How Difficult Is Knytt Underground?

damon8r351

Why are the trophies so rare on this game? Is it because it's challenging from a technical standpoint or because you just need a walkthrough to find everything? I've had this game on my Vita for ages but haven't bothered to touched it after hearing so many people complain about "how hard it is". Keep in mind, I'm only decent at platforming and thought some parts of platforming in Guacamelee were difficult. I ask because I'm trying to decide if I should save myself the frustration and get rid of it, or give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...

After exploring around for awhile, I think I get what the deal is. There are a few challenging areas to jump around in, nothing you can't get through with a little determination. Seems like there's a fuckload of territory to cover, where the real challenge is not getting lost, and a lot of running back and forth. Plus you can't really find anything without a good game guide, and the best one you got is this guy, who really does nothing different than any other gamer would do in this situation, which is walk around while getting lost, stumbling across whatever you can find. Plus he won't shut up. I've been following his route during my playthrough, I just hope we find everything. :\

The issue with the trophy rarity isn't in the difficulty (except for a handful of trophies) but more in sticking long enough with the game to pursue them. Knytt Underground definately isn't for everyone. Its more of an adventure/platformer type game. Think Metroid or Castlevania minus the action but with all the platforming and puzzle solving still intact. It doesn't take long at all to get to the 3rd and final chapter but that's where the game really just turns you loose.

Once in chapter 3, the game doesn't tell you were to go and really seems to want the player to explore aimlessly around its ginormous map while completing story related and side missions. Knytt Underground's central focus is definately exploration more than anything else. Personally, I like it...following multiple paths, finding new rooms and wondering what secrets they hide (ranging from items to secret paths), it definately keeps things fresh and feels like an original experience.

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...

I really enjoyed this game.  Explored the game all the way to Hell.  But I did have to use a guide to get all the trophies (some of which I just happen to stumble upon while exploring).  From a design perspective, this game is awesome, and the music is very soothing.  I recommend it, but it is NOT for everyone... especially if you have no patience.

• 1 year later...

I see this is an old thread, but as someone with 100%, the trophies are extremely missable (but very easy with a guide). You can complete the game and a majority of the map (which is fairly large) without ever getting one, and there is also a point of no return near the end and it is a really long game. There are also some decent challenges in an off the map area, but nothing as impossible as their rarity suggests. From what I've played Guacamelee is less precise and overall easier. 

The game itself is kind of a meta commentary on life, religion, and misinterpretations. The story is scarce but the overall mood can be depressing at times, although there is an occasional sense of beauty. Plenty of exploration, puzzle solving, and backtracking at times (particularly without using a guide as I only really used one for the point of no return and some really obscure locations). The game does break the fourth wall at times in a self aware manner through comments and characters.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I loved the game. Most of the trophies are pretty easy, even if they are "Ultra Rare" or "Rare" . There are a couple that is a bit more tricky and definitely requires a guide, along with some somewhat tricky platforming. It's all very doable and nothing too hard if you got a guide.