PS4 games on PS5: Your top questions answered

Ghost

58 minutes ago, Rexarma1 said:

But why. A lot of games will run smoother on the PS5. If a game supports variable framerate on the PS4 Pro then you can definietely expect 60FPS or maybe even in some cases 120FPS when your TV supports HDMI 2.1. Also a quieter gaming experience due to a better cooling system and faster loading times if you install the game on the SSD. It's completely nonsense to play a game with worse performance if you have the option to play the improved version of it.

And in terms of storage, if you really don't want to delete games all the time, you can still purchase an external HDD for your PS4 library and use the SSD solely for PS5 games.

I can understand the better performance and loading times, but not the quieter experience. I have a fat ps4 and it's been dead quiet for all of the years I've owned it, even in graphically intensive games

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

I can understand the better performance and loading times, but not the quieter experience. I have a fat ps4 and it's been dead quiet for all of the years I've owned it, even in graphically intensive games

Well, I definietely wouldn't call that quiet but yes, the fat PS4 is more silent than my PS4 Pro. The Pro sounds like a jet.

Xbox is so far ahead of PlayStation when it comes to backwards compatibility. 
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/xbox-series-backward-compatibility-detailed-auto-hdr-higher-frame-rates-and-enhanced-visuals-on-select-titles

This part specifically seems like a response to Sony's half-assed effort:

Backward compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X and S, running with the full power of the CPU, GPU, and SSD. No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the consoles for each and every backward compatible game.

So while only select PS4 titles running on PS5 are going to see improvements, every BC title running on Xbox Series X/S will benefit in some way. They even have the ability to add HDR into these old games at the hardware level and double frame rates from 30fps to 60fps. Oh, and original Xbox/Xbox 360 titles are not only playable, but they get a massive bump in resolution too. Really puts Sony to shame.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Xbox is so far ahead of PlayStation when it comes to backwards compatibility. 
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/xbox-series-backward-compatibility-detailed-auto-hdr-higher-frame-rates-and-enhanced-visuals-on-select-titles

This part specifically seems like a response to Sony's half-assed effort:

So while only select PS4 titles running on PS5 are going to see improvements, every BC title running on Xbox Series X/S will benefit in some way. They even have the ability to add HDR into these old games at the hardware level and double frame rates from 30fps to 60fps. Oh, and original Xbox/Xbox 360 titles are not only playable, but they get a massive bump in resolution too. Really puts Sony to shame.

Doesn't quite looks like the real-world experience of this Xbox BC is quite as perfect as it's being painted:

29 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Doesn't quite looks like the real-world experience of this Xbox BC is quite as perfect as it's being painted

In what way? I watched the video and they showed off the faster loading, the better resolution of DOOM Eternal, improved frame rate of Monster Hunter World, etc. You can also disable HDR if you don't think it's implemented very well on older titles. Seems like an improvement all-round.

3 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

In what way? I watched the video and they showed off the faster loading, the better resolution of DOOM Eternal, improved frame rate of Monster Hunter World, etc. You can also disable HDR if you don't think it's implemented very well on older titles. Seems like an improvement all-round.

Who's to say those improvements wont all be the same on Playstation 5? The improvements are still dependent on the title on the Xbox, just like it'll be on PS5.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 10:47 AM, Golem25 said:

Oh fugg, I have a Yakuza 0 save file with dozens of hours sunk into it; if that game won't support save file transfer to PS5 (I don't have a PS4, just the USB stick with my data from when I borrowed my brother's PS4), I am boned. That might actually make me sell on my PS5 to a friend and settle for a PS4 initially. Fingers crossed.

I imagine the ability to upload saves from a PS4 version to a PS5 version is at least partially dependent on whether they share a multiplatform Trophy list. Yakuza Like A Dragon won't support transfers, for one, so I imagine both have their own endemic list.

I thought you could play with your same save in boost mode as it’s the same PS4 SKU, it’s just ps5 upgrades that are treated differently by some devs. Do your usb save should be fine to continue.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Who's to say those improvements wont all be the same on Playstation 5? The improvements are still dependent on the title on the Xbox, just like it'll be on PS5.

It sounds like you will only see improvements to PS4 games when running on the PS5 by using the Game Boost and it's still not clear to me whether or not we'll be able to enable that ourselves yet. Either way, Microsoft are still way ahead when it comes to BC with their much larger library going back to the original Xbox, HDR implementation, and the ability for their BC team to double the frame rate without needing the developers themselves to create a patch.

