Would you like a true Alphabetical trophy list

So recently i messaged the site owner detailing my entire trophy list with all the games that i would like to be altered so that when i choose to view my list alphabetically its actually in alphabetical form, i did the work myself with the games on my list and for the most part, to have the games in the right order all thats needed is an added decimal here or there, or specifically for games 1st in a franchise that always lists at the bottom, (Ie: Uncharted games list in the order of 2, 3, 4, then 1)  changing the decimals for a full stop or something would do the trick, certain games having the "edition" in the title to be edited out also solves the issue, like farcry classic, the classic doesnt need to be there, its not part of the game title anyway and the games thumbnails usually display if a game is an edition, so to add it to the title is only disrupting the alphabetical further.

Anyway the site owner replied with saying that i should post a thread and see if any users react, so here i am asking for your support, i know some wont care, but a lot of trophy hunters have a very big issue with this, mostly to the point where people just create their own lists, as were all completionists and collectors and spend years of our lives, hours upon hours working on our trophy lists and it would be nice to have the option, the opportunity at least to view in a correct order. 

There seems to be confusion in what im trying to ask, its simply a case of cleaning the alphabetical order, in a few ways it can be done, simply changing some of the decimals into full stops will fix most of the games, specificly the 1st games in the franchise that always sit under the 2nd and so on, beyond that its small fixes, like the metal gear solid games, 2 3 and 4 are numbered, 5 for some reason is a roman numeral, simply changing the "V" to a "5" sorts it, the same with the battlefield games, why have some numbers and some roman numerals it doesnt make sense, another thing to fix is some of the assassins creed games, among many others the games miss the : meaning theyre not alphabetically in sync with the games that do have the : in place...

Im not asking for complete renaming of games here, im not asking for game names to be altered... simply a brush up to put games in their correct postion or why even bother with an alphabetical tab in the first place...

so please hit like and feel free to comment if this frustrates you as well, judging by what the owner stated, its something theyll fix if a decent amount of people respond, even if it doesnt really bother you, hit like and help boost the traction in the thread and support those who do care, thnks 

Edited by Shmeefly
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

Since 1 comes after 2, evidently not.

LOL, all developers should name each game that is not a sequel "Title" 1just in case a sequel comes along later and people can have their in tact alphabetical lists. New rule in game making: "Always assume a sequel when naming your games."

• Like 1

Yes but Trine for example is called Trine isnt it, regardless of the Enhanced edition, its still just Trine, the edition is a selling point mostly, i mean theres other games where the edition isnt included in the title, some that did have but have already been renamed to just show the main game title, Air Conflicts Vietnam for example had its edition part removed and its better for it, "true" alphabetical is seeing list of games like trine, or uncharted or the countless others in correct order,  2, 3, 4 then 1 isnt the correct order is it, and as i said most games literally just need a couple of dots added or removed to fix 90% of the games out of order so, its just not consistent, like the assassins creed games, at the end of the main title theres supposed to be  ":" separating the franchise title from the game title, some of the assassins creed games neglect these decimals so simply popping one in would fix the issue

Quite hostile for a moderator in my opinion, not sure whats hard to understand about wanting to see something ive worked over 11 years on in order, its 1 2 3 4, not 2 3 4 1 dude, the decimals can be replaced with a full stop, we lose a barely recocnisable dot and gain correct order... and heres the kicker, would take barely a second to change

Edited by Shmeefly
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

To add to this, it would be nice if sorting by alphabetical order would also correctly sort anything that begins with "The". This doesn't belong in the T section by properalphabetical sorting.

Im ok with The being in the T section, the is part of the title to me

• Like 1

Just now, BeautifulTorment said:

Well the way it is done now is wrong, so, i guess you can carry on making the rules up as you go if you like, you do you.

What makes something wrong? If it was truly wrong it wouldn't be so prevalent. I didn't make it up, it's easily the most common method for sorting games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

What makes something wrong? If it was truly wrong it wouldn't be so prevalent. I didn't make it up, it's easily the most common method for sorting games.

Standard alphabetical sorting omits the 'The', so you don't end up with lists a mile long in the T section. It's standard practice and is technically correct.

