PS4 system software update 8.00 launching today

Ghost

9 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

Can anyone who has updated recently confirm if they’ve experienced the app bloating issues mentioned earlier in the thread? (Ex: an app that was 60 GB before is now 90 GB)?

Wondering if I need to uninstall some larger games I’m not currently playing to be safe. 

I deleted some stuff yesterday to be safe but none of the larger games like DOOM I still have downloaded have changed. Also the game mentioned before was the borderlands collection, (which I chose to delete as I don't even have PS+ to access it anymore anyway) but I noticed that for me it was 41gb not 60. Not sure if the person who posted that was guesstimating the old filesize or if there's something strange with that game in particular! :P

• Like 1

My system was close to 800 GB too before the update as well. I decided to delete a few games that I likely wasn’t going to start for at least a couple months just to be safe. 

I’m glad I did. My system was at 661.6 GB before the update. It’s now at 743.5 GB. 

The most annoying part is none of my game file sizes seem to have changed. There’s 82.05 GB labeled as “Other” that I seemingly can’t delete. ? 

Just looked it up and seems I have to clear out notifications for this bloat to go away...ugh. 

Edit: Just went through notifications and can’t find any failed installs or anything installed that shouldn’t be. Anything else I can do? 

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y
Autocorrect being annoying

13 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

My system was close to 800 GB used before the update as well. I decided to delete a few games that I likely wasn’t going to start for at least a couple months just to be safe. 

I’m glad I did. My system was at 661.6 GB before the update. It’s now at 743.5 GB. 

The most annoying part is none of my game file sizes seem to have changed. There’s 82.05 GB labeled as “Other” that I seemingly can’t delete. ? 

Just looked it up and seems I have to clear out notifications for this bloat to go away...ugh. 

Edit: Just went through notifications and can’t find any failed installs or anything installed that shouldn’t be. Anything else I can do? 

Weird. I just checked mine and my 'other' only totals 101mb. I have 5 pieces of DLC for cold steel III pending install so I guess that's what mine is. Do you have any alt accounts? Maybe it's something tied to one of them? No idea what it could be though...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

My system was close to 800 GB used before the update as well. I decided to delete a few games that I likely wasn’t going to start for at least a couple months just to be safe. 

The most annoying part is none of my game file sizes seem to have changed. There’s 82.05 GB labeled as “Other” that I seemingly can’t delete. 1f611.png 

You tried cleaning all of your Notifications? (not just downloads)

Your comment made me check if I had "Others" tab and I don't, and the free space stayed exactly the same before and after the update.

But I also compulsively delete notifications every time they pop up, so I never ever have notifications active... maybe that's why?

Edited by SnizelPS

19 minutes ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

My system was close to 800 GB too before the update as well. I decided to delete a few games that I likely wasn’t going to start for at least a couple months just to be safe. 

Do you have an external HDD? Ever since I got one about 2-3 years ago now I also have a few gigabytes of "other" on both my HDDs. I think it may be due to DLC or updates for a game installing on the hard drive where the game itself isn't installed.

3 minutes ago, SnizelPS said:

You tried cleaning all of your Notifications? (not just downloads)

Your comment made me check if I had "Others" tab and I don't, and the free space stayed exactly the same before and after the update.

But I also compulsively delete notifications every time they pop up, so I never ever have notifications active... maybe that's why?

I also obsessively delete notifications so that could be important. The 'others' section is at the bottom of applications. As in you click on apps and then scroll below all your games, just incase you didn't already know that :P

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimbob12345678 said:

I also obsessively delete notifications so that could be important. The 'others' section is at the bottom of applications. As in you click on apps and then scroll below all your games, just incase you didn't already know that :P

Holy shit haha...

Now I feel dumb.

Well, at least it's only 150Mb for me.

27 minutes ago, jimbob12345678 said:

Weird. I just checked mine and my 'other' only totals 101mb. I have 5 pieces of DLC for cold steel III pending install so I guess that's what mine is. Do you have any alt accounts? Maybe it's something tied to one of them? No idea what it could be though...

I feel dumb now. Mine was updates for two large MMORPGs. ? Other folder is now down to 106.1 MB (have no clue what that is, but not super worried about it) and my storage is now at 662.1 GB. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shai_sr12345 said:

Already choose. I choose the half good half bad version of jak as the avatar picture. One of the BEST from the jak & Daxter Avatars that was added

That's one of the repeats. The better version of that avatar was released 8yrs ago. The original and especially UK version are superior. Every avatar repeat Sony have made with this update are inferior to their original versions.

Can't shake the feeling any odd changes to parties (I think the process is a bit slower and cumbersome now) and other similar things, are probably Sony getting the PS4 in line with whatever had to change for the backend to get the PS5 working the way it will.  Like the PS5 will probably be pretty slick, but their options to get the PS4 up to speed was probably either to overhaul a bunch of features in the PS4 UI... or to kinda sloppily add/change a few steps in the process to bridge the gap.  And they went with the latter.

