First look: PlayStation 5’s next-generation user experience

Aranea Highwind

The cards seem messy in my opinion. I also don't like the social media-like stuff they have going on. Although, they've added a lot of nice and interesting things like the in-game guide (locked behind PS + for some reason) and a trophy progression system (finally!). I also love that they finally separated media apps from the home screen. 

Overall, I don't know how I feel about the UI as a whole. The cards are my biggest issue right now but  I feel like I need to experience this UI to really form an opinion on it.

Edited by PostGameBlues
  • Like 4

It looks kinda cluttered, I would have preferred a different card style

I'm more interested in keeping track of progress (I'm ocd clearly) 

And how many games we can suspend in total (unlimited would be nice! If it just creates a save state on the SSD that wouldn't be so difficult)

Also they will have to make all the progress and other things mandatory for game devs, otherwise it'll be like ps4 where games lack some features in the home screen with the "coming soon" text even though it's been years

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but it looks like some trophies on PS5 are going to reward you with avatars and banners when you earn them. Maybe some other stuff too.

mgfHnV6.jpg

I miss that about PS3.  I like the Final Fantasy XIII themes you get.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but it looks like some trophies on PS5 are going to reward you with avatars and banners when you earn them. Maybe some other stuff too.

mgfHnV6.jpg

Oh I could get down with this 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kristen Danielle said:

When were you diagnosed?

Having panic disorder kinda covers it so my Dr doesn't feel the need to write it down

I think I've been ocd since a child, I always had to work from a clean slate, there's different levels of ocd though. Out of 10 I'd be a 4 in comparison to those 10s that have to open and close a door X amount of times

Must have contributed like 100 views to the video alone. No joke feels that way to me. 

The UI looks very clean and easy to navigate. Look the backdrop of the game in action before jumping in. Activity pages as checkpoints are very user friendly which is a plus. Love how easy it is to talk to friends on PS4, even with the issues and controversy around 8.00 update, which in my opinion is a step backwards due to forceful invites to the chat as well as the party. Finally, for us trophy collectors out there tip is a heck yeah. Always welcome for hints or suggestions. Makes frequent trips and look around to my laptop for the 5 million collectibles in games feel a whole lot better. The share button looks and so far from preview feels  much better than on the PS4, quicker and snappier to take screenshots. Also, voice recognition is awesome. 

Regardless a solid 9 out of 10 UI in my opinion. The only downside being the 8.00 integration, which hopefully Sony can improve upon in the future after reading feedback from their player base. 

As a final note, Can we all just acknowledge how incredible the speed and fluidity of changing games this generation? Honestly one of the best upgrades from the PS4 that made me pre order this pricey system day 1.