This game makes me sick

You

I don't know why but I can only play this game for about 10 minutes before I start feeling ill. I've turned off motion blur and slowed down how fast the camera can spin, but I can only play for about half an hour before having to stop, and then feel quite nauseous for a few hours afterwards.

Outside of VR, I've never had a game that gave me motion sickness before.

Anyone else experience this, or have any tips?

This is one of the most annoying problems I've ever faced in any game honestly. I haven't played God of War, but I've had it happen in a few first person games and also third-person games like The Last of Us. I also had to literally drop Arkham City and Arkham Knight because it made me so sick, but I was fine with Asylum.

Honestly, best thing you can do is what you have been doing, which is take major breaks. Other than that, sometimes for me adjusting distance from my screen helps. Either too far or too close can add to the problem, since eye strain could be causing it. Anything else that could help with that. Stay hydrated since a headache will just make it all worse.

Sorry none of this would "cure" it. Just little things that sometimes help, but honestly I've never found a perfect solution. 

• Like 1

I have only experienced this in 1 game, back in the old PS1 (i think) era. An Old Call of Duty or Medal of Honor game, brightness was turned all the way up and even then running through these dark catacombs made me ill so quickly I never got past that part.

Never experienced any motion sickness on any game apart from "Dragon's Crown" on the Vita (Later PS4).

When it used to load and speed around its world to get to the level. Ughh. 

I have no tips sadly because i eventually gave up because there is the motion blur thing before every level. I even tried to look away when it happened, it just breaks the immersion and makes it awkward. To this day ive got barely any of the trophies and havent played it for a long time. 

I know its sort of off topic but does anyone know if the motion blur in Dragons Crown has survived the port to PS4?

Edited by punkshepherd
GRAMMA

I wear gamer glasses to help with eyestrain (and it helps a lot), but I've never experienced motion sickness outside of GT Sport VR. At least, not enough to make me feel nauseated.

I don't think glasses would help you in this situation, but it may be worth a try if you experience a lot of eyestrain and headaches playing games.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Another issue I am having, probably an issue worse than getting motion sickness, is the gameplay itself.

This game doesn't even feel like a God Of War game, sure I'm enjoying the journey, and the story. But I keep getting a bit lost, and walking around with very little combat, I'm waiting for the game to get going like I'm stuck in the prologue, yet it's just fizzling along, not had one super giant boss battle yet and nothing much exciting is happening, breaking open crates, 99% of the time with nothing in them, carrying around blue giant gems very slowly. There was also a point where i pushed up on my analogue stick for a whole minute to walk through some darkness.

GOW3 started off with probably the most insane boss fight I've ever seen. In this one, that fight with the skinny dude at the beginning was pretty dumb, why is he so strong?

This feels like a totally different game now, a God Of War game, but only in name.

Anyway, I'm hoping it gets good soon. I got this game on the high praises the game has, it even looks like an awesome game, somehow I just don't feel it yet.

13 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Thanks for the tips guys.

Another issue I am having, probably an issue worse than getting motion sickness, is the gameplay itself.

This game doesn't even feel like a God Of War game, sure I'm enjoying the journey, and the story. But I keep getting a bit lost, and walking around with very little combat, I'm waiting for the game to get going like I'm stuck in the prologue, yet it's just fizzling along, not had one super giant boss battle yet and nothing much exciting is happening, breaking open crates, 99% of the time with nothing in them, carrying around blue giant gems very slowly. There was also a point where i pushed up on my analogue stick for a whole minute to walk through some darkness.

GOW3 started off with probably the most insane boss fight I've ever seen. In this one, that fight with the skinny dude at the beginning was pretty dumb, why is he so strong?

This feels like a totally different game now, a God Of War game, but only in name.

Anyway, I'm hoping it gets good soon. I got this game on the high praises the game has, it even looks like an awesome game, somehow I just don't feel it yet.

Keep playing, trust me. The game has a pretty bad start imo but gets really sick after a while. I played 3 hours in my first session, didn't touch it for almost a year after, returned and couldn't stop playing after I beat it. It definitely doesn't feel like the older games but has it's own positives, which there are a lot. Just wish the beginning of the game would have been better, like a lot better.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, enaysoft said:

Thanks xDerErnst, well I am definitely going to finish the game, just that it feels more of a chore right now. The map in this game sucks, it did not make me less lost.

Yeah, the map is garbage and gets even worse when you start hunting collectibles. Thank God powerpyx videos exist.

10 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I don't know why but I can only play this game for about 10 minutes before I start feeling ill. I've turned off motion blur and slowed down how fast the camera can spin, but I can only play for about half an hour before having to stop, and then feel quite nauseous for a few hours afterwards.

