Trumpet_Boi_208

Share any unpopular gaming opinions here!

319 posts in this topic

I've thought of some ones of my own, maybe not controversial though

- GTA3 is the best Grand Theft Auto, sure it's a bit clunky now, but it has the most memorable locations, best radio stations, RISE FM, MSX FM etc

- Warcraft 1 is the best Warcraft game, also has the best music in AWE32, best OST of the games.

- Online only games should be illegal, they should have an offline variant of every mode that has bots in it to simulate online play. Online should only be a tacked on feature of any 100% offline game.

- Tekken 6 is the best version of Tekken

- Resident Evil 6 has the best combat in a RE game, makes the remakes and both Revelations feel clunky.

- The best hack and slash games are Dynasty Warriors games, every game with melee combat system is just a copied variant of Dynasty Warriors 2 from 2001

- Minecraft is a clever and well thought out and planned idea with excellent execution, but it just isn't a fun game

Also agree with others

- Trophies were a mistake

Edited by enaysoft

I never understood the hype about FFX 🤷🏻‍♂️

1. Kirby games peaked over 15 years ago
  2. Yoshi’s Island on SNES is the only great game in the series. The rest of Yoshi games range from okay to straight trash.
  3. Spiderman 2018 is just decent; The main missions are good overall, but the side content is repetitive and in some cases boring. 
  4. Ghost of Tsushima’s presentation is kinda mediocre. The transitions from cutscene to gameplay varies in quality, the letterbox is distracting, and cutscenes during basic missions are less expressive than the 3D era GTA games.
  5.  Crash 3’s vehicle stages are god awful and is just padding.

12 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Honestly you're the first guy to say this, because back in 2010 when the game released my friends were all over that shit. I don't know if you played on the Xbox 360 or the PS3, but when I played on the 360 during that time, it was a real blast to play.

Of course, this was years before Rockstar Games released Grand Theft Auto V and GTA Online, which I consider to be when Rockstar itself really started going downhill. RDR Online in it's prime was a lot of fun, loved doing the showdown bit at the beginning and then having the multiplayer match be your standard Call of Duty esque experience, just albeit slower.

Ah my apoligies I thought you were talking about RDR2 Online. I've never played the original RDR, let alone online.

When I played GTA Online I didn't find it nearly as fun or engaging. I would of thought Rockstar would deliver a good multiplayer for RDR2, but I guess I was wrong. Microtransactions completely kill the multiplayer experience.

Facts. The micro-transactions ruin the entire fun of the game. Someone who's just starting out can already buy a flying bike and/ or jet by paying 50+ euros/ dollars to Rockstar up front. Don't really get the fun of that.....?

Edited by its_ArchroniX

1 minute ago, Alex_Gorbatschow said:

"Mafia 1 Remake is a masterpiece"

Seriously the story is great but the game is completly unpolished. Its one of the very few games where i got a game breaking bug. Furthermore i have lots of frame drops and invisble things i can interact with. It seriously needs a lot of updates!

By the way Mafia 3 which has the Reputation of a buggy mess ran way better on my ps4!

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, it basically has that 1930s aesthetic and feel going for it that is popular in western culture, particularly American culture as that time period is an important piece of history.

Can't say I know the story because I haven't played it, but if it's a bit like Mafia 2 with the way they handled Vito and the other characters, I should enjoy Mafia 1.

If anything, LA Noire was more innovative, but was criticized because every stupid kid thought it was going to be a Grand Theft Auto experience, when it was far and away from that.

4 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, it basically has that 1930s aesthetic and feel going for it that is popular in western culture, particularly American culture as that time period is an important piece of history.

Can't say I know the story because I haven't played it, but if it's a bit like Mafia 2 with the way they handled Vito and the other characters, I should enjoy Mafia 1.

If anything, LA Noire was more innovative, but was criticized because every stupid kid thought it was going to be a Grand Theft Auto experience, when it was far and away from that.

I would also never call it a masterpiece, but lots of player even on psnp do it. And Thats an opinion i could never share.

Edited by Alex_Gorbatschow

I see no issue with loot boxes/microtransactions for cosmetic items.

Mario & Zelda are overrated.

😬

7 minutes ago, its_ArchroniX said:

Unpopular opinion: Bethesda is way past its prime and are completely irrelevant in the current gaming industry.

I'm going to put a spin on this and say let's not pretend this is an unpopular opinion because a great majority of the gamer base that has stuck with Bethesda over the years will agree with you.

Shit rolls from the top. If people didn't think the CEOs of EA, Activision and Bethesda weren't full of their own shit, think again.

