I can't care about trophies anymore. Why do you keep caring?

lettmon

Getting a trophy gives me some sort of satisfaction but I don't really give a damn about them anymore; my hunter years are long gone BUT if I do enjoy the game I'll consider the platinum. For example after 5 years I decided to do a Nightmare run for the Dragon Age Inquisiton platinum (I hate timed and difficulty trophies) because after listening to the OST several times over the last months I was just so eager to play it again, also it's a great game. 

Another example would be TLoU2, I LOVED that game and replayed almost 4 times in a row and was a really good platinum candidate, but the collectables felt like a chore so I just kissed it goodbye. 

For the last months I've also discovered how unhealthy for me some games are and I'll just avoid them, the same thing happened with trophies years ago. 

Don't forget to enjoy the game. 

• Like 2

2 reasons: Inertia, and the fact that a good list will encourage me to do more than just beat the game, which I wouldn't necessarily do on my own. 

That being said, I don't 100% every game, and tedious online trophies frequently just kill my interest in platting a game. I'm 1 trophy away from the BF5 plat,  but I'd need a boosting session for the plane kills. That's just not fun. But give me something difficult yet skill based, and I'm likely to put an equal amount of time in to get it done.

That's just me though. Everyone needs to find their own reason and how far they're willing to go.

What I like about trophies is that it's proof that you actually accomplished what you're claiming you accomplished. When I was a kid, everyone at school would always be talking about how they beat X game on the highest difficulty, they beat the superboss in game Y, etc. You knew some of them were lying, or used a Gameshark.

Now it's largely impossible to lie about it. Yes, I know there are hackers and exploits; no system is perfect. However, I do think it's a pretty good system.

I agree with you on hating tedious trophies though. I won't run from a challenge but I have less patience for long grinds and/or RNG trophies these days. Platting Red Dead Redemption 1 did that to me.

• Like 2

I keep caring because I never viewed trophies as some arbitrary side activity attached to gaming. It BECAME the way I game. I don't do one without the other, playing a game and getting the trophies is one in the same. It has had a negative side effect though, in that I have a hard time playing a game that doesn't have trophies. Such as, back when I playing through the entire Ratchet & Clank series, when I got to Tools of Destruction, it took me like 10 months to finish that game because I just couldn't get into it without trophies...I felt directionless and the game almost felt completely pointless without them (playing classic games on an emulator seem to be the only thing that doesn't do this to me). 

Overall, I just simply enjoy earning them. Trophies for me are like digital memories floating in time...something that I can always look back on and be like "I was there for that" and a Platinum/100% especially is "I was there for that, and I conquered it". I never looked at trophies as being some kind of job, they're just the way gaming evolved to me. I think if Sony got rid of trophies now, I'd be pretty devastated...like Tools of Destruction, gaming as a whole might feel pointless. 

Because that's how I play games. 

Before moving on to the PS platform i mainly play PC games. For majority ( i would say 99%) of the games I played, i would clear the game at least in normal difficulty, collect all plot segments (endings, romances, side quests etc.), collect any collectible obvious to me and sometimes a little bit more. So my game play style with trophy is largely on par with what i have always been doing. Nowadays I can clear the game in easy most of the time but sometimes I had the extra burden of boosting stupid online trophies. And forgive me for not quite understanding people who view trophies as "additional" burden to gaming.

Still remember the "fun" time collecting all bullet proof cars in GTA3: SA....

Edited by Maverick6146

Care is a strong word. I have a general interest, but my focus is more on trying to complete the things I've paid money for but never played or started and never finished. Obtaining the achievements is part of that.

• 3 weeks later...

When it comes down to it, I just like getting trophies.  For me, it's a positive experience that adds to the activity.

I know that not everyone engages with trophies/achievements that way, and it's something I've been thinking about.  You'll sometimes hear people talk about obsessive compulsion or something, but I don't think that's quite getting at the difference between people who enjoy going for trophies and people who find it a more negative experience.

I think it's differences in people's Conscientiousness, which is generally considered one of the major personality traits in Psychology.

