[SOLVED] Your voice can be recorded in Parties for moderation purposes

bosstristan

4 minutes ago, Kesme63 said:

I don't think that people who bully or insult getting banned is that crazy.

No one is arguing this. That was never the point, why are you changing premises?

Locked houses and cars get broken into also. What do you do then if you've done all in your power to prevent theft and it still happened? It is also Sony's job to secure their service which includes looking onto people who break their terms of service which I am sure includes bullying and insulting other players and if people recording voice chats and reporting other users helps them, I don't see where's the harm.

Man, I get the feeling you really don't want to understand and argue just for argueing sake.

Securing your car would equal to leave the party here. But you already deny to leave the party, so the person wouldn't have done all in their power if they don't leave, you really shouldn't argue like that, if you are serious.

But, if you secure your car and it gets stolen regardless, THEN you have the right to get replacement from the insurance. So you're really argueing my case here, thanks I guess.

If you leave the party, and they somehow follow you and continue to insult you, obviously that is several steps further and we'd have a completely different scenario than what was discussed here.

You are either not understanding what's the point here or you are deliberately prolonging the discussion with nonsense. Either way, that's really all I have to say about it.

1 hour ago, Nighcisama said:

Dick related metaphors tend to be the most effective in my experience, and they are easy enough to understand, win win :eyebrow:

Who says a mastered gag reflex is a bad thing anyways? ?

1 hour ago, Nighcisama said:

It wasn't that many cases in the 90s and early 2000s when I was in school, but yeah I know people who had their teeth shattered, bones broken, property destroyed and one girl who had her usb stick with private nude photos stolen, which were then printed and distributed all over the school leading to all sorts of trouble for most people involved, any bullying victim during that time would have been thankful if all they had to deal with was online insults they could mute or block at any given second.

I think anyone suggesting mild online insults need to be moderated is a bit misguided... but I don't think that's necessarily what this is for.  Sony probably doesn't want to spend hours/days/weeks/months sifting through voice recordings of kids calling eachother "butt munchers" as much as you don't want them listening to it, but IMO it's not a bad tool to have when things really do get out of hand.

On the topic of bullying, like I've said before I think bullying these days is much more mental... which is probably a tough thing for kids who aren't very mentally developed yet as it is.  The internet (and the things people say/do on it) follows you everywhere, which wasn't really an issue back in the day.  Not to say people aren't way too soft these days and people don't take a mile for every inch society gives towards sensitivity, but comparing the kids who were gang beaten in the 80's (the worst case scenario short of murder) to "mean words online" is a bit disingenuous.  There's likely a bit more to the story when you hear of kids really taking taking seemingly innocuous things too poorly.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

They always could. Friends could always record you

2 hours ago, Noskillzpro407 said:

Mate you could record parties way before this update.

Not always. I think, there is (was?) an option to block recording your voice by other party members, as well as broadcasting your voice from party during streaming. Of course, technically friends could still use capture devices to record everyone in the party regardless of those privacy settings, but that’s not the same as the ability to record without restrictions on PlayStation itself.

5 hours ago, Infernopommes said:

Are you calling me uneducated? You are giving me the impression that you are looking down at me because you know about something that I don't. That's some potential bullying right there and could prevent me from asking questions in the future to learn more if I don't understand something.

But I guess it's okay when YOU do it.

EDIT:

In all seriousness though, comparing bullying to joining a random party, hearing two sentences and leaving is a bit much. As for kids, it's the responsibility of parents to explain and control what they do on the internet (depending on which age we're talking about).

No Im not, you can be very educated and not know about these stuff. Its not something you learn in school, you gotta see it. So Im sorry if you took it like that, guess I could have written it in some other way.

And of course parents gotta be responsible for their kids behaviour and what they do online but they cant see everything

9 hours ago, xDerErnst said:

I never said that. If these people decide to kill themselves over an internet argument they probably shouldn't play in the first place and instead work on their mental health. I know I may sound insensitive but getting this worked up over an asshole on the internet isn't normal. 

Yep.

I don't consider being insulted by strangers on the internet as bullying. I don't. Maybe it's because of my age, but I feel that I am in control of who I interact with on these websites.

I've been ridiculed and put down by people who have never met me numerous times. Just block or put them on ignore. Get on with your day.

Doxxing is different because online trolling then gravitates to real life bullying and harassment. You shouldn't bring other people's family members in an online beef, in my book.

Edited by thepeaguy83

I’ll give all you guys a fact about myself. I’m half White, half Filipino. I’m obviously mixed. In the 1990s and early 2000s growing up I was a victim of bullying, because I had darker skin than most kids in my class. I went to a school that was basically 90 - 95 percent Caucasian, so obviously, some of those kids knew who to pick on. 

