Why the race on classic difficulty is objectively bad.

Took me about 50 tries, but I just did it. Here's how.

- I barely used the brake. Just tapped it on occasions. Mostly I took my finger of the gas and used the Ram button to correct my course.

- Took the grass shortcuts every time.

- Avoided jumping in at that turn with two grassy bumps on both left and right. I started doing this, because it was a crapshoot whether or not your car would land or flip. The speed boost you think you get from that jump is not worth it. Just tap brake and use the Ram button. You might jump a little, but you're unlikelier to flip as opposed to driving head on.

Not gonna lie, there is some luck involved. The AI can drive erratically every now and then - especially on the first turn. Sometimes I simply could not avoid crashing into them no matter how I tried to avoid it.

I don't mind the challenge; I felt great after I beat this. But I think it was a bit of a mistake to include such a challenge as part of the story. I think it should have been a side mission for platinum. Just from a business point of view, that is. A lot of players today simply don't have the tolerance for such steep difficulty curves.

Kudos to Hangar 13 for not pussyfooting about including it, though. And apparently it was even more difficult in the original game.

Edited by Antiristus

To be honest it wasn’t hard to achieve maybe I got lucky but i got it on the 4th try the only thing I found that could pose as a problem for people is the massive under steer on the car 

Once you learn the track it’s not difficult 

• 2 months later...

I was 1st about 1/2 way through the 1st lap and just kept extending that lead using the ram technique around most of the corners. Definitely not a scripted race. 

On 3/14/2024 at 8:07 PM, Antiristus said:

Took me about 50 tries, but I just did it. Here's how.

- I barely used the brake. Just tapped it on occasions. Mostly I took my finger of the gas and used the Ram button to correct my course.

- Took the grass shortcuts every time.

- Avoided jumping in at that turn with two grassy bumps on both left and right. I started doing this, because it was a crapshoot whether or not your car would land or flip. The speed boost you think you get from that jump is not worth it. Just tap brake and use the Ram button. You might jump a little, but you're unlikelier to flip as opposed to driving head on.

Not gonna lie, there is some luck involved. The AI can drive erratically every now and then - especially on the first turn. Sometimes I simply could not avoid crashing into them no matter how I tried to avoid it.

I don't mind the challenge; I felt great after I beat this. But I think it was a bit of a mistake to include such a challenge as part of the story. I think it should have been a side mission for platinum. Just from a business point of view, that is. A lot of players today simply don't have the tolerance for such steep difficulty curves.

Kudos to Hangar 13 for not pussyfooting about including it, though. And apparently it was even more difficult in the original game.

Using the Ram technique to straighten up around corners took the difficulty down to a 4 for me.

18 minutes and about 10 restarts while having a hangover 🤷‍♂️

This race wasn't nearly as bad as it was hyped up to be. I watched a couple of youtube videos with hints, did 2 full practice races just to get the feel of the car and cornering and then just did it. The first turn was the only one that gave me any trouble because it was the spot where other cars spun me out and I had to restart. But once I got past it the rest of the track was easy peasy and in the end I only needed one try for the full race. I was in 1st place half way through the first lap and the other cars never caught up.

Tips (mostly what people above have already covered): 

- Definitely use the ram button on sharp turns and when you feel the car is losing control. I'm a sloppy driver and it saved me a bunch of times.

- Don't use breaks too often and when you do don't slam, gently tap them.

- Try using "speed limiter" for breaking. Activating it slows down the car fast without it spinning out. I saw a guy using it in a youtube video. I'm not sure how much it really helped me but I used this tactic on sharp turns along with regular break tapping.

- Grass shortcuts. They're like a speed boost for the car.

On 5/20/2024 at 3:06 AM, kumo_mick said:

I was 1st about 1/2 way through the 1st lap and just kept extending that lead using the ram technique around most of the corners. Definitely not a scripted race. 

Using the Ram technique to straighten up around corners took the difficulty down to a 4 for me.

It is scripted as the highest positioned cpu driver will crash in lap 2, and then again another driver in lap 3. You won't see this happening when you are in first place from lap 1. 

If you find yourself in place 3 after lap 1, keep your position as you will win due to the scripted events. Same goes for being place 2 after lap 2.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, HansPatat050 said:

It is scripted as the highest positioned cpu driver will crash in lap 2, and then again another driver in lap 3. You won't see this happening when you are in first place from lap 1. 

If you find yourself in place 3 after lap 1, keep your position as you will win due to the scripted events. Same goes for being place 2 after lap 2.

Can't say I noticed that ever happening when I was travelling along in 2nd & 2rd positions on my multiple tries.

I think I got lucky on my 10th or so attempt where 1st and 2nd crashed into each other so I could just breeze into 1st and just had to make sure I didnt make any stupid mistakes to spin out.  Wish I had thought about using the RAM button as that sounds like a genius move.