The wrong way is the current way, and while it may be common, is still wrong.

• Like 4

Technically this site already does that. Some Assassin's Creed games are shortened to AC on trophy lists officially, but this site changes the name to the full name for ease. It also changes Observers name by removing the special characters like underscores and the less/ more than symbols. But I do agree, that it would be cool to have custom lists, I would love the Tomb Raider games to be stacked on top of each other instead of the T, R, and S sections.

Edited by BestUsername----
  • Like 1

I would love for "the" to be omitted when sorting. It is indeed how you're supposed to sort alphabetically, and it makes it way easier to find games. 

As for editions, I think it's important to include them. I for one prefer differentiating between "Tomb Raider" and "Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition," as they are different things on my shelf. Sure they're the same "base" game but they are different versions that are denoted by their name, and I don't see the point in removing that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

Standard alphabetical sorting omits the 'The', so you don't end up with lists a mile long in the T section. It's standard practice and is technically correct.

The wrong way is the current way, and while it may be common, is still wrong.

It's not "technically" correct at all. They are simply two different methods of doing things. The fact that this method is becoming more common just shows we're changing the way things are done, making it just as valid as the other. If this method was the "wrong" way of doing things, I'm sure massive companies like Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo could have managed to incorporate it into their storefronts, but they clearly chose not to and instead just went with another valid method.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BestUsername---- said:

Technically this site already does that. Some Assassin's Creed games are shortened to AC on trophy lists officially, but this site changes the name to the full name for ease. It also changes Observers name by removing the special characters like underscores and the less/ more than symbols. But I do agree, that it would be cool to have custom lists, I would love the Tomb Raider games to be stacked on top of each other instead of the T, R, and S sections.

The official name of the games are Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Assassin's Creed: Revelations respectively, the AC was merely laziness with naming the trophy set, however i agree the site is good at helping keep majority in relative order its just not consistent, hense this thread to just sort things in order, games with The should be in the T section, as it starts with T, franchise that have multiple games should be consistent with placing the dots so its all the same therefore would be soted alphabetically by default, maning if someone neglects to add some : then it wouldnt alphabeticalise with the games that do, check the AC games for reference, and with the first title of every franchise always being at the bottom could be fixed by changing :  to . Or something similar that manipulates the way the alphabetical is auto sorted in favor, this would only need to be changed on the games first entry to bump it to the top of its games set as it should be, i also mentioned the tomb raidr games, tricky with them but i suggested maybe doing this. Tomb Raider: Rise Of The Tomb Raider etc so it would group them

22 minutes ago, SolsVGR said:

I would love for "the" to be omitted when sorting. It is indeed how you're supposed to sort alphabetically, and it makes it way easier to find games. 

As for editions, I think it's important to include them. I for one prefer differentiating between "Tomb Raider" and "Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition," as they are different things on my shelf. Sure they're the same "base" game but they are different versions that are denoted by their name, and I don't see the point in removing that.

True but if adding the edition alters the position it shouldnt be there, like i mentioned the thumbnails 99% of the time show the edition of the game just fine without it screwing up the order

The site has always ordered games alphanumerically when going off the list of games you own, or when going via the individual alphabetic sorting categories on the games list. In alphanumeric systems, usually, special characters such as !, #, @ are given higher priority than numbers, and in turn, numbers are given higher priority over alphabetical characters. At the very least, it should, because that's how it is programmed.

UEB97TL.png

As you can see, due to this sorting priority, Dark Souls: Remastered will never come before Dark Souls II, similarly, most franchises will not order as you might like because in most cases the '2' or '3' titled entry will be prioritized over the first game in the series.

Spoiler

UEa7vFe.png

Do please excuse the spoiler, the image is rather long. But, as you can see here, even the special characters follow an order priority in which information that starts with a given character will be ordered before other entries regardless what the name of the title might be. So a title named, "-A Game This Is" and another named ".Zist is a Game" the later will be ordered before the former.

