Sony Launching New PS Store on Web and Mobile This Month

Aranea Highwind

OK, just had a look at the web Store. Still showing PS3, PS2 Classics, Vita and PSP games in the UK Store.

However, I can confirm that the download list and download queue are gone from the main top menu, and have been replaced by "Game Library". Download Queue is now "Downloads".

It appears you can still download PS4 games from the website, however, this new Library doesn't show any PS3 or Vita games in your collection. 

Avatars and themes appear to be gone, but curiously the Ghost of Tsushima soundtrack I got as a pre-order bonus is there(?). [Worst bonus ever IMO, GoT has the least amount of music in any game of it's type I have played]. But I digress...

PSA: PSDLE does NOT work (for me at least) in the new Game Library. I was seriously regretting not downloading one last CSV of my game library but I just managed to run it on the homepage, i.e. https://store.playstation.com/ your store location and thankfully it worked, downloading everything including all my Vita and PS3 games. 

Another stupid "feature" of the Library is that it doesn't tell you what is cross-play anymore. Additionally, if I look at the product page for Hitman Go for example, the description text says "Playable on PS4 only", whereas because the Store hasn't fully updated yet, it still says playable on PS4 and Vita in the sidebar. 

If you haven't downloaded your library to a spreadsheet yet, please do it now if you still can.

I have no idea who thought this would be a good idea but the more I see the more I hate it.

2 hours ago, Draps-1337 said:

I was hoping they would add the feature to allow you to gift someone a game on their wishlist and it would auto-remove it for them. 

It would have been kind of handy for it to automatically remove games from the Wishlist you had bought yourself as well. Having to manually prune your Wishlist every time you bought a game was extremely ridiculous.

1 hour ago, NathanielJohn said:

I'm trying to make an overlay for the new store (similar to psprices, but that displays trophy information too). There's a list of all PS4 games at https://store.playstation.com/en-us/category/85448d87-aa7b-4318-9997-7d25f4d275a4/1, but I can't find a list of all PS5 games. Does anyone see one anywhere?

I'm still seeing the old Store (GB), there are literally no PS5 games on the website at all.

Will they delay listing PS5 games until the console starts shipping, or will they list the games ASAP so people can pre-order? (This is on the working assumption that anyone at Sony actually knows what they are doing of course). 

Edited by baboon_overlord
clarification of one point
  • Like 2

I'm not a big fan of the new Store either as I liked the old one with its filters, sorting options, actual details about the games and of course, all available content.  Hopefully Sony adds all the functionality back (except for the legacy content) and maybe I'll slowly get used to the change :(.  Interestingly, a  lot of comments on some other sites have people saying that they love the new look and that complainers are whingers so this will probably be another "success" in Sony's eyes.

4 hours ago, yndajas said:

? interesting. Last time I searched for APIs it just seemed like unofficial stuff, but this and another 'wrapper' do talk as though there's an official one.

Try using DuckDuckGo, Google is basically useless these days (assuming you used that) - https://duckduckgo.com/?q=playstation+api&ia=software

I think this is the most important link in the results, I would guess this is the official API dev kit link - https://auth.api.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.jsp

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baboon_overlord said:

Try using DuckDuckGo, Google is basically useless these days (assuming you used that) - https://duckduckgo.com/?q=playstation+api&ia=software

I think this is the most important link in the results, I would guess this is the official API dev kit link - https://auth.api.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.jsp

Thanks! I do use DuckDuckGo if I'm using Tor/if I notice something I want to find is being hidden from Google, but hadn't thought to use it for this kind of research!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ccase137 said:

Interestingly, a  lot of comments on some other sites have people saying that they love the new look and that complainers are whingers so this will probably be another "success" in Sony's eyes.

Or in other words, uber-normies who just visited it for the first time.

My brother used to be a pretty hardcore gamer before he got married and had a baby, but he's been a pretty casual gamer for the last few years. Not your normal FIFA/COD casual gamer, he plays mostly indie games like The Binding of Isaac. The other day I asked him when the last time he went to the web based version of the store was and he said he didn't know there was one! I swear, the people who are mostly likely to use the web store are the people who are most affected, and most unhappy about this. 

