PS5 Backwards Compatibility - List of games with info

HusKy

On 10/9/2020 at 9:32 AM, EcoShifter said:

That list is utterly short. Does this include PSN games? Because SIE have officially separated PSN and PS4 games as their own category. I want to know if I'll be able to play (PSN) games like Dead Nation and Sonic Mania, as well as PS2-PS4 games like Jak X: Combat Racing

Also, is it really the case that digital PS4 games can work on PS5s (physical edition)? That'd be fantastic.

Hitman Go is a PSN game, and I think Shadwen was only PSN too since Frozenbyte (dev) usually doesn’t release a physical copy. 

9 hours ago, Sifferino said:

Just to clarify: running PS4 games on PS5 (assuming 100% compatibility and no extra enhancements) is like running them on a PS4 Pro right? So as a non-pro PS4 owner I should get the Pro benefits simply by upgrading to the PS5?

(to clarify: this is not a good enough reason to go buy a PS5 for me, but if my PS4 were to die it would merely help me decide between buying a replacement PS4 Pro or go for a PS5)

Mark Cerny explained the three modes in the State of Play and it’s probably best to watch his explanation, he did a pretty good job. 

Summary: there is PS4 mode, Pro mode, and Boosted mode. Previous levels can be selected to fall back on if the later mode proves to be unplayable. 

Edited by DaivRules

I'd be very curious the technical reason why only these handful of games won't work.  Not for any "I think they're hiding something" kinda reason, just professional curiosity.

On 10/9/2020 at 11:49 AM, DEI2EK said:

I've had a disc from LRG of Shadow Complex Remastered sitting on my shelf for years, maybe i should finally get around to playing that.

To be honest, kinda makes me want to sell mine.  If literally every other disc on my shelf works except that when the day comes that the PS5 is in and the PS4 is out... then it just doesn't belong. xD

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'd be very curious the technical reason why only these handful of games won't work.  Not for any "I think they're hiding something" kinda reason, just professional curiosity.

This^

I can understand the Play Link games not working but the other 9 are baffling to me, especially the TT Racing game since that only came out in May of this year so by rights it should work on the PS5.

Looks like that, according to Sony XDev Europe, all PlayLink games (which require mobile devices and companion app to play) will also be playable on PS5 via backward compatibility, despite that Just Deal With It has been in the list of "incompatible titles" and that it officially states that "companion apps won't work on PS5" in the FAQ regarding BC. Less games from the list.

Edited by MaxieM0us3

1 hour ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

Looks like that, according to Sony XDev Europe, all PlayLink games (which require mobile devices and companion app to play) will also be playable on PS5 via backward compatibility, despite that Just Deal With It has been in the list of "incompatible titles" and that it officially states that "companion apps won't work on PS5" in the FAQ regarding BC. Less games from the list.

If there's no Companion App support, then how are those games going to work without them?

TT Isle of Man is getting a patch now so that's one more game that's compatible with PS5.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/tt_isle_of_man_2_will_receive_ps5_backwards_compatibility_update

Shadwen is never getting a PS5 patch because as the devs state "...for some reason, Shadwen freezes on the loading screen. If this happened on one of our newer games, we'd probably figure out the reason quickly. Unfortunately, Shadwen is quite old, using an older version of our engine, and we don't have it up and running anymore."

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/why_shadwen_wont_be_backwards_compatible_on_ps5

• Like 2

18 hours ago, flashpool23 said:

TT Isle of Man is getting a patch now so that's one more game that's compatible with PS5.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/tt_isle_of_man_2_will_receive_ps5_backwards_compatibility_update

Shadwen is never getting a PS5 patch because as the devs state "...for some reason, Shadwen freezes on the loading screen. If this happened on one of our newer games, we'd probably figure out the reason quickly. Unfortunately, Shadwen is quite old, using an older version of our engine, and we don't have it up and running anymore."

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/why_shadwen_wont_be_backwards_compatible_on_ps5

I was just going to post this about Shadwen.

I still don't understand why Hitman Go doesn't work on PS5 but Lara Croft Go does. It is great that only 10 games out of all the PS4 games doesn't work.

