PSN PS3 Support??

PhoenixPerson_

Hello,

I made a phone call today to Sony (Region Support: Greece) and i asked how would i be able to view games purchased for free while owning a PS PLUS membership back in 2010-2015, so i will be able to know which games i will be able to retrieve after purchasing PS PLUS today..

Spoiler

For some reason my accounts transactions have been messed up so i can not view the transactions history or anything to be able to solve this. I can view all PS PLUS locked games from game library (recently added in playstation.com as a new future?) but there is no way to view my ps3 locked games without purchasing PS PLUS again.

Anyway, after i asked, he just told me "Well, why would you care that much? Sony will not support online gaming for PS3 after the arrival of PS5"... And after some questions he told me that they would start shutting down the servers one by one and eventually will not support more than two systems (PS4, PS5), no idea how that translates for PS Vita.

He could possibly mean that ps3 servers will start shutting down for many online games, like they have been doing for years now, but they will start closing in larger groups. But i am not sure whether he believed something like that or if he knew it.

So i have the following questions after searching a bit on the forums.

1)Has anything like that been announced?

2)Will they completely shut down online gaming on ps3, meaning you will be able to play offline but won't be able to go online or (3)

3)If that happens, will you be able to sync trophies earned with offline games?

4)Will there be an announcement soon enough? I am thinking on starting Bad company again or GTA IV and they require many many hours of gameplay, so if the servers shut down out of nowhere i would be very disappointed.

Sorry for the long post and for any grammatical errors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhoenixPerson_ said:

Thanks for the fast reply, i will try that too.

You're welcome. I think the whole "missing entries in transaction history" thing started happening around 2018. I was told that they deliberately "retired" old transactions from public view due to undisclosed reasons. The first time it took a year because they couldn't understand the issue. The second time it took maybe a couple of days/weeks.

I've had quite a few customer service reps that seem to have no idea what they're talking about, across multiple different companies. Still remember when I had to phone up my ISP once when my broadband wasn't working, and had to listen to some drivel about "factory resetting my legacy modem", all the while I swear to God I could hear the guy eating crackers or something.

Anyway, I've had to contact Sony a few times before, once was a week or so before the PS4 released, I turned on my PS3 one day to find out my password was apparently incorrect. Same thing with my Vita and the website. Didn't receive any email about my password being changed at all, so kinda panicked and phoned support. The guy on the line literally asked why I was even still using "that old thing" (the PS3, keep in mind the PS4 wasn't even out yet). Seemed really unprofessional to say the least. Anyway, I managed to reset the password myself after remembering I could have just done that in the first place through the website by entering my birthdate. Apparently passwords being randomly reset for some accounts was a known thing, Pushsquare even did a short article on it. Sony never gave a real reason other than "we sometimes reset passwords 'cause suspicious activity yo!"

There's a good chance the rep you spoke to didn't really know what they were talking about. Yes, I imagine more servers will indeed be shut down for PS3, plenty already have. As for the whole online functionality in general? No one really knows, but because PS Now uses official hardware to stream PS3 games, I imagine trophy syncing at least won't be going away for a very, very long time. I personally wouldn't worry about it until there's something official from Sony, I only hope they give a warning well ahead in advance, compared to their 1-2 week warning with the new PSN web store recently.

• Like 2

The fact that the PS3 updated the PSN levels to show the new values makes me think that they are not going to shut down online completely.

On top of that, they would definitely announce it months in advance too like they do for all of their server online shutdowns with games.

• Like 2

PS3 online isn't going anywhere, the rep was just giving you an opinion, not a fact.

While individual game servers will continue to disappear, the fact of the matter is that Sony still makes money from sales on the PS3 and as long as it is profitable, PSN will stay up.

And as others have pointed out if the PS3 was going to be abandoned, I doubt they would bother adding the new trophy levels to it. I'm sure it will continue to exist for many years.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

The fact that the PS3 updated the PSN levels to show the new values makes me think that they are not going to shut down online completely.

On top of that, they would definitely announce it months in advance too like they do for all of their server online shutdowns with games.

The PS3 is even capable of seeing PS4 avatars if you change them from a PS4 or the website... you could also use downloadable PS3 avatars without having to actually install them on the PS3. The trophy system change was server-side.

