Getting Started/General Tips

MooseSketts

Very well written post. Good job. I took a different route and went full strength/endurance and I 100% agree that using spells is more efficient in combat. That heal spell is a godsend, too.

Also,don't spend points on the summon camel ability. I thought it would give you a mount, but all it does is allow you to recall your mount once you have one.

Goodluck on the trophy hunting, I think this is going to be a niche game with very little guidance so we need to keep communication up in order to advance.

• Like 4

Thanks!

15 hours ago, TheProjectHate said:

Also,don't spend points on the summon camel ability. I thought it would give you a mount, but all it does is allow you to recall your mount once you have one.

Good call!  I'm going to add that into the top post. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 11:38 AM, MooseSketts said:

I thought I'd be generous and share some tips.  Sometimes, I find the explanations in this game a bit lacking in crucial information.

• Decide where you want to allot your Attribute points.

There are no character classes in the traditional sense of RPGs.  It is imperative to decide which weapon/s to start with and allot your Attributes accordingly as respecing your points is not an option (at least early on).  Keep in mind that you will - or should - be using Magic at some point and will need to add some Attribute points into Intelligence and Wisdom.

• Dual wielding weapons is your best friend.
  • You cannot recollect arrows or bolts on the ground/from enemies when using a bow or crossbow.
  • Try to obtain a Fire or Ice spell.
  • Eventually, obtain the Heal spell (ideally, either during or after Fort Hinuol, which is the dungeon located West of Firlun, the second city you will be going to during the main questline).
  • Do side dungeons if you can for extra experience points and items.
  • You can roll into breakable object, like barrels, with :square: (Square).

As an example:  I wanted to have my playstyle fit that of a Rogue.  A bulk of my stats are in Dexterity (for daggers/bows/crossbows) and Endurance.  I have some points in Wisdom and Intelligence for spells.  And almost nothing in Strength.  I went with a Fire spell (Fire Ball) and was able to eventually get Fire Circle (which does decent damage) and got the Heal spell after Fort Hinuol.

In towns talk to all NPCs.  They may offer you Quests to complete. 

• Do not waste your gold by purchasing any armor or weapons from the shops.  You will find equal or better equipment in the dungeons (Ashwick Sewer, Luppi Ruins, The Snake Pit, etc.).
  • Creatures that have names (bosses excluded) usually drop a Unique item - weapons or armor - which will be better than what you can purchase in shops.
  • In Ashwick, do not select the option to call Foddy “Foody” as he will raise his prices.
  • I find that Foddy is a good person to sell unwanted items to (mostly armor and weapons) as he seems to pay the highest, even if it is just a few coins more.

Abilities:

• Abilities are unlocked by collecting Ability Coins in dungeons.
  • Don't spend points on the Summon Mount ability.  I thought it would give you a mount, but all it does is allow you to recall your mount once you have one. (Credit: @TheProjectHate)

Rewards:

• Rewards can be obtained from unlocking a trophy/achievement.
  • Rewards can be obtained from 100% clearing a Dungeon.
  • Personally, I forgo getting gold as a reward and I usually go for experience points or scrolls.

Crafting:

• Crafting is guaranteed to fail numerous times before anything is successful (which can be discouraging).
  • Keep the slider between the two boundaries for Good by tapping :cross: (X) when needed.
  • To at least have some success (to get done the Tavern Quests), I find that the best way to quickly level up the Cooking Skill is to unlock the Fried Rat Tail recipe (gained through levelling up the Cooking Skill).

Creature Capturing:

• Like Crafting, Creature Capturing will not always work and, for just starting out, it is rather expensive.
  • To capture a creature, you must drop Bait on the ground, making sure to lead the creature over the bait, then lay down a trap and lead it over the trap.  Keep doing this until a ton of green hearts are floating out of the creature.  Then run over to the creature to capture it. 
    • To give an example my first creature captured was the Fungus.  It took 5 to 7 pieces of small bait and about 3 small traps before I could run over and capture it.  I captured my first creature after I finished Fort Hinuol so I knew that I would have enough coins to purchase supplies.

