The Dark Pictures: Little Hope - Launches October 30

Despite my personal rule about not playing games with witchcraft, I am actually interested in this one because it seems that it is based on the Salem witch trials, which were not actually about witchcraft and sorcery, but mass hysteria that resulted in state-sanctioned murder. I've already pre-ordered this game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, funboy1246 said:

I personally wasn't thrilled with man from medan, dont even think i finished it. im probably gonna skip it. but those that are getting it, enjoy!

Even though I like Man of Medan,  I think it's kinda average game and nothing special,  but I feel hopeful for Little Hope.  Devs seem to taken some criticism to heart,  they said they will improve the camera and they'll be sections where the camera won't be fixed,  qtes and decisions will have clearer consequences,  etc.  We can hope the story will be better than MoM but I think Little Hope has overall more interesting concept and idea. 

14 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

I hope they fix the movement.

Hopefully the improved camera will make moving easier.

14 hours ago, droppingtherock said:

Definitely excited. I preordered very early. The 1st Dark Pictures wasn't nearly as good as Until Dawn, but I'm still looking forward to this and staying optimistic.

Preordered early too! I'm optimistic that it will be at least an improvement from Man of Medan, but I'm cautious about it being on par with Until Dawn. It's such a amazing game backed up with huge budget and it's a full price title unlike the Dark Pictures.

• Like 1

Just now, arcanehornet_ said:

“Little Hope” is exactly what I have towards this game.

I do have more hope for this entry, actually. Man of Medan was fairly good, it's just the big plot twist that took away most of the tension.

Little Hope looks like it'll feature actual supernatural events and a terrifying villain, so this one could definitely exceed Man of Medan.

Spoiler

Unless the town turns out to hold a warehouse where they stock the exact same hallucinogenic gas, that would destroy any hope I would have for future entries. (Yes I'm joking, I can not imagine they'll implement a terrible twist like that in game #2)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoaLoft said:

I do have more hope for this entry, actually. Man of Medan was fairly good, it's just the big plot twist that took away most of the tension.

Little Hope looks like it'll feature actual supernatural events and a terrifying villain, so this one could definitely exceed Man of Medan.

Reveal hidden contents

Unless the town turns out to hold a warehouse where they stock the exact same hallucinogenic gas, that would destroy any hope I would have for future entries. (Yes I'm joking, I can not imagine they'll implement a terrible twist like that in game #2)

The premise definitely seems more interesting than in Man of Medan, witch trials are a good topic. Hopefully the story remains supernatural to the end.

21 hours ago, JoaLoft said:

Reveal hidden contents

Actually i was glad, that it turned out to be a realistic reason for people going mad. I also prefered the first act in until dawn where you thought it's about the killer and not the wendigos. I'm not really into that supernatural stuff and that's the main reason i'm kinda skeptical with little hope. Preordered months ago and will definitely enjoy the first playthrough with a friend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westersburg said:

Actually i was glad, that it turned out to be a realistic reason for people going mad. I also prefered the first act in until dawn where you thought it's about the killer and not the wendigos. I'm not really into that supernatural stuff and that's the main reason i'm kinda skeptical with little hope. Preordered months ago and will definitely enjoy the first playthrough with a friend.

Unless there is some unexpected twist, it is pretty much confirmed that Little Hope will be supernatural and I think Supermassive games will be careful with games that are not supernatural, since the Man of Medan twist was not that popular.

2 hours ago, Kesme63 said:

Unless there is some unexpected twist, it is pretty much confirmed that Little Hope will be supernatural and I think Supermassive games will be careful with games that are not supernatural, since the Man of Medan twist was not that popular.

oh wasn't it? Didn't really heared that of friends that played the game. Didn't read much in forums tbh. I think it depends on the marketing. Man of medan was advertised as something spooky and haunting stuff, so it may have been a letdown for a few people. I expect little hope to really be a horror game now, but i hope there will be a few titles in the future which will go in the direction of the beginning of until dawn. Really liked that. Im curious if they are still going to release 8 games in total. 

5 hours ago, westersburg said:

Agree, I much preferred the first act of Until Dawn where it played out like a teen horror movie.  Once they moved into the supernatural/wendigo territory, I lost much of my interest (still enjoyed the game though).

Since this seems to rely heavily on the supernatural element, I will likely wait until it is cheap to pick up.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, westersburg said:

oh wasn't it? Didn't really heared that of friends that played the game. Didn't read much in forums tbh. I think it depends on the marketing. Man of medan was advertised as something spooky and haunting stuff, so it may have been a letdown for a few people. I expect little hope to really be a horror game now, but i hope there will be a few titles in the future which will go in the direction of the beginning of until dawn. Really liked that. Im curious if they are still going to release 8 games in total. 

I've read a lot of forums, watched videos and reviews and it seems like a pretty common consensus. Especially a lot of people felt that the replay value was lowered since 

Spoiler

they are hallucinating and there is now lesser sense of danger.

They were originally planning on releasing them every six months two so who knows how it will go. I guess it depends on how well the game will financially perform - MoM sold a million copies and they were very happy about that. One interesting this also is that you can see the next anthology entries in the Curator's library:

Spoiler

https://i.redd.it/w035wnadn6k51.jpg there are only 4 books so maybe the settled on 4 or  they haven't decided on 5-8 yet?

Edited by Kesme63

On 15-10-2020 at 9:52 AM, westersburg said:

I liked the killer premise of the first half of Until Dawn too. A horror game can definitely be great without supernatural elements (look at the Outlast games or Alien: Isolation, all three games are amazing), but this particular one just doesn't work well in future runs. And the problem clearly lies in the plot twist.

After it has been established that the gas is causing hallucinations, you're no longer dreading chase sequences or confrontations with disturbing enemies. Having the knowledge that it's all fake, takes away a lot of the tension that the first run had. Sure, there are pirates who want to kill you, but those same pirates fall victim to the gas as well, and are eventually reduced to incoherent shells of their former selves, minimalizing their presence as well.

The introduction of the pirates was well done though, with the cabin door slamming open in the middle of the storm at night, and three silhouettes of hooded figures are standing in the doorway. There are parts here that still work regardless of the set-up.

I just think Man of Medan gets the job done in the first run, subsequent playthroughs don't captivate nearly as much. And in that case, I'll take a supernatural horror game over this kind of story any day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...