Sony Launching New PS Store on Web and Mobile This Month

Aranea Highwind

7 minutes ago, Niilismo said:

Where do you get this kind of info?

In the Network tab of browsers web-tools (F12 for most).
So far I got https://web.np.playstation.com/api/graphql/v1//op?operationName=productRetrieveForCtasWithPrice&variables={"productId"%3A"EP3717-CUSA23986_00-CARTO0000000000E"}&extensions={"persistedQuery"%3A{"version"%3A1%2C"sha256Hash"%3A"8532da7eda369efdad054ca8f885394a2d0c22d03c5259a422ae2bb3b98c5c99"}}

The EP3717-CUSA23986_00-CARTO0000000000E is the game code, the rest is required to make it work. Dunno how many operationName possibilities there are, or what the persistedQuery does (other than version and security hash)

In the Network tab, look for payload type JSON. I've only just gleamed the surface.

9 minutes ago, MMDE said:

This is a sad truth I'm afraid. Sony pushing digital, but the new digital offer is horrendous. No idea how they went worse than previous. For all the faults Steam has, at least they try to make it possible to browse and find games you want there.

I'm not interested in FIFA...

2020-10-24-13h42-35.png

But that is what is greeting me. Notice the scroll at the bottom of the page, that doesn't disappear before you pretty much fullscreen on a 1080p screen.

Let's say you want to browse other games. The logical thinking might be, oh, it says games at the top there, let's check it out!

image.png

Another menu I have to consider things on. First thing that confuses me is "PS4" and "Buy Games" are two different things. The first one I see is PS4, so if I'm a bit inpatient I will click the PS4 first. I also very much dislike I have to move the mouse from the games drop down menu and then over to the middle of the screen, or if I want to hit "Buy Games" to the opposite side.

image.png

This is what greets me. Yeah, it's in Norwegian, and now I'm logged in again. I should point out my user is set to show things in English, not Norwegian, so it showing English when not logged in and Norwegian when logged in is just the exact opposite thing I expect. The message on the bottom is telling me the PS network is functioning normally. Yeah, I didn't exactly expect anything else???

The game names in the background is not clickable.

"Kun på PlayStation" = "Only on PS"

The next thing my eyes are drawn towards are the new menu at the top. I look at it, and it confuses me. I'm under games, but there's not actually any games here, and I wanted to buy stuff. I mean, I went to their web store, and this is not it. Next is "Entertainment", probably not what I'm looking for. Next is Technical Details... about what??? xD Accessories, eh, kinda makes sense.

The last red button says, "Buy PS4"............. I'm looking to buy games, and considering I'm logged in with hundreds of games on my profile, why would I need that button? And what does it do?

I click it and is taken to a new page where it tells me I can buy normal or pro in some online retailer. I click on buy pro, am taken to yet another page where I'm supposed to pick between white and black. I click on black, and it actually shows me some online retailers where I can buy the console. I click on a link, and am taken to the online store with a listing where all the PS4 versions are shown... What did I just click through several pages of? There was also no price comparison before I clicked on the store.

Okay, so this is not how you buy games. I go back and click on "Games" again, but this time choose "Buy Games" on the list. I'm taken back to the English version of the site again, back to the start screen where I started (first screenshot). Apparently, this is the web store, so I scroll down.

First thing I find is "What's hot".

image.png

Yeah, I'm not interested in any of this. I want to browse some of the non-curated games.

Next up is "New games":

image.png

Yeah, this or PSNow is not what I want to look at right now. I continue to scroll down, and I'm greeted with what games are coming soon.

image.png

Yeah, not what I was looking for either. I continue to scroll down, down to the bottom of the page:

image.png

Ey, it says "PS4 games". I was hoping to browse PS3 and VIta too, but eh, maybe there's something there? Also, where's recently dropped in price option? Maybe there's more under PS4 Games, so I click it. For several seconds the web page I come to look like this:

image.png

When it finally loads, it looks like this:

image.png

Pre-order first? Well, how can I filter for only released games, for a specific console, sorted by price, maybe even filters for price range. What genres are these games? User reviews? Can you tell what most of these games are? Next to Fuser it says "Like a Dragon" (that's a Yakuza game, but you can barely tell), but what is next to it? I really can't tell. Why would I click on it? You can barely tell it has cars in it. That fire demon thing, can't read the text. Cyberpunk is barely readable. In all cases, I have to strain myself to even have a chance at reading what the games are.

I scroll down, and what greets me is a paginator with "prev", "x to x+4", "next" buttons. No way to even get further than 4 pages ahead. I can't even imagine how many pages there has got to be.

I try to click on a game, and it looks like this:

image.png

There's no estimated size info either. No user reviews. No genre info.

Let's say I want to find a specific game, I've now understood there's a magnifying glass in upper right corner. I click it, and it says where I can search for something, which is nice. I want to find My Name is Mayo. There's no auto suggestion when I write it out.

image.png

Like some have pointed out before, I try to search for "Rainbow Moon". Why do I get two hits on the game? Why does one not have any price?

image.png

Why is one listed so much later? I click on it, and it's the "Rainbow Moon PS4 Upgrade".