6 minutes ago, yndajas said:

if I notice something I want to find is being hidden from Google

Basically half the Internet at this point. DDG was a bit rubbish when I started using it, but it's pretty good now, and I would never go back to Google again. 

1 minute ago, Faaip de Oiad said:

I agree with most opinions here. The new design is garbage. I never like the big tiles.

Does anybody remember the design of the days of old?

new-playstation-storet3k0a.jpg

This was so much more snappier and responsive.

Fun fact: Microsoft updated their storefront recently and made an excellent job. You just can't write these stories. Sony stumbles from one disaster to the next.

I wouldn't give MS too much credit, the list of things they have destroyed is pretty much legendary at this point. Skype, LinkedIn, Office Suite (cloud-based Office - hard pass thanks) and many, many more. Not to mention dumbing down Windows to the extent that "Programs" are now "Apps" - no MS, if I want to do anything serious I want to use something called a "COMPUTER" not a crappy facsimile of a phone FFS.

Fun fact. I had a big project in London so stayed with my brother for a couple of months at his apartment. This was probably in 2012. The Internet went down and I couldn't do any more work so I decided to have a go on the XBox until it came back on again. Loaded a Halo game - "This game cannot be loaded because there is no Internet". Loaded a different game, same issue. Amazing. That was my one and only experience with XBox and I have no desire to go back. I know they don't do that anymore, but honestly if Sony screw the pooch then I will just retire from gaming. I'm not a fanboy but I just like Playstation. XBox can get stuffed.

I also got offered a very senior job at MS a few years ago. By that stage I had been working closely with several of their divisions and there was no way in hell I was going to work for them. Had a few offers from some other big Silicon Valley companies since then and said no to them as well. If you want to spend all day in pointless meetings speaking in acronyms then good for you, but I actually want to create and build things.

Screw MS, it's just a matter of time before they do something stupid (I'm guessing they are going to kill physical games forever if they haven't already, as an example).   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

I think I figured it out. Sony must have poached Todd "Sixteen times the detail; it just works" Howard from Bethesda as their new Store Director.

It all makes sense now. :) 

Not to mention Bethesda has been full of their own shit in recent times, especially with the way they gave their fans the middle finger after the disaster that was Fallout 76. 

Edited by Spaz

10 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Not to mention Bethesda has been full of their own shit in recent times, especially with the way they gave their fans the middle finger after the disaster that was Fallout 76. 

Agreed. Which is why I also brought up the new recording of Party Chats in the new ToS from Sony in this thread. Sony is going down the same dark path as all these other companies. 

There was one ultra-Bethesda fanboy who was actively replicating glitches, bugs and exploits in Fallout 76 and reporting them to Bethesda to help them fix their game. They banned him. FOR LIFE.

This is serious. The new Store, the new ToS (and "Code of Conduct" - if you know anything about the tech industry, you know what that means).

It's all linked. Let's not care what players want, let's ban players, let's confiscate their libraries (one way or another). 

This would never have happened if the Sony HQ was still in Japan. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

Screw MS, it's just a matter of time before they do something stupid (I'm guessing they are going to kill physical games forever if they haven't already, as an example).   

Oh, they certainly will. But as of October 2020, they've done more good than bad in recent times. Physical games have been dead on PC for a long time by now. That's just the way things evolved. I wouldn't blame a particular company for that. All publishers want discs to die out.

@SpazThe image was pulled from the internet. It took me a few minutes to find a pic that wasn't complete shite.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

Agreed. Which is why I also brought up the new recording of Party Chats in the new ToS from Sony in this thread. Sony is going down the same dark path as all these other companies. 

I’m not as old as some people here but I’ve been around the gaming industry long enough to know that what Sony is doing is basically the equivalent of what EA has done over the past decade. 

Remember how EA handled Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3? All three games were panned by critics, and I don’t think it was so much BioWare/Viscereal Games doing as it was EA meddling with shit. 

What’s happening to Sony reminds me exactly of what happened to EA back in 2012 - 2013. 

