Popular games you couldn't get into/didn't like.

kingjavs

The most recent God of War. Like I said before, the narrative is engaging, but the gameplay itself is both too slow and too complex for me to enjoy. I got Santa Monica's need to switch it up and try something new, but to take it in entirely new direction was something I'm not sure was a good idea.

Kind of surprised that this was the only popular game that I can list off the top of my head. Well, not too surprising; I guess I've been subconsciously avoiding what the majority has been deemed popular, as they all seemed to fall away from tastes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scabab said:

No I'm not. The game literally looks like a HD PS2 game. It looks drastically worse than Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age.

The "art style" is just anime, which practically every JRPG but Final Fantasy uses because its cheap.

The overwhelming vast majority of the gameplay involved slowly tapping X to read more dialogue. The main side thing to do were the Confidants, more dialogue. Most side activities, like watching TV, fishing, playing games all involved just read more dialogue.

Maybe JRPGs aren’t your thing lmao

Actually I have a couple of games that are pretty popular but I couldn't get into or didn't quite understand the hype for.

Any Battle Royale - The most obvious one for me personally. Either it's Fortnite, PUBG, H1Z1 or CoD Warzone I just can't seem to understand the glamour and fame the BR games get. I tired them once but get utterly frustrated by them and just don't think they're very fun overall.

Any Final Fantasy game - I always wanted to get into JRPG games and tried Final Fantasy XV once but didn't understand a single thing about it. It's the weirdest and most complicated game I've ever played.

Any repeating games - Don't misunderstand me, I like shooters overall and for the people who like sports games, well that's good for them. But buying the same recycled formula of a game every damn year....? Maybe I'm old fashioned when it comes to this but every Call of Duty since Black Ops 2 has been the exact same with some addition to it of course but still. And whoever is idiotic enough to buy the same soccer game every year just because they changed the 20 to 21 in the title is beyond me....

Grand Theft Auto V - By the end of the story I think Trevor is the only character I really gave a damn about. Franklin is boring, Michael is this stuck up, angry Baby Boomer character who treats his dysfunctional family like shit, a number of missions felt forced, the game in general has far too much padded crap. There's a reason why I haven't finished all the single player, and god forbid me dealing with the morons in GTA Online. Some of those kids on there are enough to give me a nervous breakdown.

Saints Row 3, Saints Row IV  & Saints Row Gat Out of Hell - Pretty meh franchise in general. I remember playing Saints Row 2 around a decade ago trying to think why this franchise was popular amongst console gamers.

The entire series is basically a mockery of American culture. Everything from the style to how the missions play out. Saints Row just feels like a poor man's Grand Theft Auto. They couldn't go the route of South Park and have a bunch of fart jokes and profane statements. Well, they did here and there, but I felt the humor in Saints Row 3 and Saints Row IV was lacking.

Definitely won't play the franchise again. Agents of Mayhem looks pretty doubtful, and from what I heard is a lot worse than even Saints Row Gat Out of Hell.

Crysis - I may get a little flak for this, but for a game that even the best PCs of the day (2007ish) had a hard time running, there's not a lot I see that is amazing.

The game is basically a Call of Duty esque campaign. I can't comment on the multiplayer since I never played Crysis 2 or Crysis 3, but what is so great about Crysis? I'm a guy in a suit that can go in stealth mode and bypass entire sections of military, what's so special about that?

Don't see what was so good about it.

God of War (2018) - I made a number of reasons in the past in why I don't like this game as much as so many other people, but to sum things up, I was mostly disappointed.

We still don't know how Kratos ended up in a Norse mythology world after the events of God of War 3. He had a wife who is deceased, and a son who Kratos refers to as 'Boy'. "Come here Boy". "Over here Boy". "Don't say that to me Boy". A good chunk of story was Kratos calling his son 'Boy'. Dude I mean cmon, can't you be a bit more respectful?

It's clear the game designers were wanting a more The Last of Us esque type of experience here and it shows. I couldn't wait for the story to be over. The boy was like your child tag along kid looking up to you, but as soon as you give him discipline, he runs off and calls you mean, which is what a spoiled child does to their parents.