Conscientiousness is the personality trait of being careful, or diligent. Conscientiousness implies a desire to do a task well, and to take obligations to others seriously. Conscientious people tend to be efficient and organized as opposed to easy-going and disorderly. They exhibit a tendency to show self-discipline, act dutifully, and aim for achievement; they display planned rather than spontaneous behavior; and they are generally dependable. It is manifested in characteristic behaviors such as being neat, and systematic; also including such elements as carefulness, thoroughness, and deliberation (the tendency to think carefully before acting).

Sounds like someone who would enjoy getting all the collectibles.  ;)

• Like 1

Said it before on this type of thread. For me its all about my age. I cannot play games like I did in my kid and teen years where you can spend ages just messing about. I need something to aim for and a strong plot to follow. A big reason why I don't play MP games except for the amazing GTAO. So I need go for the trophies, see as much as I can from the game and then be done with it. 

For the majority I'd say trophies can dampen the experience as most devs have no idea what fun or challenging means. so they end up wrecking there work with a shit trophy list for the most part, but now and then you get that odd gem which is an amazing gaming experience as well as having a perfectly balanced trophy list, but these are few and far between. 

But I cannot see myself gaming once I am done with the PS4 as it will no doubt offer nothing new. Not heard a single piece of interesting news for the PS5 and its future and all you hear about the Xbox these days is how gamepass is great but they actually have no new games. So I'm gonna see how far I can go with the current console and then jack it all in. Not before taking a screen shot of all those completed games though.

Usually I decide at the start of the game, or around the start, if I'm going to hunt the platinum. I'll take a look at the site for a guide and review it for difficulty/missable/multiplayer trophies and decide then and there. I only platinum/trophy hunt in games that I genuinely enjoy because I feel like it helps me to uncover portions of the game that I would have missed otherwise. Thats where I find value. I enjoy seeing all of the hard work the team put in to make the game, absorb all of the lore, and cherish the stuff that most people probably pass over. Good trophy lists will guide you here. God of War (PS4) is one of my favorite trophy lists ever. The hunt for the platinum took me places that you never see on the main story path, and encourage exploration of the world that was created. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found this post quite interesting and i will add my comment on it.

I am a kind trophy hunter meaning i don't rush like some do on every easy game to rise their personal amount of platinum game.

When i buy a game , it is one which i really want to play so most of the time , it end that i get the platinum for it , it often give me a aim to discover some extra content ( ok i really hate trophy which need that i finish the game 4 or 5 times with an harder difficulty , i prefer if i can challenge the game in the hardest difficulty from the start )

Sometime i buy game for a cheap price ( last one was watch dogs legion ) the game was crap but i try to get the plat , it gives me the strengh to go on and see what the game have to offer.

Grabing platinum trophy must stay a pleasure in my opinion and not a must , if someone start to buy game by thinking " how long will it take to get the plat " i think the person is losing the aim of videogame which it is to have fun or live a nice story

Edited by Tauben56
  • Like 1

I still kind of care about trophies - I just don't care for getting them. Which is why I don't really play on PlayStation platform anymore and rather spend my time gaming on PC and Nintendo consoles. It's been a lot more fun to just play the games the way I want, not the way some sadist who came up with the trophy list wants.

• Like 3

I first started trophy hunting back on the ps3 on an account I once lost, I didn't really look at Platinum's then, it was nice to get them but to be honest I did not have much skill sets in the games back then, nor did I have income so it was all blockbuster rentals. When I came off of Ps2, I legit only played Jrpgs exclusively, and MMO's on PC, so adapting to other games was quite difficult at the time, the ps3 then hit the bucket eventually and I switched to PC gaming where I actually started to gather skill sets.

Come 2017, I decided to get a Ps4, I told myself then, I was not interested in hunting, but man that quickly became nullified almost on the first "Ding". I platinumed many games, then I ran into the ez-platinum companies about a year or two after andshortly after I asked myself what I was doing. (This account is only from then) I then thought I wanted to climb ranks, follow numbers. I did a lot of researching on the top ranking people and I noticed them region stacking, and doing these games religiously, and I thought to myself, well if its not practical to beat them going normally, then I must join them if this is what I want to do.

