PS5 Backwards Compatibility - List of games with info

HusKy

So I had a look at the PlayStation Blog post they have about backwards compatibility and this part stuck out to me.

QGhnXH8.png

Source: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/09/ps4-games-on-ps5-your-top-questions-answered/

Especially the part that mentions how "select PS4 titles will see increased loading speeds". Why wouldn't *all* PS4 games have increased loading speeds on the PS5 by default? I mean if they're installed on the PS5's SSD, the only way they wouldn't be faster is if Sony was intentionally slowing them down. Very disappointing if true because this was one of the features I was most excited about. Besides that, it seems like we won't have any control over the "Game Boost", meaning only certain PS4 games will take advantage of the extra power. Both increased performance and faster loading times is something the Xbox Series X seems to do for every backwards compatible title, so I don't see why it should be any different for PS5.

• Like 1

Whoa, that list is much smaller than I was expecting it to be. I don’t own any of the listed games so it doesn’t affect me. I thought for sure Sony would of blocked games like Senran Kagura and Gal*Gun from being compatible to reflect their ongoing crusade. So far that doesn’t seem to be the case. With what is being presented on paper here, I’m pretty happy. I can keep relishing in PS4 content and know that practically all of it is future proofed with the new console.

Now... if I could get some form of PS1 compatibility... that would be great.

F076-C5-B8-6403-4800-82-C5-C3-A90-BDDDF7

• Like 3

Ah, so it looks like My Name is Mayo will be fine to play again on the PS5.  Awesome.

But seriously, nice to know that the list is short.  Means I can play my Spyro Reignited Trilogy again on the PS5 by the looks of things, as I'm sure that'll be PS5 compatible as well.  My only real concern with that one is the patch for the disc version that, you know, lets you play 2 and 3.  Hopefully that'll be available right away on the PS5.

But yeah, nice to know the list is short right now and hopefully it stays that way.  Hope that the webstore will be updated soon to reflect such info.

Ok so if they are compatible on PS5 let's say you started a game on PS4 then finish it on PS5 will the trophy list start over? Basically creating stacks? Or will it transfer over so you can just finish it on PS5. If that's the case will it be listed as a ps4 game on our list or ps5?

I apologise if these questions have been answered.

2 hours ago, Super_Mep said:

Ok so if they are compatible on PS5 let's say you started a game on PS4 then finish it on PS5 will the trophy list start over? Basically creating stacks? Or will it transfer over so you can just finish it on PS5. If that's the case will it be listed as a ps4 game on our list or ps5?

I apologise if these questions have been answered.

That's probably up to the developer. If you read what they say about crossgen save games you see it's up to the devs. If the game supports crossgen savegames i bet it will be the same trophy lists, if not there will probably be different lists. One for PS4 and for PS5. Cause if a game has 2 different trophy lists but support crossgen saves you could auto pop or you could mess up the trophy list where you imported the save.

How do PS4 game transfers and game saves work between the two consoles?

You can transfer digital games, game data, and game saves from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using LAN cables, or by connecting wirelessly (WiFi). If you’ve already stored PS4 games and game data in the external USB storage device connected to your PS4, you can bring them over to PS5 with that external USB storage device. And if you are a PS Plus member, you can also sync PS4 game saves on PS5 through cloud storage.

This:

Please note that the ability to transfer game saves between a PS4 version and a PS5 version of the same game is a developer decision, and will vary title by title for cross-generational games.

For Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, when players decide to upgrade from PS4 to PS5 their game saves will transfer.* Sackboy: A Big Adventure also will support game save transfers from PS4 to PS5 in an update that will be delivered shortly after the release of the game.* We’ll share additional details on both games closer to launch.

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 1

The list of incompatible games will grow much bigger as more people play more PS4 games on PS5, and I suspect most of the incompatible games will be indies. So, don't get rid of your PS4 system unless you won't need it anymore. :hmm:

Edited by zizimonster

None of the games listed are going to be anything to cry a mountain for since they're all rather niche and to some degree a little obscure. There's probably more games that may not work on the PS5, such as the mentioned sports titles that already have their servers shut down.

• Like 1

Just to clarify: running PS4 games on PS5 (assuming 100% compatibility and no extra enhancements) is like running them on a PS4 Pro right? So as a non-pro PS4 owner I should get the Pro benefits simply by upgrading to the PS5?

(to clarify: this is not a good enough reason to go buy a PS5 for me, but if my PS4 were to die it would merely help me decide between buying a replacement PS4 Pro or go for a PS5)

12 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Especially the part that mentions how "select PS4 titles will see increased loading speeds". Why wouldn't *all* PS4 games have increased loading speeds on the PS5 by default? I mean if they're installed on the PS5's SSD, the only way they wouldn't be faster is if Sony was intentionally slowing them down. Very disappointing if true because this was one of the features I was most excited about. Besides that, it seems like we won't have any control over the "Game Boost", meaning only certain PS4 games will take advantage of the extra power. Both increased performance and faster loading times is something the Xbox Series X seems to do for every backwards compatible title, so I don't see why it should be any different for PS5.

From my understanding, a boosted mode would be needed to be tested and implemented on a case my case basis, because in some cases having the ultra fast ssd could cause some games to actually run faster than intended and malfunction by extension because they were originally optimized for the ps4 hdd. I could be just talking out of my ass though.

I was too hoping to make use of the SSD for some games with notable and constant loading times (looking at XCOM 2 and Pillars of Eternity) but alas, I could see Sony only putting boost mode on first party and big AAA titles.

21 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I see there's no word on PS2 Classics released for PS4. Is it safe to assume they're going to work on PS5 then?

Naughty Dog Tweeted that all their games on PS4 will be playable on PS5 included the Jak and Daxter games. At least those PS2 to PS4 games we know for sure will work on PS5.

Out of that list of 10 games I only have of them Shadwen and Hitman go. Have the plat in Hitman Go and really don't care to go back to Shadwen.

• Like 1

It has been written that “PS5 consoles do not support the PS4 Second Screen app or game companion apps.“ Basically, all PlayLink games (That’s You!, Knowledge is Power, Hidden Agenda, Just Deal With It, etc.) are incompatible with the PS5 since they require a companion app to be played. There are more games incompatible than Sony forgot to mention.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

It has been written that “PS5 consoles do not support the PS4 Second Screen app or game companion apps.“ Basically, all PlayLink games (That’s You!, Knowledge is Power, Hidden Agenda, Just Deal With It, etc.) are incompatible with the PS5 since they require a companion app to be played. There are more games incompatible than Sony forgot to mention.

Do you have a list handy of all the Play Link games?

2 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

Do you have a list handy of all the Play Link games?

- That’s You!

- Knowledge Is Power

- Knowledge Is Power: Decades

- Hidden Agenda

- Melbits Words

- Frantics

- Ticket to Ride - USA and France

- Wordhunters

- Just Deal With It!

- Champarty

- Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier

• Like 1