In The Last of Us you had Ellie and Joel, in God of War 2018 you had Kratos and Arteus. See the similarities and connection? Even Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn before it had the main cast act in such a fashion and style that is best compared with The Last of Us.

Instead of giving us the high octane, adrenaline pumping action the past God of War games gave us, you have your hand held the entire way in God of War 2018. The enemy encounters at times were just pathetic. The same floating eyes over and over, and the same trolls that father and son help bring down.

In short, I enjoyed Marvel's Spider-Man a LOT more. While God of War 2018 was a good game, I will never play it again for trophies. Digging for treasure and searching for Odin's Ravens was basically the icing on the shit cake.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Sort of comparable with God of War 2018 because this game was influenced by The Last of Us as far as it's story structure and character development is concerned, but wasn't as bothered with this one.

I absolutely loved Chloe in Uncharted 2. She was basically the alternate woman, a stark contrast to Elena Fisher's personality and shtick. Chloe was greatly underused in Uncharted 3, she was there to help Nathan Drake, Sully and Charlie Cutter pull off a job, then she was gone for the rest of the game.

Several years later we finally get to play as her in The Lost Legacy, but this time around, she wasn't all too exciting. She has Nadine as her companion, and they maintain a very uneasy, fragile relationship with each other. Many segments feel like direct copies of Uncharted 4, but this time around, the adventure isn't quite as adventurous. Nadine at one point breaks up from Chloe in absolute disgust. While Nadine was the badass tough girl in Uncharted 4, in The Lost Legacy I found her rather aggravating and annoying. An important character from Uncharted 4 is literally shoehorned into the game, don't ask me why, but having that character there really felt forced.

Late in the game you are fighting your way through in a train section very reminiscent of Uncharted 2's crazy train segment, however this wasn't as exciting.

The game just felt off putting to me and I really wanted to love the characters, especially Chloe. But I just couldn't, because the shoehorning of a certain character felt completely against what the game was initially trying to do.

• Like 2

Oh boy, I have a lot of those... Few that did disappoint me more than I wanted:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - like most modern JRPGs it's to childish for me. Every time I hear about this or that great RPG about some student I fight with myself, I know I will hate it, but on the other hand.. people say it's good, so maybe this time it will be fun..

Dragon Quest XI / Dragon Quest Builders II - two different games, but same bad stuff. Story is kinda generic and graphics is... don't know why but it makes me angry in long run :D I really dislike that art style. Was pissed about DQXI not getting the 2D upgrade too, I would play it for sure then (I didnt research before I bought the PS4 version, that it has't got the switch 2d mode :/ )

Red Dead Redemption 2 - I didn't like GTA 3 and above.. this one is a bit even worse. Loved the wild west theme, but things to do are rather boring. Add to it clunky controls and not great story.

Fallout 3 NV - loved Fallout 1-3, but then it shifted to much from postapo to something I dislike. It should be more like Stalker.

Tales of series - I love those games and would love to play them till the end.. but I hate few mechanics in them, especially that you have to play with walkthrough to not miss most of the side content. I hate those kind of RPGs, with 80% of missable stuff/trophies. RPGs are like interactive books, you live as the heroes and want to cut off from the real world - it brakes the imersion, if you have to play with a guide open on the phone, to not miss this or that time bracket for a quest or something. Berseria did it way better than other games, but I still droped it at around 50%

Uncharted 1 - I did buy 1-4 a month after I bought PS4, was told is a must play. It was okey'ish till I did get to the part with those zombie monsters (or whatever that was).. I almost finished it anyways (for sure won't plat it though), got bored near the end. 

Final Fantasy XV - I dislike it becouse it had FF in the name... Story is crap (your father was killed, you lost your kingdom, girl you want to marry is in danger - doesn't care, lets chill with my bros), fighting is crap, open world is crap, driving for 60% of gametime is crap, 90% of quests are fetchquests...

