PlayStation's new censorship making you move away from the brand?

The_Mighty_Ducks

On 17/10/2020 at 7:42 PM, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

An adult will admit when he or she is wrong and I was wrong and did not know any of that. I honestly thought it was the move to Cali cause of all the Western ideals that they have been changing to. But didn't copy and paste other peoples opinions. 

But I am not wrong on the Playstation is making a mistake part.

Yet you aren’t wrong. Sony have a new Globalisation policy, which started coming into effect in 2018. The fact the headquarters moved there 2 years early in anticipation of this is not relevant really, these things take many years to reorganise. The fact is Japanese devs now need to kneel to the chaps in the California office who have been put in charge of globalised censorship policy; they must converse with them in English, provide all documentation in English, and work to the US timezone. There was no need to change anything.

I don't like the way Sony is handling the censor, I think it's kinda dumb when both Switch and Xbox are all fine with it, however I definitely won't buy another console just because of some censor, I'll just play on the pc if they decided to censor too badly on the Sony consoles.

• Like 1

i dont know what censoring specifically your talking about but since im in america most of our stuff hasnt been censored in the past unlike places like germany. when i think of battle games, germany for years only got a nerfed version of the game compared to everyone else and that sucks because little details they arent experiencing the same as everyone else. my family is from poland, refugees of ww2 and im not going to sit here and cry over a nazi flag in a game. it actually interests me to learn more about it. and even if people like more violence or more titties then let them. our freedom everywhere is being silenced everyday on social media and in public. were living in cancel culture times. battlefield is one of my favorite games. when they did the stuff with making the girls a main point of the game or far cry with their double standard cover, i didnt buy the game. i figured id wait a year until it was on sale when they would make barely any money off me. my nephew ended up getting me the game so that never happened but censorship is annoying when they try to push politics on us. if its less titties meh i can see people not wanting their children seeing it. to me id let my kid sneak peak a titty, its no big deal. its not like they cant find worse on the internet in 5 seconds. it wont make me switch to xbox simply because i always hated their controllers. xbox hasnt really made a console that was so much better that it would make me switch they always been kinda on the same level. i do think xbox has sharper graphics. and playing your own background music on the other xbox was cool and i wish sony used that feature. they did it a little bit on ps3 with a few digital games. but since sony is a music company as well they put the lid on that feature.

Have they continued to censor games beside Devil May Cry 5?  

I wouldn't give Xbox another dollar with their current business strategy.  (Over 300,000 GamerScore on Xbox). Putting up this cloak of being customer friendly, despite their DRM vision from 2013 still being very much in tact just repackaged as gamepASS & XCloud.  The dagger, being you rely on a trillion dollar company.  

Microsoft has shown over the past 20 years that for the most part they can not develop their own studios & games.  I believe Forza is their only true home grown IP. They bought and nearly ruined Halo, Gears, & Rare, and now Zenimax is under their umbrella.

The Zenimax purchase was a tactical maneuver in order to help get onto PS, & Nintendo platforms.  They needed undeniable IP's.  Fallout, & Elder Scrolls are nearly undeniable.  

Censorship is ridiculous for sure.  But I will gladly accept less adult themes then support one of the most greedy companies in the business, that somehow has a good reputation right now.  Despite supporting Loot Boxes and Micro-transactions in all their 1st party games.  

Edited by NxtDoc
Spell check
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, melodicmizery said:

i dont know what censoring specifically your talking about but since im in america most of our stuff hasnt been censored in the past

Hate to break it to you, but being in America doesn't mean stuff isn't being censored.  Censorship in video games has been happening for as long as video games have had graphics and text that could be deemed offensive.  Censorship of anime was also very prevalent in the 90s and there is also plenty of history for censoring or banning books and also things in TV shows and music.  Bleeping out swear words is one very common example that happens in TV and radio.  The only advantage we have in America is that our government doesn't make laws requiring censorship and this is all done by choice by the companies providing the content for the sake of profit.