Fortunately I never was a victim of serious bullying as my school was very small, so any kid caught bullying to a large degree was going to get suspended and eventually expelled. 

I believe the problem today is a general lack of education regarding cyber bullying, and the steps necessary to avoid it. On the flip side, I feel many kids today are far too sensitive. Are the parents responsible? To a degree, because kids are paranoid about enough shit. 

I’m 32 years old and seeing petty cyber bullying doesn’t bother me anymore. Now if I come across a Donald Trump supporter, or a radical who is going to attack me because my views don’t coincide on their own, then I’m simply going to put the block button on them and move on with my life. 

I cannot say the same for many kids of today. Truthfully I think I was the last generation of kids who got to really experience the world before the internet changed everything.

Every kid nowadays is being told to adapt and live in the digital world. My nephew and niece who live not far from me have most of everything done online, schoolwork, homework, everything. That’s not because of COVID-19, that’s the world we live in today. When I was their age the internet was barely off its legs, with things like dial-up and America Online (You Got Mail!) being the only real means of access. Now you got kids as young as 4 - 5 on their parents smartphones accessing the internet, and this presents a serious problem. 

I feel that in America we don’t educate our kids well. In the past, it wasn’t teaching them to prepare for the real world. Now in addition to that they’re not being educated in how to handle the internet.

I can see kids aged 10 - 12 today playing on their PS4, stumble into a Call of Duty lobby, and being chewed out for playing poorly, despite being minors. That can leave a lasting mental effect on the kids, and from past experience I’ve heard some really cruel things being said on voice chat.

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I can see kids aged 10 - 12 today playing on their PS4, stumble into a Call of Duty lobby

If only there was some sort of age restriction for games. But yeah, it's not the parents' fault if they let their kid play a shooter for adults, we just need to teach everyone to be friendly instead, it's so obvious.

Just now, Infernopommes said:

If only there was some sort of age restriction for games. But yeah, it's not the parents' fault if they let their kid play a shooter for adults, we just need to teach everyone to be friendly instead, it's so obvious.

You'll be surprised how many kids out there play M rated games. Different countries have different rating systems, but last I checked someone who looks awfully young needs to be an appropriate age and an ID when they check out those games at a store. 

Of course, there are ways around that. But they’re kids, and they’re not going to understand cyber bullying. I didn’t understand it either but back then we didn’t have the internet following us everywhere. 

It’s a world that many parents have failed to educate them on.

It may be on the ToS but they are now announcing it, so it may be used more. I'm going to miss the banter (I don't participate, but it was madly entertaining to hear it).

The only thing I want is for Sony to stop the phishing accounts that spam me every week! And I still want to get messages from randoms that I play with that want to be friends or boost

3 hours ago, Radgeck said:

It may be on the ToS but they are now announcing it, so it may be used more. I'm going to miss the banter (I don't participate, but it was madly entertaining to hear it).

The only thing I want is for Sony to stop the phishing accounts that spam me every week! And I still want to get messages from randoms that I play with that want to be friends or boost

I don't want this to cater to the cancel culture snowflakes out there. Too many fucking SJWs willing to cry woof when something doesn't go their way.

Proper moderation is necessary. But don't try to censor things to the point where people can't have fun. I strongly doubt Sony will give a shit about most parties, since I wouldn't think they'd care about a bunch of people in chat talking smack to each other as long as nobody reports them for harassment.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I don't want this to cater to the cancel culture snowflakes out there. Too many fucking SJWs willing to cry woof when something doesn't go their way.

Proper moderation is necessary. But don't try to censor things to the point where people can't have fun. I strongly doubt Sony will give a shit about most parties, since I wouldn't think they'd care about a bunch of people in chat talking smack to each other as long as nobody reports them for harassment.

d

4 hours ago, Infernopommes said:

exactly, it's been a problem for decades how stupid parents are with video games

Edited by NOWITSREYNTIME17

On 10/14/2020 at 11:20 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

BREAKING NEWS: BANANAS NOW YELLOW!

They always could. Friends could always record you, sony could always use that for verification. Nothing has changed, aside from your level of awareness.

Bingo. Maybe don't accept a corporation's draconian ToS to begin with if it bothers you; this is standard stuff.

54 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

The popcorn I ate reading this thread was delicious, just thought you should all know that.

You ain't kiddin'. I'm getting pretty old, but if I ever become a "back in my day things were different; damned kids!" blowhard, please ban me.

• Like 1