And if what @Faaip de Oiad posted on the People’s Republic of China is indeed true, Sony is completely full on censorship. A country that gave birth to COVID-19, and now you’re censoring people? 

None of this was happening when Sony’s headquarters was in Japan. They’re no better now than EA and Activision.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Faaip de Oiad said:

Physical games have been dead on PC for a long time by now. That's just the way things evolved. I wouldn't blame a particular company for that. All publishers want discs to die out.

I have a Steam account and occasionally play on PC (OK, you got me, I have 4,000 hours in Championship Manager. Now let's never speak of it again).

But seriously, I like physical games. I like buying games second hand. Steam/Valve have shown they can be trusted over the years. Do you really think that MS and Sony can be trusted once everything is digital (yes, I know XBox has the GamePass or whatever you call it, and yes, I am ignorant as to how it works, maybe it's amazing). But once these companies have basically got a monopoly on the market, do you really trust them to keep offering bargains? Why should they? 

Sorry for being skeptical but if physical gets killed, then I doubt the great value continues. Trojan horse springs to mind.

Don't forget, PC also needs to worry about piracy. Consoles, not so much.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

But seriously, I like physical games. I like buying games second hand. Steam/Valve have shown they can be trusted over the years. Do you really think that MS and Sony can be trusted once everything is digital (yes, I know XBox has the GamePass or whatever you call it, and yes, I am ignorant as to how it works, maybe it's amazing). But once these companies have basically got a monopoly on the market, do you really trust them to keep offering bargains? Why should they? 

I hate to admit it, but GameStop and Best Buy are helping keep physical games afloat. Amazon has done much over the years to maintain the flow of physical games. 

I can sell the games, I have done this countless times in the past on eBay. I even gone to retail stores in person and sold games to the clerks working there. Some trade in value, a few bucks here and there. Then I can spend that money to buy some games second hand. I did that with Titanfall 2 last year at GameStop. Bought it for well under $10, was worth the money spent. 

Does anyone think Sony and Microsoft are going to play fair ball with digital only? The refund policies, if there are any on digital games, are a fucking joke. Steam/Valve have been the best in providing digital at decent prices. 

Sony was charging far too much money with old games long before this store change. Why would I fucking pay your prices when I can only pay a quarter of the listed price buying second hand via Amazon or a retail store somewhere? 

Sony still wants $59.99 for Red Dead Redemption 2. I can save $20 - 30 buying the game physical used somewhere. Hell, there are places online I can go to that will ship a new physical copy of RDR2 cheaper if I shop around long enough. 

In short, stupid change, and is part of a series of changes Sony has made for the worse, largely to do with moving to California. 

It’s like they can’t learn from the past, and are making the same grave mistakes that got both EA and Activision under scrutiny, and rightfully so.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

If it’s THAT BAD, I’m legitimately worried. 1f633.png Epic’s Store is absolute trash. 

Yes it is that worse. Now the game page in sony's new trash store looks like it's done by an IT student in his first year. The laziest it could be with minimal effort.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sk_lp_him said:

Yes it is that worse. Now the game page in sony's new trash store looks like it's done by an IT student in his first year. The laziest it could be with minimal effort.

Yeah I just browsed the store myself looking for indie games, specifically the stuff Housemarque made before they opted out of the arcade genre, and...... :gasp:.

Absolutely terrible. You can't even get good search results when you type in something like 'Resident Evil' or 'Street Fighter', it just brings up a whole bunch of crap I have to sift through. Horrible functionality. I probably could of done better after a year or two of Website Design college courses.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, yndajas said:

Thanks! I do use DuckDuckGo if I'm using Tor/if I notice something I want to find is being hidden from Google, but hadn't thought to use it for this kind of research!

I use DuckDuckGo & Ghostery for pretty much everything. If Google wants to collect info about me, I’m at least going to make them work a little for it, lol. 

Plus, I see roughly 95% less ads. Which is necessary to maintain my sanity, particularly during this election year (US). 

But everything I’m hearing so far about this redesign is making me dread the day it changes over for me. ?