Co-Op:

• Couch co-op only. 
  • Turn on the controller and drop right in, more or less. 
  • Items and gold are not shared between both characters (meaning if Player 1 grabs all the items in a chest all of those items solely go to Player 1). 
  • If either player needs to drop an item for the other player, simply go to that item in your inventory, hold :square: (Square) and drag it to the edge of the menu. 
  • Player 2 cannot collect Rewards.

Nameless NPC:

• Near the second town, Firlun, you will come across a Nameless NPC trapped in a collapsed building.
    • Can be controlled by the player and level up the same way.
    • Can get Rewards.
    • Falls into the same category as Player 2 in terms of item sharing.
    • Cannot pick up items when not being controlled.
    • Can have up to 10 creatures.
  • Not quite sure how to make it so Nameless NPC casts spells more often (as it stands now it seems to happen rarely).  Until it is explained better or an update is released where the player can adjust the frequency of spell casting for Nameless NPC, take that into consideration when assigning Attribute points.

There has been a recent update which fixed some bugs and added some things to make the game's UI a bit easier (for example hitting triangle in a chest to Take All items).  I'm sure some of the things mentioned here will not age well.

So I got the nameless guy and idk if its me, but I can't seem to figure out how to drop items from my main character to give to him. I can't select move and then swap to characters, and I even tried putting items in the bank but of course each character has their own bank.

Edit: not sure why it was not working but booted the game up again and did it and it worked fine. Really enjoying the game so far, I feel like some of the crafting and monster catching rates are brutal, especially early on (still haven't caught anything yet), but im assuming because they will make a huge difference and pay off in the long run. Hopefully some more people pick this up and it gets a bit more visibility so there are more ideas and tips/tricks being shared.

Edited by MyNameIs_Rainman
I'm a dummy

3 hours ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

So I got the nameless guy and idk if its me, but I can't seem to figure out how to drop items from my main character to give to him. I can't select move and then swap to characters, and I even tried putting items in the bank but of course each character has their own bank.

When you have your menu open for Player 1 hold :square: (Square) over the item you wish to drop.  Drag the item to the left edge of the menu and there should be an arrow with the word "Drop".  Release :square: (Square).  Sometimes, the item you are dragging and dropping will follow the cursor; other times it doesn't.  I am assuming it is a glitch.

Obviously, at this point when all the items you want to transfer to Nameless are dropped switch to Nameless.  You may need to move a little bit with your main character.  I've been finding that hitting :triangle: (Triangle) sometimes doesn't seem to work and if that happens you can always open the menu and scroll on the left menu screen to Nameless to switch characters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MooseSketts said:

When you have your menu open for Player 1 hold :square: (Square) over the item you wish to drop.  Drag the item to the left edge of the menu and there should be an arrow with the word "Drop".  Release :square: (Square).  Sometimes, the item you are dragging and dropping will follow the cursor; other times it doesn't.  I am assuming it is a glitch.

Obviously, at this point when all the items you want to transfer to Nameless are dropped switch to Nameless.  You may need to move a little bit with your main character.  I've been finding that hitting :triangle: (Triangle) sometimes doesn't seem to work and if that happens you can always open the menu and scroll on the left menu screen to Nameless to switch characters.

Thanks for the response! I ended up doing it, I think it just got a little glitchy on me, but it worked fine. I find sometimes that if I'm doing something and I quickly switch or try to toggle something it won't work, almost like it doesn't register the input if its too quick, but nothing that really bothers me.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 6:25 PM, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Its crazy how much gold early on is needed to catch a creature! I spend in total maybe 30k in gold and finally leveled up to creature capture level 7 and caught a crab! 

Creature capturing is way too expensive and random at beginning. I found a book that gave a bunch of creature rearing XP so I'm hoping to find some that give creature capturing XP before I really try to start capturing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Killbomb said:

Creature capturing is way too expensive and random at beginning. I found a book that gave a bunch of creature rearing XP so I'm hoping to find some that give creature capturing XP before I really try to start capturing. 

