First look: PlayStation 5’s next-generation user experience

Aranea Highwind

6 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Looks good. Trophy tracking is nice (finally joining Xbox)

U.I. is nice. Separate tabs for gaming and media is good

Themes? Where are themes present? 

Folders?

Themes were pretty much "leaked" yesterday

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/10/ps5_themes_all_but_confirmed_via_dead_by_daylight_listing

Edited by MichMasteR

I just want to have more customization options for the menu system and more trophy data/sorting options. Maybe an option to display your favorite trophies or like an accolades display case. The menu system at least to me looked a little awkward not centered and there was just a ton of empty space. 

Edited by ragtag7

Kinda indifferent to it. All those "activities" and social media related things make it look too cluttered for my liking. I hope there's a way to customise it and/or remove all that useless crap. It is nice to see trophy tracking progress finally confirmed though, been hoping for this feature for basically forever. As others have said though, I don't like how I can't see the trophy icon anywhere on the UI. I'm sure it's tucked away somewhere, but it would have been nice to see. I sort of skimmed through the video a bit so I'm not sure if they actually showed it, but it would have also been nice to see what the settings look like and what kind of options are tucked away in there.

I wasn't too hyped about the PS4 UI either when I first saw it, but it's grown on me (honestly still prefer the XMB). I imagine it'll be the same with the PS5. I wonder how many times the UI of the Series X will change throughout its lifespan...

16 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Kinda indifferent to it. All those "activities" and social media related things make it look too cluttered for my liking. I hope there's a way to customise it and/or remove all that useless crap. It is nice to see trophy tracking progress finally confirmed though, been hoping for this feature for basically forever. As others have said though, I don't like how I can't see the trophy icon anywhere on the UI. I'm sure it's tucked away somewhere, but it would have been nice to see. I sort of skimmed through the video a bit so I'm not sure if they actually showed it, but it would have also been nice to see what the settings look like and what kind of options are tucked away in there.

I wasn't too hyped about the PS4 UI either when I first saw it, but it's grown on me (honestly still prefer the XMB). I imagine it'll be the same with the PS5. I wonder how many times the UI of the Series X will change throughout its lifespan...

Unless Sony make it mandatory some third party developer's won't use the tracking just like on Xbox. 

20 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Unless there isn't no trophy icon on the PS5 UI and the only way to access your trophy collection is by going onto your profile and viewing them there. 

3 hours ago, snakebit10 said:

I like the look of everything except the in game video of a friend playing. I think that would be distracting. Doubt I would use that feature much. Every thing else looks cool. 

For me that feature is the best, seeing my mates doing crazy stuff in their game they would be talking about and now being able to see it whilst i game is next level. Could be used in so many ways too. 

1 hour ago, DARKKRAKEN666 said:

Unless Sony make it mandatory some third party developer's won't use the tracking just like on Xbox. 

That would certainly suck, but I want to be optimistic and say it's better than not having any tracking. I imagine all or most first party games would have it at least. Only time will tell if Sony makes it mandatory or not.

1 hour ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Unless there isn't no trophy icon on the PS5 UI and the only way to access your trophy collection is by going onto your profile and viewing them there. 

That's what I was thinking, you can already access your trophies through your profile on PS4, but it's not the only way to access them. Perhaps they decided to integrate it completely into the profile section.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Hopefully we can run any video in that PIP mode and not just pre-approved guides. Would be super useful to follow collectibles guide side by side.

They showed PiP mode twice; once for the guides and another time for shareplay.

I don't see why that wouldn't be able to be used with other media but we have to wait until they discuss the other media parts of the UX.

1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

That's what I was thinking, you can already access your trophies through your profile on PS4, but it's not the only way to access them. Perhaps they decided to integrate it completely into the profile section.

That would be fine and easy to adapt to. Hopefully they bring back organized trophy lists, so you can view them alphabetical ? not a big deal really. But im fine if going to profile is the only way to see your trophy list.

• Like 1

The PIP looked awsome and the estimate for how long you have left on the particullar level also trophy progression was needed for a loooong time and the messaging looks cool, that you can just use your mic instead of typing?

I just hope to god sony does not let ads get through that stupid news section or in ps store? i dont want to see a fucking burger king ad or whatever else. I am paying for ps+!

The progress cards is totally built with completionists in mind on here. Going to specific parts to complete something is cool. I dunno tho it seems like some of it is more so something 1st party will take advantage of while 3rd party will maybe in the beginning but later on feel like it's too much extra work or something? I dunno if i'm looking and guessing something like that right but overall I do like the UI. I did get a little worried about some of this because it looked information heavy and something that will cause your PS5 UI to lag online but I watch the Digital Foundry video and they said something about the caching system taking care/helping out of some of that?! I dunno we'll see I guess.  So I suspect next they are going to focus on showing off the create button in their next showing. I also want to see what the customization options are.

Edited by AlphaExGAT