Surge in players/platinum achievers due to the online potion shutting down?

OmegaRejectz

It seems the announcement of the servers being shutdown for this game on October 31st resulted in many revisiting or freshly starting the game in an attempt to snag the platinum before it becomes unobtainable. I’d love to know how you guys are doing with the game? Did you quickly rush to platinum it? Did you experience an infuriating glitch that resulted in the loss of an entire save file? Did you end up giving it up after the monotony of it all, or did you push through in order to achieve a shiny new platinum? I’d love to know your guys’ final playtime too. Personally, I revisited the game back in June and after spending twelve or so hours ended up realizing I had the infamous 190/191 glitch. I ended up giving up the game... only to come back after I heard the news about the server shutdowns. Then I decided to almost exclusively play it, even after I had finished the online related stuff I didn’t trust it and decided to push through. Sadly I lost a few hours after I ran into a side mission glitch but aside from that my third run went smoothly. Now I’m just sitting with one trophy left waiting until I get Red Dead Redemption 2 as my 50th platinum. :) 

• Like 2

I started the game after everyone was talking about it. that was a good reason to want to test it out anyway. i platinumed it and i had no glitch. the game was surprisingly fun and i was motivated to play it. only the extreme grind at the end with all the scavenger locations, the challenges and the whole thing do this make the stuff was monotonous and unnecessary in my eyes. i just played for fun and only had one save file.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OmegaRejectz said:

It seems the announcement of the servers being shutdown for this game on October 31st resulted in many revisiting or freshly starting the game in an attempt to snag the platinum before it becomes unobtainable. I’d love to know how you guys are doing with the game? Did you quickly rush to platinum it? Did you experience an infuriating glitch that resulted in the loss of an entire save file? Did you end up giving it up after the monotony of it all, or did you push through in order to achieve a shiny new platinum? I’d love to know your guys’ final playtime too. Personally, I revisited the game back in June and after spending twelve or so hours ended up realizing I had the infamous 190/191 glitch. I ended up giving up the game... only to come back after I heard the news about the server shutdowns. Then I decided to almost exclusively play it, even after I had finished the online related stuff I didn’t trust it and decided to push through. Sadly I lost a few hours after I ran into a side mission glitch but aside from that my third run went smoothly. Now I’m just sitting with one trophy left waiting until I get Red Dead Redemption 2 as my 50th platinum. :) 

The game is pretty good. The only instance of a glitch was when a camp glitched on me, I made a separate post for it but also found a workaround shortly after. The link to the post is below:

Havoc Point - You've been warned!

I did not encounter any other game-breaking bug on the way to the platinum. Also, I was making sure that whatever corner of the map I am going to, due to a side mission or a mission or any other requirement other than scavenging purposes, I am cleaning any nearby scavenging location, like, you know, ones in the vicinity, usually, one lead to another scavenging location, this way, I made sure my end game clean up was less time consuming and the platinum is obtained right at the end of the final story mission. Based on in-game timer, it took me 5 days and some change but I am guessing it will be shorter because I had put my PS4 at rest mode with the game turned on (I was already done with all the scrap crew challenges by then so couldn't care less) and I believe that count towards your game completion time.

If you keep saving multiple times, at least run two saves parallel-y and some other save files at the important juncture of the game, you should be all set and not have any issues. In addition to the above points, making sure that you are frequently checking the numbers for the scavenging locations with the one in the Stats section of the game will be immensely helpful in keeping it a bug-free experience.

Edited by dev2610

A game free on PS+ that I thought would remain in my backlog indefinitely, then this announcement pushed my hand to start it and what a gem it was.

I haven't platinumed it yet as I want to have my Resident Evil collection done first, but as soon as I load the game I just need to go into Pink Eye's Stronghold and pick up the last history relic and it will be platinum #106

It is a repetitive game but I enjoyed the loop. Driving was decent but not spectacular, combat was a simplified version of the Arkham games, it was fun destroying things, great atmosphere.

What I enjoyed most was actually being interested in the game, I loved the history relics which gave a glimpse of the world before the apocalypse and shortly afterwards with photographs and a paragraph of text describing that time, Max would then comment on it. It hinted at the cause of the apocalypse but you never actually know why. Wow, collectables I actually enjoyed collecting, that's a rarity.