After putting some time into the game the one thing that comes up for most skills and activity is gold. So I found it beneficial to do everything in my power to boost my barter skill.

Sell everything you don't need, dungeons will always have better weapons than what you can buy, and now I just craft whatever gear. Once you have access to the pickaxe do yourself a favor and rubberband and go mining AFK. I can't tell you the thousands of ores (even basic iron ore, that's what worked for me) and I first started by selling charcoal and got thousands of gold. All those big sales increase your skill for bartering and make your selling better and buying lower.

Now I buy traps for like half the price, have hundreds of baits and just spam baits on monsters, because that also raises the monster capture skill. Your goal for monster catching is to get those passive abilities that boost the success rate ASAP. I cannot tell you how much I struggled to get to 7, but buying that skill was a great investment. Then 15 I think is the next roadblock, and now I'm in the thirties and have been catching a handful, I have about 15 monsters, barter skill is in the 60s so I make tends of thousands of gold even on selling batches of iron swords. Just got access to gold and the magic pickaxe so very interested to see how my gear, skills, and bank start to rack up.

• Like 2

I probably should make another thread about these questions I'm about to ask, but since a bulk of our conversations about the game are here it didn't feel right to start a new thread.  I should probably just rename this thread.

I have a couple questions that I hope someone could answer.  Spoilers in the second question. 

1. How do I know how many ingredients I require for crafting (example:  Alchemy)?  I thought that the number usually showed up on the item picture after you selected a recipe, but it doesn't seem to always show up.  When it doesn't show up I am assuming I do not have enough of said item because I cannot craft.
  2. At the Shadow Guild are 
    Spoiler

any of the assassination contracts going to screw up the progression of certain quests and lock you out of them?  I know you can revive the NPCs you kill by using the Revive spell, but - and for obvious reasons - the NPCs don't interact the same way with the Player (example:  Gerillo won't sell cloth to me anymore).

7 hours ago, MooseSketts said:

I probably should make another thread about these questions I'm about to ask, but since a bulk of our conversations about the game are here it didn't feel right to start a new thread.  I should probably just rename this thread.

I have a couple questions that I hope someone could answer.  Spoilers in the second question. 

1. How do I know how many ingredients I require for crafting (example:  Alchemy)?  I thought that the number usually showed up on the item picture after you selected a recipe, but it doesn't seem to always show up.  When it doesn't show up I am assuming I do not have enough of said item because I cannot craft.
  2. At the Shadow Guild are 
      Reveal hidden contents

any of the assassination contracts going to screw up the progression of certain quests and lock you out of them?  I know you can revive the NPCs you kill by using the Revive spell, but - and for obvious reasons - the NPCs don't interact the same way with the Player (example:  Gerillo won't sell cloth to me anymore).

On reddit I recall someone mentioning that they killed them revived an npc,  and their solution was to "sleep" a bunch of days. It could be that maybe the npc "forgets" the crime against them, idk. This is of unconfirmed on my end, as I havent got quite up to that part yet..well close, but whatever. I mean at this point, you could give it a try you dont seem to have much else to lose.

And when you select the item, let's say Apple juice. In the boxes it will show what is required. The bottom box with the finished product shows the potential amount you can get from crafting (like if you added 100 and you use 2 of each item, the potential would be 50), without factoring your skill level and success

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

On reddit I recall someone mentioning that they killed them revived an npc,  and their solution was to "sleep" a bunch of days. It could be that maybe the npc "forgets" the crime against them, idk. This is of unconfirmed on my end, as I havent got quite up to that part yet..well close, but whatever. I mean at this point, you could give it a try you dont seem to have much else to lose.