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

1. Battleborn was an incredible game crippled by the worst launch possible, including its very in depth mechanics and lack of a proper tutorial, which made it daunting to newcomers. It's genuinely sad that only the most bread and butter MP games (e.g. Overwatch) make it big.

The main problem with Battleborn's launch (bare in mind that I never played it, only the Beta) was that the idiot PR Team at Gearbox, were actively pushing it as a competitor to Overwatch, I can't be bothered to find a link but I'm sure a lot of people can remember the tweets in the run up to the release of both games. The stupid thing was that Overwatch and Battleborn weren't even similar genre's aside from the fact of them both having heros and being FPS. Gearbox are a terrible company who have no idea how to market things properly and they've gone seriously downhill since the glory days of Borderlands 2 initial release on PS3 and 360.

My unpopular opinions:

• Final Fantasy XV was a really enjoyable game, not the best in the series, but very good adventure and graphically superb. (I actually feel the exact same way about FF XIII, seriously love that game.
  • Enter the Gungeon is overrated and really hard to get into. Out of the 'god tier' roguelikes Binding of Isaac is by far the better game.
  • Microtransactions aren't the plague on the industry that people make them out to be. Just don't fucking buy them.
  • Assassin's Creed series doesn't deserve the hate it gets. There's been a few duds but pretty much every game in the series is still fun and replayable to this day. Revelations > Brotherhood
  • Souls games don't deserve the love they get. I understand the appeal, but it's the gaming equivalent of smashing your head against a brick wall until the wall collapses. Just don't understand how that's fun.
  • Now this is the real one that might get people on here riled: Ratalaika (Insert any other easy trophy game publisher here) aren't really that bad. Seriously check my trophy list I've played a fair amount of these as well as Vita stacks. Yeah they 'dilute' platinums, I guess, if you're really that bothered, but if people want to play them and enjoy watching their trophy/plat count go up, then leave them to it. Too many trophy elitists hurling insults at people playing what they want to play. Life's too short man, get all the plats 🙃

1. The Nintendo Switch was the best console of this generation for me- a graphical and performance downgrade was well worth the portability.

2. Nothing that Xbox is doing for next generation is appealing to me in any way, shape or form- I don't care about cloud gaming or Game Pass (I collect physical), the Xbox Series S is a simply terrible idea and there is literally nothing they could possibly do to make up for the embarrassment that was the Xbox One.

3. Game Pass itself is a scam at worst, the game equivalent of the McDonald's Pound/ Dollar/ Euro-Saver menu at best- folks excited for the new Fable are gonna be really disappointed when it turns out to be at the same level of quality as Crackdown 3

4. There really, really, really doesn't need to be a new Mass Effect or Dragon Age game from BioWare- they're gonna screw it up.

5. Resident Evil 6 is not a bad game

6. Bethesda are a rubbish company and have been for almost a decade. Microsoft's acquisition of it was way overblown- they wasted $7.5 billion acquiring Zenimax.

7. On the flipside of my previous point, I really do hope that Bethesda start putting out excellent games now and I wouldn't mind if those games are exclusive to Xbox, I'll happily buy them- Xbox needs more games, just as they needed to entice players with Game Pass and other features because they dropped the ball so hard last gen, they're going into this new generation from a very weak position.

8. I tried very, very hard over the years but I just could never get into Final Fantasy IX 

9. Skyrim is the best The Elder Scrolls game

10. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time is just not a great game to me; Majora's Mask, however, is a masterpiece.

11. Abby is the best character in The Last of Us Part II and the writing in that game is among the finest seen in the industry. The vitriol towards the game, Neil Druckmann and others involved was an embarrassment to the community on the scale of Gamergate.

12. User reviews are far less reliable than critic reviews- not all critics are equal though.

9 minutes ago, HelixNebula_x said:

Souls games don't deserve the love they get. I understand the appeal, but it's the gaming equivalent of smashing your head against a brick wall until the wall collapses. Just don't understand how that's fun.

On one hand I completely agree with you. Soulsborne games often get overhyped and they aren't for everyone. For casual gamers it's extremely hard to get into these games.

On the defending side, in games like Call of Duty and FIFA you also repeat the same thing every time. You start a match, either win or lose that match only to see yourself doing the same thing 5 minutes later. So yeah, Soulsborne games can get repetitive and if you die you have to repeat what you've just done again, and perhaps again and again but it doesn't differ from other games in that aspect. It's a hard game of course, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad game.