It is without doubt glitchy. I had a mine disappear and an enemy disappear that both required restarts of the game. Car's vanishing, game freezes but nothing game breaking. In fact if you go into this fully aware of the potential glitches you won't have any problems.

So, for me (now), I'm glad there was an online requirement and they decided to close the servers, otherwise I'd never have known.

• Like 2

Personally I always think it's fun to see this. The game's going offline, so it gets one last hurrah with a bunch of people who never experienced it before finally giving it a go. Some might say it's sad, but as long as people are having fun I think it's a positive.

Anyway, I finished it just a couple days ago, and I'd say my experience is pretty positive. I was fortunate enough to not run into any trophy-ruining glitches, and even though it took forever to finish, it is definitely very doable. I just wish the game were a bit faster? I've since moved on to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, and while that game isn't perfect, it certainly respects your time in how far you have to go to get content. In Mad Max there's just so much driving everywhere, and it takes ages to get anything done. I don't know, it's a decent game, just not great.

For anyone looking at doing this, I recommend you A, get started right now, and B, turn the game off completely when you're done playing it for the day. I have a theory that leaving the game running for too long is what makes it start to glitch out, given that other PS4 games can have similar problems when they're somewhat shoddily made, so just going into rest mode may not quite be enough. Plus, you get free scrap from it, so why not right? Best of luck to everyone trying this, I'd say it's worth it at the end of the day. Plus you'll have a sweet unobtainable after you're done.

Been a roller coaster ride for me:

I've bought the game when the server shutdown was made public, I had it on my, let's call it extended wishlist. Nothing I really want to play, but something I want to get someday.

Then I've played the first chapter, with the intention of getting the platinum as quick as I can, in case I need to start over. But I was hooked the moment I've started it. Combat is simple but fun, driving controls felt nice, only thing that was weird was the button layout.

I've played until I had two scrap crews and stopped after that until the challenge was completed for it.

Only starting the game once a day collecting my scrap, backed up my save on USB and started going for the camps and stuff while on my way to missions.

Playing through the game was a lot of fun, until it wasn't anymore.

There's a margin with collectibles in my opinion, and they went way overboard with it.

Marked locations are a nice thing to have, but having to drive to a location for a single piece of scrap ... that's just not fun anymore.

During the cleanup the game felt more like work than playing a game, checking if every camp is fine, every insigna counted, all wasteland missions correct, every scavening location registered ... not fun!

I had it in my backlog since it was given out with PS+ and it's something I'd looked at numerous times, but kept putting off because of various glitches. Last time I looked at it there was the bug with the races so I never bothered starting it or buying a physical copy/setting up a proxy to download an earlier version. With the announcement that servers were shutting down, the realisation that there was an online component with an associated trophy and that the bug with the races had been fixed in a later patch, I finally started it.

I didn't encounter any major glitches, just some minor ones like getting stuck in geometry, but I was extremely cautious in checking my counters after every scrap location/insignia and saving every hour or two (and then backing up those saves every 10). I didn't want to risk screwing it up later by going for the scrap crew challenges only and doing the rest after the shutdown so I just did it all to make it my 180th platinum. I think it took about 70-80 hours overall which is on the longer side of plats I've done, but it wasn't too bad. It was grindy, especially toward the end, but fortunately I'd made decent progress on scrap locations and the challenges while doing the main story and side missions so it wasn't as grindy as it could've been.

Overall, I'd recommend people play it if they like Ubisoft-style open world games or like the Mad Max films. It's not perfect by any means, but I genuinely enjoyed the vehicle and melee combat systems and definitely had more fun with it that I was expecting even with the open world checklist gameplay. I might be more charitable because I got it from PS+ rather than bought it for full price though.

I did big rush yesterday to unlock all scrap crews so I can start earning for that inbetween my daily play sessions. Now though I'm starting to 100% various areas. I really want to make sure I got all the scrap locations and such done so I can make sure I haven't missed anything. I haven't really run into any glitches but jumped into a couple areas too early before I could advance and had to jump into an old save as to not screw anything up.

Currently just planning to complete the main collectibles just so I know for sure their relates challenges are done. Did all the balloons and minefields tonite gonna start jumping on scarecrows and sniper towers next tomorrow. 

I too am now playing it because of the challenges potentially going down soon.

