Sales aren’t the same

kidson2004

Not a rant, but a thought of how different sales are hitting us back to back to back to back weeks/months. Like what happened to having a really good sale? Like when was the last time we had a very good flash sale? Feels like it’s been years since we last had one. 

What happened to sales like the Legendary 99 cents sale? Or having a good sale like once a month? Nowadays, sales are popping up every week, and to be totally transparent: I’m not complaining at all, I’m just wondering why the barrage of sales like this? It’s bad enough they’re a copy and paste of different sales with the same games from previous sales, but there’s no unique deals. The deal of the week is a nice touch, but it’s like a weekly flash sale (which again, no longer exists). 

So I’m wondering if we’ll have good sales ever again. What do you think? 

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 3

I feel like, ever since it was clear that PS4 would end up way ahead of Xbox One in units sold, the quality of PSN sales has gone down. There are still some great deals to be found, but less frequently. Also, why did they stop putting Vita games on sale... even games with both PS4 and Vita versions, only the PS4 version gets marked down. 

And they stopped e-mailing 20% off coupons too.

25 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Not a rant, but a though of how different sales are hitting us back to back to back to back weeks/months. Like what happened to having a really good sale? Like when was the last time we had a very good flash sale? Feels like it’s been years since we last had one. 

What happened to sales like the Legendary 99 cents sale? Or having a good sale like once a month? Nowadays, sales are popping up every week, and to be totally transparent: I’m not complaining at all,  it just wondering why the barrage of sales like this? It’s bad enough they’re a copy and paste of different sales with the same games from previous sales, but there’s no unique deals. The deal of the week is a nice touch, but it’s like a weekly flash sale (which again, no longer exists). 

Since every sale requires two parties to be in coordination to happen, the publisher and Sony, I'm going to say early on Sony was taking the time to vet out and coordinate with publishers on themed sales.

Now, with so many publishers in the store, Sony just publishes the sales and doesn't put a lot of effort into emotional appeals. You market to generate more sales. If your sales are coming in with spending less time and effort, then you don't wasting that money. That's business marketing.

Appealing more to people who only want to give you less money is pretty much a downward spiral you don't want to get caught in.

And I'm sure Sony is isn't turning down PS3/Vita publishers who want to put there games on sale. It's the publishers who aren't putting their games on sale, not Sony.

For the people still upset about missing Vita/PS3 sales.

57 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Not a rant, but a thought of how different sales are hitting us back to back to back to back weeks/months. Like what happened to having a really good sale? Like when was the last time we had a very good flash sale? Feels like it’s been years since we last had one. 

What happened to sales like the Legendary 99 cents sale? Or having a good sale like once a month? Nowadays, sales are popping up every week, and to be totally transparent: I’m not complaining at all, I’m just wondering why the barrage of sales like this? It’s bad enough they’re a copy and paste of different sales with the same games from previous sales, but there’s no unique deals. The deal of the week is a nice touch, but it’s like a weekly flash sale (which again, no longer exists). 

Yeah. I think the problem is the structure of digital sales (and stores). In a real store, old supply would be dumped, one time, at a low price, and then gone. But with a digital store, that doesn't happen. Further, companies don't seem keen on lowering their overall price point forever on an old game. Rather, they can just use a Sony sale to advertise what should already be the regular price. I mean, having a game like Witcher 3 still have a regular price of $59.99 is absurd. Sure - it appears every other week at $14.99, but that's not really a sale.

Thus, we get perpetual "sales" that suck. 

25 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

And I'm sure Sony is isn't turning down PS3/Vita publishers who want to put there games on sale. It's the publishers who aren't putting their games on sale, not Sony.

For the people still upset about missing Vita/PS3 sales.

Maybe, but there is often some weirdness in this regard. For example, I bought a second-rate RPG called Dex early this year. The game was cross-buy, so buying the PS4 version also netted the Vita version. However, on the PS4 store (for the PS4 version), the price was $1.99. On the Vita store, the price remained $14.99. 

Maybe that's on the publisher, but I feel that Sony should have a bit more synergy with its prices.

Edited by starcrunch061

Blimey, I've got over 100 games I haven't started yet, brought Rabi-Ribi for £3.99 and Tales of Berseria for £3.19 a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm tempted with the Deal of the Week which is Assassins Creed Gold Edition for £23.99.

There's so much choice, all the time, at prices I could only have dreamed of years ago. Then there's physical copies of games that if I'm patient for I never spend more than £15 on.

Looking at your profile you've got 334 games and a lot you've hardly touched, are you really going to play the games you buy anyway? Everything is so easily available and cheap we forget what we actually have. I didn't have 334 games even going back to my Amiga when I got games copied for free each week with x-copy.

1 hour ago, TJ_Solo said:

???

What's wrong tj, run out of shitty games to defend, and now put your sight on sales? On the possibility of you being genuine, instead of doing your usual tirade about "gamers" always being unhappy, overabundance of people you deliberately seek on the internet, I shall explain my argument:

Compare the discounts you get these days with Psprices, and you'll see that the discount are the same, or even worse for the most part.

