Is the new rank system clever

PL_Tomasz_G

Judging how easy is to get the first 200 levels, looks like it's been done to give casuals a more accentuated feeling of... satisfaction? however after that goal has been reached, the system asks wayyy more trophies to level up. It wouldn't amaze me if more than half of the player base is in the 200-300 range.

Is quite dumb though, even most trophy hunters don't think in their player levels, but achieving new platinums and 100%s. Or that's my perception.

• Like 1

I kinda didn’t like it but I had like 5 friends who aren’t trophy hunters who messaged me asking how my level is so high I just told them to get one trophy and sync, and man they were really happy for some reason so I kinda get why Sony did it so everyone feels good about them selfs, its just that trophy updates should be about what trophy hunters want not the whole community.

either way I am starting to get used to it, its just weird because it took a month for me to level up and now I can easily, and the platinum icon on the ps5 looks dope as fuck, I wish I can get there one day.

Edited by Atoya
  • Like 3

I actually like it, now that I've gotten used to it.

I think it's lame how you can get to rank 100 with 200 trophies, or something like that - that's admittedly stupid. My girlfriend went from level 8 or something to 78, and she has 130 trophies (3 Platinums though). But beyond that, I really dig how every single trophy I earn now moves my rank percentage. It was kind of neat seeing my rank jump 30% or so when I got a Platinum trophy yesterday. So it makes progression feel more obvious and rewarding.

Edited by Maahniac
  • Like 1

The cap remains dumb. Even though I am not yet at 999, it won’t be long and then I’m right back to being stuck at max rank.

I still think they would have been better to have just uncapped the old system. I get wanting to have users see progress more steadily but having one game completion jump you dozens of levels is lame.

The only thing I like is the new badges. I get wanting to have a trophy like badge, with the plat at 999, but IMO they should uncap it and make the plat badge level 1000+, with players being able to continue to progress.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, colia100 said:

Im guessing they just did it to boost people's egos. Cause rank 242 sounds better than rank 12 or 13...

Yet they'll include trophy icons that match your level, so you can be 'bronze' for 300 levels, which sounds more demotivating than the old system

Thats how I actually start seeing, instead of 100 or 1000 levels, im already starting to think 'Silver 1 86%' being level 386, so i dont really think in levels, but in the 'ranks' instead

Which, to me, is stupid as well, why would you include such icons that 'show progress' in a ranking that also 'shows progress' ?

Feels like car companies could do the same, selling cars with different logo-colors just to show in what range of $$ the car did cost, you could be driving an expensive car brand but with a bronze logo it would look cheap as garbage ?

I don't like it and it will take me a while to get used to it. This update is just pointless inflation of the level, they only increased the cap for a little bit...It made the level even more meaningless. I liked the slow progression of the old level, now you level up every 2-3 games, which is not satisfying at all in my opinion. And why would you make a platinum trophy worth more than a 100% PSN game, just doesn't make sense.

• Like 2

When I get the PS5 I will like the icons and the overhaul overall with the trophy tracking system.

It’s also good you now need to hit the equivalent of lv160 to hit the cap instead of lv100, not than I’m anywhere near that.

As to the increase in numbers, it might look a little weird to us, but I like I actually see my numbers going up now. And it’ll be great for people just starting out on PS5.

I also like that the plat is worth more now. I always thought there should be a bigger reward compared to the gold trophies.

so overall, nothing bad accept shovelware is now more valuable, but that’s a separate problem with Sony now allowing plats on games that don’t warrant them.

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 1

I was wondering about this. The other day I was rank 22 or 23 then the next I'm rank 352. I thought it was a glitch or a bug or something. 

But it's apparently it's not. I'm sensing that they did this to boost gamer's egos. Which is really dumb IMO.

But then again, trophies still mean nothing at this point. It's still just bragging rights. There should be prizes or something for reaching certain levels. Like an actual platinum trophy or something, a jacket, trinkets, etc.

Edited by jackmadrox
  • Like 1

I actually like the “idea” of boosting others egos if it attracts more users into trophy hunting. It’s not a bad idea.

Will it work? Of course not. Trophy hunting is a niche, and takes incredible commitment. 

But I think the level inflation was done with a good heart.

Yes, it messes everything up ontologically. I can’t straighten out what is a high level and what isn’t yet. My mind is confused. 

But I think as we all adapt to the change, we’ll be ok again. It’ll just take time to get over the bitterness and difference. Trophies and leaderboards aren’t meaningless because of a simple statistical change, it’s just different.

So keep at it, everyone.

The only thing I don't like is that Platinum trophies themselves are now worth a different number of points towards the total. I've been steadily moving up the leaderboard for a long time, nearly cracked the top 50K, and now for the first time I've gone down. This incentivizes people to play games with quick & easy platinums, and avoid games that don't have a platinum at all. It literally makes some games "worth" more than others, and I have no desire to buy a Vita and play shovelware 6 times in a row across multiple regions just for 6 platinums in the lowest amount of time. So at this point I'll never catch up.

This is like if every Xbox game could only have 800 points, but you got an extra 200 points if you got the first 800. Better to just have the points be the points; count bronze/silver/gold towards level, and have platinums be worth zero.

16 hours ago, PhyrxianLibrarin said:

This incentivizes people to play games with quick & easy platinums, and avoid games that don't have a platinum at all. It literally makes some games "worth" more than others, and I have no desire to buy a Vita and play shovelware 6 times in a row across multiple regions just for 6 platinums in the lowest amount of time. So at this point I'll never catch up.

You say this like this change made this happen, but that was already an issue before the value was changed.  A plat was still worth twice as much as a gold and a cheap and easy game like Rata and POWGI games were worth 4x as many points as non-plats before.  The change just adds to the problems that already existed by giving the games an additional 120 points.  You also say this like catching up was ever a doable thing.  It isn't if you are looking towards the top spots.  Improvement is definitely possible, but not fully catching up.  I don't know when you joined PSN, but started earning trophies in 2013.  That means most of the top people have a 5+ year head start on me and they also have a lot more time to play games than I do (and own a lot more games than I do).  However, I am not them and all I can do is play the games I have.

The thing is, you shouldn't feel like you need to play shovelware.  If a game doesn't interest you, don't play it.  It's your profile and gaming is supposed to be fun.  Don't let things like leaderboard ranking deter from that fact.  I don't really care about this change because I never cared about my level beyond seeing it improve.  I'm focused more on getting my completion up and my backlog down.  Those are goals I can accomplish.

The previous leveling up system gave you the impression of being stationary, I think the new one is better.

Personally, I didn't pay much attention to my level before and I won't start doing it now. Level just shows you how long or how often you play, doesn't show you how good you are.

• Like 1