PlayStation's new censorship making you move away from the brand?

The_Mighty_Ducks

I don’t exclusively game on Sony and often look at Nintendo’s offerings of the same titles anyway when deciding which versions to purchase. Less about censored or not, more about the portability factor when it comes to Switch. I’ll gladly take the portability factor over trophies in most games. With the Remote Play experience much improved over the years, this becomes less of an issue. 

When it comes to censorship, I really don’t like when developers fold and compromise on something, just to release it to make money anyway. If they really felt their view was compromised, stand up and fight it. Releasing two versions, one compromised and one not, signals to me that they didn’t care enough about their vision to ensure it was released only as intended.

The ratings boards have already impacted game creation over the decades. They were the first to start making developers shape their products to fit the ratings to be released. Their decisions have largely been arbitrary and even changing over the years. Sesame Street episodes considered safe for Everyone in the early seasons were re-rated only safe for Teens and above when they were packaged to be released for DVDs later on. 

This is how the entertainment industry has always worked. The platform holders make the calls on what they’ll host. As a creator, you decide if you want access to their platform and if your content needs to be compromised to do it, you decide to compromise or you find another platform. Compromising and releasing your content signals you endorse the changes. 

Cost is not a barrier to entry to any platform these days, especially in video games. If a developer believes in their uncompromised content, then find the platform that’ll host it and it will be sought out. Stand your ground and you will find support.

So no, this issue isn’t driving me to another platform because I’m not exclusively on one to begin with. But can it divert my money from one platform to another? Yes, if a developer makes that my only choice. For many of you, they already do that with trophies.

• Like 2

Well, yeah, I don't like Sony. Really disliked the vita and the PS4 and not a big fan of their brand, marketing or company politics. The only reason I will stay loyal is that I'm a sucker for trophies. Yes, I do realize it's a very stupid reason to keep buying their products but I enjoy trophy hunting too much to give it up now. If not for trophies there is no way I would ever buy another Sony console again. 

It’s interesting that most people here seem to think that it’s almost entirely sexual content that is being censored yet having a look through the list it’s about 60% for sexual content (and not all of it is visual, some sexual language is toned down as well) and 40% for violent content. But I guess that’s the world we live in. Violence is fine and normal but nudity, won’t someone please think of the children.

It is not bad enough to make me move away from the brand, but it definitely costs them a lot of money they otherwise would have gotten from me had they not been censorship practicing shits. If a game is compromised by censorship, the chance of me paying for it go way down. I skipped entire series, like Wolfenstein, due to it being censored to shit in Germany, I did not pay for censored games like Conan Exiles (game had to be free on psplus when I happend to have it active for me to play it) because they were censored in some way. I will probably not buy Cyberpunk on the PS4 because I suspect it to get censored so I will get it on Pc instead if I decide to buy it. I am an adult and I refuse to be told what I can and can't handle to see, if there is an uncensored version on another platform I will get that instead, no matter whether I am actually interested in what was cut out. If it is a playstation exclusive I know they censored, I will likely not buy it at all.

I care little about censorship when it comes to console choice. I had issues when I played on Xbox and would never go back. But I will admit I’m more inclined to purchase digitally from a region store that doesn’t censor the game.

Sometimes the censoring makes little to no sense either. You have games like Stick of Truth that is censored in the EU because a cartoon character gets probed by aliens, but then Conan Exiles has full nudity. I know that technically the censorship in SoT wasn’t down to Sony, but it still makes little sense from any standpoint.

I have little interest in using hand cursors to fondle an anime characters breasts, but if that is part of the gameplay I would prefer it remain in, so I can experience the game how it was intended.

If you start picking and choosing what you censor, then you’re just injecting your own bias into games.

Gratuitous violence and foul language is ok, as long as cleavage is not showing. 

Or nudity is ok as long as nobody says any naughty words.

It is just stupidity, if you feel the need so desperately to interfere, give us the option. Like in a few of the CoD games that asked if you wanted the graphic content. Leave it all in, and give us the option to decide.

Edited by GizMo_The_Great

Sony has double standards when it comes to censorship. Most games that are censored are Japanese games. The most recent example of double standard is The Last of Part 2 where the sex scene was not censored because the amount of backlash that it would generate would have been huge. Also I am pretty damn sure Cyberpunk 2077 won’t have any censorship. Gta 5 is another game which is not censored. 

27 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

It is not bad enough to make me move away from the brand, but it definitely costs them a lot of money they otherwise would have gotten from me had they not been censorship practicing shits. If a game is compromised by censorship, the chance of me paying for it go way down. I skipped entire series, like Wolfenstein, due to it being censored to shit in Germany, I did not pay for censored games like Conan Exiles (game had to be free on psplus when I happend to have it active for me to play it) because they were censored in some way. I will probably not buy Cyberpunk on the PS4 because I suspect it to get censored so I will get it on Pc instead if I decide to buy it. I am an adult and I refuse to be told what I can and can't handle to see, if there is an uncensored version on another platform I will get that instead, no matter whether I am actually interested in what was cut out. If it is a playstation exclusive I know they censored, I will likely not buy it at all.