I don’t know much about why Sony decided to move their HQ to the US (guessing it involves $$$). But even if it is about money, I’d think the current...umm...state of the country...would have them rethinking the move. Regardless, if all these changes are happening due to that, it really sucks. 

5 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Plus, I see roughly 95% less ads. Which is necessary to maintain my sanity, particularly during this election year (US).

I don't want to even think about it. Just pure misery from top to bottom, my only real way to describe it.

5 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

I don’t know much about why Sony decided to move their HQ to the US (guessing it involves $$$). But even if it is about money, I’d think the current...umm...state of the country...would have them rethinking the move. Regardless, if all these changes are happening due to that, it really sucks.

The USA has been going downhill for quite a long time, but this year has been historically bad on so many levels. I just don't know why Sony had to move, and why they made a drastic 180 in regards to censorship.

The store is absolutely horrible. I guess a bunch of interns were tasked with designing it, because it is not at all user friendly.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2020 at 1:24 PM, Akrioz said:

Design itself isn't really a problem.

• No game titles under the thumbnail. It's a game tile with a price
  • No DLC on the game page
  • Nothing differentiates DLC and Games in the search results
  • No filters of any kind. If you searched for "Resident Evil" you'll just get a huge pile of everything resident evil related.
  • No file sizes in game page
  • No screenshots or trailers on game page
  • No wishlist of any kind.

Fully agree with you here.

The new store does lack (a lot) of what should be default functionality when it comes to online stores. As a web-dev I'm really shocked how LITTLE the pages show. Pretty sure the physical covers of games have more information. They at least have some screenshots.

Not showing the title of the game is .. odd. Cover art is not universally readable when downsized to tiny proportions and the title might not even BE on the used art! (Look at you "Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered" you're just a red line between two white ones).

The search engine handles each word separate (so "Resident Evil" becomes "games containing 'Resident' or 'Evil'). And not even shows all entries that have both words first. So searching for "Destroy all humans" and "Humans destroy all" will yield the exact same search results. "Street Fighter" will have "Sesame Street" in its results.. not exactly what you'd expect.

No filters is just plain stupid. At least have a price range! There's no need to select a platform anymore (only PS4 and PS5) because you select that before even getting to the "show all games" page.

The lack of game content (screenshots, videos) on the game page itself is especially dumb. Many of the PS3 games didn't have this so it was up to the consumer to look the game up and convince himself of purchase. Could be that the feature was added for PS4... I only recently (2018) got into digital-only games so I never saw the store before PS4.

Showing some gameplay or a trailer really explains what a game is like, or how it plays, how it looks and feels. Screenshots help too in that regard. But only showing a "box-art" banner is too misdirecting. It's exactly why Let's-play is popular!

As for the removal of the wishlist: I never used it. I made my own tracker using a JSON API and abusing the heck out of Sony's own URL:

https://store.playstation.com/store/api/chihiro/00_09_000/container/NL/nl/999/EP4829-CUSA13689_00-THEOUTERWORLDS01

The "NL/nl" is the region, and everything after 999/ is the game ID code (available in the URL in the old and new shops on the game page).

The video and screenshot information is in the data sent back by this URL, so there's hope they'll add this (or I might just expand my own tracker).

This URL still works for PS3 games (Batman Origins: Cold, Cold Heart DLC:
https://store.playstation.com/store/api/chihiro/00_09_000/container/NL/nl/999/EP1018-BLES01784_00-SPPREMIUM0000001

The data contains normal price, discount price, duration of discount (start-end dates) and much more.

Having said that, I can still not understand why it had to go..

Lastly, what's with the 10 item limit? I never understood that.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Shikotei-kun said:

As for the removal of the wishlist: I never used it. I made my own tracker using a JSON API and abusing the heck out of Sony's own URL:

https://store.playstation.com/store/api/chihiro/00_09_000/container/NL/nl/999/EP4829-CUSA13689_00-THEOUTERWORLDS01

Just FYI, I expect that the chihiro API will stop working in the near future. It still has to work since Sony hasn't removed the old mobile store yet, but I expect it will be discontinued after that. The new web store doesn't make use of it.