Minigames aren't fun.

JEDLander

Somebody had to say it.

Seriously what's the point in having 26 minigames if only a few of them actually manage to be fun? Sure they all *look* fun. Until you actually go to play them in any kind of serious capacity. Virtually all of them have overly-fiddly or counter-intuitive controls. Pool, darts, bowling, disco etc. have all been done many times before and far better in many other games, and heavenly LORD forbid you ever have to compete with an NPC. Yakuza 0 holds this shit sacred for some reason, you can be churning out 3-star disco dances, make very few mistakes, then look across and oh the NPC just came in with a cool 1500 more points than you. Awesome. I'm not saying 'let me win' I'm saying 'Idgaf about this minigame so maybe if I get a CP-worthy score you could just let me carry on with the substory'?

As Majima I played pool against a hostess. I thought 'cool, haven't tried this yet'. Then the absolute madwoman sunk 3 on the breakshot, proceeded to pot 2 more and almost snooker me. All before I'd picked up my cue. Darts was virtually the same, turns out that I hired Phil Taylor in a dress and never realised.

And what the fuck is this catfighting shit. Sure it's quirky but you just watch your fighter get rekt in a game of rock-paper-scissors... now I finally know how the other guy felt in the 'super hot fire' video. How do you manage to make a catfighting minigame infuriating?! 

I'd rather spend 10 minutes playing Gwent than 10 hours playing all this shit. 

Cheeky edit to clue some people in: I made this post after a long day of work and then a few hours of getting progressively more annoyed at a minigame that seemed way more difficult than it should be. It is basically a cathartic vent-session because I felt like blowing off some verbal steam. I'm 90+ hours into this game, I really like it. So please, if you read this and immediately drew your keyboard from its sheath, and prepared to ride to the rescue of this game, know that you are boring, your opinion is probably boring and I would love for you to not share it here. It's a free world, but this forum post clearly isn't for you. So piss off. 

Edited by JEDLander
  • Like 1

Dude wtf is this Isobe bitch? The game takes this way too seriously. I got 7400 odd on Hard, a solid 3-star, I made about two mistakes. She got almost 1000 more than me. Why are they taking this shitty disco minigame so seriously? Just make a 3-star score enough for the win so that I can finish the story ffs 

38 minutes ago, JEDLander said:

Dude wtf is this Isobe bitch? The game takes this way too seriously. I got 7400 odd on Hard, a solid 3-star, I made about two mistakes. She got almost 1000 more than me. Why are they taking this shitty disco minigame so seriously? Just make a 3-star score enough for the win so that I can finish the story ffs 

Most people hate the disco minigame and find it difficult so you're not alone on this. However, for some reason I'm actually really good at it. Managed to beat isobe first try and also have almost 9000 points on the song she chooses, for some unexplainable reason the disco minigame was my highlight of the game. What almost makes me wanna pull my hair out though are the arcade games and climax battles, fantasy zone was an absolute nightmare to complete.

I actually think the game took the completion list a bit too far. There is a shit ton of grinding, rng and luck involved  to a point where completing the game just becomes a chore to play. It actually made me question myself if I should go on with it just for some trophies.

• Like 1

Just now, xDerErnst said:

You dont have to 3 star them twice as far as i know.

3- staring them is easy. You need about 6k points to 3 star them on hard. These NPC's get about 8200 minimum. You need to be almost input-perfect, it's actually shambolic, I have no idea why they took this shit so seriously. Both Kiryu and Majima have these utterly miserable disco substories that some lazy wanker decided to copy and paste just to ruin everybody's day

Here's my tip: play more rhythm games, they are super fun and once you get on them, minigames like karaoke and disco will mean nothing. You could even beat Miracle Johnson if you try! (no, you can't)

1 minute ago, Katt said:

Here's my tip: play more rhythm games, they are super fun and once you get on them, minigames like karaoke and disco will mean nothing. You could even beat Miracle Johnson if you try! (no, you can't)

This is actually what the devs utterly and completely failed to comprehend here. If I wanted to play a rhythm game, I'd go and play one. I don't want to do that. They're miserably frustrating. What I want to do is spend a minimal amount of time playing a rhythm minigame that happens to be in my open-world-ish story game. They scores that they demand are just fucking unreasonable. Just make a 3-star score enough for the win ffs get the poles out of your arses

I had an easier time with disco when I moved closer to my TV which made seeing the notes better. Having all the flashing lights with the transparent background made it harder than it really is. That catfight mini-game is just RNG though, and made worse when you fight one of the opponents that even if you beat them there's a chance they can just get back up and beat you anyway. Kiwami made it a bit better by having different cards you can select of the girls and they can be higher rank than the other. If I also remember right it doesn't have that move I mentioned where the opponent can just get up and decide you lose. Either way I remember having a better time with it in Kiwami.