I don't think Sony really likes the idea of properly supporting the old systems.  When it comes to the growing pains in evolving processes for a next gen console, their answer seems to be throwing some band-aids on the current gen as needed (or just not updating it at all).

I don't even dislike the approach necessarily, since I plan on getting a PS5 ASAP anyways and I like that the next gen feels brand new without a lot of resources being pumped into keeping the PS3 or PS4 going.  Where Xbox sounds like they're going to try and support the Xbox One forever, which they have a stronger foundation to do so IMO but it will eventually start holding new games/features back (if it isn't already).  But that's gotta be a kick in the teeth to people who buy their games digitally and honestly believe Sony won't find a way to shut down the store and your access to downloads on legacy consoles as soon as they can.

Edited by Dreakon13

17 hours ago, TheVengeance1231 said:

Is 8.01 out?

Is update 8.00 safe now?

No. I updated to 8.00 today and played DXMD Breach (online mode), and it seemed fine. I could see my friends and sync trophies. :)

9 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

So it's fixed?

Can I safely update now?

I updated to 8.00 today and played DXMD Breach (online mode), and it seemed fine. I could see my friends and sync trophies. :)

9 hours ago, TimeLordCrow13y said:

I believe you can never delete "others". And I always leave it there.

On 15/10/2020 at 5:42 AM, danceswithsloths said:

The original message that started this, states that other users may record you, and submit that recording to Sony. Changing your voice sharing settings prevents this from happening. That is why I am telling people they can change that setting.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/16/details-on-new-voice-chat-functionality-coming-to-ps5/

"Once the PS5 console launches, if a PS5 player needs to file a harassment report, they will be able to include up to a 40 second-long Voice Chat clip in their report — 20 seconds of the main conversation with the other player, plus an additional 10 seconds before and after the conversation selection. Only the most recent five minutes of a Voice Chat will be available for a player to use for this reporting function.

There won’t be an option to opt-out of this Voice Chat recording function because we want all users to feel safe when playing with others online, not just those who choose to enable it."

You were saying? Lol. 

54 minutes ago, Azaan60 said:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/16/details-on-new-voice-chat-functionality-coming-to-ps5/

"Once the PS5 console launches, if a PS5 player needs to file a harassment report, they will be able to include up to a 40 second-long Voice Chat clip in their report — 20 seconds of the main conversation with the other player, plus an additional 10 seconds before and after the conversation selection. Only the most recent five minutes of a Voice Chat will be available for a player to use for this reporting function.

There won’t be an option to opt-out of this Voice Chat recording function because we want all users to feel safe when playing with others online, not just those who choose to enable it."

You were saying? Lol. 

When I made my comment, this had not been announced yet so yes, I was saying. Lol.

We did not receive any information about these new changes until today. Based off of the information we had yesterday, I would absolutely still assume that changing your voice share setting would prevent other people from recording you. Because up until today, we had zero (0) information stating this could happen. And it's actually still not even happining currently, this will be a PS5 feature.

I'm absolutely willing to admit that I was incorrect, now that we have complete information. 

I like how your comment is just drenched in pettiness though.

Edited by danceswithsloths
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, danceswithsloths said:

When I made my comment, this had not been announced yet so yes, I was saying. Lol.

We did not receive any information about these new changes until today. Based off of the information we had yesterday, I would absolutely still assume that changing your voice share setting would prevent other people from recording you. Because up until today, we had zero (0) information stating this could happen. And it's actually still not even happining currently, this will be a PS5 feature.

I'm absolutely willing to admit that I was incorrect, now that we have complete information. 

I like how your comment is just drenched in pettiness though.

Alright my bad lol. I apologise. I saw an opportunity to brag and I took it. 

My worry about this whole thing is how Sony's gonna enforce it. 

Their moderating team is extremely anal and even minor G rated words such as "moron" are enough for you to catch a week ban. 

Getting banned also means you lose access to your entire digital library, you can't even play the games you've bought. Anyone with a Digital PS5 is screwed. 

The biggest issue is that the Moderation team isn't contactable. All bans are final and irreversible. There is no appeal process. You get banned, that's it deal with it. Hell they don't even tell you what you said that got you banned. There's countless stories of people getting banned for trivial things, like the guys who's real name was "Jihad" and named his PSN account after his real name, which lead to him getting banned. He had to contact Sony's upper management and multiple gaming journalism websites before he finally got unbanned. 

The fact that your entire digital library can be destroyed by a random intern on the Sony moderating team with absolutely no way to contact them is scary. Hense why I'm kinda defensive on this topic. 

• Like 2

It was impossible to ignore the massive backlash over the party system changes, so PlayStation has listened and will look into it.

We can hope that the old system comes back, but you shouldn’t expect that the PS5 feature for party members to report vocal abuses against the PSN ToS will go away. This feature is here to stay, for better or worse.

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 1