This game makes me sick

You

On 10/20/2020 at 11:01 PM, SealedCard said:

The only game I've felt sick while playing was The Unfinished Swan, I think it was due to the bright white colors and the fact that you essentially paint your way through the game. Actually, I think it's interesting that you're feeling sick while playing this, usually I'd expect that type of thing to come from either VR games (like you mentioned) or generally any first person shooter game. I think Mirror's Edge is a good example of a game that could easily make people feel sick while playing.

As for any tips, I suppose the only thing I can recommend is to make sure to take breaks!

Had the same thing with the Unfinished swan! The only game that made me sick.

Never experienced motion sickness playing God of War. But the 1st time i've experienced this was when I first played Uncharted 1 back in PS3. I was off worked and played the game on a hot afternoon, about 30mins I felt the need to stop. But as time passed by and my eye and body adjusted to the game/gameplay I managed to play hours on one sitting.

I think its just a matter of your body/eye getting adjusted to the game, take it slow and play the game on a time that you are very comfortable.

• Like 1

From personal experience, I have found that 60FPS works wonders for my motion sickness. I remember turning down my FFXIV settings on my PC to 30 and after playing for almost ten minutes I got really sick. Unfortunately, I have motion sickness in games too. Spyro, Killzone, Sayonara Wild Hearts, The Last of Us... Motion Sickness unfortunately isn't something you can really prevent, unless you take pills for it. But basically what happens is (iirc), your eyes are processing things and your brain is not in sync, making it think you have some sort of poisoning (which is what triggers having to vomit). Close your eyes, or go and look outside and let your eyes readjust a bit. That helped a bit for me too. I hope with PS5 coming and 60fps being a standard, you will get better results in gaming. It did for me. 

• Like 1

At first upon reading the title of this thread, I though, WHAT!? HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT!?  This is a fantastic game but then I read into it ?

But I'm glad it's never happened to me aside from on one indie game which was 'The Awesome Pea'. Like I felt slightly dizzy upon playing it just because it's pretty much all green in colour and the actual visual effect combined with the colour made me feel a little dizzy.

But I say just take breaks if you can and drink water. That should help with any game related sickness :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShahinMiah said:

But I'm glad it's never happened to me aside from on one indie game which was 'The Awesome Pea'. Like I felt slightly dizzy upon playing it just because it's pretty much all green in colour and the actual visual effect combined with the colour made me feel a little dizzy.

Dude, this was the first game I thought of when I saw this thread. Awesome Pea - from the dark days where I played loads of Rata games (not the case anymore) made me feel physically ill. The other game that made me really, really sick was Rememoried. The turning around mechanic was so disorientating and I felt dreadful. I got a 2 hour banging headache from that game! Other than that, I'm pretty good with motion sickness - including VR.

Feel for OP. Firstly, God of War is my 2nd favourite game of the generation, and firstly, because I know how it is with motion sickness in games even with changing the settings. My fiancee gets very aggressively motion sick at most FPS games and some other games no matter what we do. She is fine in some games - Fallout/BioShock, but others like Half Life and DOOM (or GTA/RDR FP mode) she can't play them even with setting changes/head bob reduction because it makes her feel ill. Seems really random.

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys, I enjoy reading them. So I'm still slowly progressing through the game, I am actually almost there, this is probably my hardest platinum despite the fact the game itself is not too hard.

Have been reducing my motion sickness by not looking at the screen where possible during walking/gameplay.

Weirdly I don't get motion sickness barely at all when grinding in foggy Nibelheim, have been able to grind their for hours and be mostly ok.

When I'm in the boat or looking up/down, climbing up and down, I get quite ill quickly.

Fighting the Valkyries on the whole has been fine too, it seems I am most vulnerable to vertical movements.

Luckily I can fast travel now to various places, once I got the game completed, the game has been way less painful.

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

Motion sickness is the reason why I will probably never play on the PS VR. Runs in my family, I get sick just reading a few paragraphs in a book while I'm inside a moving vehicle.

There are loads of games in VR that don't have movement that I can play. Things like Creed boxing or Beat Saber, if you are moving in a static environment I am fine, and there are plenty of games that don't make me ill. Even the Until Dawn rollercoaster I was fine with.