The game has its issues. I do not like the combat a lot, it feels clunky at times. Using the X button for pretty much every action was not a very good decision. I keep having to drop a melee weapon or move a fuel can out of the way to pick up loot for example. The driving is hard to control. The glitches are numerous,

And despite all that, I am still enjoying the hell out of it!

• Like 1

I only picked it up because I read about the shutdown. I think I grabbed the game on plus or something, but honestly didn't have much interest in it until now. Back in the day I remember hearing it had middling to poor reviews and it didn't sound all that great so I just never bothered with it.

That said however, I actually did quite enjoy playing it. It's certainly no masterpiece, and can be quite repetitive once you've played it for a bit (also it has a weird control scheme that takes some getting used to), but I did have quite a bit of fun (albeit the repetitive kind) going through the whole thing. I was worried about the infamous glitches that the game had so was quite relieved when I finally got the trophies I needed. And despite how it initially looked, I didn't find getting the platinum a particularly long grind. Certainly I have platted games with far worse ones.

I had it in my backlog for a long time, even before it became a PSPlus game. So the shutdown was definitely a trigger to finally get on with it :) 

And since the game is back in the charts of 'most popular games this week' since the announcement, I was clearly not the only one! :D 

I also did the whole game in one go and not just the scrap challenges because of the possibility that the scavenging locations and a container in Pink Eye territory could glitch.

Had no trophy related glitches or glitches that required to replay a part of the game, but I got some other glitches that I found a solution for in the end.

1. No storms: I got no storms for over 20h and the reason was probably because I had a main mission in Act 3 active with the objective 'Go to the underdune'. Since that's at the other side of the map I left it unfinished for over 20h and started clean-up. Only after I finally finished that main mission I got storms again. First one was after finishing the mission, travelling to Jeet, leaving his stronghold and only a few minutes later I got one. From then on I got 1-2 storms every session I played.

2. There's a challenge about destroying large sniper towers. I still needed 2 towers for that challenge while I only had 1 red sniper on my map. Thing is: those large sniper towers are the towers in front of camps and you can destroy them by shooting or harpoon pulling the cables that keep them up. I only killed the sniper without taking down the tower in a few cases. So it has nothing to do with the snipers you have to kill to reduce threat.

3. Gum shoe challenge to kill cars of Stank Gum legion. Those cars only spawn in Deep Friah's territory. Not a single car of them spawned whatever I tried. But I was playing for a long time in that session in which I also completed the final mission in Act 4 with Stank Gum. I think that mission triggers a 'not spawning' for those vehicles. Completing Act 5 didn't fix it but in the end I only had to restart the game. Since then I got them every time within a minute after leaving Deep Friah's stronghold.

It took me about 2 weeks to finish by playing a few hours after work every day and playing most of the weekends :)

3 hours ago, StealthID said:

Started it earlier today.

Just cruising along. Have one crew setup so far. Been clearing the camps and whatnot 100% before moving on.

Dude. As someone who's completed the story and 90% of the challenges, as tempting and "completionist" as you may wanna be starting out, you're gonna fuck yourself at the end game If you clear every camp out 100% before then. Unless you're focusing on all combat challenges, you aren't gonna have any dudes to fight against almost anywhere lessen you wanna drive around for an hour hoping to find one or two shitheels on the side of the road. (Specifically talking about the "unstoppable" challenge and/or the challenges for disarming guys and the breaking jaws challenge. Leave like 5-6 camps for later. Trust me. 

4 hours ago, StealthID said:

Started it earlier today.

Just cruising along. Have one crew setup so far. Been clearing the camps and whatnot 100% before moving on.

18 minutes ago, BSKkayfabe said:

Dude. As someone who's completed the story and 90% of the challenges, as tempting and "completionist" as you may wanna be starting out, you're gonna fuck yourself at the end game If you clear every camp out 100% before then. Unless you're focusing on all combat challenges, you aren't gonna have any dudes to fight against almost anywhere lessen you wanna drive around for an hour hoping to find one or two shitheels on the side of the road. (Specifically talking about the "unstoppable" challenge and/or the challenges for disarming guys and the breaking jaws challenge. Leave like 5-6 camps for later. Trust me. 

And some combat challenges are easier once you unlock more skills and upgrade Max.

On top of that I would add: First get all 4 scrap crews in the stronghold as well. With only 1 scrap crew you might not make it in time if the functionality stops working at the end of the month. 1 scrap crew caps at 500 scrap it can give in one go.