For example, it's been 8 months that the standard edition of Borderlands 3 has seen a difference in prices of a measly 60 cents, the deluxe edition of Conan Exile saw a rise out of 7,50  euro compared  to what it was on  June 2019, so did the Batman Arkham collection rise by 2.70 euros compared to what it had on the past,  or Shadow of War deluxe being 25 instead of 20, and this is just a quick glance, it doesn't even end at price hikes, the value that the games had  is still too high, Star Wars, jedi fallen warrior is at this point, only half of  the original price, even though it's been out for a year and EA aren't as greedy as Activision with discounts, hell, even Namco with their shovelware low prices are being more stingy than usual, or ubisoft, that decided to add more to the last discount they had on Far Cry 5 (you could buy Far Cry 5 cheaper than now on September 2019, 13 months).

As Covid prefers social distancing, it does not take a genius to see that digital benefits from it while retail is damaged, making the competition  skewered towards digital, so, Sony and publishers are more confident that they can squeeze you more money out of the sale(s).

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 3

I've got so many games I can't even remember what they are (never loaded).  Picked them up at the sales, but I will have to admit, this year they really don't see to be as good as in the past.

I find I've been visiting my local GameStop to get some nice deals.

One big complaint I have on the digital games is a few developers have made it to where if you purchase the digital version, only that account can play the game.  Other family members (with their PSN account on the same console) cannot play it. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Are sales worse than they were, though? Based on what? Number of games, discounts, "quality" of games? I'm not being snarky, but a 10% sale on 1000 games, a 50% off on 500 shovelware,  or a 99 cents sale on 50 games are not the same. And I'd be curious about the actual data. (Also, those 99-cent sales were 5-6 years ago. Hardly news at this point.)

There's a good chance this is based on pure perception: I started buying games in year X, so there were tons of things that interested me and I picked up. The next time around, if those games were on sale again, I didn't notice them. There were fewer games that were new to me. So the sale looked worse.

I mean, god knows I have a huge backlog, and I still find things to buy every week. And despite the amazing games that -are- present in every sale, two-thirds of comments -will- be that the sale sucks. Just go down the forum. "This sale sucks" often simply means "there's no game I know and wanted in the sale". If they dug and looked up the games they don't know, they might actually change their mind?

i miss the flash sales but still get plenty of games more than ever. a bad sale comes along there's more weeks i can save that cash to put it towards the next one.

have seen variety at times. not always the same games (most are the same but new ones pop up).

Edited by kingdrake2

The problem (at least for Canadians) is new games are so expensive that these crazy sales just make the game the same price it used to be 5 or 6 years ago.

So the sale comes and it is a year old game for 40 dollars ? like that is not a sale...oh but it comes with a digital soundtrack and artwork ????? oh wait google and youtube exist so your bullshit add ons are pointless.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

Most people blame Sony, but you need to realise that the Devs are the ones who control the prices.

Publishers. 

3 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

What's wrong tj, run out of shitty games to defend, and now put your sight on sales? On the possibility of you being genuine, instead of doing your usual tirade about "gamers" always being unhappy, overabundance of people you deliberately seek on the internet, I shall explain my argument:

Compare the discounts you get these days with Psprices, and you'll see that the discount are the same, or even worse for the most part.

For example, it's been 8 months that the standard edition of Borderlands 3 has seen a difference in prices of a measly 60 cents, the deluxe edition of Conan Exile saw a rise out of 7,50  euro compared  to what it was on  June 2019, so did the Batman Arkham collection rise by 2.70 euros compared to what it had on the past,  or Shadow of War deluxe being 25 instead of 20, and this is just a quick glance, it doesn't even end at price hikes, the value that the games had  is still too high, Star Wars, jedi fallen warrior is at this point, only half of  the original price, even though it's been out for a year and EA aren't as greedy as Activision with discounts, hell, even Namco with their shovelware low prices are being more stingy than usual, or ubisoft, that decided to add more to the last discount they had on Far Cry 5 (you could buy Far Cry 5 cheaper than now on September 2019, 13 months).

As Covid prefers social distancing, it does not take a genius to see that digital benefits from it while retail is damaged, making the competition  skewered towards digital, so, Sony and publishers are more confident that they can squeeze you more money out of the sale(s).

Your comment made no sense. You use blame and buzzwords when you don't fully understand what you're talking about
My "???" was to indicate how dizzyingly confused your comment made me at the time.

So....???

Edited by TJ_Solo

8 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

Looking at your profile you've got 334 games and a lot you've hardly touched, are you really going to play the games you buy anyway? Everything is so easily available and cheap we forget what we actually have. I didn't have 334 games even going back to my Amiga when I got games copied for free each week with x-copy.

Yeah I do, and for the most part I can comeback to them whenever, however, my point is that the quality of sales are just terrible and they keep force-feeding them to us with no remorse.