Payback is Incredibly Boring

TheGameCapsule

2 hours ago, TheGameCapsule said:

These games don't need stories. 

That's not strictly true. The series' soft reboot was inspired by the first Fast and Furious movie, which approximates itself as a street racer story with an operatic feel. As a result, some of the best games in the series ended up being Most Wanted (PS2) and Carbon.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wolvieware said:

I’ve played it for about a couple of hours now and it’s growing on me actually. I don’t think it’s that bad. I’ve been doing the off roading section which was pretty fun and getting the hang of upgrading the car with those speed cards which is a bit weird of doing upgrades but I’m getting used to it. I last played NFS 2015 which I quite enjoyed too so I’m starting to think maybe NFS has a bit of an unnecessarily bad name. Ok they aren’t classics but they aren’t exactly bad either. 

Thats what I thought, I bought the game last month and found it not that bad. 

12 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Payback isn’t the newest entry. You act like it is probably because you haven’t played a NFS game that wasn’t free in the last few years.

NFS Heat, 11/2019, was shockingly good. 

Heat was fantastic. Ghost improved on everything. Seems a shame that they've been taken off the NFS series now...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, frontzie said:

Heat was fantastic. Ghost improved on everything. Seems a shame that they've been taken off the NFS series now...

Really? They've been taken off after Heat? I really loved Heat, the skill curve with cops is tough but rewarding. In the beginning I couldn't get away from them but as you progress you learn the roads. The races, open world and day night theme were amazing. 

hope some DLC gets released so I can return to it. 

15 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Really? They've been taken off after Heat? I really loved Heat, the skill curve with cops is tough but rewarding. In the beginning I couldn't get away from them but as you progress you learn the roads. The races, open world and day night theme were amazing. 

hope some DLC gets released so I can return to it. 

I'm afraid they ended the support after the cross-platform patch.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 11:45 AM, MikeCheck-- said:

Payback isn’t the newest entry. You act like it is probably because you haven’t played a NFS game that wasn’t free in the last few years.

NFS Heat, 11/2019, was shockingly good. 

While this game will never win any awards, I thought this game received too much flack for what it is. It a fun arcade racer that knows what it is. I didn't find the roulette as invasive as people made it out to be, quite frankly, I hardly used the parts dealer. 

Need for Speed Heat was good as well (I'm glad they did the day/night - the day could of been more professional driven) but the reboot Need for Speed (2015) was by far the best modern NFS game. I liked the different factions - being the best at all was a cool throwback to the originals and they should of kept on this path. 

While these game will never be as good Carbon or Most Wanted, they are still better than the 2008 - 2013 games were. I platted Shift and Rivals but they really were bad games. Shift was good if you like sim racers but it was still to arcade driven and Rivals was a buggy pile of shit. 

16 minutes ago, Miles-MHunter said:

I loved payback, never got why it is so hated. Heat on the other hand was really boring, had to force myself to platinum it.

It was the speed traps that really made this game not as good as it could be. Plus High Heat Five was a pain. 

• Like 1

If Need For Speed were a football team, they would be Man Utd. I've rarely seen a series receive as much flak from people who want the 'good old days' of Underground and MW back. Payback, while not the best, is both enjoyable and frustrating enough to keep playing IMO. Some of the speed runs will take a bit of doing and some of the jumps are just plain stupid, but that's ironed out with insane speed traps and drift runs. The story line is a bit pants I agree, but at the end of the day, did ANYONE really expect to be immersed in an epic tale, or did they buy it to go sideways at 150mph into oncoming traffic!?.

I've played all NFS games from ps2 onwards. While I too have a bit of rose tinted glasses on when it comes to Underground, MW etc, the games that they are putting out now are just as good, if not better. I don't know if I'd want a remake of those games. I played MW recently on the 360, full of memories from yesteryear, and it hasn't held up well in my opinion. Got to no 8 on the speedlist then put it away (probably forever).

• Like 2

I have a question for the NFS aficionados. My only experience with the franchise on PS3 or PS4 was the Need For Speed game on PS4. I think you all refer to it as NFS (2015). Frankly, I found that game to be pretty disappointing. I didn’t find the setting very exciting (for one, it was ALWAYS at night), the story was pretty putrid and the characters were ?.

Was this game an outlier in the franchise? Or will Payback be pretty similar with its setting, story, etc.? I enjoy driving games and wouldn’t mind trying NFS again, but not if it’s just like that PS4 game.

Thanks for guidance you can give! 

I mean yeah, the story is trash. But who actually plays these types of games for the story?! (that was sarcasm by the way ?)

I wasn't thrilled with the game at first, but now that I have put like 5 or so hours into it, it's starting to grow on me. I dunno if I enjoy it enough that I'll actually grind out the platinum, but not half bad for a free game, in my humble opinion. Not as fun as I remember NFSU being, but still enjoyable nonetheless. 

• Like 1

On 14/10/2020 at 4:23 AM, PerryToxteth said:

I have a question for the NFS aficionados. My only experience with the franchise on PS3 or PS4 was the Need For Speed game on PS4. I think you all refer to it as NFS (2015). Frankly, I found that game to be pretty disappointing. I didn’t find the setting very exciting (for one, it was ALWAYS at night), the story was pretty putrid and the characters were 1f4a9.png.

Was this game an outlier in the franchise? Or will Payback be pretty similar with its setting, story, etc.? I enjoy driving games and wouldn’t mind trying NFS again, but not if it’s just like that PS4 game.

Thanks for guidance you can give! 

Honestly, I think Payback has weaker story and characters than NFS 2015.

The setting is pretty okay, but if you more or less hated 2015, I don't think you'll be fond of Payback at all either. In my personal opinion I thought 2015 was okay overall but probably better than this game.

• Like 1

Won't lie, it's not the best, but I can appreciate it for what it is. Personally I liked Carbon a ton due to the overtaking feature, Underground 2 due to the customization and MW due to the cops and they essentially try to put all of that in here. Plus, since a good amount of my friends play it (even before being free) its fun beating their records. 

• Like 1