Complete the story up to unlocking Pink Eye's stronghold and then build the scrap crews. No need to do an extra mission to unlock Deep Friah's stronghold.

You can select a project in a stronghold to track in which locations the required parts are to speed things up :)

Edited by Kolm
  • Like 1

I started it with the server shutdown announcement and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Yeah, boring game, lack of weapons and enemies here and there, but fun at times. I didn't had any glitches. In fact, I was just taking care of not dying while scavenging. I think almost all glitches where patched along the way, so make sure you don't die and you should be fine.

My strategy was to end the story while creating the scrap crews. As some zones are locked until you do a concrete mission, I played all story and secondary missions all together and finished the game. Then cleaned the map zone my zone while completing remaining objecives, and lastly the races, that were easier than expected.

Edit: Oh, don't trust anyone telling something you can't do if you clean all zones. You can do ALL challenges postgame and with all zones cleared.

Edited by breakXedge

I also started the game only after the server shutdown announcement.  Managed to finish the platinum in a few weeks and luckily didn't hit any glitches, although I went into them prepared just in case.  I kept two save files going, always verifying the scavenger location counts before updating them.  I also checked challenges frequently and made sure to complete as many of them as I could while going through each area.

I actually really enjoyed the game.  It was definitely a pleasant surprise.

15 minutes ago, breakXedge said:

I started it with the server shutdown announcement and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Yeah, boring game, lack of weapons and enemies here and there, but fun at times. I didn't had any glitches. In fact, I was just taking care of not dying while scavenging. I think almost all glitches where patched along the way, so make sure you don't die and you should be fine.

My strategy was to end the story while creating the scrap crews. As some zones are locked until you do a concrete mission, I played all story and secondary missions all together and finished the game. Then cleaned the map zone my zone while completing remaining objecives, and lastly the races, that were easier than expected.

Edit: Oh, don't trust anyone telling something you can't do if you clean all zones. You can do ALL challenges postgame and with all zones cleared.

That's entirely correct!

But some combat and car challenges are easier if you don't have to search for specific locations that still have sufficient enemies post clean-up. They exist but you have to know where they are...

I focused on the combat challenges first, especially for opportunities to get the fill your fury meter in X seconds.

Checking them regularly to see what I have left to work on :)

Tips: Don't clear out all the convoys. Leave a few. As long as you don't clear out the lead car, they respawn over and over. I'd also leave a few camps. As long as you aren't collecting the scrap, etc..they respawn enemies to focus on combat challenges. Some scavenging locations won't be accessible from the get go even though they are on your map. Some are tied to wasteland missions or story related missions and you have to progress further into the story to get to them. There's one in gas town where you'll be missing 3 scrap until you progress further into the story. I'd also recommend doing the races as you go to unlock vehicles you don't own. Use the archangels and focus on their challenges, you don't have to drive the Magnum Opus all the time. The most important one though is to get your scrap crews up and running at 4 of the locations as the servers will be shut down Oct 31st. 

The combat challenges aren't so hard to do after the game, but the car ones are annoying if you don't have any convoys left.  I know you can do them by summoning a car and then doing what you need to do it and then repeating that multiple times, but the rewards from convoys aren't substantial and it just seemed infinitely easier to get in the required archangel and using the convoy.  I know I did the one for grinding 5 cars to death with the required archangel on a convoy in Jeet's territory.  Took probably about as long as it would to summon, set up, and grind down one car.  For Roadkill car challenges, just use the Death Races, and Buzzards only come out at night, so for them, I suggest just summoning a car.

Started it when I heard the news a couple weeks ago. I played a bit of it (up until finishing Jeet's stuff), but have other games that I'm more interested in, so I just log in every day and collect the scrap from Jeet's place (~140 per day) I'm at like 1700/2000 at the moment

1 hour ago, BSKkayfabe said:

Dude. As someone who's completed the story and 90% of the challenges, as tempting and "completionist" as you may wanna be starting out, you're gonna fuck yourself at the end game If you clear every camp out 100% before then.

Just to clarify, I meant I'm 100%ing the required locations en route to unlocking the scrap crews. I'm doing the insignias, finding the scraps etc to 100% that location, rather than just killing the dudes and whatever the objective is. This will minimize additional backtracking later.

I've literally turboed past everything that isn't a main mission objective.

