kingjavs

Popular games you couldn't get into/didn't like.

201 posts in this topic

I have a couple that really bother me that I cant get through/dont stick with

Red Dead 2 and Witcher 3. Actually really like both, just seem to get 10-15 hours in, put it down and not manage to go back. I've re-started Witcher 4 times now, get to the bloody baron and get distracted.

I'm telling myself now I'll go back and play it on the PS5 with the boosts its getting!

That Persona 5. Horrific game.

PS2 level graphics, repetitive music, repetitive gameplay, generic anime story, generic anime characters and 90% of the "game" was watching cutscenes that just went on and on and on.

It was laughably bad.

Edited by scabab

Just now, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

well you are just plain wrong about PS2 graphics and I guess the rest, Persona 5 was amazing with great music, a great cast, great art style and 90% of the game certainly was not cutscenes

No I'm not. The game literally looks like a HD PS2 game. It looks drastically worse than Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age.

The "art style" is just anime, which practically every JRPG but Final Fantasy uses because its cheap.

The overwhelming vast majority of the gameplay involved slowly tapping X to read more dialogue. The main side thing to do were the Confidants, more dialogue. Most side activities, like watching TV, fishing, playing games all involved just read more dialogue.

I’m about to piss off everyone in this thread, but Titanfall 2.

The story was kind of cool, but Master difficulty was cheap and the opposite of what the game was trying to be, which is a movement shooter.

The multiplayer felt more frustrating than fun IMO. I felt as if there was too much downtime between actual pilot encounters, and taking down general grunts are boring, because they’re not a significant threat to the game, at all.

Just now, scabab said:

No I'm not. The game literally looks like a HD PS2 game. It looks drastically worse than Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age.

The "art style" is just anime, which practically every JRPG but Final Fantasy uses because its cheap.

The overwhelming vast majority of the gameplay involved slowly tapping X to read more dialogue. The main side thing to do were the Confidants, more dialogue. Most side activities, like watching TV, fishing, playing games all involved just read more dialogue.

dude, I know you're trolling when you're saying it looks worse than FF XII. Plus you deleted your comment anyways so yeah, you be trolling

1 minute ago, scabab said:

Also, it's a JRPG, ever heard of them? They have tons of dialogue and cutscenes but also tons of battles

2 minutes ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

dude, I know you're trolling when you're saying it looks worse than FF XII. Also, it's a JRPG, ever heard of them?

You're delusional or a fanboy if you think Persona 5 looks anywhere remotely as good as Final Fantasy XII.

The graphics are that bad the characters literally can barely emote. They just stand there with blank facial expressions and the only way any expression is displayed is through a separate drawing in the corner when the character speaks.

I've played a lot of JRPGs and none of them were anywhere near the horrendous cutscene fest that this game was. You can play for an hour or two at a time and do absolutely nothing but watch cutscenes.

7 minutes ago, scabab said:

You're delusional or a fanboy if you think Persona 5 looks anywhere remotely as good as Final Fantasy XII.

The graphics are that bad the characters literally can barely emote. They just stand there with blank facial expressions and the only way any expression is displayed is through a separate drawing in the corner when the character speaks.

I've played a lot of JRPGs and none of them were anywhere near the horrendous cutscene fest that this game was. You can play for an hour or two at a time and do absolutely nothing but watch cutscenes.

dude, you are simply delusional. I am not a fanboy, but you are a blind hater, clear as day.

Just now, scabab said:

Oh no you are. Nobody in their right mind would say Persona 5 looks better because it absolutely doesn't look close. You also have an anime avatar and anime fans are known to be particularly obsessed with Persona 5.

ffxii1-1920x960.jpg

This is a 2006 game that looks enormously better than this from 2015.

persona1-ed.jpg

nope, P5 wins out with it's artstyle of course, which is great. Also, couldn't recognize Mayuri? Tsk Tsk

nope, P5 wins out with it's artstyle of course, which is great. Also, couldn't recognize Mayuri? Tsk Tsk

sure FFXII has a grand scope, but seriously look at that model on the left side. It's trash, style wins in the end

3 minutes ago, scabab said:

Oh no you are. Nobody in their right mind would say Persona 5 looks better because it absolutely doesn't look close. You also have an anime avatar and anime fans are known to be particularly obsessed with Persona 5.

ffxii1-1920x960.jpg

This is a 2006 game that looks enormously better than this from 2015.

persona1-ed.jpg

I love both FF12 and P5, but you're reaching dude

Sure P5 isnt for you, and you arent a fan of the art style, you just have to say that. You are clearly missing what its aiming to achieve though. Thats fine, again, not for everyone. But come on, FF12 NPC's dont even have faces....