And it's still better than Call of Duty zombies, you'll never win there, you just do better every time, but 'winning' is impossible. You can keep sashing your head against that wall but it'll never break down. I don't know what's worse.

Mechanically, Witcher 3 is clunky and just overall not very fun. Couldn't get into it. Specifically combat.

Edited by mareepx
elaborated slightly

9 minutes ago, HelixNebula_x said:

Gearbox are a terrible company who have no idea how to market things properly and they've gone seriously downhill since the glory days of Borderlands 2 initial release on PS3 and 360.

They also refuse to let go of the Duke Nukem license despite not doing jack shit about it. I guess it's not worth ranting about a childhood I absolutely loved. A Duke Nukem remake in the fashion that Wolfenstein and DOOM got is sorely needed.

Other than that, terrible company indeed. Their CEO is a complete clown.

10 minutes ago, HelixNebula_x said:

Microtransactions aren't the plague on the industry that people make them out to be. Just don't fucking buy them

Well there's a catch. Cosmetics and people buying microtransactions in single player games, let them. Doesn't bother me. But don't let microtransactions ruin an aspect of multiplayer *cough* GTA Online *cough*.

Can't stand that shit. Star Wars Battlefront 2 showed us what not to do with microtransactions/lootboxes.

12 minutes ago, HelixNebula_x said:

Assassin's Creed series doesn't deserve the hate it gets. There's been a few duds but pretty much every game in the series is still fun and replayable to this day. Revelations > Brotherhood

Revelations wasn't bad, but not as good. Assassin's Creed III was a mess at launch. Assassin's Creed Liberation was sort of weak. Unity was garbage. Syndicate was simply okay. Origins and Odyssey are both good, but not really my forte in Assassin's Creed.

Some games I love, others not so much. Guess that applies to every single Assassin's Creed fan.

15 minutes ago, HelixNebula_x said:

Souls games don't deserve the love they get. I understand the appeal, but it's the gaming equivalent of smashing your head against a brick wall until the wall collapses. Just don't understand how that's fun.

They don't hold your hand and the games just throw you right in after the initial section. Dying repeatedly is basically a learning process until you finally overcome the boss or enemy you're trying to beat.

The steep learning curve gets a lot of people, but once you get past it, the games can become highly addicting. Bloodborne is still one of my favorite games out of everything I played on the PS4. The formula is absolute brilliance, and even more impressive considering that everyone else that tried to copy the Souls formula (Lords of the Fallen) have either failed magnificently or missed the mark by a fair margin.

18 minutes ago, HelixNebula_x said:

Now this is the real one that might get people on here riled: Ratalaika (Insert any other easy trophy game publisher here) aren't really that bad. Seriously check my trophy list I've played a fair amount of these as well as Vita stacks. Yeah they 'dilute' platinums, I guess, if you're really that bothered, but if people want to play them and enjoy watching their trophy/plat count go up, then leave them to it. Too many trophy elitists hurling insults at people playing what they want to play. Life's too short man, get all the plats 1f643.png

Yeah you may call me one of those elitists. What exactly is the principle of rewarding people the platinum after beating a few short levels? That is something I fail to understand, and before you say "Well you did SIX Sound Shapes stacks", it wasn't worth it to me. Just...... meh.

Ratalaika seems to have a thing for oldschool 8-bit/16-bit nostalgia, which is the only real positive I have for them because they have helped attract the retro gaming community to play some of their games.

22 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

1. The Nintendo Switch was the best console of this generation for me- a graphical and performance downgrade was well worth the portability.

Gameplay over graphics is the best way to describe the portable console. Wish more people would have the same priorities in gaming. Beautiful vistas are great sure, but there are plenty of indie games and a selection of Nintendo games that are definitely worth playing, that don't focus on impressive graphics.

23 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

2. Nothing that Xbox is doing for next generation is appealing to me in any way, shape or form- I don't care about cloud gaming or Game Pass (I collect physical), the Xbox Series S is a simply terrible idea and there is literally nothing they could possibly do to make up for the embarrassment that was the Xbox One.

3. Game Pass itself is a scam at worst, the game equivalent of the McDonald's Pound/ Dollar/ Euro-Saver menu at best- folks excited for the new Fable are gonna be really disappointed when it turns out to be at the same level of quality as Crackdown 3

Xbox killed their exclusives, Forza is the only thing going for them. Halo, Gears of War, all dead.