I'm not even sure if they have control over third-party servers. There are so many games out there with working servers, not necessarily for online multiplayer (i.e. just leaderboards, or in-game downloads). The first-party games, on the other hand, are mostly shut down. They could still disable certain features though, like they did with messages a couple of months ago (i.e. you got a copy of a PS4 message on PS3, now i think it only works with friend requests)

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

This is what I was thinking. Why would they bother updating PS3 if they plan on killing it. Doesn't make any sense.

• Like 2

So with their move about removing the PS3 and Vita products from their website, I started to wonder a few things.

First, is it necessary to remove PS3 and Vita related media from the web store? And by necessary I mean if it would reduce for them any kind of server cost, or they're just doing this so people start getting used to not seeing these outside the respective systems for a potential closure of PS3 and Vita stores for good?

And the second question is, would closing PS3 and Vita stores on the platform itself, would mean they will stop the online service, meaning you can't sync trophies from them anymore? Of course there's content that would get lost for good unless you save it well, such as Vita DLCs, for instance Muramasa DLC trophies, and the possibility of playing these DLCs too just for the fun of it and because is part of the game. But these -DLC-, specially on Vita and the genre I play most which is JRPG is rare, but still better than just stopping the trophy sync, which would mean everything on PS3 and Vita would stay frozen for good with the % you had at the time of closure. So just wondering from my ignorance if you think there would be any risk of these services being discontinued due to a potential upcoming -maybe with the next console/service- closure of these stores or these are totally separate things and they wouldn't see any benefit from shutting down the online entirely.

• Like 2

The Web stores going away for the PS3, Vita and PSP have absolutely nothing to do with how Trophy Syncing works so nothing is going to change on that front for a very long time, if ever. The Console store apps on the PS3 and Vita also aren't going anywhere so you will still be able to buy your content that way until some of it inevitably gets delisted at some point in the distant future.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

Yeah I know about that. I was talking about the second step, if they're removing the PS3/Vita media from the web store, I was wondering about the future when they shut down the stores on the systems themselves, the PS3 and Vita just like they did with 3DS, I was wondering if shutting down the stores on the platforms would mean they'll also discontinue any kind of online service, such as trophy sync. I'm talking about years ahead -it could be when the next PS system/serive releases or even before, seeing they even did it with 3DS- when the PS3/Vita stores shut down.

• Like 1

I doubt trophy syncing will go away any time soon because PS Now uses it for PS3 titles, and I highly doubt it costs Sony anything to keep syncing enabled for Vita.

Also I don't know what you mean about them shutting down the store on the 3DS, that's still very much open, unless they've shut it down in some specific regions (think it might be for some South American countries)? Wii and DSi shops are long since dead though.

17 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I doubt trophy syncing will go away any time soon because PS Now uses it for PS3 titles, and I highly doubt it costs Sony anything to keep syncing enabled for Vita.

Also I don't know what you mean about them shutting down the store on the 3DS, that's still very much open, unless they've shut it down in some specific regions (think it might be for some South American countries)? Wii and DSi shops are long since dead though.

Yeah a friend just told me before making the post about the 3DS stores since I was talking to him about this, I didn't even check on mine (we're from Spain) I just googled it and saw it was shut down on 42 countries so I assumed it was gone for us too. I get physical copies except when that's not possible, and for 3DS that would be SMTIV in which I have around 300 hours, it came out physically on America but digital only on Europe. Just checked and yeah the 3DS store is still working on Spain for now which is great. I found it really weird 3DS would shut down before Vita, still 42 countries is a lot of them...

Edited by YonahFuriae

I've always been worried about that myself. There is no way of telling at the moment, but all you can do for now is keep getting all the ps3 trophies you can. Nowhere in the near future is the trophy syncing on ps3 going to go anywhere. But one day it might hopefully by then the PS6 is out already..

WetRaindrops.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YonahFuriae said:

Yeah a friend just told me before making the post about the 3DS stores since I was talking to him about this, I didn't even check on mine (we're from Spain) I just googled it and saw it was shut down on 42 countries so I assumed it was gone for us too. I get physical copies except when that's not possible, and for 3DS that would be SMTIV in which I have around 300 hours, it came out physically on America but digital only on Europe. Just checked and yeah the 3DS store is still working on Spain for now which is great. I found it really weird 3DS would shut down before Vita, still 42 countries is a lot of them...

Nintendo doesn't use a unified online network like Sony does