Sony Launching New PS Store on Web and Mobile This Month

Aranea Highwind

43 minutes ago, Spaz said:

If they decide to remove trophy syncing on the PS3/Vita, I am officially done with trophy hunting if I happen to still have some games on those platforms. It sounds like I'm crying and pissing which I am, because that's money I spent just to let it go to waste.

Ay yi yi just thinking about this scares me ?

If they do, we will finally have a real reason to riot.

• Like 2

I'm sure it's been said before but why would you want make it harder for your consumer to spend their money?

I get they really wanna push the ps5 and all that jazz just seems to me that the website/app can ram ps5 down your throat as long as there's a small button to go to ps3/vita/etc side of the store. 

What makes it even more interesting is it's not about labor. They still have to design layouts/ads and the whole thing on ps3 store. Unless the app/website is going to be laid out completely differently now?

Idk I'm not super pissed as long as I have access to the store still on the console. But it was nice to look a game up on the store in the app if I saw something about the game when I don't have my ps3 on. Cuz we all know the process of turning on the ps3 and waiting for the store to open is painful haha.

• Like 1

Dunno if that has been mentioned yet, but I received an email from Sony confirming the exact same things mentioned in the leaked email. However, I only received this for my US account. No other emails were sent to me. Maybe this change is only for North America?

Edited by Faaip de Oiad

13 minutes ago, Faaip de Oiad said:

Dunno if that has been mentioned yet, but I received an email from Sony confirming the exact same things mentioned in the leaked email. However, I only received this for my US account. No other emails were sent to me. Maybe this change is only for North America?

No, the change is obviously worldwide.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alantor32 said:

You're right, I am sorry if I upset you by saying what I said before.

You didn't upset me, I was just genuinely confused why you kept saying essentially the same thing. You don't have to agree with people's reasons for why they're upset about the changes, but I don't think they're hard to understand is all.

3 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

To add to that, if you go jump on the Xbox website, you can still find original Xbox and Xbox 360 games for purchase.  I can still easily go buy digital games for my Xbox 360 on the website or on my console.  Not a huge shock though because Microsoft knows very well how important backwards compatibility is to users.  They may no longer support the hardware for their old systems, but they definitely still provide the software for purchase.

I'm seriously considering buying most of my games for Series X next gen. It feels a little late to become more invested in Xbox now, but I appreciate how Microsoft is the only company at this point that cares about making their previous games still accessible. It might not be 100% but it's miles better than what Sony and Nintendo are doing. I almost regret not buying more 360 games back in the day, since I could easily play those now on my Xbox One or the Series X, but anything that was cross platform I mostly got for PS3, where it'll be stuck forever now.

1 hour ago, Faaip de Oiad said:

I haven't gotten an email, but I basically never get emails from Sony anyway unless it's receipts for things I've purchased. They often seem to forget about their European userbase to some extent. But I don't don't change is happening globally, since it's affecting the global web store.

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

Instead of just removing PS3/Vita games off the browser/mobile stores, I also CANNOT buy any apps, themes and avatars for my PS4 off the browser/mobile stores. The Wishlist will be gone entirely, regardless of how little or how many PS3, Vita and PS4 games I had on it. It was a fantastic way of keeping track of games you were looking to buy and were interested in. No more.

This separates the few people like myself and yourself who are still interested in older stuff. Yes they are old games, yes they are older systems, we all get that. But making this decision to get people to jump ship to the PS5 as soon as possible according to Jim Ryan is fucking atrocious.

And there were a couple games I was interested in that are ONLY available on Switch, Steam and Xbox because I guess Sony still has an agenda to censor some Japanese titles. Stupid move as well.

The trophy change, the censorship crap and the store change, all idiotic decisions.

Ironically, Sony's hard pushing of the PS5 has gotten me less and less interested in it. The removal of the wishlist is definitely the most puzzling decision, what's the point of removing that? Why not make it better and actually have it send you notifications when stuff goes on sale like PSPrices does? Removing the ability to buy themes, avatars and apps seems pointless as well.

