PS5 Backwards Compatibility - List of games with info

HusKy

I have to assume that list of incompatible games will expand later. There's no way they tested all 4000+ games? Unless these games are only incompatible because of licensing problems.

It's kinda weird that Hitman GO is incompatible, but its sister game Lara Croft GO is compatible..

There's a lot of other interesting information in that support article. 

Transfer digital games from a PS4 console to a PS5 console

• You can transfer digital games and saved data from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using WiFi data transfer. 
  • You can access PS4 games on a PS5 console directly from a PS5 extended storage drive. 

Edited by peffsi
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, peffsi said:

I have to assume that list of incompatible games will expand later. There's no way they tested all 4000+ games?

It's kinda weird that Hitman GO is incompatible, but its sister game Lara Croft GO is compatible?

system will be out in a month and a half. more people will likely update the information. would not sell the ps4 if there's some games on there you can't play on ps5. can agree with the interesting information statement.

9 minutes ago, peffsi said:

I have to assume that list of incompatible games will expand later. There's no way they tested all 4000+ games? Unless these games are only incompatible because of licensing problems.

It's kinda weird that Hitman GO is incompatible, but its sister game Lara Croft GO is compatible..

Jesus....

I'm going to guess these games used some non-traditional coding to do something in those games which is incompatible with the instruction set of the PS5. Easy enough for Sony to ctrl+F code and find match cases. 

Hopefully this early list is a relief to a lot of people who expected the worst.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingdrake2 said:

system will be out in a month and a half. more people will likely update the information. would not sell the ps4 if there's some games on there you can't play on ps5. can agree with the interesting information statement.

Yeah, I just thought it is odd that they didn't include a statement like "This list is not final" or "We do not guarantee that these are the only incompatible games."

Sony normally uses language like that for legal reasons.

But here, they just said "here's the list."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peffsi said:

Yeah, I just thought it is odd that they didn't include a statement like "This list is not final" or "We do not guarantee that these are the only incompatible games."

Sony normally uses language like that for legal reasons.

But here, they just said "here's the list."

In that case, this list is probably the final one. 

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I see there's no word on PS2 Classics released for PS4. Is it safe to assume they're going to work on PS5 then?

I believe PS2 Classics just function as PS4 games. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't work on PS5.

Edited by peffsi
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Well, they're being emulated, right? So wouldn't this mean that PS5 needs to have a working PS2 emulator?

Hmm, I don't really have the technical knowledge to say for sure. My assumption is that if it works on PS4 and isn't on that incompatible list, it will work on PS5.

Would be odd for Sony to leave the PS2 classics off the list if they also don't work. Only way to know for sure is if a Sony rep answers your question.

1 hour ago, DEI2EK said:

I've had a disc from LRG of Shadow Complex Remastered sitting on my shelf for years, maybe i should finally get around to playing that.

I have a copy as well, it is really fun. I honestly expected more of the games I play to be on this list but that is the only 1.

Edited by Void
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Well, they're being emulated, right? So wouldn't this mean that PS5 needs to have a working PS2 emulator?

Yes, the PS2 games are running through an emulator. PS4 and PS5 are using the same x86-architecture so there shouldn't be any problems.

The PS5 doesn't need to have a working PS2 emulator because the emulator is not located on the console itself. You can treat all PS2 Classics as normal PS4 games.

But I'm actually a bit confused why some of the PS4 games are not working on PS5. As mentioned before, it's the exact same architecture. I don't see the reason why some of them are not working. But well, if it's just those 10 games, then I don't really care too much.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

From what I understood about the PS2 classics, the emulator was coded into each games executable and doesn't make system calls for emulation. Meaning the emulator isn't in PS4 system firmware itself.

• Like 1

That list is utterly short. Does this include PSN games? Because SIE have officially separated PSN and PS4 games as their own category. I want to know if I'll be able to play (PSN) games like Dead Nation and Sonic Mania, as well as PS2-PS4 games like Jak X: Combat Racing

Also, is it really the case that digital PS4 games can work on PS5s (physical edition)? That'd be fantastic.

49 minutes ago, HusKy said:

https://support.playstation.com/s/article/backward-compatibility?language=en_US&lan=

Full text below in case the link breaks or something:

Hide contents

PS4 game discs can’t be used with the PlayStation00ae.png5 Digital Edition. 

Love this disclaimer. 

This is a surprisingly short list though. Good job Sony.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, peffsi said:

Unless these games are only incompatible because of licensing problems.

In this case, I could almost guarantee it's a licensing issue.  Square Enix made Hitman Go when they owned IO Interactive and Hitman.  They don't anymore.  So there must be some clause where they can't release it on any new platforms.  Even though this isn't a new release, it might be enough reason for them to mark it PS4 only.

Hitman GO is one of my three platinums, so it's a bummer that game's gonna be left behind. It's a great little puzzle game, and my favorite example of someone adapting an action game into a mobile title successfully.

5 minutes ago, JediOniram said:

In this case, I could almost guarantee it's a licensing issue.  Square Enix made Hitman Go when they owned IO Interactive and Hitman.  They don't anymore.  So there must be some clause where they can't release it on any new platforms.  Even though this isn't a new release, it might be enough reason for them to mark it PS4 only.

That's a good point. I'm sure someone will ask IO Interactive about it, the devs are reasonably active on the hitman subreddit.

It's weird that Robinson: The Journey doesn't work, that's a recent game from a studio that's still active, but maybe Crytek didn't want to put in the time to patch it.

Edited by AgamemnonSR

I know this is only the beginning, but I have a bad feeling about the reason and I don't think its technology. Companies have made a great deal of money on remasters and remakes for games from PS1-PS3 releasing on PS4. Surprisingly, there are a good amount of PS3 games that got remastered and released on the PS4 (AC series and Uncharted are some that I can think of right now. Sure, most people that buy the remasters are new to the games themselves, but there is still people that will buy every version. Especially since companies can get away with applying a new coat of paint and charge new game prices. I wonder if we'll see companies say they won't work, because they want to sell remastered versions with a little better graphics on the PS5 rather than people buying the PS4 versions, which are going to be cheaper.

This is just a conspiracy theory, but I find it difficult to believe its a technology issue for not being able to run some PS4 games on PS5. These are basically computers at this point and should work as such....unless you're trying to run a DOS or Windows XP released game on Windows 10 without emulation.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 1