Shame about ps3/vita/psp games gone from the web store. Dear lord that layout is awful. Why is it just pictures without the names of the titles?

• Like 3

Just now, MMDE said:

I forgot a screenshot of the "paginator", added it now. It's near impossible to browse the games, and it's near impossible to tell what the games are. It's so sad about no PS3 and Vita, and there's literally no reason for it either. There's no avatars either. There's no sorting, there's no filtering, you can't tell what it is you're actually buying in any meaningful way, that is if you can find it.

If the PS5 store looks like that, then that will suck so hard. Especially with the rumors that the ps4 store will be updated to look like the ps5 store, similar to what they did to the ps3 store when the ps4 came out

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gethron said:

My favorite part of all this is how Sony is pushing a digital-only version of their newest console, while showing open contempt for their online storefront.

You hit the nail right on the head there. It's Sony trying to hop on a popular train without even knowing its destination.

This new store yet again proves my point of Sony having no clue how to code or design anything but the consoles themselves.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, MMDE said:

I scroll down, and what greets me is a paginator with "prev", "x to x+4", "next" buttons. No way to even get further than 4 pages ahead. I can't even imagine how many pages there has got to be.

Previous store showed 30 items per page. Last I checked there were 155 pages (keeping tabs on where I left with checking new games).

Current store shows 48 items per page, and there's 73 pages (URL manipulation is so easy).

SO! Old store: 30*155 (give or take a full page worth) = 4650 items.

New store: 48*72 + 14 (last page has 14 items) = 3470 items.

In short there's almost 1200 non-game items removed (and that's just PS4). My filter back then showed only games and DLC (no avatars or themes) to it's safe to say there's 1200 DLC items not shown in the new shop.

Why remove almost 25% of sale items? I know that there's a bunch of free stuff (Hyperdimension Neptunia has at least 50 of 'em), Money-for-gold and other microtransactions, but still... who greenlit this disaster? Whose 8-year-old drew the design? Who forgot the filters and other customer conveniences? Was this an intern project gone too far? It's far too early for an April Fools joke..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dav9834 said:
2 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

Does anyone know why Ratalaika games (and I assume some other games) show up twice on the store? For example, Football Game has two entries:

https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/UP0891-CUSA17966_00-RATAFOOTBALLGAME

https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/UP0891-PCSE01443_00-RATAFOOTBALLGAME

Both are PS4, both are the same region (Canada). I assume that this is a weird glitch resulting from cross-buy or something (it's like it's trying to list the Vita version, but the Vita version doesn't exist anymore as far as the web store is concerned, so it says it's the PS4 version?).

By digging around in the source code and monitoring network traffic as you access the site. There's no "easy" way.

PCSE is the Vita code...

Did Sony get Epic's amazing store developers to do this revision as part of their investment in Epic? :lol:

They removed basically everything that was useful about the old web store like being able to sort the results, being able to see all DLC from a game's individual page and being able to see the file size. Not to mention the removal of the plaintext titles and clear distinction between full games and DLC that now makes it difficulty to distinguish what you're even looking at if you're not already familiar with it.

And of course removing the PS3, Vita and PSP games sucks because I still use my PS3 regularly and still have some DLC I'd like to eventually buy for games on that platform (really hoping for a sale since $23 for a single Far Cry 4 DLC is ludicrous - it's almost as much as the $28 I paid for a used copy of the PS3 version and a new copy of the PS4 version that also came with a code for the season pass). I'm glad I'll still be able to buy the content through the awful PS3 console store for now, but it is annoying since I always bought through the web store.

On 10/23/2020 at 1:27 PM, baboon_overlord said:

Screw MS, it's just a matter of time before they do something stupid (I'm guessing they are going to kill physical games forever if they haven't already, as an example).   

They're still working on that. Because they're moving to a single packaged release for cross-gen games instead of having separate releases like Sony is doing for PS4 and PS5 versions of games, one of the upcoming cross-gen games, Control Ultimate Edition, has been confirmed to be the Xbox One version on disc and require a download for the Series X version. Though it's even worse for Control because not all of the Xbox One content is on the disc either (it's all on the disc for the PS4 version) so that also requires a download to be able to play to completion.

I haven't seen confirmation yet, but I suspect most of the big cross-gen games like Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War, Far Cry 6, and Watch Dogs Legion are going to be the same with the Xbox One version being (mostly) on the disc and the Series X version requiring a download. It's possible that they'll include separate discs for the Xbox One and Series X versions in the same package - like how many film releases have Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray discs in one package - but I'd presume they're not going to do that because it'd enable the possibility of consumers to resell one of the discs by itself. NBA 2K21 oddly enough seems to be getting a standalone Xbox Series X physical release in addition to the "Xbox One + Xbox Series X" labeled one that's already available.