To further explain some outliers that may be confusing, consider these cases

Spoiler

Tr3n0c3.png2vjsz8v.pngLWBg6Th.png

MC7GrBj.png MC7GrBj.png

In the case of Borderlands, because the name ends with just its name, with no ':' or subtext, it is given a listed order ahead of the other three games. This is the same case for La Mulana in how it is ordered. In Ni no Kuni's case, the name of the first game has an excessive amount of sub text (keep in mind NNK WotWW is not the original version of this game, and, is in fact, an extension of this particular games story) and so the II (considered to be the fourth 'word' in the title) is ordered before W, because I comes before W in the alphabet. In Alien Breed's case, a ' ' has higher priority than a ':' and so the 2nd and 3rd items in the series are placed before the first game.

I hope this adequately explains how order priority is given when ordered alpha numerically. Please note that the search function does now return results alpha numerically as that search populates entirely based off the text you've searched for.

Edited by Dreggit
  • Like 1

Yes i know its that way, what im trying to say is that with a few manual tweaks the order priority can be manipulated in favor, ie: change Alien Breed: Impact to Alien Breed. Impact, or something else that works, that would push Impact to the top of the list (of alien breed games) keep the : on 2 and 3 just change Impact.  tada... alphabetical now fixed at the expense of a single dot, or some other key that works, Ni No Kuni II can be changed to Ni No Kuni 2, along with all roman numeric games, simple manual tweaks really to put things in order?

I get everyone has personal preference to the the order they think games should be in, and no matter what it will never be perfect, but this site could do more for its users in that regard, regardless of personal preference at the very least changing the decimals around to put that first game at the top of each franchise would be welcome all round, changes can be made at least to improve the alphabetical tab, or creating a custom tab where we can stack our games where we want would be the best option, that way everyone wins, even creating a skin over each title so we can rename them to how we like. I know A LOT of trophy hunters that create their own digital lists because no site supports any type of custom list, would it really be too much creating a tab in which we can rename and place in the order we want, that would be the only way everyones happy, but i dont see that happening so im trying get some sort of clean up 

Note that Ni No Kuni 1 misses its decimals separating the franchise from the game, doesnt take 2 secs to add one, 2 has it, most games do, some neglect it, in some cases it screws up the alphabetical where it wouldnt if the decimals were there

Also note that dark souls (original) and the dark souls remaster have 2 completely different thumbnails, the remaster clearly states that its a remaster, so then delete the remaster in the title, it will put it where it belongs and the thumbnail will still say remastered, see what im getting at? Simple, at least in my head its simple i mean if its a case of laziness to change the titles to suit the order id do it myself if the owners let me lol, but better yet give us all the tools in a custom made tab n we can all put our games in the right places then cant we

Edited by Shmeefly

I would like seeing a better alphabetical order, for sure. The way it currently works is messy. I hate seeing the first entry of a franchise for last, like the way it is with Uncharted. In my trophy list, for example, there are sequels that comes first, like "Guacamelee 2" and "Guns, Gore and Cannoli 2", it sucks. And I also agree that letter T should be supressed, "The Order 1886" should be on letter O. 

It would be amazing If at least we had the option to choose this "correct" alphabetical order. But nice changes are hard to come by on psnp and, when It does happen, a lot of people complains and beg for the old way of things. But, yeah, I hope @Shmeefly suggestion gets more attention and maybe It becomes possible, who knows.

PS.: why don't we vote for this option? I just hope people don't start with "there are better things to be implemented first". 

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of changing the original title. The game title should be shown here as intended by the developer.

-How about an option to sort by release date.

-It would also be nice to be able to switch between first to last and vice versa within all sorting.

I would also be willing to pay for a corresponding amount of work.

• Like 1

If the site implemented a custom tab where we could reskin the names of the games (even only for personal viewing so whatever we renamed the title to would still show the original to anyone else that views the user), and allowed us to put our list in our own order in said custom tab, i would also be willing to pay for this, they could create this and put it behind a 'premium plus' pay wall or something, this would work in everyones favor that uses psnp, including the people that own the site, its benefiting them cos they make money, and it benefits every user that wants to purchase premium plus for the personal customisation, keeping the original titles for those that view peoples profiles that dont want change are also getting their way as things arent changed by default. Everyones a winner and the site makes more money in the process. @Sly Ripper

Edited by Shmeefly