Probably one of the most famous examples of censorship in a US localization is Final Fantasy IV (when it was released in the US as Final Fantasy II).  Did you know the infamous "You spoony bard!" line is actually censorship?  The actual line would have translated to something more like "you bastard!" but since that was deemed to be inappropriate for children it was censored to the spoony bard line.  Before the ratings system came into being, censorship was very common because video games were considered to be for children and thus could not contain swear words or other content not appropriate for children.  Nintendo was definitely one of the worst offenders there, mostly because they pushed the ideal that video games were for children.  Also in the 90s censorship of anime was very common, especially if the anime aired on television.  And then in TV and music there was the bleeping out of swear words thing that I mentioned above.  It's also a fact that some schools will only use censored versions of books in their curriculum.  Censorship has a long history and is present in every country, even the US.  Many people are just not aware of this fact because they aren't familiar with the original version to know that censorship exists.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Faaip de Oiad said:

Yup, definitely.

I've already sold off my PS4 plus all but two games and switched entirely to Xbox One X (you can stalk me here). It currently feels like 2006 all over again. Sony emerging victorious and overly dominant from the waning console generation and diving right into mistakes, dumb decisions and poor marketing. Microsoft, on the other hand, is doing literally everything to please the players. Sony's pathetic censorship is only the recent of many mistakes this company made in the past 18 months. For me as a German player it's especially frustrating. While games are finally uncut in terms of violence and Nazi symbols (nobody cares about nudity here), Sony as the market leader is starting to ruin things again. Fuck right off!

good....... bye

————-

overall this has to be one of the most pointless and dumbest threads I’ve read in a long time 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Solid-Fisch said:

The new option to record/get recorded while speaking in parties is indeed a massive way of censorship because you could get reported anytime by anyone just for language. Orwell would just shrug his shoulders and act like "I told you"...

I think 1984 should be required reading for all kids going into high school and college. It's probably one of my favorite books of all time, and it predicted a lot of things going on today.

Big Brother is watching. If you don't think Google is invading your privacy and keeping track of every little thing you do, you are completely delusional, because that is exactly what they're doing, and have been doing for a long time.

5 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Yet you aren’t wrong. Sony have a new Globalisation policy, which started coming into effect in 2018. The fact the headquarters moved there 2 years early in anticipation of this is not relevant really, these things take many years to reorganise. The fact is Japanese devs now need to kneel to the chaps in the California office who have been put in charge of globalised censorship policy; they must converse with them in English, provide all documentation in English, and work to the US timezone. There was no need to change anything.

Yeah, this was right when Sony put their foot down on Japanese developers making games that reveal scantily clad anime women showing off tittles and showcasing sexual innuendo. Disgaea 6 isn't even available on the PS4, so why are they doing this? Because a little kid might get his hands on a game that has a lot of sexual content?

It's fucking stupid. I'm 32 years old, I'm a grown ass adult and I live on my own. Let me pick what I want to play, don't censor shit just because a minority of people out there might get offended.

I absolutely despise this kind of censorship. All you're doing is discouraging people, who then move to other platforms that don't have said censorship policies in place.

3 hours ago, Ninjise said:

I don't like the way Sony is handling the censor, I think it's kinda dumb when both Switch and Xbox are all fine with it, however I definitely won't buy another console just because of some censor, I'll just play on the pc if they decided to censor too badly on the Sony consoles.

Yeah it's stupid. I got plenty of stuff on the PC should Sony really go south in the next couple years, so I have a good alternative.

2 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

I wouldn't give Xbox another dollar with their current business strategy.  (Over 300,000 GamerScore on Xbox). Putting up this cloak of being customer friendly, despite their DRM vision from 2013 still being very much in tact just repackaged as gamepASS & XCloud.  The dagger, being you rely on a trillion dollar company.  

Microsoft has shown over the past 20 years that for the most part they can not develop their own studios & games.  I believe Forza is their only true home grown IP. They bought and nearly ruined Halo, Gears, & Rare, and now Zenimax is under their umbrella.

The Zenimax purchase was a tactical maneuver in order to help get onto PS, & Nintendo platforms.  They needed undeniable IP's.  Fallout, & Elder Scrolls are nearly undeniable.  

