Why the race on classic difficulty is objectively bad.

40 minutes ago, DoodgraverNL said:

I see everyone saying to use the ram button while going around corners. How is that helpful? It only rams me into the wall.

This race was the reason I never beat the game back in the day.

I see everyone saying to use the ram button while going around corners. How is that helpful? It only rams me into the wall.

This race was the reason I never beat the game back in the day.

I remember ram was needed to win this race. It just takes practice. You will get the hang of it

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

I remember ram was needed to win this race. It just takes practice. You will get the hang of it

But all it does is ram me into the wall. How do you use it then? I press L2 + X and it just throws me into the wall.

12 hours ago, DoodgraverNL said:

And I just got it because the AI messed up right before the first crash and almost every car got stuck behind one car. Damn, that was lucky!

Congrats dude.

I remember i could control ram after a while but i cant fully remember how lol. 

I said before its needed to win but vids ive just seen dont use it and instead cut certain corners

I just finished the race on classic and here's a tip:

Focus on not hitting other cars and preventing your car from oversteering. If you keep focussing on being fast and brake too late you will eventually crash into a car or wall and thus fail

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Beat the race today after about 20 tries. At the middle of round 2, I was leading the race. Didn't use :cross: for braking at all, only :l2:. Here are my tips. Maybe this helps someone:

- at the start, immediately turn to the left side of the track beside the turquoise car, you can overtake 2-4 cars before the first corner

- in corner 3 and 4 you can use the gras on your right to skip a little off the track, works well

- at double corner 6 and 7, do not brake their before entering but also do not accelerate when the appear

- use your rearview-mirror to check out if someone wants to pass you, drive in front of their line so they can't

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I agree with OP, even though not for the same reasons, as I too think they are factually wrong about it all being scripted (two crashes are, but that's a help for the player, I think). 

Why I think it's not a great game design decision, is that this race creates an abnormal difficulty spike very early in the game. My first playthrough is on classic, and being stuck on the race for days (I just didn't feel like grinding this one in one go) messed up the story flow. I'm yet to finish game, but I haven't encountered any other difficulty spike like this.

3 hours ago, depresso-cat said:

I agree with OP, even though not for the same reasons, as I too think they are factually wrong about it all being scripted (two crashes are, but that's a help for the player, I think). 

Why I think it's not a great game design decision, is that this race creates an abnormal difficulty spike very early in the game. My first playthrough is on classic, and being stuck on the race for days (I just didn't feel like grinding this one in one go) messed up the story flow. I'm yet to finish game, but I haven't encountered any other difficulty spike like this.

It's not really a difficulty spike it's just an older race car no ABS or TCS 1 practice race is all that is needed.

On my successful run I managed to gain 1st place near the end of lap one and was never overtaken even though I was probably driving too carefully. It did take me about 15 attempts but it definitely is possible on lap 1 especially if you hit the grass patch on the right going full speed and being lucky you don't spin out when you have to turn.

• 4 months later...

I got to say that i did not find the race all that bad. I took me about 1 hour 15 minutes and i expected it to take a lot longer from all the horrible things i heard about the race. Drove the race to completion everytime, even if i was in last place (13th after some crashes) so i could learn it properly. On my succesful win i got position 6 after the first curve which really helped me out. Almost lost because i got over taken in the S curve on the last lap by No2 but i managed to crash into him and regain my position. 

The trick i found was to never brake fully, just hold L2 down about 70% of the way so your wheels don't lock up and you still have some steering. Good luck to anyone else trying this!

• 7 months later...

It took me a grand total of 15 minutes to beat the race on classic difficulty. Granted, I have a lot of experience with racing games, but I really don't think it's objectively bad at all. It's fine. Just learn the track and the behavior of the car and you'll get there eventually. The track is kinda fun actually, some challenging sections where you can't go flat out but also don't want to brake because you'll lose too much time.

Key is to feather the gas peddle when coming out of slower corners to prevent oversteer and don't steer while braking. Brake early so that you don't have to steer into a corner while you're still braking.

Edited by Asimb0mb

• 3 weeks later...
On 13.2.2023 at 0:07 AM, Asimb0mb said:

It took me a grand total of 15 minutes to beat the race on classic difficulty. Granted, I have a lot of experience with racing games, but I really don't think it's objectively bad at all. It's fine. Just learn the track and the behavior of the car and you'll get there eventually. The track is kinda fun actually, some challenging sections where you can't go flat out but also don't want to brake because you'll lose too much time.

Key is to feather the gas peddle when coming out of slower corners to prevent oversteer and don't steer while braking. Brake early so that you don't have to steer into a corner while you're still braking.

Totally agree. Granted, i too do have a lot of (sim)racing experience, but i found this race not difficult at all. Had a couple of Bad first Corners, After which i restarted and screwed up on lap 2 or 3 maybe 3 or 4 Times. Took me less than 10 attempts total to get an easy win.

Now After all the discussions about how Bad the race is and how it's a platinum breaker, i wonder why noone seems to struggle with the rest of the game. Also granted, i'm not a shooter guy, but the shooting  sections are my Worst enemy?

Edited by Skargarim

1 hour ago, Skargarim said:

Totally agree. Granted, i too do have a lot of (sim)racing experience, but i found this race not difficult at all. Had a couple of Bad first Corners, After which i restarted and screwed up on lap 2 or 3 maybe 3 or 4 Times. Took me less than 10 attempts total to get an easy win.