I'm pissed off with the fact that Microsoft is trying their hardest to kill off physical gaming, and they're completely on board with DRM bullshit, streaming for gaming and forced subscriptions. Because once they got people by the throat with digital, do you honestly think they're going to charge fair prices? Fuck no. They probably won't even give people a fair shake in refund policies in digital games.

That's why I still buy physical. I legally own the game, not renting through a glorified service until Sony or Microsoft one day decides to say "Fuck you, we're taking away your digital rights and management, so your digital library is kaput".

I hate going in that direction, and I will never buy the digital only PS5 console. Well Sony is already going in that direction with the demise of the PS3/Vita lineup from the mobile/web PS Store, so yeah.

28 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

6. Bethesda are a rubbish company and have been for almost a decade. Microsoft's acquisition of it was way overblown- they wasted $7.5 billion acquiring Zenimax.

Not exactly an unpopular opinion, because there is literally tons of people on Reddit and YouTube who feel the same way about Bethesda. Only the most dedicated and persevering Bethesda fanboys would say otherwise.

Microsoft just threw money away with their acquisition. And let's be honest, Microsoft was never good about handling video game studios on their own.

29 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

10. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time is just not a great game to me; Majora's Mask, however, is a masterpiece.

We were all kids back then, and Ocarina of Time just blew our minds away. The game in my opinion just didn't age all too well over time. I may go back to it purely for nostalgia. The Hyrule Field theme is one of the touching themes I ever heard in any video game.

32 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

11. Abby is the best character in The Last of Us Part II and the writing in that game is among the finest seen in the industry. The vitriol towards the game, Neil Druckmann and others involved was an embarrassment to the community on the scale of Gamergate.

The leak was a massive joke. Everybody was jumping on Neil Druckmann's nutsack because they didn't like where the story was going in the game. I bet half of those idiots bought the game anyway.

The meltdown Neil had to put up with is living proof how entitled and full of their own shit the gaming community has become in the past few years. Not including this community, plenty of guys here I love following and reading their comments. At least this place is still niche.

34 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

12. User reviews are far less reliable than critic reviews- not all critics are equal though.

Reviewers nowadays just suck. Metacritic is complete garbage. Most critics are biased, user reviews are more 'hurr durr, look at me'. There are a few people who can make quality reviews that aren't simply praising or bashing a product, but those guys are few and far between.

IGN is mostly irrelevant now. Gaming journalists are more like second rate pundits for CNN and MSNBC than they are actual journalists who care for the medium they're covering.

There's nothing wrong with the Fall Guys' Infallible trophy (as long games have to have trophies). :devil:

CoD zombies used to be fun but now it's just a convoluted mess with Easter Eggs that aren't even Easter Eggs anymore because they are mandatory to see the ending of each zombies map.

24 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Revelations wasn't bad, but not as good. Assassin's Creed III was a mess at launch. Assassin's Creed Liberation was sort of weak. Unity was garbage. Syndicate was simply okay. Origins and Odyssey are both good, but not really my forte in Assassin's Creed.

Some games I love, others not so much. Guess that applies to every single Assassin's Creed fan.

They don't hold your hand and the games just throw you right in after the initial section. Dying repeatedly is basically a learning process until you finally overcome the boss or enemy you're trying to beat.

The steep learning curve gets a lot of people, but once you get past it, the games can become highly addicting. Bloodborne is still one of my favorite games out of everything I played on the PS4. The formula is absolute brilliance, and even more impressive considering that everyone else that tried to copy the Souls formula (Lords of the Fallen) have either failed magnificently or missed the mark by a fair margin.

Yeah you may call me one of those elitists. What exactly is the principle of rewarding people the platinum after beating a few short levels? That is something I fail to understand, and before you say "Well you did SIX Sound Shapes stacks", it wasn't worth it to me. Just...... meh.

Ratalaika seems to have a thing for oldschool 8-bit/16-bit nostalgia, which is the only real positive I have for them because they have helped attract the retro gaming community to play some of their games.

Just quoted these bits as they're what I wanted to reply to but I'll number it to break it all up.

