kingjavs

Popular games you couldn't get into/didn't like.

248 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, griffin123456789 said:

Bloody Baron is where I dropped it for about a year before revisiting it. I'm telling you, if you push past that section, work towards upgrading your decoctions and potions (which you can restock by meditating instantly, just make sure you have a single alcohest in your inventory every time you do it, seriously, use those potions, it makes the game way more interesting), you start to get in a rhythm that is quite addictive. Novigrad and Skellige are definitely the highlights of that game. The early area is a little uninteresting.

Also look online how to get Witcher gear if you haven't found the diagrams yet. That gear makes you overpowered for at least five levels of xp. Then you just look for the next school of Witcher gear when you've leveled up a couple times.

Sorry if that's a mouthful xD but it's a game that took me many years to get the platinum trophy in and I honestly think it's one of the best in the generation. Though if it really isn't up your alley, that's fine of course.

Oh it is, I just get strangely distracted away from it too easily and when I eventually come back to it have no idea whats happening.

Will admit I do get a little discouraged when running through an area thinking I'm all good, seeing something that looks worth killing, getting in range and discovering its way above my level and getting stuck not being able to get away. While I admit games can be too linear, that shit is frustrating as! Give me a challenge sure, but dont make me a shih tzu against a polar bear

I've completed a lot of games that are pretty popular, but which I found really really bad and overrated.

Some honorary mentions from the last year:

Fall Guys, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequal, Battlefield V, Star Wars: Battlefront 2, entire Just Cause series, Watch Dogs and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

2 hours ago, frontzie said:

The Last of Us. Managed about an hour, but it didn't pull me in.

Feel that, want to go back and try again, everyone seems to love it, but just cant.

2 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Final Fantasy 7. JRPGs are hit or miss for me, this one was a miss and my experience with it is the main reason I am not buying the remake.

Uncharted series. Expected more than shooting galleries with the same generic story for each game I guess, if it wasn't for Nathan being a fun character this would have been much worse.

Dark Souls. Horrendously bad and not a single fun moment to be had there, definitely not recommended to people who like genuine challenges.

Monster Hunter World. Heard hype about the monster hunter series for many years, but in the end it was just damage sponge monster enemies with hilariously small movesets that often were recycled to the point of absurdity, and most of the melee weapons were so annoying to use that they would have made the game unplayable for me. One big grind, not exactly what I imagined it to be and despite having finished the main game 100% for completions sake I don't look back at it and think it was a great experience.

Assassins Creed. The first game of the series I played many years ago really turned me off from the series right away and I have never looked back. The ridiculous size of this series by now and the name Ubisoft being attached almost guarantees that it will stay that way.

Uncharted is Sony's answer to Halo for me. Seems to have a huge following but is just run in to area, clear bad guys, move to next area. I'm clearly not getting something....

Monster Hunter World I bought day one thinking it was going to be amazing and worked out pretty quick it is pretty reliant on other people playing with you and I didnt have the patience to follow average clues. Didnt help it was a broken mess to begin with!

1 hour ago, xItsLesterx said:

Bloodborne. I know it's considered a PS4 GEM and I got some trophies for it but never finished it since I just couldn't get into it. Eventually I will get to it but it's gonna be awhile. It's definitely at the bottom of my backlog lol 

Absolutely adore this game but am so rubbish at it I cant finish it. Funnily enough I dont have too many issues with the bosses, its the groups of enemies that get me! In saying that I finally put it down and left it when I got to the 3 hooded dudes boss, the ones that all attack you differently. They wiped their ass so rough with me you'd assume I was 1 ply, there was nothing left in a hurry!

Really would love to finish it, but cant risk my controller hahaha

Last of Us.  I played a bit of it, don't know how far I got, I know it wasn't that far into it, at least past the opening sequence.  But then I just got bored of it.  Game didn't pull me in as such so I've not even tried getting another copy of it or anything like that.

GTA 5 was another one.  Got a bit into it, but I don't know, just couldn't really be bothered with it as much.  Al I recall was getting to that boat mission on the highway and that was about it.

37 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

GTA 5 was another one.  Got a bit into it, but I don't know, just couldn't really be bothered with it as much.  Al I recall was getting to that boat mission on the highway and that was about it.

I thought GTA 5 was pretty abhorrent. I played it on release on the Xbox 360 and went through the story mode. I just ended up confirming to myself that everyone of these characters was a giant piece of shit. Great action set pieces but it's a shame that there were no redeeming qualities in any of the protagonist trio.