Edited by Czajnikus

5 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

I find it incredibly annoying how you make progress, you have an unfortunate death and you lose everything and don’t spawn near your death, you just spawn miles away and lost everything.

Wait, don't you respawn at the nearest bed you've slept on? I believe you can place them anywhere, sleep, then respawn there and go grab your stuff if you die. 

For me it was The Last Of Us (and probably would be TLOU II as well). 

The game simply wasn't able to get me hooked on the world building, story telling and the characters. 

I hated Joel and I hated Ellie even more and the story bored me to death. :/

I really wanted to like it, seeing as how much it's hyped and praised, but to me it was one of the most boring games I've ever played, unfortunately.

God of War (2018) I'm currently playing and although I wasn't pumped for it I still feel disapponited - you mostly traverse through strange decorated corridors and it all feels forced and artificial. The combat is the only thing that keeps me playing and I'm not even a combat guy. Maybe I don't pay enough attention but the story makes no sense to me - Krato's wife has died and we have to bring her ashes to a certain mountain peak? Ok, that doesn't sound so bad.. except we have to jump to different 'realms' that are, as I already said, mostly corridors with different decorations. I know the old GoW formula was very tired, but while I'm playing this all I can think is how good the first two games were and I feel like playing them again instead.

The Witcher 3 - I am lost here to why it is so highly rated, it felt so boring, wooden, uninspired. The combat is a joke, you can't deny that. You can't aim with ranged weapons, what? I had to force myself to play it all the 50 hours and I didn't touch the DLCs, no thanks. To me this game is just another proof that hype can sell anything.

Skyrim - Pretty much the same as Witcher 3, except I lasted 8 hours.

Ghost of Tsushima- it is a great game and looks absolutely gorgeous but I got to the end of the first Act and I just don't feel motivated to continue. I see that it will run at 4K 60 FPS on PS5 so I'll wait until I get one before jumping back in.

Death Stranding- just couldn't be bothered. I'll get around to finishing it sometime, though I really wish I had started on my alt profile, now it's sitting at a B ranking (since I somehow have half the trophies despite only playing like 6 hours) and going sour.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Started it two times in the last 2 years en both times I quitted after about 5 hours or so. Gonna give it a third try in the future I think because with GTA V I also didn't like it right away from the start. 

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: I just couldn't find the motivation to play this game. Started like 5 or 6 times or so and never got past the first Oblivion gate. Just didn't like it enough. It's strange because I've played Skyrim for like 100+ hours and really loved that game. 

10 hours ago, griffin123456789 said:

I'm genuinely curious why you find the survival aspects nightmarish. I'm not even disagreeing or trying to argue with you, that's just a hilarious description xD. Funny thing is I can't disagree with your complaints, but I just loved the story so much. I guess I didn't mind shooting because I spammed the "snap/shoot" system. Though that isn't a defense for what is a pretty bad and clunky system. More embarrassing because the first game from ten years had better shooting.

I just thought it was too much - the health core and stamina core and horse core. Different consumables to boost each one, which are buried in some awkward menu. Although to be honest, none of these systems actually hindered my progress - they were just annoying. Like having to stop and eat every couple of days in GTA: San Andreas. 

• Like 1

I don't like The Witcher saga because I think their combat suck.

I'd like to enjoy Disgaea, but the more I played them the more I felt they are done for edgelords in the closet.

While I appreciate TLOU, I feel nothing playing the 1st and 2nd part. I just loathe stealth mechanics, and I didn't fancy their stories.

I played all GTAs, until 4. I'm so burned out of them that I didn't even play 5, or RDR2, or more sandboxes from Rockstar.

I find new Final Fantasy games a complete boredom, played FFXIII-2 ten minutes and since then I can't touch that saga. Zero hype for FF16.

I like fighting games, but find Mortal Kombat animations absolutely atrocious.

Done, for now.