Plus add in the fact that the Xbox One still doesn't have local accounts (all accounts require a Microsoft account linked with them and you can't make accounts without one linked like you can on PS4 - the best you get is a guest account which is temporary and can't save games, not like blank accounts on PS4 which allow full access to all offline functionality including saves and even trophies) and there's a reason why my Xbox One collection is tiny compared to basically every other console platform I own.

Edited by CrestfallenAU
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SnizelPS said:

Terrible design, makes PS Store app on PS3 and PS4 look desirable to use, which is quite an achievement.

So much waste of space and everything is big, looks like when you open a mobile version of a web page on your desktop PC.

Well, Sony won't be fixing it because they are Sony, but at least there's still hope for a redesign through browser extensions.

I honestly hate when people say things like "well they won't fix it". If enough people speak up then a change can happen. It's about dollars and cents and if people are less inclined to spend their money with this terrible store then they'll listen. I know I feel less inclined to buy anything from the storefront with it in this state

3 hours ago, cris3f said:

It's blatantly evident that Jim Ryan doesn't give a shit about games or consoles. He's a numbers guy, for him selling consoles, toilet paper, chewing gum, guns or shit is the same. He has no soul for the product, but still gamers drool with Playstation, so he must be right...

It's stupid that he tries to diminish the PS3 and Vita. Any good and smart company knows that a satisfied customer will always return sooner or later with more business. He doesn't give a shit about this too, everyone who still uses a PS3 or Vita is a moron. He probably doesn't even own a console, or has now a PS5 to show off, that if he at least knows how to turn it on, which I doubt.

On another front the new store has made the related stuff to a game (DLC and other editions) disappear too. Awesome, it was already a mess to find them, now it will be hell.

And I know the ratings had no value, but now they're gone too. Everything is wonderful anyway.

For the gamers...

Very well said... Jim Ryan is part of the problem with Sony and PlayStation, he needs to step down. Jim Ryan isn't passionate about PlayStation at all, all he knows is business and that's it. I miss the days when Andrew House was in his position, now he was a truly passionate guy about PlayStation. Andrew House was one of greats... You know who should be in Jim Ryan position, Marc Cerny should be and he seem qualified enough to be too. Marc Cerny has done such a great job with PS4 and PS5. Jim Ryan is a slightly toned down version of former Microsoft Xbox Don Mattrick.

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 3

Only good thing about the new Store, is that you don't need to do checkouts for free content. Just tried with the UFC4 Brock Lesnar DLC and Operation7 Showdown. It just says "Add to Library" and then it's added. Maybe that's the reason you are sent back to the previous page for the Plus titles.

The bad thing about that, though, is that now you'll have to do one transaction for every free content, like it happened with demos on the old Store.

They still send emails for such transactions, too.

• Like 1

So I definitely think the new web store is terrible.  For some reason it won't show prices or a buy button for me,  How am I supposed to give them money if I can't find a buy button?  Also very much dislike the lack of a name for the game in the searches.  Shouldn't be a need to click on a picture just to figure out what game it is.  I've always hated designs that require me to figure out what a picture is to be able to use the site.

• Like 4

Holy shit this is terrible. Oh my goodness, beyond the problem of just saying, "Don't invest in our products or digital stores because we won't support you in a few years, lol~" it's just so huge, there's so much wasted space. I shouldn't have to scroll endlessly to find shit. I should be able to see as much as possible at a glance. Why do I have to scroll alllllll the way down to see a fucking release date? A lot of shitty websites have this design, I don't get it. I'm not on a phone, and even if I were on a phone, I'd still prefer to see more information. It's basically more like the PS Blog now, which I hate going to since their last UI update made it ugly as shit and harder to browse.

Am I blind, I can't even find a way to see what a Deluxe Edition has in it now. As an example;

https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/UP9000-CUSA08966_00-DAYSGONECOMPLETE

Also silly how the editions are right under the default 'add to cart' for the standard. It just is so close together that it feels redundant to have both on the screen to see "add to cart" at once.

Where's the actual information, Sony? Why can't I sort things like on Steam? Why is it worse in every way imaginable? I can't see a single improvement.

The PS Store has always been atrocious for just browsing. Now it's even worse. Good job, Sony. What a great start to the new generation. Can't wait to spend more money on Steam... I mean, PS5.

15 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Only good thing about the new Store, is that you don't need to do checkouts for free content. Just tried with the UFC4 Brock Lesnar DLC and Operation7 Showdown. It just says "Add to Library" and then it's added. Maybe that's the reason you are sent back to the previous page for the Plus titles.

The bad thing about that, though, is that now you'll have to do one transaction for every free content, like it happened with demos on the old Store.

They still send emails for such transactions, too.

It was best on PS3's original store, as you could just add the free stuff to your cart and checkout. Only real problem was the 10 item limit on the cart, but it was way better than how it was before and how it is currently with that. It shouldn't be that difficult to add some free crap to your library.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 3