Fallout: New Vegas and Tomb Raider 

Ah a warmongering thread :D

Dragon Ball FighterZ - I understand the appeal and fan tribute aspects of this game, however its one of the most boring things I have ever played. Could not stand it. 

Sekiro - completed it 3 times, platinumed it, grinded to hell and back, learned to defeat bosses by non cheesing them, it still felt severely lacking. Better luck with Elden Ring I hope. 

Death Stranding - my small ape brain can't comprehend the delivery service gameplay, even with the awesome story. That's my issue with Kojima games mainly (great man dont get me wrong), I don't have 500 IQ to comprehend all of his games' subtleties. 

Bayonetta - Ok here I genuinely do not get why people love this game. And I mean Bayonetta 1. Camera is monstrous, too much over the topness(fine line between stylish and ridiculous) and ssstupid as sin story. Again, fine line which has been removed. 

That's kinda it. Apart from Bayonetta, I get the appeal of other games, they are just not for me. 

1 minute ago, Copanele said:

Ah a warmongering thread :D

Dragon Ball FighterZ - I understand the appeal and fan tribute aspects of this game, however its one of the most boring things I have ever played. Could not stand it. 

Sekiro - completed it 3 times, platinumed it, grinded to hell and back, learned to defeat bosses by non cheesing them, it still felt severely lacking. Better luck with Elden Ring I hope. 

Death Stranding - my small ape brain can't comprehend the delivery service gameplay, even with the awesome story. That's my issue with Kojima games mainly (great man dont get me wrong), I don't have 500 IQ to comprehend all of his games' subtleties. 

Bayonetta - Ok here I genuinely do not get why people love this game. And I mean Bayonetta 1. Camera is monstrous, too much over the topness(fine line between stylish and ridiculous) and ssstupid as sin story. Again, fine line which has been removed. 

That's kinda it. Apart from Bayonetta, I get the appeal of other games, they are just not for me. 

Half naked lady = Shut up and Take my money 

15 minutes ago, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

Half naked lady = Shut up and Take my money 

I mean you are not wrong there xD

Minecraft. I must’ve tried playing it like 5 times, I spent like 4 hours on it in one go once and I just got tired of it because I find it incredibly annoying how you make progress, you have an unfortunate death and you lose everything and don’t spawn near your death, you just spawn miles away and lost everything. I saw my classmates and youtubers build things which then motivate me but I’m just not creative enough. 😐

3 hours ago, SnowStorm said:

Sekiro for me. Not a bad game at all, I just didn't quite get into it as much as other games. Love the Souls games, really enjoyed Bloodborne, I even really enjoy the Nioh games and the Surge (haven't started 2 yet). Sekiro though, I just couldn't get into it as much.I dropped it around the Guardian Ape. Yeah, one day I'll give it another shot, but I'm not in any rush anytime soon

Same here, I really tried. Love every souls release and Sekiro just didn't grab me in. I think it was mainly due to it missing what mainly pulls me in with the others, and thats the gothic/horror-esque environment. I also didn't find the combat that fun, so when pressed up against a challenge, I didn't quite have the drive to "git good" as I do with the souls series.

I kinda keep it to myself though, many fromsoft fans that love Sekiro will attack saying the problem is actually you and not the fact that you may just not like Sekiro. 😐

Final Fantasy from PS1+

Played a couple on SNES, but other than that, I have not touched a single FF game.

Last of Us, GTA, Red Dead, Witcher 3, Minecraft.

I way prefer the indies though. 

Edited by aZombieDictator

I’m not very fond of cinematic open world third person games, soooo this entire generation was pretty meh for me.

The most recent God of War. Like I said before, the narrative is engaging, but the gameplay itself is both too slow and too complex for me to enjoy. I got Santa Monica's need to switch it up and try something new, but to take it in entirely new direction was something I'm not sure was a good idea.

Kind of surprised that this was the only popular game that I can list off the top of my head. Well, not too surprising; I guess I've been subconsciously avoiding what the majority has been deemed popular, as they all seemed to fall away from tastes.

6 hours ago, frontzie said:

The Last of Us. Managed about an hour, but it didn't pull me in.

Same here, I went into it expecting the greatest game ever but found it dull. I just couldn't get into it so I never even bothered with the second one.

7 hours ago, scabab said:

No I'm not. The game literally looks like a HD PS2 game. It looks drastically worse than Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age.

The "art style" is just anime, which practically every JRPG but Final Fantasy uses because its cheap.

