Really struggling with Mountain Marathon Tour

davestovies

Tried this for about 4 hours and can't get past 4 gears and I've tried every "easy" method online and can't do it. About to give up on this game honestly and the other garbage challenges have almost stopped me already. Anyone have anymore tips they can give or is there no point even bothering with this stupid challenge?

If you have the Sky Fortress DLC then any wingsuit challenge can be very easy. The video below shows how to get 5 gears using the standard wingsuit however I could never get the hang of this method but using the bavarium wingsuit from Sky Fortress makes it trivial as you can use the booster to get around. Technically you’re not supposed to be able to use it for challenges but you can.

• Like 1

I didn’t use the DLC wingsuit although I’ve heard it can make the challenges easier so definitely try that first.

One of the tricks I‘d used for one of the mountain challenges was to fly around in a circle by using the grappling hook, which would slow me down and allow me to set myself up to go through the next hoop. It takes a bit of practice but it worked for me. 

that is one of the most hardest challenges besides that one race that always comes up short on time. i wasted 2 controllers analogs playing it, my suggestion is take a break. the mission isnt easy even with the wingsuit but prob easier then without it. but its possible. really no tutorial video will help because the challenge is shit. take a break and try it again. i think it took me 2 weeks. i have a video of it when i finished it i never uploaded i could upload it but i dunno if itll help much

edit i'll upload the video anyways, maybe itll help i dunno. one of the hardest things about that now that im relooking at it is not only do you need to keep up speed, you need to fly low enough to get perfects without losing speed. i recall getting halfway through most the time and just plummeting or right at the end not having enough speed to get the last loop

Edited by melodicmizery

7 hours ago, Emina said:

I didn’t use the DLC wingsuit although I’ve heard it can make the challenges easier so definitely try that first.

One of the tricks I‘d used for one of the mountain challenges was to fly around in a circle by using the grappling hook, which would slow me down and allow me to set myself up to go through the next hoop. It takes a bit of practice but it worked for me. 

I tried this a few times in different spots but I'd either not have gotten enough extra points to get 5 gears or I would end up just crashing near the end of the race and failing anyway. I'll take a look at the DLC wingsuit though.  

7 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

If you have the Sky Fortress DLC then any wingsuit challenge can be very easy. The video below shows how to get 5 gears using the standard wingsuit however I could never get the hang of this method but using the bavarium wingsuit from Sky Fortress makes it trivial as you can use the booster to get around. Technically you’re not supposed to be able to use it for challenges but you can.

Does the DLC wingsuit just give you a jetpack or is it easier to control as well?

4 hours ago, davestovies said:

I tried this a few times in different spots but I'd either not have gotten enough extra points to get 5 gears or I would end up just crashing near the end of the race and failing anyway. I'll take a look at the DLC wingsuit though.  

Does the DLC wingsuit just give you a jetpack or is it easier to control as well?

It gives you a jetpack which makes doing loops pretty easy. I couldn’t do loops using the grappling hook but with the jetpack it was no problem at all.

I see. I'll give it a try then. I came close once using the loop method for extra points so hopefully this makes it easier.

44 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

It gives you a jetpack which makes doing loops pretty easy. I couldn’t do loops using the grappling hook but with the jetpack it was no problem at all.

Honestly, i think at most it took me 3-4 tries to nail it. I think its because I really enjoyed these wingsuit challenges so much that I was actually really good at them. Was able to anticipate how steep and fast i needed to go to hit the next centre ring but a tip i can give is slow down when you feel it’s too steep and just take your time. Practice makes perfect after all

Ya, it's a long course so it will take some time memorizing. You also need to get a sense of how long to hold the stick to the left or right in order to make a sharp turn. If you hold the stick until you are lined up with the ring, you will oversteer, you have to release it partway through the turn. To aid in the quick turn, I'll usually start it a few moments before I pass through the previous ring. As when you do a sharp turn you first drift a little in the opposite direction, and then you break hard in the direction you are steering. For example, just before the 5th ring that is very close to the mountain, when you get right next to the peak if you hold right, you will drift a little to the left around the peak, then break hard to the right as you reach the center of the 5th ring. That will give you a little more time to line up the 6th ring.

