Why the race on classic difficulty is objectively bad.

I'm admittedly horrible at racing games, but this one is just outside my abilities! Spent maybe like 5-6 hours on this, and still never managed to finish above 4th. There's just a lot of luck involved in the first turn, and maybe 5-10% of my attempts were lucky there.

Kind of shocking that Classic completion has a 38.2% success rate!

Edited by JingjangSotona

On 2020. 12. 06. at 10:00 AM, JingjangSotona said:

I'm admittedly horrible at racing games, but this one is just outside my abilities! Spent maybe like 5-6 hours on this, and still never managed to finish above 4th. There's just a lot of luck involved in the first turn, and maybe 5-10% of my attempts were lucky there.

Kind of shocking that Classic completion has a 38.2% success rate!

It's a short race, it's not like a Driveclub platinum that takes a year to obtain. Yeah, you may struggle with this one for hours or days, but it's just a 5 minute struggleor less if you restart a lot.

Edited by Swithop

I didn't know there was a boost button 

I thought X was just for ramming in the main game!

Its not too easy on Classic but not undoable by any means

My tips are:

Full revs at start then get to the inside left. Break a bit as you approach first bend and use the cars on outside as a buffer. Go gently around and you should come out in 8th 9th or 10th from that.

Then go to the right and you should pass a couple of cars on the slight bend to right, then at the bigger bend right which leads to the first banking section I take to the grass and pass a couple more. That way by the time the car spins out and hits the outside of the banked curve you should be able to be in between 2nd to 5th place.

Climb the hill then make sure you take a tiny bit of speed off before the 90 degree left turn and go round that applying throttle once you have exited the turn.

The next bit is where I always tried to be too greedy by flying over the edge of the chicane rather than driving it properly. You might get a benefit once, but its just never worth the risk. 

After the chicane the next turn left should be taken slowly and then the following right make sure you are in control enough to miss the boxes and tyres on the left. 

Then its just a matter of driving flat out for the remainder of the lap and rinsing and repeating. You should be at least 3rd by end of lap 1 but often you will be first or second. Make sure you break before that first turn left of the lap as you will be travelling at some pace especially on laps 2 and 3.

And apparently on the straight you can boost ? but as I never knew and it was never needed its certainly not essential

Its not tough as long as you don't try to get past too many too fast. You have three laps and so steady wins the race

Its a great game and I remember it fondly from playing it on the PC all those years ago. This version is superb though

Edited by Evertonian
  • Like 2

On 2020. 12. 08. at 10:25 AM, Evertonian said:

My tips are:

Full revs at start then get to the inside left. Break a bit as you approach first bend and use the cars on outside as a buffer. Go gently around and you should come out in 8th 9th or 10th from that.

Then go to the right and you should pass a couple of cars on the slight bend to right, then at the bigger bend right which leads to the first banking section I take to the grass and pass a couple more. That way by the time the car spins out and hits the outside of the banked curve you should be able to be in between 2nd to 5th place.

Climb the hill then make sure you take a tiny bit of speed off before the 90 degree left turn and go round that applying throttle once you have exited the turn.

The next bit is where I always tried to be too greedy by flying over the edge of the chicane rather than driving it properly. You might get a benefit once, but its just never worth the risk. 

After the chicane the next turn left should be taken slowly and then the following right make sure you are in control enough to miss the boxes and tyres on the left. 

Then its just a matter of driving flat out for the remainder of the lap and rinsing and repeating. You should be at least 3rd by end of lap 1 but often you will be first or second. Make sure you break before that first turn left of the lap as you will be travelling at some pace especially on laps 2 and 3.

And apparently on the straight you can boost 1f642.png but as I never knew and it was never needed its certainly not essential

Its not tough as long as you don't try to get past too many too fast. You have three laps and so steady wins the race

Its a great game and I remember it fondly from playing it on the PC all those years ago. This version is superb though

The ram/boost doesn't do shit. Maybe it helps in the corners but see what happens when you move the L stick and press X at the same time. Bad idea.

36 minutes ago, Swithop said:

The ram/boost doesn't do shit. Maybe it helps in the corners but see what happens when you move the L stick and press X at the same time. Bad idea.

I have no idea mate. As I said I never knew that boost was a thing and I did not therefore use it during the race. Once I have finished my Classic playthru I might give it a go on chapter replay as I actually enjoyed the race part

Everyone who feels that their car is slipping away when they brake: First do a full press, than TAP the brakes, instead of keeping it fully pressed. The car wil not directly slip when you full press the brakes, only when you keep it pressed too long.

So when going into the first corner, first full press the brake for half a second, than tap tap tap tap tap real fast. 

I had a read through the tips everyone has given, although they were helpful to a point. I still wasn't managing to place in top 5 in the first 2 laps, however after a few attempts I looked in the options for control settings but couldn't find what I needed so I decided to change my buttons around via the Accessibility menu, to swap R2 with R1 as it was hurting my finger pressing down hard to gain speed. It worked well because it didn't take me long to eventually win the race. Maybe this will help those struggling.

How I configured my buttons. Accessibility > Button Assignments - Swapped R2 / R1 around.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took me around 4 hours. 
My only advise is practice first turn, and if no luck do not restart, try to continue to learn other turns as well. 

And of course do not give up, eventually you will make to the end and will be first. 

Thanks to everyone in this topic for help. 

• 3 weeks later...