1 hour ago, snakebit10 said:

I was just going to post this about Shadwen.

I still don't understand why Hitman Go doesn't work on PS5 but Lara Croft Go does. It is great that only 10 games out of all the PS4 games doesn't work.

Aside a sad few games being incompatible, it's nice to see that you can easily replace the PS4 for the PS5 as a two-in-one system, as long as you're ready to move on after getting all trophies for incompatible games.

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

Aside a sad few games being incompatible, it's nice to see that you can easily replace the PS4 for the PS5 as a two-in-one system, as long as you're ready to move on after getting all trophies for incompatible games.

Shadwen is the only game I have on that list that I haven't completed. At this point I really don't care if I do. It was frustrating, clunky and boring. It is nice to know I will be to trade in my PS4. I would have to to have room. I have such a small place for my gaming. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ubisoft have said the following games are not playable on PS5. 

On PlayStation®5, all games will be backward compatible except the following ones: Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Trilogy Pack, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles India, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles China, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Russia, Risk, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Werewolves Within, Space Junkies.

LINK

Edited by GUDGER666

21 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Ubisoft have said the following games are not playable on PS5. 

On PlayStation00ae.png5, all games will be backward compatible except the following ones: Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Trilogy Pack, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles India, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles China, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles Russia, Risk, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Werewolves Within, Space Junkies.

LINK

Beat me to it. Was just coming to post it. Had been thinking about playing AC Syndicate. I just bought the trilogy pack 

What I don't understand is Syndicate won't be but ones that are older like Unity and AC4 will be. 

• Like 2

Sounds like PS5 backwards compatibility with PS4 isn't quite as extensive as we were lead to believe. Even more reason to hold off buying the PS5 for a while then. If you have a sizable PS4 backlog like me, it would be risky to outright replace your PS4 with a PS5 until we know for sure which games are incompatible with the system.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Sounds like PS5 backwards compatibility with PS4 isn't quite as extensive as we were lead to believe. Even more reason to hold off buying the PS5 for a while then. If you have a sizable PS4 backlog like me, it would be risky to outright replace your PS4 with a PS5 until we know for sure which games are incompatible with the system.

My initial though was once I get a PS5 I will just sell of my PS4. Don't look like that will happen right away. I'll keep my PS4 for a little while until we know for sure what games is and isn't playable on PS5. I have Syndicate downloading now and most likely am going to play that before I get a PS5, but I have the trilogy pack also and now I don't know if I will play that one or not. I won't want to play AC games back to back.

Also makes me wonder if other developers will come out and say their games aren't working on PS5 before the launch.

• Like 2

A Ubisoft rep told Gematsu: “We have pulled the Ubisoft Connect article and forum post re backwards compatibility for the time being as there may be inaccuracies involving the Ubisoft titles that will be playable on PS5."

Twitter

I came across an interesting post on Reddit that brought an interesting point regarding "backwards compatibility". While Sony originally released a list mentioning games they tested and were unable to get running on the PS5 (PSNP forum about it here) they did not mention games that could run on PS5 but might have issues in some parts of the game (features changed/missing, new glitches). This post embedded below describes it better but the gist of it is, games categorized as 'BOOTABLE' might make "backwards compatibility" a smaller list than expected. 

Link if not showing : LINK

List if not showing : 

