Online Shutdown DID Affect Trophies

GamingWithFlacy

59 minutes ago, Jproche44 said:

I had to restart the game again. I was fortunate enough to have enough time to get the online scrap before the servers shut down. 

Well and good if this wasn't such a mess of a game with multiple ways to glitch you out of the Up to the Task trophy. I had two different glitches that would have prevented me from getting the trophy; scrap and transfer tanks. I had to restart it twice and finally got the trophy on my third try.

So the timeframe was long enough for you to restart two times and still get the trophy. I fail to see why anyone would need to complain then. Most people don't encounter any glitches and don't have to restart. 

47 minutes ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

So the timeframe was long enough for you to restart two times and still get the trophy. I fail to see why anyone would need to complain then. Most people don't encounter any glitches and don't have to restart. 

There will always be people who miss deadlines either because they weren't paying attention or got unlucky with glitches and had to restart, complaining now is useless but it's all they got left. 

On the other hand, all the hate towards WB Games feels like a waste of energy, if anything we should be praising them for giving us an announcement as some companies today still don't bother to post a single tweet when their shutdowns occur. 

18 hours ago, Aodir said:

There will always be people who miss deadlines either because they weren't paying attention or got unlucky with glitches and had to restart, complaining now is useless but it's all they got left. 

On the other hand, all the hate towards WB Games feels like a waste of energy, if anything we should be praising them for giving us an announcement as some companies today still don't bother to post a single tweet when their shutdowns occur. 

I can promise you that someone out there will fail middle earth as well. He/She will start the game at 31 December and not play long enough for the revenge mission to show up before they shut the servers down next day. 

It's their own fault, if they start games that late. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 5:11 AM, Sinthoras_96 said:

I can promise you that someone out there will fail middle earth as well. He/She will start the game at 31 December and not play long enough for the revenge mission to show up before they shut the servers down next day. 

It's their own fault, if they start games that late. 

And they’ll throw a hissy fit, because they said they didn’t have the time to get into the games beforehand. 

I started Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale and DRIVECLUB after the server shutdown announcement, knowing that it would be my fault if I didn’t get the online done in time. 

I have a few unobtainables on my account, so yeah. You can’t have everything. 

On 11/6/2020 at 8:14 AM, RyanK100k said:

Why is everyone convinced that they won't patch Mad Max or Middle Earth? They have reliably patched Max in the recent past, and its not like they shut down the development team

They’re too old of games for them to care at this point. Mortal Kombat X already has issues with online invasions not working. 

Someone at WB thought it was time to pull the plug on these games, and that is what’s happening with Middle Earth.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 8:14 AM, RyanK100k said:

Why is everyone convinced that they won't patch Mad Max or Middle Earth? They have reliably patched Max in the recent past, and its not like they shut down the development team

Because it just seems really unlikely from a cost/benefit standpoint. It probably wouldn't cost very much to patch Mad Max, but WB would get virtually no benefit from doing so.

It's an old game that didn't get great reviews, and so WB gave up on it pretty early. I just checked and I bought it for $36 at release, which is not a good sign. They can't be selling many copies of the game now, which means that it's not bringing in much in the way of income. Moreover, the loss of the online feature has essentially no effect on how the game plays. The only reason to care is because of trophies. And we know that only a small percentage of players care about that.

So it all becomes a question of "Is it worth spending the money to fix this?" And I think the reasonable answer is "No."

It would be great if they did anyway, of course. But honestly, I was kind of surprised that they put out the 1.06 patch and that was two years ago.

21 hours ago, RyanK100k said:

How do I get a job at WB Games? I am planning to switch careers, but I know nothing about programming. Anyway, I will patch this game, I promise.

Oh yeah, your future supervisors at WB would be happy seeing an employee wasting precious development time in an unprofitable abandoned game (I doubt you'd even have access to the game's code repository).

Moreover, how would you push the updates to production without permission from the bosses there?

I doubt WB would even want to pay the PSN fee for updates.

Well, guess what?

This game is gone and the chance of they patching offline scraps is very slim.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, noland208 said:

Well, I was smart and did the game. And I finished with plenty of time left. Maybe you guys bitching about how you couldn't get it in time should have start WAY earlier.

You don't even have the game...

And from what I've heard, it's more of a question of luck than time, regarding trophies, as this game lived and died in a horrible glitchy state.

21 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

You don't even have the game...

And from what I've heard, it's more of a question of luck than time, regarding trophies, as this game lived and died in a horrible glitchy state.

I got it on my new account, nolanexpress08. Sorry, my comment was kinda mean, just been having a bad day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EdinhoN said:

Oh yeah, your future supervisors at WB would be happy seeing an employee wasting precious development time in an unprofitable abandoned game (I doubt you'd even have access to the game's code repository).