Censorship is ridiculous for sure.  But I will gladly accept less adult themes then support one of the most greedy companies in the business, that somehow has a good reputation right now.  Despite supporting Loot Boxes and Micro-transactions in all their 1st party games.  

That's what got the Xbox One under hot water to begin with. Their latest exclusives were an absolute joke. Halo and Gears of War are shells of their former selves, and I can definitely admit they were worthwhile IPs.

Bethesda has unfortunately been under a lot of criticism with the way they treated Fallout 76. However in the past decade I found nearly all of their games to be broken and full of bugs and glitches. None of their games were ever optimized at release, there was always some technical issue. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim didn't exactly run all that well on the Xbox 360, I'm glad it got a much needed remaster, I hear it runs far better on the newer platforms. Now Bethesda is digging a grave for Elder Scrolls, and I don't need to mention Fallout, you guys all know what has happened with that franchise.

I don't like loot boxes and micro-transactions. Paying actual money to speed things up shouldn't be a thing to begin with, but these businesses have taken full advantage and now it's easily possible to throw away a thousand dollars on NBA 2K21, just because the option is there.

56 minutes ago, Faaip de Oiad said:

Yup, definitely.

I've already sold off my PS4 plus all but two games and switched entirely to Xbox One X (you can stalk me here). It currently feels like 2006 all over again. Sony emerging victorious and overly dominant from the waning console generation and diving right into mistakes, dumb decisions and poor marketing. Microsoft, on the other hand, is doing literally everything to please the players. Sony's pathetic censorship is only the recent of many mistakes this company made in the past 18 months. For me as a German player it's especially frustrating. While games are finally uncut in terms of violence and Nazi symbols (nobody cares about nudity here), Sony as the market leader is starting to ruin things again. Fuck right off!

I can't say I blame you, but I got too much stuff on the PS4 to just quit.

It's funny how back in 2011 Sony was practically begging people to stick with them after the May 2011 PSN shutdown practically exposed their entire network. As a result they issued people a few "free" games, which I felt was a good thing. Sony was going up against the Xbox 360, and they responded by making awesome IPs like Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet, while continuing with God of War and Ratchet and Clank.

I haven't found a worthwhile new IP that they made in the past few years, I think Horizon Zero Dawn is really the only new one Sony has bothered to come out with. Most of everything else is just a continuation of what started in the last gen, Naughty Dog didn't make a single new IP in the PS4 generation. Let that sink in.

It's sort of comparable with Rockstar Games, how awesome they used to be back in the PS2 - PS3 generation. They let their greed from Grand Theft Auto Online get to them, and the only game I've seen from them in recent years is Red Dead Redemption 2.

I understand games cost a lot more to make now than they did 10 - 12 years ago. But the practices Sony has maintained over the past couple years or so along with their lack of care for coming up with new IPs is a killer.

They're on top of the mountain and they're playing the safe route, without taking risks and really bothering to come up with new innovative content. They changed the trophy system, changed the store to suit the new PS5 console, and censoring Japanese games that so much as show a few anime girls in tits and bikinis.

Perhaps it does feel like 2006 all over again.

• Like 2

Hyperbolic rants about justice warriors and the like is probably the fastest way to lose my attention, but I'll answer the thread in good faith anyway.

I'm honestly not too familiar with the controversy. The only censoring I'm aware of is the DMC 5 thing, which seems pretty silly in the context of a bloody, M-rated game. Ultimately, they can do as they wish with their platform, but it feels like they're perpetuating the backwards morality of some in the US: horrendous violence okay, sex bad.

In a general sense, though, would some green blood and conservative costumes be enough for me to abandon a console brand? No, although I have plenty of other reasons to dislike Sony.

Censored versions i look into beforehand &take on as a case by case. But il buy it use regardless because it's censored.

Doesn't matter what counsel. 

Megumi soul for ps3 for exp toke the washing mini game. But left the perks for it in. So i got a used copy and just looked up the pics.

But Omega Labyrinth na. Cuz thats a main part of the game well everything is titty based. Jokes, dialogue, mechanics. They had to stip out chucks and rebalance the whole game. So its not the same thing. So skip it.