Spoiler
  • A summer with the Shiba Inu
  • Active Soccer 2 DX
  • American Ninja Warrior: Challenge
  • Anomaly 2
  • APB Reloaded
  • Ape Escape™ 2
  • Arcade Land
  • Assassin’s Creed® Chronicles: India
  • Assassin’s Creed® Chronicles: Russia
  • Assassin’s Creed® Chronicles: Trilogy Pack
  • Assassin's Creed® Syndicate
  • Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition
  • Atrapa la bandera
  • Batman: Return to Arkham - Arkham City
  • Battlezone®
  • Call of Duty®: Black Ops 4
  • Call of Duty®: Infinite Warfare
  • Chicken Police
  • Clan N
  • Close to the Sun
  • Crossout
  • Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade
  • DARIUS COZMIC COLLECTION ARCADE EDITION
  • Daylight
  • Dead Island Retro Revenge
  • Dead Nation™ -黙示録-
  • Dead Nation™: Apocalypse Edition
  • DEAD OR ALIVE Xtreme 3 Fortune
  • DEAD OR ALIVE Xtreme 3 Fortune Free-to-Play Version
  • DEAD OR ALIVE Xtreme 3 Scarlet
  • Deliver Us The Moon
  • Dino Frontier
  • Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King
  • Doki-Doki Universe™
  • DOOM VFR
  • Dreams™ Creator Beta
  • Dungeon Rushers
  • DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 Empires
  • DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 Empires Free Alliances Version
  • DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
  • Entwined™
  • EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone™
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Feral Fury
  • Filthy Lucre
  • Flinthook
  • Frisky Business
  • Game of Thrones
  • Gensokyo Defenders
  • Geometry Wars³: Dimensions
  • Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered
  • GRIP
  • Hardware: Rivals™
  • Hardware™: Rivals
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice™
  • How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition
  • KickBeat Special Edition
  • Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
  • LEFT ALIVE
  • Let's Sing 10
  • Let's Sing 2018
  • LIGHTFIELD
  • LittleBigPlanet™3
  • Mafia III The Complete Edition
  • Mafia III: Definitive Edition
  • Manhunt
  • METAL SLUG™ ANTHOLOGY
  • MLB® 14 The Show™
  • MLB® 15 The Show™
  • MLB® The Show™ 16
  • MLB® The Show™ 17
  • MLB® The Show™ 18
  • MLB® The Show™ 19
  • MOTHERGUNSHIP
  • NBA 2K19
  • NBA 2K20
  • Need for Speed™
  • NHL® 19
  • Nobunaga's Ambition Souzou
  • NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: Sphere of Influence
  • OKAGE: Shadow King
  • Onigiri
  • Operation Warcade
  • Paddle Vs. Paddle
  • Pinball Arcade
  • PixARK
  • PixelJunk™ Shooter Ultimate
  • PlayStation®VR Demo Disc 2
  • Prey
  • Primal™
  • PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2018
  • PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2018 LITE
  • Project CARS
  • Project CARS GOTY Edition
  • PROJECT CARS PERFECT EDITION
  • Pure Hold'em™
  • Pure Hold'em™ - World Poker Championship
  • Pure Pool™
  • Realm Royale
  • RIGS Mechanized Combat League™
  • RISK
  • Roundabout
  • Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul
  • Sea of Solitude
  • Season Match 2 HD
  • Season Match 3 Curse of the Witch Crow
  • Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal
  • Senran Kagura ESTIVAL VERSUS
  • Senran Kagura PEACH BEACH SPLASH
  • Shuttle Commander
  • Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
  • SMITE
  • Space Junkies
  • STAR OCEAN Second Evolution
  • Star Ocean®: Till The End Of Time™
  • STAR STRIKE™ULTRA
  • STAR STRIKE™ULTRA VR
  • Star Trek™: Bridge Crew
  • Super Kids Racing
  • Super Stardust™Ultra
  • Super Stardust™Ultra VR
  • Survive Said The Prophet VR EXPERIENCE
  • SWORD ART ONLINE Re: Hollow Fragment
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™: Mutants in Manhattan
  • Tennis World Tour
  • The Golf Club 2019
  • THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2000™
  • The Surge
  • The Tomorrow Children™
  • The Virtual Orchestra (Preview)
  • The Walking Dead: Season 1
  • The Warriors
  • Tooth and Tail
  • True Fear: Forsaken Souls Part 2
  • Until Dawn®: Rush of Blood
  • Valhalla Hills
  • Velocity®2X
  • Werewolves Within
  • WRC 8 FIA World Rally Championship
  • Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

Site to check if bootable game : https://andshrew.github.io/supreme-enigma/

Of course things can be patched or disproven by users once the PS5 arrives, but for now this seems to be something to consider if looking to move on from PS4 to PS5 completely.

Edited by flashpool23