As there is no time limit feel free to pump the brakes as much as you need to line up with the center of the ring. You just can't slow down much after the last dive at the end of the course or you won't have enough momentum to make it to the last ring. Also remember, running into the red part of the center ring as just as good as flying through it. So make use of that when you have to pull quickly out of a steep dive to fly through a ring.

Where is it that you generally mess up?

39 minutes ago, Guardian_owl said:

Ya, it's a long course so it will take some time memorizing. You also need to get a sense of how long to hold the stick to the left or right in order to make a sharp turn. If you hold the stick until you are lined up with the ring, you will oversteer, you have to release it partway through the turn. To aid in the quick turn, I'll usually start it a few moments before I pass through the previous ring. As when you do a sharp turn you first drift a little in the opposite direction, and then you break hard in the direction you are steering. For example, just before the 5th ring that is very close to the mountain, when you get right next to the peak if you hold right, you will drift a little to the left around the peak, then break hard to the right as you reach the center of the 5th ring. That will give you a little more time to line up the 6th ring.

As there is no time limit feel free to pump the brakes as much as you need to line up with the center of the ring. You just can't slow down much after the last dive at the end of the course or you won't have enough momentum to make it to the last ring. Also remember, running into the red part of the center ring as just as good as flying through it. So make use of that when you have to pull quickly out of a steep dive to fly through a ring.

Where is it that you generally mess up?

I keep messing up when I try to hit the red marker on checkpoints that are really close to the ground. Usually think I'm about to hit it right and then I just crash and mess the whole thing up. Happens just after the snowy section, going towards the excavator/crane section. Think I've only ever actually finished the course 3 times.

Edited by davestovies

I think from memory you don’t have to fly through every hoop. I’ve missed one before and still made the five gears. Determine which one you have to miss due to it being far too hard to reach as an example. I couldn’t tell you if I’d missed any on the Mountain challenge specifically but I know I have done on one or two of the courses at least.

2 hours ago, Emina said:

I think from memory you don’t have to fly through every hoop. I’ve missed one before and still made the five gears. Determine which one you have to miss due to it being far too hard to reach as an example. I couldn’t tell you if I’d missed any on the Mountain challenge specifically but I know I have done on one or two of the courses at least.

Unfortunately missing any of the hoops would pretty much mess up the whole course. I managed to complete the course a couple times only missing perfect score on a few hoops and I was nowhere close to the 5 gear score.

In looking at a few videos in the thread, it looks like you can miss the red ring in 2 or 3 rings and still make it as long as you are fairly close, "great". As the area after the snow is a steep angled dive downward, maybe try a hard air break right after the last ring in the snowy section. Not only will this give you more time to line up the shot for the ring that is right after the cliff drop off, but it will give you more flying time to contribute to your points. Then for the next series of rings in this descent, aim for the lower part of the red ring for ones that are not near the ground (to get horizontal as early as possible) and the top of the red rings for the ones that are close to the ground.

You could also try a medium length hard break just before the cliff after the construction site to line up with the ring below the cliff, then plunge down full speed. If you hit the perfect on all or all but 1 other rings, then you should be fine to miss the perfect on the ring that requires you pulling out of the steep dive (the 6th from last), aim for a few feet above the red ring for "great," Not slowing down to perfect that ring ensures you will have plenty of momentum to make it through the last 5 rings.

Another trick to try if find you keep hitting the ground when trying to perfect a ring that is close to the ground after a dive is to pull up like normal, but at the last moment as you near the ground, pull up and briefly to one direction. As you remember from earlier, when you turn, you briefly go up and in the opposite direction of the turn. As soon as you pass the ring go back to just pulling up, this will briefly give you another foot or so of clearance and a little more time to pull out of the dive.

Edited by Guardian_owl

• 8 months later...
On 13/10/2020 at 11:31 PM, FilmFanatic said:

How were you able to use the the bavarium wingsuit in the base game challanges?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...