• Like 1

Seems like the store is showing games that are playable on the PS5.  Was looking at LA Noire before just to check the price of it (and the file size) and it says that it's playable on the PS5.  But the warning seems to be that the PS5 may need to be updated to the latest version, and that some PS4 functions might be absent on the game while playing on the PS5.

Same thing was said when I got curious about Spyro too.  But no left label for the PS5 has been added to compatible games yet by the looks of it.  But at least games are showing off which ones are PS5 compatible now.

13 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Seems like the store is showing games that are playable on the PS5.  Was looking at LA Noire before just to check the price of it (and the file size) and it says that it's playable on the PS5.  But the warning seems to be that the PS5 may need to be updated to the latest version, and that some PS4 functions might be absent on the game while playing on the PS5.

Same thing was said when I got curious about Spyro too.  But no left label for the PS5 has been added to compatible games yet by the looks of it.  But at least games are showing off which ones are PS5 compatible now.

I wonder what some of these features on PS4 that may not be available on PS5 are.

Also when you look up the games that are on the list of non compatible Like Hitman Go, it says PS4 only.

6 hours ago, snakebit10 said:

I wonder what some of these features on PS4 that may not be available on PS5 are.

Also when you look up the games that are on the list of non compatible Like Hitman Go, it says PS4 only.

Yeah, I looked that up too out of curiosity to make sure that message was not just generic in general, but yeah, it said "PS4 only", meaning, they know what's on PS5 and what's not.

And yeah, I do wonder what some of these features are.  Hard to say which ones though, maybe the rumble feature? Or maybe the mic from the controller? Not sure what other features there would be that the PS4 uses that the PS5 wouldn't use off the top of my head.

One of the things I want to know is whether I can play one game on PS5 and play another at the same time on PS4. This will influence my decision on what version of PS5 I want to buy. For example, can I play FFXIV on PS5 and Dragon Quest Builders on my PS4 at the same time? Both titles are on my digital PS4 library.

Edited by CJ-Olly6

• 2 weeks later...

Sony's "backwards compatibility" seems like a confusing and convoluted mess. It's like they panicked and tried to add in the feature at the last moment after hearing about backwards compatibility on Xbox Series X & S.
I'm not convinced I can play my whole PS4 library on PS5 at all. Having to download and install a separate PS5 version of a physical game I own sounds pretty iffy. In worst case scenario I'd have to rebuy some of my games if they even are available for PS5. Also what's with the requirement for using a DualShock 4 for PS4 games or did I understand something wrong from Sony's marketing?

On 01/11/2020 at 8:44 AM, Eyjabria said:

Sony's "backwards compatibility" seems like a confusing and convoluted mess. It's like they panicked and tried to add in the feature at the last moment after hearing about backwards compatibility on Xbox Series X & S.
I'm not convinced I can play my whole PS4 library on PS5 at all. Having to download and install a separate PS5 version of a physical game I own sounds pretty iffy. In worst case scenario I'd have to rebuy some of my games if they even are available for PS5. Also what's with the requirement for using a DualShock 4 for PS4 games or did I understand something wrong from Sony's marketing?

Looking at Digital Foundry’s vid on PS5 BC and PS5 can give better performance on games than the Series X. After looking at that vid, Microsoft were literally overhyping their BC because Sony basically matches it. Yes some games might have more bugs and glitches like AC Syndicate and not have such a huge library as Microsoft or auto HDR, but LOL some games run better on PS5 than the Series X via BC such as Sekiro. Yes Sekiro might have checkerboard 1800p on PS5 but XSX does native 1800p and has 2 more TFLOPS of power. Well clearly those 2 TFLOPS of power aren’t enough to get on the same level of PS5 performance. 

On 13/10/2020 at 7:16 PM, Undead Wolf said:

It sounds like you will only see improvements to PS4 games when running on the PS5 by using the Game Boost and it's still not clear to me whether or not we'll be able to enable that ourselves yet. Either way, Microsoft are still way ahead when it comes to BC with their much larger library going back to the original Xbox, HDR implementation, and the ability for their BC team to double the frame rate without needing the developers themselves to create a patch.

