The_Mighty_Ducks

PlayStation's new censorship making you move away from the brand?

163 posts in this topic

If people need video games to get off then that’s their problem.
 

It’s not an issue when you don’t make it one. I could care less about them censoring certain aspects of games. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sony has done some stupid shit in recent years that makes me question whether I will continue to support them well into the PS5 generation. 
 

I’ve noticed some Japanese games getting a Steam, Switch and Xbox release, but nothing regarding a release to Sony. 
 

I wonder if them moving base to California has something to do with their stance on censorship. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no desire to support censorship, but unfortunately viable options aren't there. For now I avoid buying any game that has been censored.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

If people need video games to get off then that’s their problem.
 

It’s not an issue when you don’t make it one. I could care less about them censoring certain aspects of games. 

They're also not letting certain japanese games on the platform when other platforms are getting it (Steam, Xbox and Switch) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No.

 

If you want to see tits or something,  get a girlfriend or wife or boyfriend, or watch porn. 

Edited by LegacyJKO09
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a unique position on this, I think. As an American with the set-in-stone rights to freedom of speech, religion, and expression, I am wholly against censorship of most kinds (excluding the simple "bleeping" out of curse words and blurring of innocent people's faces in news reports about crime on television, etc). Therefore, I'd say that if these anime games are rated M or 18 or whatever adult rating your country uses, they should not be censored. However, I can also see it from the other perspective because (and this is just my opinion) anime characters, to me, always appear underage regardless of whether they are or not simply because of the art style. This could possibly cause controversy with some people over what is shown for these types of characters. As far as whether or not I would switch from Sony over it, I would say no, but that's because it doesn't affect me, as I don't play sexually explicit games to begin with, being a Christian. I think the only one with nudity that I have ever played was Dante's Inferno for the PS3 and I personally think that it could have done without the nudity and still have been just fine, even for the circle of lust. There were actually some scenes outside of Hell's depths where you could tell that the developers added nudity simply because they wanted to, as it was completely unnecessary to illustrate the point they were trying to make.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i had generalized anxiety all my life, i freaked-out over nothing before. so such small thing is not worth the stress on my mind.  

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, M1138147 said:

i had generalized anxiety all my life

*raises hand* ✋ You're not alone. ♥️

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came to the conclusion about this matter: these games suck ass. I can live without them. So I'm stuck here. I'll have a powerful PC eventually and I'll spend 20 minutes playing this shit game and think "fuck, I was right".

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. I don't tend to play the games that are affected by this censorship, not really into all those anime games or whatever they are. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't really care as this affects, what, roughly 1.7% of what I play? What I don't understand why Japan loses their shit when violence is afoot (especially considering some of the most disturbing examples I've ever seen come from there), but children and/or child-like characters can be sexualized without anyone batting an eye (except the problematically youthful characters referred to).

 

Their moral and ethical standards seem wildly inconsistent and illogical, and that's being civil about things.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like my games to be censored, developers should be able to create the game they envision freely without big daddy (Sony) overlooking their shoulder every second.

 

These days all we think about censorship is titties or butts getting covered, but I still remember when blood was forced to turn to green or black, humans replaced by robots because you cant have games shooting people...religious concepts removed because you know, christianity is everything or you can't have certain names for certain characters. Times sure has changed.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. Like this is a no-brainer.  No. No. And, No.  I really give a flying #*(* about censorship and I'm mad at myself for even responding to this. :rolleyes:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

They're also not letting certain japanese games on the platform when other platforms are getting it (Steam, Xbox and Switch) 


Maybe Sony just doesn’t want to taint the market with games tailored towards horny people. I wouldn’t know though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kristen Danielle said:

I have a unique position on this, I think. As an American with the set-in-stone rights to freedom of speech, religion, and expression, I am wholly against censorship of most kinds (excluding the simple "bleeping" out of curse words and blurring of innocent people's faces in news reports about crime on television, etc). Therefore, I'd say that if these anime games are rated M or 18 or whatever adult rating your country uses, they should not be censored. However, I can also see it from the other perspective because (and this is just my opinion) anime characters, to me, always appear underage regardless of whether they are or not simply because of the art style. This could possibly cause controversy with some people over what is shown for these types of characters. As far as whether or not I would switch from Sony over it, I would say no, but that's because it doesn't affect me, as I don't play sexually explicit games to begin with, being a Christian. I think the only one with nudity that I have ever played was Dante's Inferno for the PS3 and I personally think that it could have done without the nudity and still have been just fine, even for the circle of lust. There were actually some scenes outside of Hell's depths where you could tell that the developers added nudity simply because they wanted to, as it was completely unnecessary to illustrate the point they were trying to make.

 

I find myself agreeing quite a bit. I'm all for those freedoms, and not a fan of censorship. Having said that, censorship is not driving me to switch from Sony. Sexually explicit content like nudity is not something I see as necessary. I'm just indifferent to it. I can understand the censorship on anime game characters, where in some cases a 32 year old can pass for 17. Witcher 3 and the Mass Effects would be fine with or without nudity/sexual content. Conversations with other characters, karma (something you do or say having an effect on later events), gambling, combat, and violence are the most important parts. I don't ever turn on any of the censorship options in a game though. Should a game ever truly bother me, I would just skip it and ignore it.

 

As for TV, bleeping out the curse words doesn't turn me off from watching Match Game on ABC. It's better to have the bleeping than to not have the show at all. Sometimes it's still easy to figure out what a celebrity guest said anyway, especially if the judges count it as correct. OTOH The Walking Dead, being a zombie apocalypse show, would lose a lot if AMC were forced to censor the violence.

 

If Sony were to order the removal of blood and gibs from Serious Sam 4 when it comes out next year on PS4 (and hopefully PS5!) then that would be more of a problem. Thankfully I can't see that happening, since Doom Eternal's violence isn't censored. Just a "what if".

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as i know its mostly covering up clevage or making a skirt alittle longer. I know back in the day the ps2 version of lesuire suit larry magna cum laude was really censored so i played it on xbox. If i feel i the censorship is rediculous ill skip the game. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When they added loot boxes, I did not stand up because I love trophies too much.

When they added microtransactions, I did not stand up because I love trophies too much.

When they made microtransactions pay to win, I did not stand up because I love trophies too much.

When they removed games from the store without any warning, I did not stand up because I love my trophies too much.

When they told me about excessive crunch in the gaming industry, I did not stand up because I love my trophies too much.

When they dropped Vita support faster than the console was released, I did not stand up because I love my trophies too much.

When they stopped support of a game I bought after only a couple of weeks, I did not stand up because I love my trophies too much.

When they made playing online a paid service without a valid reason other than more profit, I did not stand up because I love my trophies too much.

When they were so negligent in regards to PSN security that it disrupted online play for weeks on end, I did not stand up because I love my trophies too much.

 

When they covered up some seemingly underage titty in a handful of games, I... had a good word with myself to sort my fucking priorities out.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, of course not.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even remotely.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.