Moreover, how would you push the updates to production without permission from the bosses there?

I doubt WB would even want to pay the PSN fee for updates.

Well, guess what?

This game is gone and the chance of they patching offline scraps is very slim.

Don’t think they were being serious. Lol.

• Like 1

I'm about to send the following message to WB Games Support.  Hopefully, this might help.  :)

-----------------------------

Dear WB Games Support,

I want to thank you for providing the great Mad Max game.  It is a nice complement to the movie and it provides great entertainment to George Miller's Mad Max fan base.

I also want to thank you for providing the server shutdown notice in the game's description on the PSN store.  I know other companies would not even bother with a notice.

Just one tiny suggestion though, please consider making one update to the game to patch the trophy/achievement "Up to the Task".  I'm not sure what the reasoning was behind adding an online requirement for this trophy/achievement.  I've read it can range from being a bullet on someone's checklist (Sony, Warner Brothers, Microsoft, etc.) to being part of a larger effort to increase Mad Max 's promotion via user-to-user.

If you are looking for a possible solution from me, I have read on various websites that the "A Penny Saved" and "Dividend" challenges could be modified in the following ways:
1. Change the code to read the time from a different server
2. Make the challenges repeating

3. Keep the servers up through donations?

I'm sure you or the team/company/programmer you contracted to code the game would have a more elegant solution.

After the announcement of the shutdown, there was conflicting messages on whether or not the trophies would be affected.  Players couldn't be 100% sure whether or not the trophies/achievements would be affected.  Even your own support page doesn't make it clear that the server shutdown would affect trophies/achievements
https://wbgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058007413-Mad-Max-Status-Update

Below are some links to online communities where these contradictions were discussed:

https://(URL not allowed)/forums/forum/gaming/ps4/m-ab/mad-max/42236-online-closing-october-31-2020-platinum-to-be-unobtainable
https://www.trueachievements.com/n43266/mad-max-server-closure?page=14
https://www.reddit.com/r/MadMaxGame/comments/jas1ld/server_shutdown_will_not_affect_getting_trophies/
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/718929-mad-max/79071738
https://steamcommunity.com/app/234140/discussions/0/3010053344570325117/

I'm sure you have lots of other popular games to pour your resources into and I'm just a single player concerned about an inconsequential portion of the game.  I don't even know how much it would cost you in time, money, and labor for coding a patch, testing it, certifying it, and publishing it to Steam, XBox, and Playstation.  You might even run the risk of breaking something.  However, wouldn't you agree this would be the right thing to do?  Doing what's right doesn't always mean doing what's easy.

For example, let me tell you a story about my little brother.

When my little brother turned 13 years old, our dad gifted him a pack of boxer shorts.  My little brother had always worn briefs/boxer-briefs since he was a baby.  This meant a lot to our father because he was mostly away from home working hard to earn our family money.  He never had the chance to be around to see us grow up. Our dad thought this would be a perfect father-son moment believing the switch from briefs/boxer-briefs to boxers for a teenage boy is a symbolic recognition of transitioning from childhood to young adulthood.  Our father did the same to me - that's how I found out how much this moment  meant to him.

Well, my little brother said no.  He didn't even want to consider switching to boxer shorts because he has always worn briefs/boxer-briefs and sees no reason to switch.  He just tossed the pack of boxer shorts in his closet.  My dad was a little hurt because he only had a few days with us before he had to leave again and this wasn't the moment/memory he was hoping to create.  My father had a better moment/memory with me because I wanted to switch to boxer shorts but I was too embarrassed to ask mom.

After my dad left, he never came back.  He was killed in a car crash two weeks later.  We grieved.  This was the time that my little brother decided to open up the pack of boxer shorts our dad gave him.  At first, my little brother had some uneasiness wearing boxer shorts, but after a while he learned how to wear them and loved them.  He even threw out all his briefs/boxer-briefs and asked our mom to buy him boxer shorts from now on.  He even told me that he thanks our departed father for preparing him for high school where he found out in the locker room that all his classmates wear boxer shorts.  If he had stayed in briefs/boxer-briefs he wouldn't have felt like he belonged there.

Sorry if the story was a little long.  However, the point of the story is that releasing a patch for the affected challenges may not be easy/profitable but in the end you may end up setting yourself up to be in a beneficial position in some unseen future situation.

Thank you.
a WB Games gamer

Edited by sweeping-lamp3
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, sweeping-lamp3 said:

I'm about to send the following message to WB Games Support.  Hopefully, this might help.  :)

-----------------------------

Dear WB Games Support,

I want to thank you for providing the great Mad Max game.  It is a nice complement to the movie and it provides great entertainment to George Miller's Mad Max fan base.

I also want to thank you for providing the server shutdown notice in the game's description on the PSN store.  I know other companies would not even bother with a notice.