And when you select the item, let's say Apple juice. In the boxes it will show what is required. The bottom box with the finished product shows the potential amount you can get from crafting (like if you added 100 and you use 2 of each item, the potential would be 50), without factoring your skill level and success

I will try what you mentioned above for the NPCs (my pet accidentally killed an innocent bystander... or maybe he was just killing the witness - who knows? lol).  But all kidding aside I will report back with my findings.

As for the crafting I noticed I could see the quantities for Cooking, but not for Alchemy.  I'm probably being blind.  I will look again.  I noticed that with Alchemy if I select a recipe it will automatically add the, I'm assuming, best potent ingredients; however, I can only ever use one of those ingredients to create the recipe.  Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MooseSketts said:

I will try what you mentioned above for the NPCs (my pet accidentally killed an innocent bystander... or maybe he was just killing the witness - who knows? lol).  But all kidding aside I will report back with my findings.

As for the crafting I noticed I could see the quantities for Cooking, but not for Alchemy.  I'm probably being blind.  I will look again.  I noticed that with Alchemy if I select a recipe it will automatically add the, I'm assuming, best potent ingredients; however, I can only ever use one of those ingredients to create the recipe.  Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

I honestly haven't delved into alchemy so I can't confirm, I've mostly been grinding my mining, smelting, barter and creature skills. But the few times I tried alchemy I agree, it seems like it pulls the most reasonable ingredients but I havent noticed how it consumes them. Ill pay more attention to it when I play later. I've been having some mining while AFK so I hope to get online to some riches lol

• Like 1

For anyone wondering, an easy (time consuming though) way to get the trophy for getting any crafting skill to 100, you can just AFK mining with your controller rubber banded. Will take a long time, but your mining will eventually be 100, you will have a disgusting amount of ore to smelt and sell the products, also getting your barter up as well. Barter at 100 is a game changer, do not overlook it

• Like 2

On 10/13/2020 at 4:02 PM, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

I can confirm that the NPCs killed will forget that you killed them.  I'm not sure how many times you need to sleep though as I was out gallivanting around the continent doing side-dungeons.

• Like 1

Just started putting morphs onto my creatures, almost at morph 3 with one. Morphing is going to possibly be one of the biggest time sinks into the game, maybe with the getting all skills and abilities because some magic skills require the element level, not necessarily the destruction level. Speaking of which, does anyone have a method to quickly level up the magic skills? Its obvious i have to heal in order to raise my skill, but it seems like I might have to remove armor or something to purposely weaken myself and just spam heals, same thing for using magic spells, is it just casting the spell or defeating enemies with it?

Fishing seems like the yield will be excellent once you have the best bait and rod, and it levels up quickly. Just fished a bit here and there and im rank 60ish with it and haven't even done the second fishing quest.

All smithing skills will be time consuming. Some recipes are specific. Luckily it seems like the dungeons are set up in a way to provide you with most materials you need, or there will be a dungeon to go to for specific drops (goblin blood for example).

Should be able to finish up the dungeons in the next day or so.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Just started putting morphs onto my creatures, almost at morph 3 with one. Morphing is going to possibly be one of the biggest time sinks into the game, maybe with the getting all skills and abilities because some magic skills require the element level, not necessarily the destruction level. Speaking of which, does anyone have a method to quickly level up the magic skills? Its obvious i have to heal in order to raise my skill, but it seems like I might have to remove armor or something to purposely weaken myself and just spam heals, same thing for using magic spells, is it just casting the spell or defeating enemies with it?

I have been morphing my pet when it reaches level 90.  At the moment I've been grinding levels for my pet by killing Dragons and Valchists, but I'm sure any later dungeon with strong enemies will do.

As for leveling up Skills there are some enchantments on equipment that increase the experience gained for Skills.  They seem to help, but I too am struggling to level up some of the magic Skills in order to unlock abilities.  I am unsure with the offensive magic spells if either casting, killing an enemy, or a combination of both levels it up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MooseSketts said:

I have been morphing my pet when it reaches level 90.  At the moment I've been grinding levels for my pet by killing Dragons and Valchists, but I'm sure any later dungeon with strong enemies will do.