Here I am today, almost top 800 in World Ranks, still trucking through the easy platinum games that seriously do not give me much enjoyment, but I do treat myself on the side with good titles. I was also stockpiling the games for awhile as well, and on July 27th I decided I was finally going to finish the entire stockpile, back to back, a massive list with Region stacking my Europe games on the Vita and be done with them late August, buying what I can along the way until the end of this goal is complete... I have many real boy games lined up after this that I have owned since they released pretty much that I am looking forward to playing (legit over 200 of them across all 4 of the platforms), during these times I will reflect back and see if I actually want to keep climbing ranks or not, I am very uncertain myself on that right now, but the trophy hunting otherwise will not stop, but probably become much more enjoyable again like it was the first year I got the ps4 back in 2017, as I will be playing what I consider better games.

In the end of the day, it is what it is and to each their own. Either you like it, or you don't, or maybe you just dabble in it once in awhile depending on the game. Maybe you lay guidelines for yourself, maybe you go full crazy. It is your life, and your own self-achievements, but if it ever gets to the point it is negatively impacting your life, either mentally, financially or physically, my advice is to stop. Obsess all you want but when it becomes a straight up problem, that is an issue.

• 5 months later...

I've been plating games since 2009, some of the were great fun, others were utterly crap. But nowadays I feel kinda tired of 100% every game I come across with. What I do is: I take breaks from hunting and just play games for fun but leave 1 game to plat while I play several others, and I dedicate everyday 30 minutes and then move to another game, before I know I get close to plat/100% it. It now takes me a longer than before but I like it better that way. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So I just got my 100th platinum trophy. This is as good a time as any to reflect on why I've been doing this in the first place. I was going to create a thread for my musings, but it's obviously not the first thread on the topic and this one really fits the bill.

I love the original post. I also started my trophy hunting "career" a dozen years ago. My first thought when they introduced trophies is that I'd 100% every new game I play. How hard could that be right? Mirror's Edge broke my 100% dream soon afterwards: it wasn't technically impossible, but it turned out doing all the time trials was a bigger hassle than I was willing to deal with.

From my stats, I can see I've been getting more trophies in the last few years. I can pin that on a change in my life circumstances and, well, good ol' COVID. Honestly, I don't really like trophies anymore, but I still feel compelled to get them... to get it done, to get that game 100%, y'know? It's somehow more about the relief of being able to let go rather than about the joy of getting 100%. It's been that way for a few years now.

They say the first step to fighting addiction is to realize you have a problem. Well, not a "problem" as in waking up in an ice bath with two kidneys missing after an all-night bender. More of a "problem" as in someday you have to start thinking about what you're doing with the finite amount of time you have. What else are you not doing with your time when replaying the same game four times for the trophies? I realize there's an element of compulsion to it: if I start a game, I'm going to start obssessing about all the stupid collectibles. So I'd rather not play a game at all. So uh, kind of like an alcoholic who can't have "just one". It's all or nothing.

Some say it's stupid not to play a game because of its trophies, but in my book, any excuse not to play a game is a good one. It's not like I haven't played enough videogames yet, lol.

I've read in another topic that you could say the same thing about books or movies. But no, games are more addictive, they're often built for that specific purpose. Books don't ask you to flip through the pages to find every instance of the letter "y" and noboby watches movies five times, but this time the fight scenes are longer, etc.

Books don't go "bloing" when you finish reading them, an obvious design flaw, but it is what it is. I have a nice book on the structure of Roman society just waiting to be read, but no, I've got to catch every stupid persona and do all the fetchquests, all for a check mark in a private company's ledger. It's obvious "completion" was less important to me before trophies. I had a Final Fantasy Tactics save file with all items and a 99:99:99 in-game clock, a point of obvious pride, but I sure didn't care about getting 100% in every new game before the advent of the ol' trophy system. It's a system that's banking on addiction.

So that's that. Maybe I'll try getting my profile to about 70% and then I'll call it a day. I'll totally stop caring about my profile and trophies, I swear! Haha, I guess we'll see... one day at a time, I suppose.

Edited by Garamoth
  • Like 1

My last 2 main games have been Xbox originals on the XBSX, Elder Scrolls 3 and Jade Empire. I didn't go into "No Trophy Meltdown" and it was great. However I can't see myself playing PS3 games that don't have trophies and did have achievements like Oblivion. I also gave away switch after 6 months, Maybe I am addicted after all. I did %100 many game pre Trophy times but I rarely do now.

I care more about my Playstation trophies then my Xbox Achievements, It's a way better system imo.