Ah yes that generic "anime style" look. "Oh it looks good because it looks like an anime!".

The one that every JRPG has to go for because they don't have the money to do something like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

Even then compared to something like Dragon Quest XI or Ni No Kuni 2 it still looks pitiful. You know the graphics are awful when they need to add a drawing of the character to show emotions because the character models are too poor. 

9 minutes ago, scabab said:

Ah yes that generic "anime style" look. "Oh it looks good because it looks like an anime!".

The one that every JRPG has to go for because they don't have the money to do something like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

Even then compared to something like Dragon Quest XI or Ni No Kuni 2 it still looks pitiful. You know the graphics are awful when they need to add a drawing of the character to show emotions because the character models are too poor. 

dude, you're crazy. The SMT/Persona games have a distinct are style that just aren't generic anime designs. 

9 minutes ago, Smiddy23 said:

I love both FF12 and P5, but you're reaching dude

Sure P5 isnt for you, and you arent a fan of the art style, you just have to say that. You are clearly missing what its aiming to achieve though. Thats fine, again, not for everyone. But come on, FF12 NPC's dont even have faces....

exactly

Edited by NOWITSREYNTIME17

1 minute ago, Smiddy23 said:

But come on, FF12 NPC's dont even have faces....

Is that meant to be ironic? Because Persona 5 NPC genuinely don't have faces?

the-real-world-problems-behind-persona-5

Even the NPCs in the 2006 look better than in Persona 5.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/b/b4/Ktjn3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170924150419

At least that's not a mouth attached to a shiny plastic doll.

1 minute ago, scabab said:

Is that meant to be ironic? Because Persona 5 NPC genuinely don't have faces?

the-real-world-problems-behind-persona-5

Even the NPCs in the 2006 look better than in Persona 5.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/b/b4/Ktjn3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170924150419

At least that's not a mouth attached to a shiny plastic doll.

you clearly fail to understand the artstyle of the game. They aren't meant to have faces and it works, in FF XII they do have faces and they are pretty crap

9 minutes ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

dude, you're crazy. The SMT/Persona games have a distinct are style that just aren't generic anime designs. 

They could not be more generically anime designed if they tried.

Persona-5-the-Animation-Cast.jpg

Any anime fan can immediately point out the generic stereotype of each character without even playing the game. You can tell which one is the intellectual female/class president type, the ditzy one, the geeky one, the mousey/shy one at a glance.

They've even got a generic Chopper/Happy anime animal mascot in there. 

3 minutes ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

They aren't meant to have faces and it works, in FF XII they do have faces and they are pretty crap

A plot workaround to get around not making competent NPC character models. No different from how Spider-man on PS1 had a plot device so you couldn't see the ground.

Considering how awful the character models are for the main cast it's not at all surprising.

Just now, scabab said:

They could not be more generically anime designed if they tried.

Persona-5-the-Animation-Cast.jpg

Any anime fan can immediately point out the generic stereotype of each character without even playing the game. You can tell which one is the intellectual female/class president type, the ditzy one, the geeky one, the mousey/shy one at a glance.

They've even got a generic Chopper/Happy anime animal mascot in there. 

classic smt/persona artstyle. Not bland at all, and a great cast of characters. Futaba best girl, keep being wrong though, it's quite amusing

Far Cry 4 really bored me. The villain was good, but other than that it was just more of the same with a few added features and a blander protagonist.

classic smt/persona artstyle. Not bland at all, and a great cast of characters. Futaba best girl, keep being wrong though, it's quite amusing

Calm down your offended feelings. Just because it's classic for the series doesn't stop it from being generic. They're generically designed in every game. They aren't badly designed but they could not be more generic if they tried. 

The Last of Us. Managed about an hour, but it didn't pull me in.

2 minutes ago, scabab said:

Calm down your offended feelings. Just because it's classic for the series doesn't stop it from being generic. They're generically designed in every game. They aren't badly designed but they could not be more generic if they tried. 

but it's literally not bland, you could say that every western rpg is even more bland if you go that route. It's artstyle at least has its own distinct flair