I will however buy day 1 if they are fully intact. Or import them if in english somewhere else 

Edited by Zid960
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Faaip de Oiad said:

Yup, definitely.

Wow... so I was with PS from the beginning with the PlayStation but I left PS in 2006 after Sony's arrogance after the success of the PS2, compiled with the huge price tag (I will admit, the PS3 was worth the price, I couldn't afford it back then) and that fricken Gears of War trailer, I moved onto the Xbox 360.  But I eventually got the PS3 in early 2009.  Anyways, Sony fought hard with the PS3, released some amazing games.  And then tried to sell me a PS4 with Knack, and Killzone.  Nope, got the Xbox One 1st for Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, and Killer Instinct. I ultimately regretted it.  (All 3rd party deals by the way).  

Microsoft does not care about gaming or games....they just want your money for minimal effort.  Think about it, they are releasing a next generation console with no games.  Regularly release buggy, broken games while fully supporting predatory Micro-transactions in all their 1st Party games.  Controllers while comfortable are cheaply made, and they want you to subscribe to several different subscriptions to play games.  

Yeah, Microsoft has been firing on all cylinders all right.  But you already dove right in.  I see your in your honeymoon phase with the XB1X, Good luck with that.  You will see after a couple years, like I did that it was a huge mistake.  

If you doubt me, my GamerTag is NxtDutch on TrueAchievements

Edited by NxtDoc
Add info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

You will see after a couple years, like I did that it was a huge mistake.

I've been playing video games for 30 years now and like in all generations since the fourth one, I will end up owning all systems at one point. Besides, I did play on PS4 for five years and my step towards Xbox was because Sony failed to provide good exclusive racing games. Driveclub was pretty mediocre and Gran Turismo hasn't managed to keep up with Forza for over a decade now.

The rest of your post is not worth getting into. Just some cringy fanboy crap. Grow up, mate. I really mean that.

Hugs and kisses,

Yours truly

7 hours ago, Faaip de Oiad said:

I've been playing video games for 30 years now and like in all generations since the fourth one, I will end up owning all systems at one point. Besides, I did play on PS4 for five years and my step towards Xbox was because Sony failed to provide good exclusive racing games. Driveclub was pretty mediocre and Gran Turismo hasn't managed to keep up with Forza for over a decade now.

The rest of your post is not worth getting into. Just some cringy fanboy crap. Grow up, mate. I really mean that.

Hugs and kisses,

Yours truly

I agree about Forza, beside the loot box cards that used to be in it. 

Fan boy crap.  My Xbox account dwarfs my PS.  But yup.  Fan boy 

It is like these companies don't have the ability to learn from the past. PS2 was so successful that Sony grew overconfident and totally botched the PS3 launch and it took them an entire generation to catch up to the 360. Microsoft got cocky and the One X never even had a shot. Now I see Sony making decisions over the past couple of years (including censorship) that indicate the pattern could repeat.  It isn't rocket science. Making pro consumer choices makes consumers happy while restricting choices through censorship policies, removing platforms on the web/mobile store, etc. do not.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

... and you're surprised? They ruined the world, all we can do is to shut the f**k up.

COVID-19 has no boundaries.

14 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

Welcome to the digital age. You must be new here.

No @Faaip de Oiad has been here a long while. Admittedly @Faaip de Oiad I preferred the name Santa_In_Sandals a lot more but whatever.

13 hours ago, awf9495 said:

It is like these companies don't have the ability to learn from the past. PS2 was so successful that Sony grew overconfident and totally botched the PS3 launch and it took them an entire generation to catch up to the 360. Microsoft got cocky and the One X never even had a shot. Now I see Sony making decisions over the past couple of years (including censorship) that indicate the pattern could repeat.  It isn't rocket science. Making pro consumer choices makes consumers happy while restricting choices through censorship policies, removing platforms on the web/mobile store, etc. do not.

Exactly.

Their censorship policies, removing PS3/Vita games and PS4 themes/avatars on the web/mobile stores, and changing the trophy system that was just needless padding, all stupid decisions.

4 minutes ago, Spaz said:

No @Faaip de Oiad has been here a long while. Admittedly @Faaip de Oiad I preferred the name Santa_In_Sandals a lot more but whatever.

