Popular games you couldn't get into/didn't like.

kingjavs

I have a couple that really bother me that I cant get through/dont stick with

Red Dead 2 and Witcher 3. Actually really like both, just seem to get 10-15 hours in, put it down and not manage to go back. I've re-started Witcher 4 times now, get to the bloody baron and get distracted.

I'm telling myself now I'll go back and play it on the PS5 with the boosts its getting!

• Like 3

I’m about to piss off everyone in this thread, but Titanfall 2.

The story was kind of cool, but Master difficulty was cheap and the opposite of what the game was trying to be, which is a movement shooter.

The multiplayer felt more frustrating than fun IMO. I felt as if there was too much downtime between actual pilot encounters, and taking down general grunts are boring, because they’re not a significant threat to the game, at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scabab said:

You're delusional or a fanboy if you think Persona 5 looks anywhere remotely as good as Final Fantasy XII.

The graphics are that bad the characters literally can barely emote. They just stand there with blank facial expressions and the only way any expression is displayed is through a separate drawing in the corner when the character speaks.

I've played a lot of JRPGs and none of them were anywhere near the horrendous cutscene fest that this game was. You can play for an hour or two at a time and do absolutely nothing but watch cutscenes.

dude, you are simply delusional. I am not a fanboy, but you are a blind hater, clear as day.

• Like 2

Just now, scabab said:

Oh no you are. Nobody in their right mind would say Persona 5 looks better because it absolutely doesn't look close. You also have an anime avatar and anime fans are known to be particularly obsessed with Persona 5.

ffxii1-1920x960.jpg

This is a 2006 game that looks enormously better than this from 2015.

persona1-ed.jpg

nope, P5 wins out with it's artstyle of course, which is great. Also, couldn't recognize Mayuri? Tsk Tsk

Just now, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

nope, P5 wins out with it's artstyle of course, which is great. Also, couldn't recognize Mayuri? Tsk Tsk

sure FFXII has a grand scope, but seriously look at that model on the left side. It's trash, style wins in the end

3 minutes ago, scabab said:

Oh no you are. Nobody in their right mind would say Persona 5 looks better because it absolutely doesn't look close. You also have an anime avatar and anime fans are known to be particularly obsessed with Persona 5.

ffxii1-1920x960.jpg

This is a 2006 game that looks enormously better than this from 2015.

persona1-ed.jpg

I love both FF12 and P5, but you're reaching dude

Sure P5 isnt for you, and you arent a fan of the art style, you just have to say that. You are clearly missing what its aiming to achieve though. Thats fine, again, not for everyone. But come on, FF12 NPC's dont even have faces....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, scabab said:

Ah yes that generic "anime style" look. "Oh it looks good because it looks like an anime!".

The one that every JRPG has to go for because they don't have the money to do something like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

Even then compared to something like Dragon Quest XI or Ni No Kuni 2 it still looks pitiful. You know the graphics are awful when they need to add a drawing of the character to show emotions because the character models are too poor. 

dude, you're crazy. The SMT/Persona games have a distinct are style that just aren't generic anime designs. 

9 minutes ago, Smiddy23 said:

I love both FF12 and P5, but you're reaching dude

Sure P5 isnt for you, and you arent a fan of the art style, you just have to say that. You are clearly missing what its aiming to achieve though. Thats fine, again, not for everyone. But come on, FF12 NPC's dont even have faces....

exactly

Edited by NOWITSREYNTIME17
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scabab said:

Is that meant to be ironic? Because Persona 5 NPC genuinely don't have faces?

the-real-world-problems-behind-persona-5

Even the NPCs in the 2006 look better than in Persona 5.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/b/b4/Ktjn3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170924150419

At least that's not a mouth attached to a shiny plastic doll.

you clearly fail to understand the artstyle of the game. They aren't meant to have faces and it works, in FF XII they do have faces and they are pretty crap

Just now, scabab said:

They could not be more generically anime designed if they tried.

Persona-5-the-Animation-Cast.jpg

Any anime fan can immediately point out the generic stereotype of each character without even playing the game. You can tell which one is the intellectual female/class president type, the ditzy one, the geeky one, the mousey/shy one at a glance.

They've even got a generic Chopper/Happy anime animal mascot in there. 

classic smt/persona artstyle. Not bland at all, and a great cast of characters. Futaba best girl, keep being wrong though, it's quite amusing

2 minutes ago, scabab said:

Calm down your offended feelings. Just because it's classic for the series doesn't stop it from being generic. They're generically designed in every game. They aren't badly designed but they could not be more generic if they tried. 

but it's literally not bland, you could say that every western rpg is even more bland if you go that route. It's artstyle at least has its own distinct flair

• Like 1

Final Fantasy 7. JRPGs are hit or miss for me, this one was a miss and my experience with it is the main reason I am not buying the remake.

Uncharted series. Expected more than shooting galleries with the same generic story for each game I guess, if it wasn't for Nathan being a fun character this would have been much worse.

Dark Souls. Horrendously bad and not a single fun moment to be had there, definitely not recommended to people who like genuine challenges.

Monster Hunter World. Heard hype about the monster hunter series for many years, but in the end it was just damage sponge monster enemies with hilariously small movesets that often were recycled to the point of absurdity, and most of the melee weapons were so annoying to use that they would have made the game unplayable for me. One big grind, not exactly what I imagined it to be and despite having finished the main game 100% for completions sake I don't look back at it and think it was a great experience.

Assassins Creed. The first game of the series I played many years ago really turned me off from the series right away and I have never looked back. The ridiculous size of this series by now and the name Ubisoft being attached almost guarantees that it will stay that way.

12 minutes ago, scabab said:

I never said they were bland, they aren't bland. The character designs are fine, just extremely generic and what you'd expect in any run of the mill anime. 

It's art style is just anime. It's made to look like anime and they all do that. They are a dime a dozen.

Even amongst other games with the same style it still looks awful, with terrible textures and laughable character models. They can't emote. The characters in FFX could offer better movement and expressions than in Persona 5 and it's 2001 game.

dude, it's a PS3 game but it has an amazing art design for it's UI(and characters), great Menu transitions, a kick-ass soundtrack, addicting gameplay, and the turn based combat is as smooth as butter. You can disagree and dislike the game, but don't just say it's trash, that's a load of horseshit. That is all, don't bother responding because that's all that needs to be said

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion i completed it but really pushed myself to do so. I just wanted to give up after I entered the second oblivion gate and found out how poorly they were done. Quantity over quality never works and the oblivion gates are a great example. The gameplay also was a bit annoying. Great story and music though. But that’s pretty much it.

Edited by a10j12

5 minutes ago, scabab said:

It being a PS3 is no excuse when it's still a 2015 game that looks worse than a HD 2006 game. The characters aren't amazing, they're just one note stereotypes, the music is fine until you hear that same "You never see it coming" opening every single time you battle and the combat is extremely repetitive as it's a simple matter of applying the same weakness to the same enemy every single time.

The game is garbage. It's a non stop cutscene fest, the game has far more cutscenes than it does gameplay, cutscenes that drag on as long if not longer than in MGS4 but far more often and the most significant side activity in the game is just more cutscenes.

I can see why people obsessed with anime would adore it but it's a god awful game.

lmao, nice try I'm done with your trollery, read my previous comment

7 minutes ago, NOWITSREYNTIME17 said:

hellblade isn't like a souls game at all, what?

It is for me, because I have never played something like that, where you need to learn a "parry" concept and all that stuff. Obviously, it is not the same in terms of level design, difficulty, duration... but is more common than anything that I put in my profile.