Online Shutdown DID Affect Trophies

GamingWithFlacy

This image has been posted around a few PlayStation groups I am in and seems to be the real deal. Panic to complete this game may be over. It won’t let me insert the image but it’s a reply from WB support saying leaderboards will not affect the trophies at all. 

Update: Panic was warranted. Pro-tip: Don't believe anything first level support ever tells you.

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 4

Just now, TazDevilz1986 said:

I never trust sources like this, saw it with earlier responses from devs. Turned out to be the opposite side and eventually game got killed on the shutdown date. Just stick with your online challenges and knock them out to be safe.

Make sure to make more save slots and back it somewhere on Ps Plus cloud / flash drive once the 2 challenges are done. I guess we will find out on Oct 31st if this is true. 

I would be the same as you I got the platinum and wouldn’t be happy accepting this source just checking to see if anyone heard anything else to help verify this :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Conker said:

Be cool if true, but don’t trust anything until it actually happens 

Kudos to this.

Same happened to Gwent, the standalone Witcher card game, on consoles if I remember correctly (not 100% sure though).

Devs promised to keep the servers up and running but changed their mind eventually. A lot, if not most, of the trophies are unobtainable on console to this day since they require online multiplayer.

I wanted to install Mad Max and get those trophies before shutdown. If the trophies won't go unobtainable after all I'll wait till later with installing it.

Edited by its_ArchroniX
  • Like 1

From the wording of the reply, I don't think the guy understands that there is an achievement in "Up to the Task" that requires online connectivity, hence why he has forwarded this on for further clarity. Typical that they haven't a clue how their own game works.

I would say, get "Dividend" completed ASAP.

• Like 3

It makes me wonder if the online connection for the scrap crew challenges will be dependent on connection to PSN rather than WB's servers. Of course, it has to connect online somewhere -- I'll load up the game on/after October 31 with my save and see if the scrap crews are still working.

"I will also be forwarding your feedback regarding the looked everywhere and up to the task trophies to the game team for further review"

Your 5 years too late wb. Even if it gets 100 percent fixed i dont think i will start this game again. I played it the other day to have one last look for a fix and it as aged badly.

Unless they fix it without starting a new save file like playtonic did with yooka-laylee its a waste of time for me. 

After reading that I just got into the game too. I had plans to play it someday, but after hearing the online shutdown, I thought i should go in earlier.

The game is honestly pretty good, I'm having a lot of fun, but I heard of the bugs that can lock you out of the platinum, and while the online trophy isn't super difficult to get right away, I'm super scared to get in a locked save where my file can't take the platinum. 

For now I'll keep playing, do what I can, and as soon as I get that challenge done I'll make a save, but I might restart the game real quick, do the same shit but without actually collecting stuff, and then try again. 

I hope someone can at least tell me the game is working better than before and that bugs are rare, because honestly, it's the bugs that are scaring me more.

• Like 1

"I will also be forwarding your feedback regarding the looked everywhere and up to the task trophies to the game team for further review"

This actually says that support doesn't know it for sure.

They just have standard answers for questions and probably no one over there thought about the challenge for the trophy when they made the standard reply for questions regarding the servers.

If you think they'll patch it: They won't! ?

Releasing patches on PSN costs money and why would they spend money on a 5-year old product which they are closing the server from in a few weeks?

Business is all about money and that's also the reason the servers are closing: It costs money, doesn't gain them money and player base is too low to even bother with them.

And then it's even the question if they still have the source code and the required tools to edit and build this code into a new release/patch. A lot of things can go wrong with source code in software world...

Maybe there's indeed another trick that it asks the time from PSN Network instead of local time. That would actually be very cool!

But for now... we don't know it.

I didn't take my chances and finished the game and if you really want it you should start now instead of next week ;)

Only after the shutdown we will know for sure.

That is... if it really has its shutdown and it's not forgotten like Batman on PS3. Both are Warner Bros if I'm not mistaken?

Edited by Kolm

I wonder how the challenge actually works.  Essentially all the game needs to do is look at the time of the last save and compare it to the time of logging in and pay the rewards as appropriate.  I know nothing of how this works, but all WB would need to be providing is a time server for this.  For all I know it's querying time.windows.com or something like most PCs do.  If that's actually the case, then the game might survive the server shutdown.  Maybe someone has actually looked at the code and can explain it.

Also, WB updated Mortal Kombat X a few months ago to add in ads for Mortal Kombat 11, remove WBPlay (or the app link or something) and give those rewards for free.  So updating a 2015 game isn't outside their wheelhouse.  Granted, MKX has a bigger following and all, but they might just trigger in the update that those two challenges are autocompleted - or removed from the game so they don't count on the list for what needs to happen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gaming-Kingdoms said:

This image has been posted around a few PlayStation groups I am in and seems to be the real deal. Panic to complete this game may be over. It won’t let me insert the image but it’s a reply from WB support saying leaderboards will not affect the trophies at all. 

I'm more shocked WB support actually responded. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, papert0wng1rl said:

I gotta thank the devs for shutting down the servers to finally kick me in the butt to play this game. It’s definitely a huge game with tons to do, but I’m having a good time. Otherwise, it would have stayed in my “someday” pile forever. Personally, I finished Dividend and did my backups, and I’m working towards a platinum before Halloween. Just in case.

Same here actually... this definitely has 'in a decade's time' written on it if it wasn't for this shut down. Glad I started it though as I'm greatly enjoying it. 

I'd wager the advice given up top, that it's still going to be doable after shutdown, is bad advice or at best uninformed. I hope it works out like that, but I doubt it.

• Like 1