I don't think it really matters how old a game is to a lot of people, the 3D Mario All-stars collection on Switch sold (and is still selling) like hotcakes and had plenty of people hyped despite its limited availability. There's loads of old games on Steam that still regularly go on sale and get new reviews. The NES and SNES mini consoles sold well, etc. I think Sony really do need to realise that older games have a bigger market than they seem to think they do. I've known plenty of people that have still bought PS1 and PS2 classics on the PS3/Vita in the last few years because those are the only ways they can play those games on more modern systems without emulating/hacking.

With the upcoming release of a new Ratchet and Clank game, I've seen plenty of people buying PS3s and/or the old Ratchet games. This is a pretty common trend, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door has shot up in price even more since the new Switch Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion also went up in price after the release of 3, the original FF7 and RE2 started selling well again digitally after the release of the remakes, etc. When you release a new game in a long running series, there's gonna be people new to the series that want to experience the older/original games first or as well as the new title if they like it. I think it's a missed business opportunity not make these games available for newer systems at a fraction of the cost at what they originally released at. This is one of the reasons why the virtual console did so well on the Wii, 3DS and Wii U. Just my two cents anyway.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

The removal of the wishlist is definitely the most puzzling decision

Is it actually confirmed to be completely removed? Some media outlets just say that it will be wiped.Which should be logical, it is a new store. I assume they have rewritten everything, threw away legacy code and the ps3/psv/psp databases just do not work with the new site, so they just didn't bother to do something about it. 

I am all in for a new store cause the current one is a mess. I hope it will be much better. They could have done some workarounds for older systems(keep a current store as a legacy store with PS4 content removed, for example). But, well, it is Sony. 

1 hour ago, Akrioz said:

Is it actually confirmed to be completely removed? Some media outlets just say that it will be wiped.Which should be logical, it is a new store. I assume they have rewritten everything, threw away legacy code and the ps3/psv/psp databases just do not work with the new site, so they just didn't bother to do something about it. 

I am all in for a new store cause the current one is a mess. I hope it will be much better. They could have done some workarounds for older systems(keep a current store as a legacy store with PS4 content removed, for example). But, well, it is Sony. 

According to the email: "The Wishlist feature will be discontinued and any items currently on “Your Wishlist” will be removed.".

I haven't got the email myself but it's the exact same email that's being posted on every news story of this I can find.

On one hand, I add this to the list of truly dumbfounding decisions or implementation that Sony has been making with their store:

-Limited number of games on wishlist, without sale notification capacity

-Random tagging of games in store

-Random tagging of games in sales

-"All deals" section that includes... a handful of perma-sale titles?

-Not even able to calculate the accurate percentage off in sales

etc.

On the other, there are workarounds:

-I mostly use psprices.com (and an actual spreadsheet) for my wishlist. You can also get notifications through there.

-Technically, Vita and PS3 sales would still appear on that site... which would lead me to go to the individual stores to make purchases. But I'm concerned as I'm guessing their trawling uses the webstore, which will be turned off.

I wish they'd get at least ONE option right:

-Wishlist with notification for sales

-Sales with comprehensive listings

-Allow for external trawling

I don't see any of those happening, and I find this highly frustrating as I cannot see the logic of them not doing so. We're talking about SALES, making MONEY, you'd think the costs associated with it would be absorbed in an instant.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

To add to that, if you go jump on the Xbox website, you can still find original Xbox and Xbox 360 games for purchase.  I can still easily go buy digital games for my Xbox 360 on the website or on my console.  Not a huge shock though because Microsoft knows very well how important backwards compatibility is to users.  They may no longer support the hardware for their old systems, but they definitely still provide the software for purchase.

We might as well say it: MS is a LOT better at this "online presence" thing than Sony will ever be.

I wonder how long brand loyalty will sustain Sony.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Akrioz said:

You don't throw away databases as they are still needed for the store to work on consoles and there're many ways to migrate DBs. so the reason behind has to be business, not technical. Not that I care about their "reason" anyway.