I think overall the least frustrating minigame in Yakuza 0 is probably Pocket Circuit since it isn't as RNG heavy and mostly just depends on how well you build your car. But yeah, a lot of the minigames in Yakuza 0 and the series in general can feel like a mixed bag where they wind up being more frustrating than you think they would for different reasons. Pool for example has AI opponents that can perform constant trick shots with almost no issue whatsoever meanwhile if you nudge the stick slightly wrong you wind up missing your shots which means the opponent will then proceed to walk all over you. If you think it's bad in Yakuza 0 just you wait until Yakuza 3.

As far as the rhythm games go I think it's just a matter of getting used to the timing. I had a difficult time at first but I think as I played each game they became a lot easier and I looked forward to playing the songs they had.

Finally finished the Disco shit. Now on to the telephone club. Turns out there's absolutely no variety here, every time it's exactly the same and the person you meet is random so you have to do it far more times than you should ever need to. Let's go ahead and file this under yet another minigame done poorly. Can't wait to see what other tedious shit I have in store to waste my time.

10 hours ago, xDerErnst said:

Instead of complaining you should maybe just stop playing if it's this bad for you. You don't have to plat every single game you come across. Use your time to play something you actually enjoy. 

Listen to this fool. If I sacked it off now then the time I spent doing the disco shit would be wasted.

1 hour ago, xDerErnst said:

Then stop fucking complaining you crybaby when it's your decision to keep playing.

Man I'm sorry, I didn't know I'd challenged a keyboard warrior.

I choose to vent some frustration on a forum. Then I beat the game. You choose to get upset at people venting frustration. Might want to take a little look closer to home when you're telling people to stop complaining buddy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JEDLander said:

Man I'm sorry, I didn't know I'd challenged a keyboard warrior.

I choose to vent some frustration on a forum. Then I beat the game. You choose to get upset at people venting frustration. Might want to take a little look closer to home when you're telling people to stop complaining buddy.

What exactly do you think this achieves? Nothing. Let me get one thing straight: if you think that disco and telephone club was annoying you didn't even see the worst stuff yet. The best thing you can do is just stop because it's only getting more tedious.

On 14/10/2020 at 1:06 AM, JEDLander said:

Somebody had to say it.

Seriously what's the point in having 26 minigames if only a few of them actually manage to be fun? Sure they all *look* fun. Until you actually go to play them in any kind of serious capacity. Virtually all of them have overly-fiddly or counter-intuitive controls. Pool, darts, bowling, disco etc. have all been done many times before and far better in many other games, and heavenly LORD forbid you ever have to compete with an NPC. Yakuza 0 holds this shit sacred for some reason, you can be churning out 3-star disco dances, make very few mistakes, then look across and oh the NPC just came in with a cool 1500 more points than you. Awesome. I'm not saying 'let me win' I'm saying 'Idgaf about this minigame so maybe if I get a CP-worthy score you could just let me carry on with the substory'?

As Majima I played pool against a hostess. I thought 'cool, haven't tried this yet'. Then the absolute madwoman sunk 3 on the breakshot, proceeded to pot 2 more and almost snooker me. All before I'd picked up my cue. Darts was virtually the same, turns out that I hired Phil Taylor in a dress and never realised.

And what the fuck is this catfighting shit. Sure it's quirky but you just watch your fighter get rekt in a game of rock-paper-scissors... now I finally know how the other guy felt in the 'super hot fire' video. How do you manage to make a catfighting minigame infuriating?! 

I'd rather spend 10 minutes playing Gwent than 10 hours playing all this shit. 

Mini games are really good. You are complaining about the AI difficulty, not the mini games. 

2 hours ago, xDerErnst said:

What exactly do you think this achieves? Nothing. Let me get one thing straight: if you think that disco and telephone club was annoying you didn't even see the worst stuff yet. The best thing you can do is just stop because it's only getting more tedious.

It's cathartic. Speaking of achieving things, I'm gonna go ahead and not quit.

2 hours ago, Carttagos said:

Mini games are really good. You are complaining about the AI difficulty, not the mini games. 

Hm. Kind of. It's kinda like the AI is so proficient that it makes the minigames annoying