The overwhelming vast majority of the gameplay involved slowly tapping X to read more dialogue. The main side thing to do were the Confidants, more dialogue. Most side activities, like watching TV, fishing, playing games all involved just read more dialogue.

Maybe JRPGs aren’t your thing lmao

Actually I have a couple of games that are pretty popular but I couldn't get into or didn't quite understand the hype for.

Any Battle Royale - The most obvious one for me personally. Either it's Fortnite, PUBG, H1Z1 or CoD Warzone I just can't seem to understand the glamour and fame the BR games get. I tired them once but get utterly frustrated by them and just don't think they're very fun overall.

Any Final Fantasy game - I always wanted to get into JRPG games and tried Final Fantasy XV once but didn't understand a single thing about it. It's the weirdest and most complicated game I've ever played.

Any repeating games - Don't misunderstand me, I like shooters overall and for the people who like sports games, well that's good for them. But buying the same recycled formula of a game every damn year....? Maybe I'm old fashioned when it comes to this but every Call of Duty since Black Ops 2 has been the exact same with some addition to it of course but still. And whoever is idiotic enough to buy the same soccer game every year just because they changed the 20 to 21 in the title is beyond me....

Grand Theft Auto V - By the end of the story I think Trevor is the only character I really gave a damn about. Franklin is boring, Michael is this stuck up, angry Baby Boomer character who treats his dysfunctional family like shit, a number of missions felt forced, the game in general has far too much padded crap. There's a reason why I haven't finished all the single player, and god forbid me dealing with the morons in GTA Online. Some of those kids on there are enough to give me a nervous breakdown.

Saints Row 3, Saints Row IV  & Saints Row Gat Out of Hell - Pretty meh franchise in general. I remember playing Saints Row 2 around a decade ago trying to think why this franchise was popular amongst console gamers.

The entire series is basically a mockery of American culture. Everything from the style to how the missions play out. Saints Row just feels like a poor man's Grand Theft Auto. They couldn't go the route of South Park and have a bunch of fart jokes and profane statements. Well, they did here and there, but I felt the humor in Saints Row 3 and Saints Row IV was lacking.

Definitely won't play the franchise again. Agents of Mayhem looks pretty doubtful, and from what I heard is a lot worse than even Saints Row Gat Out of Hell.

Crysis - I may get a little flak for this, but for a game that even the best PCs of the day (2007ish) had a hard time running, there's not a lot I see that is amazing.

The game is basically a Call of Duty esque campaign. I can't comment on the multiplayer since I never played Crysis 2 or Crysis 3, but what is so great about Crysis? I'm a guy in a suit that can go in stealth mode and bypass entire sections of military, what's so special about that?

Don't see what was so good about it.

God of War (2018) - I made a number of reasons in the past in why I don't like this game as much as so many other people, but to sum things up, I was mostly disappointed.

We still don't know how Kratos ended up in a Norse mythology world after the events of God of War 3. He had a wife who is deceased, and a son who Kratos refers to as 'Boy'. "Come here Boy". "Over here Boy". "Don't say that to me Boy". A good chunk of story was Kratos calling his son 'Boy'. Dude I mean cmon, can't you be a bit more respectful?

It's clear the game designers were wanting a more The Last of Us esque type of experience here and it shows. I couldn't wait for the story to be over. The boy was like your child tag along kid looking up to you, but as soon as you give him discipline, he runs off and calls you mean, which is what a spoiled child does to their parents.

In The Last of Us you had Ellie and Joel, in God of War 2018 you had Kratos and Arteus. See the similarities and connection? Even Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn before it had the main cast act in such a fashion and style that is best compared with The Last of Us.

Instead of giving us the high octane, adrenaline pumping action the past God of War games gave us, you have your hand held the entire way in God of War 2018. The enemy encounters at times were just pathetic. The same floating eyes over and over, and the same trolls that father and son help bring down.

In short, I enjoyed Marvel's Spider-Man a LOT more. While God of War 2018 was a good game, I will never play it again for trophies. Digging for treasure and searching for Odin's Ravens was basically the icing on the shit cake.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Sort of comparable with God of War 2018 because this game was influenced by The Last of Us as far as it's story structure and character development is concerned, but wasn't as bothered with this one.

I absolutely loved Chloe in Uncharted 2. She was basically the alternate woman, a stark contrast to Elena Fisher's personality and shtick. Chloe was greatly underused in Uncharted 3, she was there to help Nathan Drake, Sully and Charlie Cutter pull off a job, then she was gone for the rest of the game.