Microsoft is literally not way ahead. Just look at Digital Foundry’s vid they just posted. Microsoft overhyped their BC hard since Sony has almost matched them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Noskillzpro407 said:

Looking at Digital Foundry’s vid on PS5 BC and PS5 can give better performance on games than the Series X. After looking at that vid, Microsoft were literally overhyping their BC because Sony basically matches it. Yes some games might have more bugs and glitches like AC Syndicate and not have such a huge library as Microsoft or auto HDR, but LOL some games run better on PS5 than the Series X via BC such as Sekiro. Yes Sekiro might have checkerboard 1800p on PS5 but XSX does native 1800p and has 2 more TFLOPS of power. Well clearly those 2 TFLOPS of power aren’t enough to get on the same level of PS5 performance. 

Microsoft is literally not way ahead. Just look at Digital Foundry’s vid they just posted. Microsoft overhyped their BC hard since Sony has almost matched them. 

I wasn't worried about performance. I was worried if I'd even have access to all the games I own on PS4 as they seem to require a separate PS5 version and some apparently may have to be purchased separately too as stated by Sony. 

Didn't watch the whole video but in some games I saw Xbox Series X keeping steady 60 fps when PS5 couldn't in their side by side comparison. Coming from PC there's nothing remarkable in 60 fps on old games scaled up to higher resolutions. PS5 can only run PS4 games if I understood things correctly while Xbox Series X BC handles several generations of Xbox games, so in that aspect Microsoft is way ahead of Sony. 

I'm not planning on buying a PS5 in a few years (or maybe ever, if no exclusives of interest come up) so I'll have plenty of time to see how the BC actually works for more niche games. I guess some may not be available at all but I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

47 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

I wasn't worried about performance. I was worried if I'd even have access to all the games I own on PS4 as they seem to require a separate PS5 version and some apparently may have to be purchased separately too as stated by Sony. 

Didn't watch the whole video but in some games I saw Xbox Series X keeping steady 60 fps when PS5 couldn't in their side by side comparison. Coming from PC there's nothing remarkable in 60 fps on old games scaled up to higher resolutions. PS5 can only run PS4 games if I understood things correctly while Xbox Series X BC handles several generations of Xbox games, so in that aspect Microsoft is way ahead of Sony. 

I'm not planning on buying a PS5 in a few years (or maybe ever, if no exclusives of interest come up) so I'll have plenty of time to see how the BC actually works for more niche games. I guess some may not be available at all but I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Lol the PS5 is the one which ends up with better performance on games than XSX at least in the videos. The only game they showed which ran worse on PS5 than XSX was AC Unity. Hitman, Sekiro and The Evil Within 2 which had comparisons for ran at locked 60 on PS5 whereas that wasn’t the case with XSX. Don’t know which vid you were watching. Sony put out a list of games which don’t work on PS5 and that list is like 10 games. Also Microsoft is not way ahead. Can the XSX run all OG Xbox and Xbox 360 games? No it can’t. And even if they are ahead of Sony in this department, it is the wrong department to be ahead in since most people buy a new console for NEW GAMES. If backwards compatibility were a big deal, then the Switch and PS4 wouldn’t have destroyed the Xbox One. 

18 minutes ago, Noskillzpro407 said:

Lol the PS5 is the one which ends up with better performance on games than XSX at least in the videos. The only game they showed which ran worse on PS5 than XSX was AC Unity. Hitman, Sekiro and The Evil Within 2 which had comparisons for ran at locked 60 on PS5 whereas that wasn’t the case with XSX. Don’t know which vid you were watching. Sony put out a list of games which don’t work on PS5 and that list is like 10 games. Also Microsoft is not way ahead. Can the XSX run all OG Xbox and Xbox 360 games? No it can’t. And even if they are ahead of Sony in this department, it is the wrong department to be ahead in since most people buy a new console for NEW GAMES. If backwards compatibility were a big deal, then the Switch and PS4 wouldn’t have destroyed the Xbox One. 

Your arguments still didn't really address any of my concerns like PS4 games that require a separate PS5 version possibly not being available for me free of charge despite owning the game on PS4. People also own physical and digital games that have been pulled from PS Store, and I really doubt those are available on PS5. 

You can keep going on about the performance, I'll just stick with my high end PC. :wave:

I wonder, is anyone making a comprehensible list of games with improved framerates on the ps5?

I see Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima went ahead and uncapped the framerates in a recent patch and are now running on a smooth 60 fps. God of War on the other hand already had an uncapped framerate on performance mode on the Pro but it didn't quite reach a stable 60, which it will now be able to do, however the game runs on a lower resolution in this mode.

This is all nice and a reason, more than ever, for us to be able to see what resolution the game is running on, and the framerate as well. It would make it much it to compile this information without resorting to your DF videos.