[SOLVED] Your voice can be recorded in Parties for moderation purposes

bosstristan

1 hour ago, bosstristan said:

Nothing that should matter to anyone, but I don't want to suddenly be banned because I swore or something.

Common sense need apply in these cases. Let’s say 50% of people (use your own % as you wish) have cursed while in a party chat.  Yes, Sony is looking to cut its user base by 50% (or whatever % you choose).  ?

1 hour ago, yowzagabowza said:

Right, so you're cool with Apple or Verizon or Google T-Mobile or Facebook randomly listening to anything you might say? It's their network, after all...

Umm, Sony is not randomly listening in.  But if anything criminal or nefarious is reported, you better believe they have access to it, same as those companies you mentioned.

Edited by djb5f

16 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It actually does concern me. 

So you are just less concerned than some of the people here? I definitely did not get the impression that you were concerned at all based on what you wrote about it so far, quite the opposite actually given that it sounded to me like you were mocking that other guy about his "overreaction", but obviously I can be wrong about these things. Listen, all I want is to know as many details as possible about who can and will listen to my private conversations, when they will do it and with what excuse, and the risks this change can have for me and others, if you understand that then we do not really have a problem with each other as far as I am concerned.

To satisfy your curiosity why I might be bothered though, I swear a LOT when I am in a group with people I know, and they do too, that is just how we interact with each other, there is no malicious intent behind it, but moderators on any possible platform are often allergic to context so if they get to apply their increasingly sensitive ruleset to these conversations, then I basically have to completely alter my way of talking with my friends online, or risk my account getting banned for dropping too many fuck bombs, and both options do not sound like something I am ready to do so changing ways of communication would be my reaction to that. I wanna know whether thats necessary or not, and I don't know about you but I personally did not feel that has been answered by just reading their policies.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nighcisama said:

Great argument. Only people who have something suspicious to hide would be bothered with random people being able to listen to everything they talk about with others, that flawed way of thinking was never used to justify systematically spying on people at all. Is it too much to ask to at least know all the details of the dick they want us to swallow? Not all of us can casually and completely deactivate our gag reflex like some of you, nor are we willing to.

Thank you, good to see some people stay alert.

16 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

So you are just less concerned than some of the people here?

I’m less concerned with whether someone will count how many profanities I can string together into one sentence and more concerned with the bigger picture of data retention on customers and how that’s monetized. I have a lot of concerns when companies openly admit to doing the recording themselves and have no information on the duration of holding the recording nor who they’re sharing it with or what they’ll do with it.

Obviosuly they're not gonna have moderators randomly listening on your party chat. They're gonna run it through an AI to detect any hot words or phrases. Only then will it be sent to the moderators for further investigation. Just don't talk about drugs or any other criminal activities (that's what Telegram is for :P) and you'll be fine.

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

Common sense need apply in these cases. Let’s say 50% of people (use your own % as you wish) have cursed while in a party chat.  Yes, Sony is looking to cut its user base by 50% (or whatever % you choose).  ?

Umm, Sony is not randomly listening in.  But if anything criminal or nefarious is reported, you better believe they have access to it, same as those companies you mentioned.

dude why are you making post after post taking up for sony.  You're like maybe we got criminal behavior on there.  That is all a load of bull.   this is for people to feel safe.  to curb potential bullying.   etc.  Nothing more and I really don't see why people can't just take it upon theirselves to leave a party if they feel uncomfortable.  Wouldn't that make more sense?  Why is it I have to potentially have my voice recorded without my knowing and passed on to a higher authority for review..   Seriously you think this is all ok.  You'd fit right in someplace like china where you have no privacy or rights.

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

dude why are you making post after post taking up for sony.  You're like maybe we got criminal behavior on there.  That is all a load of bull.   this is for people to feel safe.  to curb potential bullying.   etc.  Nothing more and I really don't see why people can't just take it upon theirselves to leave a party if they feel uncomfortable.  Wouldn't that make more sense?  Why is it I have to potentially have my voice recorded without my knowing and passed on to a higher authority for review..   Seriously you think this is all ok.  You'd fit right in someplace like china where you have no privacy or rights.

I just see a lot of overreaction (welcome to the internet I know).  Nothing is changing materially from what is already there.  If you are worried about breaking TOS or cyber bullying, we already have group (text or voice) chats or messages where people can report you.  

