Small warning for Nightmare...(Both Doom 1 and 2)

MarioMan200

I just want to put out that the Nightmare modes for both doom games have basically been tweaked to play like the original (DOS/PC) games version of Nightmare Mode. Essentially they increased movement speed for enemies by twice the amount they were originally supposed to before the recent update to the game. I know they want the player to have the experience of these games' difficulties to be true to the original game, being brutal as it was. Enemies such as the Pinkies can be absolutely annoying to deal with now with the increased movement speed. Doom 2's already difficult Level 29 being just a bit more difficult than it already is just makes it bothersome now. I platted 1 twice on my second account but I had to see for myself if 2x enemy movement made much difference and like I said it's mostly pinkies and imps (probably) that benefit from the recent update. I honestly couldnt tell if a Cacodemon or a hitscanner such as the shottgunners or chaingunners benefited from the update for Both games. Anyway, I just wanted to point this out in case anybody was going to platinum these games. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So they made an already difficult Plat even more difficult now. What's funny is that I don't remember the movement speed of the enemies being changed in later releases of the game. :hmm:

Anyways, Nightmare on itself already puts enemies on twice their speed, that and the 60 FPS effectively make the game near impossible to complete already. Having Imps and Pinkies behave at twice the speed from that, oof... I don't want to see the kind of madness Map 29 is now.

I love these games. They're pretty much the grandaddies of FPS games out there, and they still play as great as they did back then. Even though some of these changes do make the game "play better"; for trophy hunters, it just complicates things even further.

Good thing I'm already done with both of these titles. What I'd recommend is downloading version 1.00 of the game from the store by the time you have to do the Nightmare Co-Op run, as that would probably alleviate things a little.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2020 at 7:45 AM, Honor_Hand said:

Good thing I'm already done with both of these titles. What I'd recommend is downloading version 1.00 of the game from the store by the time you have to do the Nightmare Co-Op run, as that would probably alleviate things a little.

DOOM 2 is now at update 1.08, but I started the game the other night and it was still at update 1.07. I have had automatic updates turned off, but the PS4 was constantly asking me to update, which I refused. Despite this, I was still able to access Nightmare Co-Op with two controllers.

So it's most definitely possible. I was afraid with this "technically" being a multiplayer trophy I wasn't going to be able to revert to the old version, but I'm happy to see that's not the case.

I will try to do this later. I will have to turn off Windows Defender, temporarily disable my firewall and enable a proxy on both my Windows 10 computer and PS4 console. Hopefully it will work, because with the old updates I was able to reach up to Map 25. A very small game by today's standards, so while I have absolutely no issues with downloading it regularly, I don't know if the program and the proxy will work.

EDIT UPDATE: I basically used Proxy for both PS4 and PSX Download Helper. Had to restart, but download pops up as version 1.00 for DOOM II.

EDIT UPDATE 2: I tested other games and can confirm I can access version 1.00. However for DOOM 2 I get a screen asking me to make an account at Bethesda.net. But I cannot get past this screen no matter what I do, and updating this game back to 1.08 just throws me back to Nightmare being virtually unplayable without a co-op partner.

I transferred saves over to a USB drive and deleted the copy on the PS4. I have no idea how to get past that screen. I even made an account at Bethesda but there is absolutely nothing regarding DOOM 1 and DOOM 2, just DOOM Eternal.

Edited by Spaz
Downloading version 1.00 works like a charm
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have started doing the Coop Nightmare run on Doom I myself and I only beat through 5 levels on the first episode and I'm on the 6th level on Episode 1. I started this when they updated the game to 1.08 and I noticed that they made Nightmare Mode more close to the PC DOS original and made it more tedious. They really should have added online coop to make the process easier.

• Like 2

On 29/10/2020 at 8:48 PM, Spaz said:

DOOM 2 is now at update 1.08, but I started the game the other night and it was still at update 1.07. I have had automatic updates turned off, but the PS4 was constantly asking me to update, which I refused. Despite this, I was still able to access Nightmare Co-Op with two controllers.

So it's most definitely possible. I was afraid with this "technically" being a multiplayer trophy I wasn't going to be able to revert to the old version, but I'm happy to see that's not the case.

I will try to do this later. I will have to turn off Windows Defender, temporarily disable my firewall and enable a proxy on both my Windows 10 computer and PS4 console. Hopefully it will work, because with the old updates I was able to reach up to Map 25. A very small game by today's standards, so while I have absolutely no issues with downloading it regularly, I don't know if the program and the proxy will work.

EDIT UPDATE: I basically used Proxy for both PS4 and PSX Download Helper. Had to restart, but download pops up as version 1.00 for DOOM II.

EDIT UPDATE 2: I tested other games and can confirm I can access version 1.00. However for DOOM 2 I get a screen asking me to make an account at Bethesda.net. But I cannot get past this screen no matter what I do, and updating this game back to 1.08 just throws me back to Nightmare being virtually unplayable without a co-op partner.

I transferred saves over to a USB drive and deleted the copy on the PS4. I have no idea how to get past that screen. I even made an account at Bethesda but there is absolutely nothing regarding DOOM 1 and DOOM 2, just DOOM Eternal.

When the games were first released they required the Bethesda account to launch them this was removed in another update.

If you look online there use to be a method of downloading a different patch version (granted if an earlier patch still exists on Sony's server).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AQWBlaZer91 said:

I have started doing the Coop Nightmare run on Doom I myself and I only beat through 5 levels on the first episode and I'm on the 6th level on Episode 1. I started this when they updated the game to 1.08 and I noticed that they made Nightmare Mode more close to the PC DOS original and made it more tedious. They really should have added online coop to make the process easier.

Agreed. Or just give us the option to play Nightmare on single player while allowing saves and pausing. Just a bullshit trophy all around, both on DOOM 1 and DOOM 2.

9 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

When the games were first released they required the Bethesda account to launch them this was removed in another update.

If you look online there use to be a method of downloading a different patch version (granted if an earlier patch still exists on Sony's server).

You can still download prior versions using PSX Download Helper or Charles. I downloaded the actual 1.00 file on my PC, then set up a proxy on both my PC and PS4, and my PS4 downloaded version 1.00 of DOOM.

If it wasn't for that Bethesda account screen, I'd already be working on the DOOM 2 platinum.