How is the game now?

VoidVictorious

On 10/17/2020 at 4:27 PM, VoidVictorious said:

Is it really a 10/10 because of difficulty though or just time involved?

The problem with this game is that because of death medals, it's a little difficult to separate difficulty and time. Death medals are the premium currency in this game, and can be used for a few things, mainly for expanding your storage space, purchasing items in the vending machine in your base, and for instantly reviving when you die in the tower. I've never paid a cent for this game, but over the two and a half years I've been playing I've gotten over 200 of them from login bonuses, quests, team fights, etc. 

I took advantage of this month's 3 free revive bonus to finally conquer the last two Forcemen I needed for "The Nightmare is Over" trophy, and I can say that even with the free revives, if it wasn't for death medals I never would have beaten them. I could maybe get good enough to beat Black Thunder without death medals, but Pale Wind is incredibly cheap. I've never gotten lucky enough to get the Payback sticker, so I had to go with the much riskier machete method, and I must have used a dozen death medals over the course of the fight.

You're going to need a lot of SP Lithium to upgrade weapons and armor, and the easiest way to get it is through a weekly quest. You then have to spend it or be a juicy target for people who want to raid your base and steal it from you. But then for the Impregnable Fortress trophy, you need to be a juicy enough target to get people to invade you, so you need to balance how much progress you want to make with how much risk you're willing to take. And on the other side, you need to do enough invasions yourself to capture 100 fighters, and that will also take you a very, very long time.

So to get back around to answering your question, I think that with enough time and patience (and/or some money to purchase death medals), a good player will be able to push through and get 100% in this game. But this is a free-to-play game that's been out for nearly 4 years now, and if I had to put down money I'd say we've already passed the halfway point in this game's lifespan. You've got a pretty high completion percentage, so I'm guessing that's important to you. My recommendation to you would be to skip this game and pick up a Soulsbourne instead.

• Like 1

On 17-10-2020 at 10:27 PM, VoidVictorious said:

Is it really a 10/10 because of difficulty though or just time involved?

Guide writer for both guides here with over 4000 hours of experience and still playing to this day.

Yep, its pretty much the same. I'd say it has become a tiny bit easier cuz since the release of Tengoku (end game content) because you can get stronger fighters, which will make stuff like the jackals easier, but on the flipside this means TDM is much harder cuz people are gonna have stronger end game fighters and gear. If you are going for the DLC trophy as well u are looking at about 300 hours minimum of time investment.

I highly recommend joining the Let It Die discord if u need help with anything. We are a friendly, tight community. If u stream it on twitch theres also a bunch of people giving advice and stuff. I don't mind helping you there either, just look or ask for Gr4de. Almost everyone knows me. im on psnprofiles only once a month or so these days cuz im just waiting for ps5.

Also, right now theres the Uncle Death Super Pack DLC for FREE in the store. but this will be removed after October 26th as part of a campaign they are doing. This DLC has a very strong usefull weapon in it though which is immediately granted and can be crafted straight away. This will very easily carry you all the way to 41F. So i recommend grabbing this if you read this comment in time.
PS: some people have reported not finding this DLC in the store at all. This is a fault on the publisher's side. but if u use the ps store in-game or search for ''uncle'' on the ps store it pops up.

On 19-10-2020 at 5:05 PM, Gethron said:

I took advantage of this month's 3 free revive bonus to finally conquer the last two Forcemen I needed for "The Nightmare is Over" trophy, and I can say that even with the free revives, if it wasn't for death medals I never would have beaten them. I could maybe get good enough to beat Black Thunder without death medals, but Pale Wind is incredibly cheap. I've never gotten lucky enough to get the Payback sticker, so I had to go with the much riskier machete method, and I must have used a dozen death medals over the course of the fight.

No offense but if you needed a dozen death metals and 3 daily free revives then you are very, very underequipped my friend. Either uncap your fighter with roids more or upgrade your gear. Pale WInd is hard, yes. But you are making him sound way worse then he is. You shouldn't need a single revive on him. Maybe 1, perhaps 2 with shit luck. But not 15.

On 19-10-2020 at 5:05 PM, Gethron said:

You're going to need a lot of SP Lithium to upgrade weapons and armor, and the easiest way to get it is through a weekly quest.

Just raiding people is way faster and way easier. weekly quest will only net you like 50K. can easily do that in 1 or 2 raids (3-5 minutes) in plat or diamond.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gamesfourever said:

No offense but if you needed a dozen death metals and 3 daily free revives then you are very, very underequipped my friend. Either uncap your fighter with roids more or upgrade your gear. Pale WInd is hard, yes. But you are making him sound way worse then he is. You shouldn't need a single revive on him. Maybe 1, perhaps 2 with shit luck. But not 15.

Is there always something more to grind in this game? Yes, and that's why the time investment contributes to the difficulty of the game. Could I have put in a few extra months hoping to luck out and get the death roids I needed, or buying them from the vending machine with the piddling bloodnium Tengoku gives out? Of course. But I decided to end the nightmare and get it done in one night by spending my cache of death medals I'd gotten for free from just playing the game. 

• Like 1

They've made the grind easier to an extent because there are days during the week where you have guaranteed metal vendors but you still need to grind out the KC from Haters to afford those and you still need to spend hours doing it to upgrade things.

Mushrooms were nerfed into the ground significantly from launch. Fun Fungus is almost impossible to find and the few times I checked back and ran around 31F+ I never saw any but they kept giving them out for events. The OG versions of mushrooms like Stingshrooms are also incredibly rare.

They've been giving out some fairly good equips but again, you still need to spend the hours grinding metal to upgrade them.

Defenses and raids are a lot harder because of the various events that have happened. RPG Defenders seemed to be common enough, otherwise you had high tier equips on basically everyone even at the 5* level which made it almost impossible. Defenses are a bit easier due to the newly added monster system to help you out but a good raider can clear that out no issue. It also makes getting the 100 defenses incredibly difficult and tedious.

Then there's of course getting the KC to kit out your various characters in general and pay for higher tier characters, and the decal pool has gotten bigger and bigger with decals becoming a bit harder to get.

I've tried to get back into it multiple times just to try and get the trophies but the grind is just way too much, especially if you're an older player with nothing put into things like Longswords or KAMAS. I don't even have any armor upgraded because I used Fun Fungus off of drops in 31+ due to not wanting to deal with the grind for each armor piece. It was already bad enough at launch but the hill to actually do anything feels insurmountable by this point and no matter where you look there's dozens of hours of grind ahead of you just to get past the 40s.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...