Does the PS5 mean the closure of PS3 and Vita’s remaining 1st party online servers?

J_S_R_C_N

Some people might find this a boring or useless discussion, but I think it’s interesting to speculate on and get other people’s thoughts on. Do you think the release of the PS5 means the death of online servers for the remaining first party PS3 and Vita games that are still running? If so, how quickly do you think it will happen? To be clear I’m taking about games on Vita and PS3 that still have online servers running such as LittleBigPlanet (1,2,3, Vita), Killzone Mercenary, Resistance Burning Skies, God of War Ascension, etc. and not PS3 and Vita’s general online functionality.  Personally I’m convinced that the remaining titles that have servers still active will be shut down within the first year of the PS5’s release. I could even see most of them shutting down at the first of the year, or being announced at the first of the year and shutting down around March. 

Seeing as Sony is making it harder/impossible to even purchase PS3 and Vita games digitally with their new PlayStation Store changes, I think they are essentially ready to completely cut ties with those systems and focus solely on PS4 and PS5. It makes sense seeing as PS5 is only compatible with PS4 games and we are starting to see PS3 era games getting full remakes for PS5. I’m definitely trying to get all online trophies from first party games I’m interested in on those systems ASAP. Hopefully we will see more remasters/remakes. Especially if they kept the online modes but made it bots only like they did for Killzone HD. What are your thoughts? 

• Like 2

It was discussed already but I will say this again. Most of the games that are still functional now, will be in 10 years as well. If a game has its multiplayer based on P2P (player to player), the game will be playable as long as there will be players. The players host lobbies and mp games, not dedicated servers. Games like Battlefield and games where you need leaderboards to get trophies or some stuff needed for trophies, they may be affected, but it will mostly depend on the developer, not Sony in general. But games like Call of Duty, Need For Speed, Tekken, or whatever, should be fine even after PS6 comes out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

It was discussed already but I will say this again. Most of the games that are still functional now, will be in 10 years as well. If a game has its multiplayer based on P2P (player to player), the game will be playable as long as there will be players. The players host lobbies and mp games, not dedicated servers. Games like Battlefield and games where you need leaderboards to get trophies or some stuff needed for trophies, they may be affected, but it will mostly depend on the developer, not Sony in general. But games like Call of Duty, Need For Speed, Tekken, or whatever, should be fine even after PS6 comes out.

No wait, NFS Carbon and ProStreet were shut down IIRC. Later games are still active though.

Namco isn't exactly known for shutting down games. I think Ridge Racer 7 is currently the oldest PS3 game with active multiplayer servers (despite having no trophies)

Edited by Lance_87

16 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

No wait, NFS Carbon and ProStreet were shut down IIRC. Later games are still active though.

Afaik they had servers, not P2P, but I may be wrong, it's been years since I played them on PS3. Either way, not really good examples since these games are 3 generations old (came out on PS2 as well which wasn't made having online gaming as its priority). After PS3 came out with PSN, it has changed dramatically. 

I don’t believe anything is as coordinated as implied in the first post. I think every first party title’s online availability is determined on a case by case basis and the PS5 itself is irrelevant to the servers being used or not, at most it is merely coincidental and not a cause of any further actions. 

Edited by DaivRules

50 minutes ago, Lord_BenWon said:

You are wrong about NFS Carbon, it's still possible to play online on Playstation 3.

See this https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-Need-for-Speed-Games/NFS-Carbon-PS3-Online-Servers-2019/td-p/7755814

Well, that's new to me. I wonder why these are still while the PC servers aren't.

Edited by Lance_87