Several years later we finally get to play as her in The Lost Legacy, but this time around, she wasn't all too exciting. She has Nadine as her companion, and they maintain a very uneasy, fragile relationship with each other. Many segments feel like direct copies of Uncharted 4, but this time around, the adventure isn't quite as adventurous. Nadine at one point breaks up from Chloe in absolute disgust. While Nadine was the badass tough girl in Uncharted 4, in The Lost Legacy I found her rather aggravating and annoying. An important character from Uncharted 4 is literally shoehorned into the game, don't ask me why, but having that character there really felt forced.

Late in the game you are fighting your way through in a train section very reminiscent of Uncharted 2's crazy train segment, however this wasn't as exciting.

The game just felt off putting to me and I really wanted to love the characters, especially Chloe. But I just couldn't, because the shoehorning of a certain character felt completely against what the game was initially trying to do.

Oh boy, I have a lot of those... Few that did disappoint me more than I wanted:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - like most modern JRPGs it's to childish for me. Every time I hear about this or that great RPG about some student I fight with myself, I know I will hate it, but on the other hand.. people say it's good, so maybe this time it will be fun..

Dragon Quest XI / Dragon Quest Builders II - two different games, but same bad stuff. Story is kinda generic and graphics is... don't know why but it makes me angry in long run :D I really dislike that art style. Was pissed about DQXI not getting the 2D upgrade too, I would play it for sure then (I didnt research before I bought the PS4 version, that it has't got the switch 2d mode :/ )

Red Dead Redemption 2 - I didn't like GTA 3 and above.. this one is a bit even worse. Loved the wild west theme, but things to do are rather boring. Add to it clunky controls and not great story.

Fallout 3 NV - loved Fallout 1-3, but then it shifted to much from postapo to something I dislike. It should be more like Stalker.

Tales of series - I love those games and would love to play them till the end.. but I hate few mechanics in them, especially that you have to play with walkthrough to not miss most of the side content. I hate those kind of RPGs, with 80% of missable stuff/trophies. RPGs are like interactive books, you live as the heroes and want to cut off from the real world - it brakes the imersion, if you have to play with a guide open on the phone, to not miss this or that time bracket for a quest or something. Berseria did it way better than other games, but I still droped it at around 50%

Uncharted 1 - I did buy 1-4 a month after I bought PS4, was told is a must play. It was okey'ish till I did get to the part with those zombie monsters (or whatever that was).. I almost finished it anyways (for sure won't plat it though), got bored near the end. 

Final Fantasy XV - I dislike it becouse it had FF in the name... Story is crap (your father was killed, you lost your kingdom, girl you want to marry is in danger - doesn't care, lets chill with my bros), fighting is crap, open world is crap, driving for 60% of gametime is crap, 90% of quests are fetchquests...

Edited by Czajnikus

5 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

I find it incredibly annoying how you make progress, you have an unfortunate death and you lose everything and don’t spawn near your death, you just spawn miles away and lost everything.

Wait, don't you respawn at the nearest bed you've slept on? I believe you can place them anywhere, sleep, then respawn there and go grab your stuff if you die. 

For me it was The Last Of Us (and probably would be TLOU II as well). 

The game simply wasn't able to get me hooked on the world building, story telling and the characters. 

I hated Joel and I hated Ellie even more and the story bored me to death. :/

I really wanted to like it, seeing as how much it's hyped and praised, but to me it was one of the most boring games I've ever played, unfortunately.

God of War (2018) I'm currently playing and although I wasn't pumped for it I still feel disapponited - you mostly traverse through strange decorated corridors and it all feels forced and artificial. The combat is the only thing that keeps me playing and I'm not even a combat guy. Maybe I don't pay enough attention but the story makes no sense to me - Krato's wife has died and we have to bring her ashes to a certain mountain peak? Ok, that doesn't sound so bad.. except we have to jump to different 'realms' that are, as I already said, mostly corridors with different decorations. I know the old GoW formula was very tired, but while I'm playing this all I can think is how good the first two games were and I feel like playing them again instead.

The Witcher 3 - I am lost here to why it is so highly rated, it felt so boring, wooden, uninspired. The combat is a joke, you can't deny that. You can't aim with ranged weapons, what? I had to force myself to play it all the 50 hours and I didn't touch the DLCs, no thanks. To me this game is just another proof that hype can sell anything.

Skyrim - Pretty much the same as Witcher 3, except I lasted 8 hours.