No Cyberpunk is not going to be censored. Have you forgotten the Last of Us 2 sex scene? Also Wolfenstein was censored due to German laws not allowing Swastika symbols. Sony can’t do anything there. 

6 minutes ago, Noskillzpro407 said:

Sony has double standards when it comes to censorship. Most games that are censored are Japanese games. The most recent example of double standard is The Last of Part 2 where the sex scene was not censored because the amount of backlash that it would generate would have been huge. Also I am pretty damn sure Cyberpunk 2077 won’t have any censorship. Gta 5 is another game which is not censored. 

As I said earlier sometimes the censorship doesn’t make any sense. But when it comes to the majority of these Japanese games getting censored I can understand the reasoning to some extent. It’s less about nudity and more about the context. A sex scene is fine, but objectification of female characters would be the main issue. You do find that a lot of the censored Japanese games do have some form of objectification towards female characters. Be it the almost non-existent clothing, the ability to strip them, or the sections where you simply have to grope them.

53 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

It’s interesting that most people here seem to think that it’s almost entirely sexual content that is being censored yet having a look through the list it’s about 60% for sexual content (and not all of it is visual, some sexual language is toned down as well) and 40% for violent content. But I guess that’s the world we live in. Violence is fine and normal but nudity, won’t someone please think of the children.

Violence is being censored? Where? Games like Tlou2 are a gore fest straight out of a snuff film. I can't imagine what kind of violence this game would need to get censored for it.

I was pushed towards PlayStation because Xbox was an all-round inferior platform. It still is, so no, I'm not going back to maining an inferior platform because some games I'd have never played get changed. 

Also censorship has nothing to do with "SJW" (an utterly meaningless acronym now that teenage edgelords and uneducated neocons have driven it into the ground)

Edited by Stan Lee
  • Like 1

Censorship is never going to make me change what system I buy.  I buy Playstation systems because they have games I want to play that I can't get on Steam.  I don't buy Xbox and Nintendo because they don't.  If those facts change, then I'll consider buying an Xbox or Switch or not buying a Playstation.  Buying PC games is pretty much a given, I'll always own a computer and have a Steam account.

That being said, I've always found censorship of sexual content to be incredibly dumb.  I see a naked human body every day when I shower and change my clothes.  Most of us will see other naked people in their lifetimes as well.  Very few people will see violence outside of TV, movies and games, so why is violence so acceptable but not something that is far more natural and a part of our lives not?  Morality regarding nudity and sex just never has made sense to me and neither has this acceptance of violent content.

2 minutes ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Violence is being censored? Where? Games like Tlou2 are a gore fest straight out of a snuff film. I can't imagine what kind of violence this game would need to get censored for it.

Violence was censored more in the past than it is now, but it definitely has happened before.  Most commonly blood is removed from violent scenes to keep a game at a T rating instead of an M rating since the presence of a lot of blood is very commonly what bumps the game up to M.  If a dev is aiming for the game to be M rated, they won't cut any violence out.

Boycotting a complete system based on censorship in a video game is silly. Especially when all systems are doing it in their own way anyway.

Best to just stop playing games altogether if it matters that much, censorship is everywhere so probably best to stop watching TV, listening to the radio... living...

Edited by Japanime_Gamer
I censored my reply, or did i? :)
  • Like 4

Censorship is decided on a region basis, and it’s not exclusive to a platform.

The brand is mostly deciding what would fit the most on a certain region to sell better (or abiding the laws in some regions). If you want to blame someone, then you should blame either the society (in wich case, you have to accept not everybody is going to think like you) or dictatorial governments.

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Sesame Street episodes considered safe for Everyone in the early seasons were re-rated only safe for Teens and above when they were packaged to be released for DVDs later on.

That's because Sesame Street had practices that people today would regard as offensive and often unacceptable. Shows a decade earlier in the so called 'golden era' (which it really wasn't) had grown ups smoking cigarettes, most of everybody smoked and you had smoking commercials which were eventually banned because they help contribute to a decline in one's health.

Censorship in America has a long and storied history. The covering of boobs and filtering sexual content has always been a thing in the United States, we have enough prudes to have this still be a thing even after all this time. I just don't have to agree with them, because their idea of what should be censored is frankly stupid.

I find much of it to be silly to be honest. Let grown up adults watch what they want. Let them play anime games that have girls showing off tits and asses. How Sony has handled its censoring when Xbox, Steam and Switch have allowed certain games to be on their platforms speaks a lot in regards to what Sony has been doing.

Not a big deal if you're not into anime stuff, but for those who are this is a bit frustrating.

• Like 4