• Like 1

I started the game because the servers were shutting down and I knew I wouldn't attempt it if platinum was unobtainable. Mad Max was one of those games that was on my radar to try someday, but as we all know, there is always the next hyped game to play before you touch your extended wishlist. Well, I finished it last night and am I ever glad I gave it a go. 

I enjoy games where you clean up maps in open worlds: Horizon Zero Dawn, Assassin's Creed, whatever. Give me lots of side tasks to do and I am happy. That said, the mechanics should be fun and engaging. Also, I never leave everything till the end to deal with or rush the main story. I made sure to clean up any scavenging locations and combat challenges as I progressed through the acts, so I didn't really feel like I was bored at any point in time. Between Acts 3 and 4 I did a long stretch of just doing side stuff and did get that overwhelming feeling due to the sheer amount of scrap locations. However, once I neared the end and trophies began popping up one after another, I felt pretty sad it was coming to an end. Playing after work every day and about half the weekends, I managed to finish in about 2 weeks.

I went in being aware of the main glitches (190/191 and Pink Eye container), so I made sure to always be careful looting the last item in the location, do my math regularly, use all save slots with 3-4 hour increments, and never leave location objectives incomplete. Initially I set up three scrap crews and did just fine with the Dividend challenge. Being careful this way, I never experienced game-breaking glitches or had to reload an earlier save. A few minor bugs I ran into were enemies de-spawning mid-fight (happened twice) and my car losing engine sound on a rare occasion. 

The main story was lacking for me. It was cheesy and poorly written, never really delving deeper into motivations or character development. Keep in mind though, this is based on an 80s franchise when action films didn't even know what motivations or character development was, so it felt kind of appropriate. Honestly, I would have been fine just cruising around, thundrepooning enemy cars, and looting camps. Where writing lacked, I think they more than made up in location design. I thought the more complex structures were all unique and made you think about approaching them properly. Even something small, like a camp in the dunes under the bridge, where you have to harpoon a ladder to reach it - just great design. Another hidden camp in the cliffs only had like 1-2 scraps, but featured painted hearts on the wall and a pair of embracing skeletons on the floor, and you immediately knew their story. The historical items revealed fascinating background information bit by bit too. If this level of detail was put into the main story, I think Mad Max would have been an amazing game.

As for challenges for Up to the Task trophy, I did most of them naturally through playing. I did leave 2 Gutgash convoys running just in case, but being aware of what you need to do to complete challenges and using every opportunity to execute those tasks should set you up really well towards the end. I was most concerned about Rattling Your Dags, Unstoppable, and Let's Be Overly Specific challenges. Thankfully, I got lucky and didn't have to farm any of them. I achieved Rattling without trying while fighting a lot of enemies at once in a 5-skull camp. Unstoppable popped up while I was doing the boss fight after Gastown races. And Overly Specific one was kind of a fluke. I drove out to do my last wasteland mission, which was to find the suspension upgrade in an underground bunker. I went underground, did my thing, and was about to climb out, when a storm hit. So, I am sitting there by the entrance, waiting for it to pass, when two enemies vehicles just drive up to Magnum Opus. Don't know if they followed me or what, but I saw two red markers right next to me. Just as I was deciding what to do, one got smashed by the flying debris, so I quickly changed my car to the correct archangel configuration, ran outside, jumped into Magnum Opus, and immediately thunderpooned the enemy, earning me Overly Specific. I had to jump out and run back to the bunker right away, because my car was getting smashed up pretty bad and was already on fire. So just be aware of your objectives and seize the opportunities whenever possible. I think I was left with 5-6 car specific challenges to deal with post game.

• Like 3

I played this when it first came with PS Plus and I got hit with the 190/191 glitch and I cracked the shits and didn't touch it until I read the server's are getting shut down. I've started a fresh game, completed all missions, working on all scavenging posts and scarecrows at the moment. Just breaking up the things I need to do bit by bit, letting the challenges come naturally. I've always enjoyed this game, here's hoping it goes a lot smoother than last time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papert0wng1rl said:

*snip*

Excellent post! I completely agree with your assessment. I thought they did a great job with the environment, especially the camps. Every camp felt unique and although it wasn’t immediately apparent, there was a linear path to clear every camp so not much backtracking.

Also, mnerves will be happy to never have to clear out the Buzzard camp in the Dunes again. :P