Second, I got the email from SONY and that's the exact words. There shouldn't be any doubting about it now.

Edited by Maverick6146
  • Like 1

this'll be the first time i wont have to manually take something off my wishlist at least, :facepalm:

considering ps3/v never get sales anymore its not too much of a lose for me on that, i usually pick up the disc version for a few quid.

normally only use the store to download already purchased stuff, thats bad enough, good luck to any of u actually atempting to by something there.

Edited by Leenewbe
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, red_tyrant said:

The vita store is a mess and it's incomplete. Fortunately you can buy everything from the ps3 store.

Thank you for this, it's really helpful. I freaked out when I just got the email from Sony now. The Vita store is a disgrace quite frankly.

5 hours ago, Akrioz said:

Is it actually confirmed to be completely removed? Some media outlets just say that it will be wiped.

I just got the email and then found this thread.

From the email:

• The Wishlist feature will be discontinued and any items currently on “Your Wishlist” will be removed.

Why in god's name would they do this, this is probably the best feature of the entire Store!

People want to save a list of games they are going to buy eventually? NOOOO, burn it with fire!

I have no idea who is calling the shots at Sony right now, it's almost like they want XBox to win.

4 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

We might as well say it: MS is a LOT better at this "online presence" thing than Sony will ever be.

I wonder how long brand loyalty will sustain Sony.

well, just looking at their media this year, every single thing they released, from the PS5 Logo, controller reveal, game trailers, teardown, most recent UI, they get millions of views in hours-days and hundreds of thousands of likes breaking records in gaming social media, every poll is largely over 50% for PS5, so i'm not sure how much these millions of people care about them not being able to see PS3 games anymore on a PC site 1 month before the launch of PS5, this is just the reality

Edited by LockheedPrime

Just got the email as well myself (UK account here). At least they're directly informing their customers I suppose, since not everyone is going to be keeping up to date on the news otherwise (there's still quite a few people I've come across confused by the new trophy levels).

6 minutes ago, baboon_overlord said:

Thanks to everyone who mentioned PSPrices.com - I hadn't heard about it before and it looks like a really useful tool.

I've been using this site for a few years. Sometimes there can be a bit of delay with discounts appearing on the site, but in general it's a pretty good way of getting informed when games/DLC/etc. you're looking to get goes on sale. My main concern with PSPrices is whether or not they're going to continue supporting PS3, PSP and Vita after this. If you look up games for those platforms on there, the link showing the current price takes you to the PSN webstore. I don't know if that's where the website pulls its information from or not, but I imagine if it is, it's going to be broken come sometime between October 21-26.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I've been using this site for a few years. Sometimes there can be a bit of delay with discounts appearing on the site, but in general it's a pretty good way of getting informed when games/DLC/etc. you're looking to get goes on sale. My main concern with PSPrices is whether or not they're going to continue supporting PS3, PSP and Vita after this. If you look up games for those platforms on there, the link showing the current price takes you to the PSN webstore. I don't know if that's where the website pulls its information from or not, but I imagine if it is, it's going to be broken come sometime between October 21-26.

didnt think about that with psprices, if they lose functionality because of this there's always truetrophies.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Just got the email as well myself (UK account here). At least they're directly informing their customers I suppose, since not everyone is going to be keeping up to date on the news otherwise (there's still quite a few people I've come across confused by the new trophy levels).

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how he's managed to pull that information but would assume it's via an API. If the (MYSQL?) databases are maintained in their current location (they would need to be maintained for the console stores,presumably they are all pulling the same DB information or they would both need to be updated) then I think everything will continue to work.

I'm not so worried about PS3 as I tend to buy second hand games from eBay/Amazon/Music Magpie and they normally cost less than the postage to France, where I'm based currently. I've also bought three games this year that weren't in the Store at all for some reason.

The needless ruining of a relatively good system (far better than the Vita/PS3 Stores) is the most stupid thing, especially as the last few times I have tried to access the PS3 Store it says it's under maintenance. 

• Like 1