If you really think anything you are doing puts you at risk (I highly doubt it), well then you are a douchebag making terroristic threats or spamming the n-word or f-word.  You do you though...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

I just see a lot of overreaction (welcome to the internet I know).  Nothing is changing materially from what is already there.  If you are worried about breaking TOS or cyber bullying, we already have group (text or voice) chats or messages where people can report you.  

If you really think anything you are doing puts you at risk (I highly doubt it), well then you are a douchebag making terroristic threats or spamming the n-word or f-word.  You do you though...

to be quite honest man you have no idea what concerns varying people may have.  I have concerns that have nothing to do with terror threats or racial slurs or anything similar.  Sony has a track record of banning people for a lot less than racial slurs or terror threats from messaging.  It doesn't take much one f bomb will do it.   My advice man is if you are having trouble in parties find new friends or don't join parties that upset you.  everybody shouldn't have to be on edge about what they say because a few people might be delicate in nature and can't man up and take a joke or whatever.  Just because the phone company did it doesn't mean we have to accept Sony doing it.  Just because it's happened in the past with other technology doesn't mean we should all give up on our privacy.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

to be quite honest man you have no idea what concerns varying people may have.  I have concerns that have nothing to do with terror threats or racial slurs or anything similar.  Sony has a track record of banning people for a lot less than racial slurs or terror threats from messaging.  It doesn't take much one f bomb will do it.   My advice man is if you are having trouble in parties find new friends or don't join parties that upset you.  everybody shouldn't have to be on edge about what they say because a few people might be delicate in nature and can't man up and take a joke or whatever.  Just because the phone company did it doesn't mean we have to accept Sony doing it.  Just because it's happened in the past with other technology doesn't mean we should all give up on our privacy.  

you are not getting banned for an f-bomb or several.  They would have to ban half their user base for cursing (lol) or maybe more.  There is a lot of unwarranted anxiety on the forum (probably par for the course here). 

8 minutes ago, djb5f said:

you are not getting banned for an f-bomb or several.  They would have to ban half their user base for cursing (lol) or maybe more.  There is a lot of unwarranted anxiety on the forum (probably par for the course here). 

you can absolutely get suspended for and f-bomb and I know people who have and you can absolutely get banned for multiple offenses over a period of time.  

your talking about something you know nothing about evidently it doesn't take much to get a suspension form Sony.  half the user base doesn't get reported.  Those that do usually face consequences.  

• Like 1

This has been a thing since 2013. Sony probably should of just left it buried in their terms of service that no one reads (myself included). Over on Twitter and all over social media some are saying they are jumping to Xbox over this but what they don’t realize, Xbox does the same stuff ?. 

Anyways, I do understand many people’s concern with privacy. Like most have stated in this thread, they’re not randomly listening. I’m more concerned with the new party system. I absolutely hate it.

Edited by NeMeSiS850
Typo
  • Like 1

talking shit is one thing, but shit like drug smuggling terrorism or whatever, death threats will be taken seriously enough if someone ever reported you. you may get trolls trying to abuse it somehow but I imagine it will be obvious and not exactly something you would just walk into. nothing to worry about really.

• Like 1

this shouldn't be a shock. Where we are at in the world with technology,  government would want to listen to everything. Sony would etc. Besides, if some knob online harasses someone over a voice chat, maybe it's nice to have recorded audio, especially with people targeting kids online.... im not surprised. I also rarely ever use voice or party chat, so i also don't care

• Like 4

I’m curious to know how this plays out for people who are in parties with someone who gets reported. How can Sony differentiate my voice from the person who is violating the rules? Does this go back to Sony always having listened to us from the beginning?

I’m only concerned about censorship here. If we start getting suspended for swearing then I’m screwed because (a) I have a mouth that lives in the gutter (b) I’m constantly in parties with people who are immeasurably worse than I.

they have been able to do this since ps4 was released. they log every single thing you do. your messages, your play time, everything. thats why at the end of the year everyone got those emails saying what the longest hours you put into a game was. because every single thing you do is logged by sony. its no different then as far back as the aol days everything in chat rooms and messenger was logged. text messages on your phone even if you delete them from your phone they are saved in a data base. and i think most know same goes for twitter and facebook. im willing to be they even had this technology on ps3. sony owns the world. they have their hand in anything you can think of. i was in the music business and they own tons of record label under different names. they own tvs, camcorders, music, movies, you name it they own it lol