Any battle royale game and most AAA games (I just genuinely don't care about like 95% of AAA games), so I can't really give any current gen games. However, there are some old popular games that I don't like:

The NES Castlevania games - 1 is fine until level 5. 2 is full of cryptic bullshit that you literally cannot figure out without a guide. 3's level design is idiotic and cheap.

Hudson's Adventure Island 2 - hear me out. I really liked 3 as a kid. Played 2 this year, and it is infuriating. Level design is stupid, it's almost like they expect you to just run through every single level (they made a game for speedrunners before speedrunning even existed).

Sonic games - I just feel like those games play themselves, and if you try to do anything you just ruin it.

Mega Man X3 - Mega Man is my favorite game series, but X3 feels extremely uninspired, there are tons of big empty sections that serve no purpose, two of the four armor parts are trash, the bosses' AI breaks constantly, there are about 4-5 different enemy types, and at the beginning of the game, you get wrecked in three hits. It just feels so boring, and it's a chore to play through.

And, I actually remembered some current games:

Minecraft - I like the game, but for me it's fun to watch and boring to play.

Teslagrad - it's a platform game for the PS4 and Vita (?). Tried to play it twice for trophies, and that's when I realized that I'm a casual trophy hunter :D This game pisses me off so bad, that I just couldn't bring myself to suffer through it just for trophies (and I feel most confident in platform games, so that's saying something).

Borderlands games - I get extremely confused by 3D games, and especially FPS games. Borderlands was one of the games I bought to get out of my comfort zone, but it felt really boring, and I didn't like the setting.

The Sims 3/4 - The Sims 2 on the PS2 was an awesome game. You could actually control your sims, it wasn't a point and click game, and that's why I liked 2.

Dishonored - another game that feels kinda boring. I really want to give this game another chance in the future, as it was on my wish list for like a year. I guess 1st person games are really not for me + I'm not digging the setting. I'm not a fan of games that take place before the 20th century.

• Like 1

Red Dead Redemption 2. Yeah I said it ?? Just couldn't get into it after the first few missions, even tho I played and enjoyed the original RDR.

Honorable mention is Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. After platting Origins, the next sequel just felt like it didn't stack up!

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 1

Any Call of Duty game I have played,  unfortunately my brother has put several on my account and I have attempted to go play through at least the campaign but was so bored so I have like 300 trophies I will probably never get. 

Metal Gear Solid: Peace walker, played on the PS3 and it is really a more mobile game being for the Vita originally and I couldn't get into its mission structure as a result. 

The Witcher 3, it had a really good story and some of the best side quests in a long time. However, I didn't care for the combat. I spent at least a  hundred and fifty hours on the game and thus levelled a lot but the game limits the number of abilities you can equip which is stupid. To my knowledge none of the buttons overlap in what abilities they control and I don't want to change my loadout for every encounter. (Exaggeration but you get my point) Geralt was very flexible in his abilities in the books so why is the game forcing me to pick one build over another, I should be able to be a master swordsman and sign wielder simultaneously. 

Horizon Zero Dawn. While I enjoyed the world building, setting and story, the gameplay felt dull after some time playing. Fighting machines felt repetitive, the human enemies were a joke, and the crafting felt tacked on. Even when I genuinely enjoying myself with it, something felt off and I can’t tell you what exactly.

The root cause of not enjoying it stemmed from this guy I was friends with at the time. He wouldn’t shut up about it until I played and over hyped it to hell. Every time he saw me playing, he’d send me a message asking how I was enjoying it or a sticker of Aloy giving a thumbs up. Every. Single. Time.

Borderlands. Now, I’ve only played the Pre-Sequal which I’ve heard is the worst in the series. It’s not bad and I can certainly see the appeal, but the humor and dialogue to me was cringe. Didn’t like any of the characters either. Overall I thought it was boring.

And again, I was playing with the guy I mentioned above, so that definitely soured my experience.

13 hours ago, scabab said:

I can see why people obsessed with anime would adore it's a god awful game.

I understand not liking it for whatever reason, but [objectively] it certainly doesn’t classify as god awful. I don’t even watch anime that much and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. It’s unfortunate you feel that way.