Now After all the discussions about how Bad the race is and how it's a platinum breaker, i wonder why noone seems to struggle with the rest of the game. Also granted, i'm not a shooter guy, but the shooting  sections are my Worst enemy?

Turret truck was many times worse than the race lol! Race was completely fine after you handle the car like you should a 30's GP car with drum brakes.
Was an absolute breeze compared to the original that had no springs and would spin instantly if one wheel got off the ground while turning.

• 3 months later...

It took a few retries to win it on classic, don't overthink it because it is an arcade type car race not a sim racer, also allows for a mistake and hit here and there, at least if you arrive in the 2nd please before the last corner the car in front of you I think always crashes so you get the win, you can check my run in the video:

• 3 weeks later...

It's genuinely the worst driving mission I've experienced in any game ever, you have to drive in a very specific and restrictive way. I had no idea what to expect going into it since I never played the original nor did I read up on it in forums before. Scripted events and having to drive your vehicle in front of the other cars just so they do not overtake you on the home straight because apparently that's scripted too. Once you figure out it's the most scripted driving mission in gaming history you're halfway to waving goodbye to this mission forever. The other half is ignoring your driving instincts from pretty much any other game where you drive cars and dealing with the shoddy handling. It's not hard at all, it's just broken. Whoever is responsible for allowing this mess of a race into a remaster, demotion would be justified.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2023 at 7:02 PM, HandsUp1992 said:

It's genuinely the worst driving mission I've experienced in any game ever, you have to drive in a very specific and restrictive way. I had no idea what to expect going into it since I never played the original nor did I read up on it in forums before. Scripted events and having to drive your vehicle in front of the other cars just so they do not overtake you on the home straight because apparently that's scripted too. Once you figure out it's the most scripted driving mission in gaming history you're halfway to waving goodbye to this mission forever. The other half is ignoring your driving instincts from pretty much any other game where you drive cars and dealing with the shoddy handling. It's not hard at all, it's just broken. Whoever is responsible for allowing this mess of a race into a remaster, demotion would be justified.

Cutting the grass on the 2nd and 3rd corner helps a lot. Gentle press the brake as you don’t wanna spin out of control on the sharp turns.

• 1 month later...

This has to be one of the most not worth the reputation cases in gaming. I was going to skip the whole game because I heard this mission is so difficult on hardest difficulty. I won the race on my second try... Me. I play every racing game on the easiest difficulty settings with all the assists on. If I can do this, anyone with two thumbs can.

I have much more trouble with shooting missions. I keep dying all the time.

18 minutes ago, Juzota said:

This has to be one of the most not worth the reputation cases in gaming. I was going to skip the whole game because I heard this mission is so difficult on hardest difficulty. I won the race on my second try... Me. I play every racing game on the easiest difficulty settings with all the assists on. If I can do this, anyone with two thumbs can.

I have much more trouble with shooting missions. I keep dying all the time.

Stray Can’t Cat-ch Me says Hi.

• 2 months later...

I just won the race (classic mode) in about 1h15 during my lunch break, thanks to the tips found in this topic and elsewhere. So thanks to everyone who posted them.

These are the tips that made me win (again, thanks to whoever discovered and posted them first) :

1) Use the "Speed Limiter" (touchpad) shortly before the most dangerous turns. Just enable it for a short while then disable it, it should be enough to significantly lower your speed. I used this trick at the very first real turn of the circuit (on lap 2 and 3 only, when you're going at full speed), and at the left turn at the top of a small hill, after the "elevated" turn where a car breaks down on turn 1 (the one before the chicane).

2) Use the Ram button (X) during turns, to let your car turn more sharply. Press it once or multiple times as needed, to fix and improve your trajectory.

3) Cut through the grass in some of the turns

4) Check behind you when you're getting close to the finish line and get in front of anyone who's about to pass you (anyone remembers Ridge Racer Revolution and the superfast car?)

So, to anyone going after this trophy, I would suggest to first make several dry runs to get used to the car, learn the circuit, and practice the aforementioned techniques, and when/how to use them effectively. Then you'll be set to start really trying to win. And don't forget that if you're 2nd on the last turn, you can win because the first racer will crash near the end (just be wary of the racers behind you)

Edited by Kurty9

• 1 month later...

This might speak to driving cna being my gaming wheelhouse, but I did this in three attempts. Attempt one was discovering the car, attempt 2 ended with a massive crash at the chicane on lap 2, dropping me from 3rd to 13th. Win on the third try, despite a spin on lap 2. 

Went straight into classic mode, knowing that this might be a pain. I was surprised on two fronts - how early in the game this came, and how quick I passed it. Even did the lead up second attempt. 

All that said, it took me 8 tries to beat the battle at the hotel just before this mission. Different skillsets I guess. 

• 3 weeks later...

It wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Lots of luck involved, so I'd say if you aren't in the top 4-5 after the first lap, then retry. I spent around an hour/hour and a half on this race and on the successful attempt I managed to get the first place sometime around the second lap, never losing it again. I think it's weirdly scripted in a way that it is much easier to maintain your lead rather than gain it. If you're top 3, there are only a bunch of corners that you can use to your advantage to cut distance to the lead, or you can rely on scripted events that make the guys blow up etc., there is one crash guaranteed every lap, so as long as you are in the top 3 by the second lap, you should become the leader near the very end.

My tip would be using manual gears and always staying on 2nd gear (with the exception of those long straight sequences near the finish/starting line), and trying to brake with the speed limit button (as in pressing the button that makes you adjust to the speed limit, somehow the car brakes more fluently then rather than braking on your own).

Edited by jannekk