Interesting, cause I've only heard of this problem for people with first person games. I get this problem when it comes to falling in games, especially when it shows screen shaking and everything. I just try to close my eyes, but it still doesn't always help.

As others have said, there's no real cure-all. What's the exact thing that makes you feel sick? The general motion?

This happened to me in a game called Dyad. I played for about 4 or 5 uninterrupted hours and literally had to go to the hospital, as I felt a very strong migraine and vomiting. I was away from the game for several weeks after the episode.

One of the reasons why I avoid any game in First Person [ I have Soma on my profile but wasn't aware it was FP although with hindsight it didn't make me feel ill ], is because they make me feel disorientated and motion sick and motion sickness is very rare for me generally, only thing I can suggest is taking something like Joyrides which are very inert seasickness pills, my sister takes those on holidays and stuff, anything with Ginger in it helps enormously for any kind of sickness so Ginger Fizzy Pop, biscuits, cake or even sweeties with Ginger will help.  

As for the game suggestions, I don't know - I have actually only recently purchased the game myself and haven't played it yet as I am doing Mad Max at the moment and trying to get that Dividend skill before the time runs out [ personally wish I had bought it 5 years ago ].  Turning the motion blur off etc should have helped you though.

Edited by alexandra-jane09

It happened to me in the Bioshock, Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. It helps a bit to change motion blur, brightness and field of view, also try not to play in a dark room like at night with only the screen to illuminate the room. Take some time off during your gaming time its not worth to push yourself it will only make things worse.

• Like 1

The only game I've felt sick while playing was The Unfinished Swan, I think it was due to the bright white colors and the fact that you essentially paint your way through the game. Actually, I think it's interesting that you're feeling sick while playing this, usually I'd expect that type of thing to come from either VR games (like you mentioned) or generally any first person shooter game. I think Mirror's Edge is a good example of a game that could easily make people feel sick while playing.

As for any tips, I suppose the only thing I can recommend is to make sure to take breaks!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 4:51 PM, enaysoft said:

Outside of VR, I've never had a game that gave me motion sickness before.

Anyone else experience this, or have any tips?

I had the exact same problem with Control. Tried to play it and had to turn it off after 10 mins with really bad motion sickness. I tried turning the camera turn speeds down etc but nothing helped the game just makes me feel ill.

• Like 1

Flying my ship into the side of the space station in No Man's Sky has to be the most motion sickness I've ever had in a game. Lots of people actually reported MS for that game and I still don't get it. I can play FPS' etc fine no problem! Weird! Guess we all have our own quirks and issues haha. 

Have you played games like this before? Close up, third person combat? Maybe it's to do with how close Kratos is to the screen?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would pointless update and say that I have been slowly progressing with this game, this might well be my hardest platinum, already felt like puking hundreds of times now, just chipping away at the game in chunks. Having to drop down to Easy and just spam arrows at enemies and hope I can cheese through most battles without having to move the camera.

I did however find a very weird of being able to play the game for longer periods of time.

Can you guess what that might be?

Being drunk...

Yes that's right, for some reason when I am inside that "tipsy" feeling or stronger feeling of drunkenness, I can somehow tolerate the gameplay way better.

Not a very healthy solution to playing a game but at least I can play for an hour before I start feeling sick instead of 5-10 minutes.

I guess I'm like that guy out of Virtua Fighter 2 or Jackie Chan from the film Drunken Master. Alcohol is strength.

PS Please do NOT try this at home. Reliance on alcohol for any reason whatsoever is a very bad idea.

31 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Just thought I would pointless update and say that I have been slowly progressing with this game, this might well be my hardest platinum, already felt like puking hundreds of times now, just chipping away at the game in chunks. Having to drop down to Easy and just spam arrows at enemies and hope I can cheese through most battles without having to move the camera.

I did however find a very weird of being able to play the game for longer periods of time.

Can you guess what that might be?

Being drunk...

Yes that's right, for some reason when I am inside that "tipsy" feeling or stronger feeling of drunkenness, I can somehow tolerate the gameplay way better.

Not a very healthy solution to playing a game but at least I can play for an hour before I start feeling sick instead of 5-10 minutes.

I guess I'm like that guy out of Virtua Fighter 2 or Jackie Chan from the film Drunken Master. Alcohol is strength.

PS Please do NOT try this at home. Reliance on alcohol for any reason whatsoever is a very bad idea.

I know I am going against the grain here but it's really not worth finishing the game this way.

Although I really thought the game was not living up to expectations - I probably wouldn't even like it if I was drunk.