I've created around 160 PSN accounts since 2008, so names don't stick in my case.

This might be the first time for me considering boycotting a company for their repulsive policies. I've been a more or less loyal PlayStation user since the original console first hit shelves in 1995. But this time I'm honestly disgusted. I already had a bad feeling when Shawn Layden was more or less mobbed out of the company by Jim Ryan. But I couldn't imagine such a downfall.

Nope not at all. Got a 10 year account, don't care about the politics, don't even know what SJW means, got more important real life problems to care about, just want to switch off at night from the outside world and enjoy the many games I have.

The only thing that bothers me are microtransactions, pay to win, gambling mechanics and overpriced DLCs. They take the enjoyment away for me as they impact gameplay and its the gameplay that bothers me. I also don't like the direction the industry is desperate to take us in, paying a monthly fee, like Netflix and never owning anything.

I've yet to see anything that people have listed as censored that will make me move, to me, its so trivial.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

I've yet to see anything that people have listed as censored that will make me move, to me, its so trivial.

Which was my earlier point in this topic too. In the light of all the shit in the gaming industry and Sony in particular: if the censoring of some (alledgedly underage) titty is the hill you want to die on, then you probably need to sort yourself out for a bit.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

48 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

The only thing that bothers me are microtransactions, pay to win, gambling mechanics and overpriced DLCs. They take the enjoyment away for me as they impact gameplay and its the gameplay that bothers me. I also don't like the direction the industry is desperate to take us in, paying a monthly fee, like Netflix and never owning anything.

This isn't new, all this has been going on for at least 10 years. I still remember when Mass Effect 3 came out and people were bitching about the ending, because believe me if you played through that game that ending was a colossal pile of shit. Then Bioware came out and tried to tell their fans that they were going to try to tweak the ending a bit to make it better. But meanwhile, there was DLC technically on the disk, but you had to pay for it. That pissed me the fuck off.

You can just look at NBA 2K21 to see it is rife full of microtransactions and pay to win. Even Tekken 7, which I admittedly enjoyed, has a thing with characters coming out that you have to pay money for, even the Super Smash Bros franchise has fallen for this. I can understand why the companies are doing it, it's the principle that bothers me.

But cmon, you had to know that SJW means 'Social Justice Warrior'. That term has been used to death in the media and on the internet in the past few years.

although censorship is so stupid especially when it happen on an adults or M rated games and yet you still already made your consoles parental control to block kids from using your adult contents and all of that, but No.

if I switched to the Xbox I will no longer gonna play the Playstation franchise that I grew up with.

I found it funny that people now were saying this will kill the Playstation brand and all of that, freaking Nintendo used to censor games and contents beyond what Sony is currently doing, and they did not get affected by it at all, they sorta backed out a bit from censoring stuff to match their advertisement about showing adults is using their platforms and also just to bring their adult audience back that they jump ship to ps3 and 360 at the time.

if I have the money I would just go and buy all platforms and build myself a good PC, but due to my budget, I would have to go with one platform that i'm familiar with.

before i gave up I was planning on buying a Switch for a quite a long time but the darn thing in here cost the same price as a ps4 pro ( the base original switch, not the mini stupid one ) if I have that amount of money right now I would just getsa ps5 with it instead.

Edited by yellowwindow7

On 22/10/2020 at 4:49 AM, yellowwindow7 said:

I find it funny that people are now saying this will kill the PlayStation brand.

Now? The Xbox-PS console wars have always been like this:

Xbox does a slight failure that probably doesn't even affect anyone: "OHMIGOD DID YOU SEE THAT THING XBOX DID PLAYSTATION WINS THE WAR CONFIRMED!!?!?"

PlayStation also does a slight failure: "OHMIGOD DID YOU SEE PLAYSTATION'S EPIC FAIL?!?! XBOX TOTALLY WINS THE WAR!!!!?"

I understand the competition is good, but people treat it like it's an actual war, where someone wins and the other doesn't. And OK, you laugh at people doing it the first few times, but it does start getting really annoying after a while.

Edited by Eagle