Just one tiny suggestion though, please consider making one update to the game to patch the trophy/achievement "Up to the Task".  I'm not sure what the reasoning was behind adding an online requirement for this trophy/achievement.  I've read it can range from being a bullet on someone's checklist (Sony, Warner Brothers, Microsoft, etc.) to being part of a larger effort to increase Mad Max 's promotion via user-to-user.

If you are looking for a possible solution from me, I have read on various websites that the "A Penny Saved" and "Dividend" challenges could be modified in the following ways:
1. Change the code to read the time from a different server
2. Make the challenges repeating

3. Keep the servers up through donations?

I'm sure you or the team/company/programmer you contracted to code the game would have a more elegant solution.

After the announcement of the shutdown, there was conflicting messages on whether or not the trophies would be affected.  Players couldn't be 100% sure whether or not the trophies/achievements would be affected.  Even your own support page doesn't make it clear that the server shutdown would affect trophies/achievements
https://wbgamessupport.wbgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058007413-Mad-Max-Status-Update

Below are some links to online communities where these contradictions were discussed:

https://(URL not allowed)/forums/forum/gaming/ps4/m-ab/mad-max/42236-online-closing-october-31-2020-platinum-to-be-unobtainable
https://www.trueachievements.com/n43266/mad-max-server-closure?page=14
https://www.reddit.com/r/MadMaxGame/comments/jas1ld/server_shutdown_will_not_affect_getting_trophies/
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/718929-mad-max/79071738
https://steamcommunity.com/app/234140/discussions/0/3010053344570325117/

I'm sure you have lots of other popular games to pour your resources into and I'm just a single player concerned about an inconsequential portion of the game.  I don't even know how much it would cost you in time, money, and labor for coding a patch, testing it, certifying it, and publishing it to Steam, XBox, and Playstation.  You might even run the risk of breaking something.  However, wouldn't you agree this would be the right thing to do?  Doing what's right doesn't always mean doing what's easy.

For example, let me tell you a story about my little brother.

When my little brother turned 13 years old, our dad gifted him a pack of boxer shorts.  My little brother had always worn briefs/boxer-briefs since he was a baby.  This meant a lot to our father because he was mostly away from home working hard to earn our family money.  He never had the chance to be around to see us grow up. Our dad thought this would be a perfect father-son moment believing the switch from briefs/boxer-briefs to boxers for a teenage boy is a symbolic recognition of transitioning from childhood to young adulthood.  Our father did the same to me - that's how I found out how much this moment  meant to him.

Well, my little brother said no.  He didn't even want to consider switching to boxer shorts because he has always worn briefs/boxer-briefs and sees no reason to switch.  He just tossed the pack of boxer shorts in his closet.  My dad was a little hurt because he only had a few days with us before he had to leave again and this wasn't the moment/memory he was hoping to create.  My father had a better moment/memory with me because I wanted to switch to boxer shorts but I was too embarrassed to ask mom.

After my dad left, he never came back.  He was killed in a car crash two weeks later.  We grieved.  This was the time that my little brother decided to open up the pack of boxer shorts our dad gave him.  At first, my little brother had some uneasiness wearing boxer shorts, but after a while he learned how to wear them and loved them.  He even threw out all his briefs/boxer-briefs and asked our mom to buy him boxer shorts from now on.  He even told me that he thanks our departed father for preparing him for high school where he found out in the locker room that all his classmates wear boxer shorts.  If he had stayed in briefs/boxer-briefs he wouldn't have felt like he belonged there.

Sorry if the story was a little long.  However, the point of the story is that releasing a patch for the affected challenges may not be easy/profitable but in the end you may end up setting yourself up to be in a beneficial position in some unseen future situation.

Thank you.
a WB Games gamer

It might not mean much but you have my support, I thought your message was well written and also a bit heart-warming. Hopefully, WB Games decides to patch the game to make the challenges obtainable. I missed out on the chance to plat this game cause I was going through some personal issues last month and wasn't in the right headspace to dedicate time to gaming.

• Like 2

I just want to add to this thread and say I just got the Up to the Task trophy without having completed all the challenges. I had already completed the scrap collecting ones before the server shutdown so I can't confirm anything surrounding those ones but I got the trophy to pop while still having others open. This could either mean one of four things:

1. Not all tasks are necessary, maybe including the scrap collection ones for the trophy and therefore the support team being adamant about the trophy still being available.

2. This was one glitch in a game famous for it's glitches. I would like to say my playthrough was glitch free but I did have some oddities happen to me. Specifically the stat tracking seemed overly complicated and sometimes I felt like numbers were going backwards but then it was very late in the game that I realised some challenges unlock more when you complete them.

3. Not necessarily a glitch but related in that the numbers could have been going up in the background while the stats said otherwise.