As for leveling up Skills there are some enchantments on equipment that increase the experience gained for Skills.  They seem to help, but I too am struggling to level up some of the magic Skills in order to unlock abilities.  I am unsure with the offensive magic spells if either casting, killing an enemy, or a combination of both levels it up.

I still got a few dungeons to clear, they are mostly lower level so ill run through them with no pets and no nameless and just spam weak magic attacks and see if it benefits more from constant usage or from actually killing enemies.

I just wanted to come here and tell you guys that the trophy to ''Craft all cooking recipes'' actually means master all cooking recipes. Craft 75 of each recipe. The final recipe requires 3x Raw Meat Legendary, 3x Legendary Fish and 3x Legendary mushrooms.

Took me about 30-45 minutes to get the 5 Legendary fish requires for the Fishing Trophy, so I can't imagine putting in the time to catch 225 Legendary fish.

Shame, I confirmed I have crafted at least 1 of each recipe and the trophy did not unlock.

If this also means master all crafting (weaponsmith, jewelery, alchemy, armorsmith, etc,) I believe I am done with attempting to platinum this game. Fun ride, but the grind is just too much for the crafting.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TheProjectHate said:

I just wanted to come here and tell you guys that the trophy to ''Craft all cooking recipes'' actually means master all cooking recipes. Craft 75 of each recipe. The final recipe requires 3x Raw Meat Legendary, 3x Legendary Fish and 3x Legendary mushrooms.

Took me about 30-45 minutes to get the 5 Legendary fish requires for the Fishing Trophy, so I can't imagine putting in the time to catch 225 Legendary fish.

Shame, I confirmed I have crafted at least 1 of each recipe and the trophy did not unlock.

I started doing the cooking and I was wondering if it meant to craft one of each or to master each.  Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  I hate to see you not platinum this game, but I understand what you mean about the grind...  I'm actually in the process of making some spreadsheets and the Hunting Journal alone is the most time consuming.

Speaking of the Hunting Journal...  does anyone know if the large creatures can eat the small creature bait, or if the small creatures can eat the large creature bait?

• Like 1

Listen, there might be a recipe I haven't unlocked yet that is a reward for a quest but I'm not sure on that. The discord seems to confirm my suspicions, but the game is still early in its life. Theres suggestions about releasing a vendor that would sell the required ingredients for cooking and reagents for alchemy, but we'll see.

As for the food, I can confirm large beasts eat small bait. Also small beasts do eat medium bait. Can't say for small beasts, large bait.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheProjectHate said:

Listen, there might be a recipe I haven't unlocked yet that is a reward for a quest but I'm not sure on that. The discord seems to confirm my suspicions, but the game is still early in its life. Theres suggestions about releasing a vendor that would sell the required ingredients for cooking and reagents for alchemy, but we'll see.

As for the food, I can confirm large beasts eat small bait. Also small beasts do eat medium bait. Can't say for small beasts, large bait.

7 hours ago, TheProjectHate said:

If this also means master all crafting (weaponsmith, jewelery, alchemy, armorsmith, etc,) I believe I am done with attempting to platinum this game. Fun ride, but the grind is just too much for the crafting.

Thats odd because the item journal you only need to get the item in your inventory once for it to count, not fulfill the items requirements in other journals (like fishing for example)

I agree, the grind is going to be absolutely dreadful for the journals and mastering those recipes. I hope there's some sort of QoL improvement down the line to make it easier to locate ingredients, creatures and items, and maybe cut back on some of the crafting recipes OR increase the exp gain. Trying to get destruction magic up and even that is going slow as hell and I havent used a physical attack in like the past day or so lol

Can somebody help me to find the way to Lorwyck Castle? I have reached the town of Rhunden, but now I am lost. I know where Lorwyck is located, but I cant find the way to it. The only dungeon which seems to lead to it is the Vundil Pass, but the monsters are way too strong for me at level 32.

Is there a different path or do I need to grind more? Thanks for your help.

• Like 1