1. I can kind of understand where you're coming from here, but AC is one of those series that everyone just seems to bash on constantly whether on here or on Youtube etc. Everything up to III are fantastic in my opinion, with III having some definite redeeming qualities. Fucking love the tomahawk for example. Liberation is meh, Unity is a far better game now than it was at launch and Syndicate I really enjoyed but this might be an English bias. Origins and Odyssey are both more RPG centric than I'm used to with AC, but I really enjoyed Origins. Odyssey I haven't played enough of yet but I like that the ships are back.
  2. I can definitely see the appeal to the Souls games, it's just not what I want to play after a hard day at work. Would rather mong out with something easy going and laid back. Go to at the minute is playing Farm Together with my SO because it's just mindless and relaxes my brain. I do intend to go back to Bloodborne at some point but I may just play it on PS5 at this point for the upgraded resolution. My friend recently beat it and thoroughly enjoyed it so that does give me more incentive to eventually get round to it.
  3. I can understand the elitism to be honest, trophies did used to be far more difficult and more of a challenge to get, but there is still plenty of games like that about. The aforementioned Souls games, as well as rock solid indies like Super Meat Boy or even fighting game plats are generally always pretty difficult. The difficult games are there for people to go for, so I don't get why people have a problem with the easy stuff too. Again they do function brilliantly as wind down games after work, or even a break between lengthier projects. Not sure if you use TrueTrophies but Ratalaika were instrumental in helping me reach my goal of a year long trophy streak. Some are good (Gravity Duck, Devious Dungeon) whereas others are just straight trash (Red Bow, Foxyland) but the same can be said for all games. It's to each their own at the end of the day I guess.

1. Virtua Fighter series is the best beat-em-up series available and its a crying shame there hasnt been a new one...yet.

2. Jason Schrier is an annoying vg journo hack.

3. The following series suck: Zelda, Halo, Gears of War, Fifa, Madden, NBA 2Kwhatever.

4. Yknow what sod it, sports games suck. Im a massive football (soccer for americans) and mma guy but have never bought games of either. 

5. Platformer(s) are an outdated genre of games which should of died in the 90s. 

6. We Happy Few doesnt suck (so far...admittedly)

7. Minecraft is difficult to get into. 

8. Microsoft gamepass isnt all its hyped up to be.

9. 99% of remastered/remade/renewed/reeeeeeeeeeeee screams i have no new ideas 

10. Chie is best girl.

Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space 3 were both very enjoyable co-op games. 

The PsVita died for our sins lol

Edited by Maitre
Missed a word

The PS3 Prince of Persia games are shit. I don't mean they are overrated, but OK. They are absolute SHIT. Warrior Within is one of the worst games on that system that I've played.

8 hours ago, MandA60VISE said:

Elaborate why you hate the opera part. Is it the whole bit or just a certain part? It helped Celes break out of her shell, introduced Setzer, and Ultros's comedic relief is always splendid. Aria di Mezzo Caraterre is also an impressive song that was able to emulate opera-like vocals with just chiptune instrumentals. The laugh scene is fine too. It shows Yuna is starting to get along with Tidus and trusts him. Tidus understood the stress Yuna was going through and was trying to relieve some of it. Young people do silly things like that all the time, especially if they're starting to fall in love, so it wasn't embarrassing, cringy, or whatever to watch.

I don't hate the opera part.

I find the people dissing 10 for the laughing scene  as if it's the first time  the series did something cringy dishonest, when even the (now, because it actually sold very bad in the West) beloved 6 did that much much worse, and many other Final Fantasy too, there are many situation where Squaresoft/Enix wants to convey a scene or specific emotion, but has problems in doing so, the laughing part in 10, due to  Square not having that much of an experience in VA (they wanted non-famous VA so that people wouldn't  connect the characters to the actors), Squall random psychopathic tendencies (translation problems), the opera scene sounding like a dog because, I don't fucking know, fact is, Square always had cringy moments, and they even embraced them  (spoony bard, weapons of magitek destruction etc), now suddenly in the 2010s a bunch of people go on about that scene as if it detracts 10 for beung one of the best, hell no, it doesn't work like that.

14 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

the opera scene sounding like a dog

I haven't a clue what you're trying to say with that statement. Do you mean you didn't enjoy the music? Yeah, opera and theater music isn't for everyone, especially if it's limited to 16 or 32-bits chiptune. It primarily sounds like you're dealing with trolls online with your claim that others think X is bad for a one minute scene. There's definitely more one could have issue with in X than the laughing scene. VI, and all the games in the franchise, have flaws but it seems like you're just upset some strangers on the internet meme on or take the piss out of your favorite. Also, my opinion is that all the things you mentioned aren't cringey at all.

Death Stranding is an underrated game, but it’s zip lines mechanics ruined the story and simplified gameplay. 

The Last of Us 2 was an appropriate sequel with a beautifully weaved storyline with realistic character development in post apocalyptic environment. 

Recent iterations of Assassins Creed has ruined the franchise and is a simplified money grab that has nothing to do with what people once liked about the series.

Releasing the same game on three different generations of consoles shows that game development is no longer your companies business model.