Crawling up to 999 should be a grind even for guys like Hakoom.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sly Ripper said:

I don't know what to do with the level history section, seems a little useless now. Previous level trophies will be different and you'll almost be seeing every 4th bronze trophy.

I would suggest just doing only every tenth level (10, 20, 30, ...), this should have roughly the same amount of data points, and still gives me an impression of different speeds of progression over time.

• Like 4

I think it'd be nice to keep the old one but of course have a new one along side it under Level History.

Perhaps with the new one it displays the trophy/game that bumped you into the next tier (Bronze tier 1, 2, 3 etc), and maybe also a summary of what type of trophies where earned and how the points were divided up throughout that tier.

For example:

Silver tier 2

:platinum: 23 (4,650) :gold: 32 (3,400) :silver: 98 (4,200) :bronze: 176 (3,630)

Or alternatively how many types of trophies contributed to jumping a level.

Level 3 - :gold: 1 :silver: 2

Level 2 - :silver: 3

Level 1 - :bronze: 4

Numbers are completely random, I have no idea how it's all calculated haha

I would also suggest to keep both old and new levels for some time to let things settle down.

Right now I am extremely confused when looking at friends levels.

Example:

I was level 100 (118 based on psnprofiles) and my friend was 39. So I was like 3 times higher level.

Now I am 859 and he is 500.

I mean I do understand  that calculations are different but seeing level 500 tells me nothing now. Level 39 however told me a lot about approximate number of trophies.

Just saying that I (and not only me probably) need some time to get used to it and old levels would help for this transition

Edited by vanslayder

I was genuinely looking forward to Level History section being updated. I love to see little milestones, as meaningless as it might be to some. Idk it's just fun to see a list of which trophies got me where, and if I'm happy with which game it came from. 

I think it'd be useless to keep old system, simple because obviously sony doesn't recognize it anymore. What would be the point when it's not recognized on my actual profile on psn.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fizzgiglatte said:

I think it'd be useless to keep old system, simple because obviously sony doesn't recognize it anymore. What would be the point when it's not recognized on my actual profile on psn.

Not to mention that keeping the old system would mean two different rankings, because of the difference in platinum trophies (180 or 300 points)

• Like 3

Certainly need to wait until Sony can actually get the new system to work. I woke yesterday at level 28, earned a trophy and went to 414. Last night I earned a trophy and I'm back at 28.

As much as I dislike the new level system it will eventually need to be adopted to show like for like, if its permanent. Shame about milestones, my Super Street Fighter 4 platinum landed on me reaching old level 20. Just shows you shouldn't take any of it seriously as it can be taken away in a flash.

It was an unnecessary change aimed to appease casual gamers. All they needed to do was raise the level cap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FawltyPowers said:

Certainly need to wait until Sony can actually get the new system to work. I woke yesterday at level 28, earned a trophy and went to 414. Last night I earned a trophy and I'm back at 28.

As much as I dislike the new level system it will eventually need to be adopted to show like for like, if its permanent. Shame about milestones, my Super Street Fighter 4 platinum landed on me reaching old level 20. Just shows you shouldn't take any of it seriously as it can be taken away in a flash.

It was an unnecessary change aimed to appease casual gamers. All they needed to do was raise the level cap.

Didn't it raise the end threshold anyway? 

And yeah, maybe newer players or more casual ones are the ones who benefit most, but it might make them more likely to actually complete games and all. No problem making gaming, accomplishments, and being a completionist feel better for people like that. I saw someone earlier in this thread mention their sister who's newer to psn get a gold trophy and feel real good. 

Idk, it's potentially gonna lead to more wholesome moments like that. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Faaip de Oiad said:

Not to mention that more than 100 players are already at level 999. Sony should adjust the levels accordingly. Crawling up to 999 should be a grind even for guys like Hakoom.

Yes it is bizarre they didn't raise it higher. I mean they should have made the value about half, so like everyone on 999 now should be 500, Mine should be 260 instead of the 520 or so it is now.

I mean, they changed it because too many people were at 100? But already many people are already at 999. It's dumb and yeah Hakoom was at lvl 100 for years and now he is going to be at lv999 indefinitely.

Imagine is by the time PS6 or whatever comes out and they need to level up to 9999. At that point may as well just have total points, like XBox achievements.

But yeah, it's almost impossible to be below level 100, the whole level system is a bit worthless now, Lvl 550 means nothing to me. The more levels you have, the less of an achievement it is by the time you get it.

PS BTW I have a Japanese account, that I use to buy Japanese games and I've only completed about 3 games or so on it. Guess what level that account is?

LEVEL 51! It's already higher than my current real level of 44. It is honestly a joke and too easy to get to lvl 100 now.

Edited by enaysoft

13 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

But yeah, it's almost impossible to be below level 100, the whole level system is a bit worthless now, Lvl 550 means nothing to me. The more levels you have, the less of an achievement it is by the time you get it.

PS BTW I have a Japanese account, that I use to buy Japanese games and I've only completed about 3 games or so on it. Guess what level that account is?

LEVEL 51! It's already higher than my current real level of 44. It is honestly a joke and too easy to get to lvl 100 now.

I think this is more psychological than anything. Honestly, if this was the system we always had, I bet you'd probably think differently because you don't have a pre-existing standard of what level is top. In your head, you're stuck on 100 being the top and most valuable level. That just isn't it anymore. 

There were possibly slightly better ways to implement this, like making the stretches between the Bronze, Silver, and Gold emblems take a bit more than they do, but simple changing the numbers around and making levels 1-100 common and casual isn't the problem. 

• Like 1