This race is no where near as bad as alot of people make out. I even paused the game afterwards to check i had not accidently changed difficulty. I have been dreading this race on classic since i got the game. With how bad people made out it to be i thought it was gonna be in the trackmania difficulty level. 

Yes it took me a few attempts because of getting used to the handling and getting past the other cars early on without crashing into them or randomly spinning.

One major tip, and im sure its already been mentioned is use the ram button on most turns (if not all turns). People have said just on the sharp corners but it helps massively on all corners because it gives you a jolt of speed and really makes handling better once you get used to it

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2020 at 9:25 AM, Evertonian said:

My tips are:

And apparently on the straight you can boost ? but as I never knew and it was never needed its certainly not essential

Comprehensive tips mate. Thanks for that. I've just reached the race on classic diff and I discovered that - as a result of spinning out when in third place constantly -  I can still invoke my game rage after years of it lying dormant. Lolz. Haven't raged this much since the days of PES scripted goals. Will give it another try with your tips. Sounds like I'm approaching it the wrong way. 

Edited by soulinterceptor
  • Like 2

I did the race today and after reading through this thread i can understand both sides. 

I think controls and the driving itself is fine, sure it sucks that the car behaves like you are driving on ice but you will get used to it. 

You will also get used to the track and you will get more comfortable with the turns after sometime. 

For me it was acutally the AI who messed me up a lot, as someone stated before the first round is basically a demolition derby and the first turn to the left was more luck than skill in the 1st round.

For some reason it seems that the AI cars are made out of better material than your car and every little collision ends with your car turning into a fidget spinner.

It doesnt really matter how fast or slow you are or if youre coming from the side or behind, contact is crucial and usually your gameover.

I can understand you should not win by bumping into other cars but only if the AI would play by the same rules.

You really have to pay attention when its safe to overtake while the AI just doesnt care and bumps into you from behind whenver they can, especially in turns. 

Petty sure someone who is used to racing games can do this on 1st try but i wouldnt be suprised if the same driver would need 1hr+, thats how inconsistent they AI is.

Edited by KingTom95

That happened to me twice.

I did find the ram button helpful but I found that sometimes it would cause me to spin out so I usually only tapped it a couple of times. What I found most helpful was using the touchpad (speed limiter) instead of the brakes for the tight turns, and only for a couple of seconds before turning it off again.

Oof, ya, a similar thing almost happened to me on the run where I won. Except instead of on the final straightaway, they passed me up high on the final turn. So I was able to make up some ground and bait them into trying to ram me at the last second which let me pull ahead.

The key is getting a good run on that first turn and then cutting across the grass on the next two turns. I never came close to getting good position before I started shortcutting through the grass (which isn't shown in the most popular Ch. 5 race video on YT). If you get to 4th or higher before the first scripted crash on the next (fourth) turn, then you should be good if you don't make any other major mistakes as there are 2 other scripted crashes after that in lap 2 (crashes on the S shaped turn at the end of the downhill) and lap 3 (final turn).

Turn 1 is very tricky, but in lap 2 and 3 the pack will be far enough apart that the AI will be compelled to take that turn single file. Which means, pretty much no matter how slow you go, as long as you stay close enough to the inside on turn 1, they will not pass you. That was my mistake for the longest time, taking that turn too fast because I was worrying about them passing me. Going too fast just allows them to take the inside track and pass you when you take the turn too wide. Slowing down a lot in turn 1 will cause the racers to bunch up behind you, but then you can get some distance on them again by cutting across the grass on the next 2 turns.

Then you just need to make sure to keep right on the straightaway after turn 4, keep high on the final turn if there is a car right behind you (a mistake that nearly cost me this run), and peek behind you periodically on the final straightaway so you can turn in front of anyone trying to pass you.

Edited by Guardian_owl

8 hours ago, cometowner said:

Why do you put the blame on the game difficulty. 

If you beat it, it means that you are skilled, and congrats. if not it means you who is having trouble completing it and not skilled enough and trying to cry about it. 

stop whining and be better

Wow, you sound very childish :)

• Like 3

On 2/9/2021 at 4:28 PM, ReCKerZUK said:

Wow, you sound very childish :)

People who don't read threads properly often are. 

On 10/9/2020 at 8:25 PM, bboysunny93 said:

i was 1st most of the time when i did it...what are you talking about ?

I did say in my OP that it's not impossible but would require practical perfection with no room for error. I like the thrill of most races where it's not over until it's over, where being far behind doesn't necessarily mean you can't still win. With this race you can literally predict when you're going to win and lose. IIRC it's the very first turn where people recommend that if you're not at least 4th place you should just reload, which is ridiculous. 

Anyway, interesting returning to this thread and seeing the various strategies people posted. Thankfully, the race is behind me and nothing I ever have to worry about but bless those attempting this for the first time. Don't give up!

• 4 months later...
On 9.2.2021 at 3:10 AM, KingTom95 said:

The AI will always be faster than you on the last section of the track, press R3 to look back and block them.

That is not true. You just  have to go full speed from the 2nd last corner and take the banked turn a little wider to maintain speed. If you lose out on speed compared to the AI in that part of the track you just drive  the wrong line.

And overall the race was a fair challenge not too easy but not too hard as well, like many people are complaining in different posts. Maybe breaking before going into a corner could help many of those people not to lose control over the car xD

Edited by lemaestre

I see everyone saying to use the ram button while going around corners. How is that helpful? It only rams me into the wall.

This race was the reason I never beat the game back in the day.

Edited by DoodgraverNL