4. This is the one I think is the case. The challenges I have open still are "double-ups" which means I completed the lower numbered challenge before. Technically the challenges I have open say they have been completed 0 times but also technically I have completed that challenge and this is a new one with a higher number. This option may mean that anyone who collected 500 scrap say, doesn't need to collect the 2000 for the trophy to pop.

For reference I have 5 challenges open still:

Jousting with Dragons - Destroy vehicles on foot (currently on 19/20 having previously completed the one having to destroy 10)

Grind over Matter - Destroy vehicles by grinding (currently on 22/24 having previously having to grind 12 in a previous challenge)

A Piece of History - Destroy 100 Scrotus faction vehicles by any means (21/100)

Exorcisor - Destroy Fire Raider faction by any means (5/100)

Lord of War - Destroy Buzzard faction vehicles by any means (2/100)

The last challenges I completed were the Juggler Archangel challenges to kill 15 of each faction and they unlocked the other 3 faction related challenges above.

Hope this gives anyone insight and maybe there's someone out there committed to testing out any potential workaround to the server shutdown. I for one am glad I got the trophy and really don't want to test out any of this myself. One platinum playthrough was enough. This is a  great game though and severely underrated especially in the story department. I'm currently in Act 5 and there's a whole load of weird stuff happening that reminds me of Spec Ops the Line.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StandSilent said:

For reference I have 5 challenges open still:

Jousting with Dragons - Destroy vehicles on foot (currently on 19/20 having previously completed the one having to destroy 10)

Grind over Matter - Destroy vehicles by grinding (currently on 22/24 having previously having to grind 12 in a previous challenge)

A Piece of History - Destroy 100 Scrotus faction vehicles by any means (21/100)

Exorcisor - Destroy Fire Raider faction by any means (5/100)

Lord of War - Destroy Buzzard faction vehicles by any means (2/100)

These are all repeatable challenges. They aren't required for the trophy.

• Like 2

While it sucks that this game has online trophies that are no longer available, it was a blessing in disguise for me. 

I bought this game on sale on 11/28/2016 but never played it, and due to the notice about the shutdown I actually made it a priority to play. 

Its not a perfect game, but I found the vehicular combat fun and fresh, and the store, while sparse, was enjoyable. I have never seen anything Mad Max related but now I'm interested.

I didn't run into any serious glitches, but I was careful. Only glitch was once I fell through the ground, and when I respawned I was floating upward. Nothing a quick restart didn't fix.

I now have the Plat and can start on Shadow of Mordor now ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nhindian said:

While it sucks that this game has online trophies that are no longer available, it was a blessing in disguise for me. 

I bought this game on sale on 11/28/2016 but never played it, and due to the notice about the shutdown I actually made it a priority to play. 

Its not a perfect game, but I found the vehicular combat fun and fresh, and the store, while sparse, was enjoyable. I have never seen anything Mad Max related but now I'm interested.

I didn't run into any serious glitches, but I was careful. Only glitch was once I fell through the ground, and when I respawned I was floating upward. Nothing a quick restart didn't fix.

I now have the Plat and can start on Shadow of Mordor now ;)

I was on the same boat, I picked mine probably in the same sale as you, played a little, found it absolutely boring and leave it alone. Picked it up again when I saw the shutdown announcement, put some news to listen to and the 50+ hours passed like a breeze.

• Like 1

I was able to get the scrap in time but I wanna know why the guide on this website didn’t mention there was a online dependent trophy in the trophy classification section? It’s a critical failure in trust between a guide writer and trophy hunters (especially those who plan to play games with online trophies first before offline only games). 

• Like 3

On 11/20/2020 at 11:44 AM, Eraezr said:

I was able to get the scrap in time but I wanna know why the guide on this website didn’t mention there was a online dependent trophy in the trophy classification section? It’s a critical failure in trust between a guide writer and trophy hunters (especially those who plan to play games with online trophies first before offline only games). 

Grand Kingdom was the same. Suddenly a server shutdown was announced and everyone was surprised to see this game had an online trophy. Lesson learned the hard way.....

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 2:25 AM, Spaz said:

No you shouldn’t. 

WB Games also published Mortal Kombat 2011 and Mortal Kombat X. I don’t recall seeing anywhere that said they will shut down the online for Mortal Kombat 2011, but they did earlier this year, so the platinum is now unobtainable. 

Invasions haven’t worked in over a month on Mortal Kombat X, and that is a PS4 game. So like with Mad Max and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, WB is probably thinking of shutting off the online for that game too. 

All fingers point to WB. 

The mortal kombat shutdown was published on the WB server status webpage, but only for the ps3 version. Xbox version still works since microsoft host those servers. They posted it like a week or 2 before the scheduled shutdown, but it didn't actually close until way after the posted date

• Like 1