Popular games you couldn't get into/didn't like.

kingjavs

Just now, Thornhorn7 said:

Fair enough, they seem to have a high completion rate. Personally, I don't think completion rate matters too much and prefer to just stick to games I enjoy (apart from those easy plats I got a few years back that I will always regret lol), but that's just my opinion.

Thats fine, I know people with lesser completion rates than you have and many people simply do not care about it, I just wanted to reject the point that completing a game automatically means the game was an enjoyable experience for the player?

GTA 3 is seriously really hard to get into. I just don't have as much fun as any other gta. But back in the day as a kid, gta was like the best thing in the world. I didn't even know there was a story back then lol. I just put cheats in and had fun.

Also I guess doom eternal didn't really keep me in after I beat it. I feel good games are always something you can go back and play anytime and always have a blast. I probably will get a ultimate version with all the dlc when that comes out since there will be a lot of new content. Then when I'm done I'll sell it like I did before. 

Resident evil 3 remake. I'm at the boss phase with the big drums he runs around shit. Haven't gone back since. Still have it tho so it's not like doom eternal where I sold it pretty quickly after I finished. 

I'm always open to go back to games though. Every new dat you are a different person than the day before. Don't keep yourself limited.

Mass Effect 2. I’ve tried to start it many times but I’ve never stuck with it for more than a couple of hours. Going to try out the first ME eventually and hope I can get into the series from there.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Incredibly boring game. I really can’t say that I enjoyed any aspect of it. Dull characters, nonsense story, literally a handful of combat situations throughout the entire game.. very disappointing.

2 hours ago, Thornhorn7 said:

Looks like you still loved it enough to get the platinum 1f600.png

That's my only question here LOL. Like, he even got the platinum on the version of the game that takes the longest commitment to it. That's a lot of hate for such a major time-sink.

But to be fair to @scabab I do actually understand his POV and can't disagree with all the statements in general, I just don't personally agree with some of them. The only thing I think was actually objectively wrong was using a FFXII comparison with it, it's apples and oranges in that case.

I love persona 5 and it is indeed one of my favorite JRPG's/PS4 titles, but he aint wrong about the anime tropes, and it mostly appealing to a certain kind of person. Also, it is a game where you can spend literal hours watching cutscenes. If you're not into that, it is fair to consider it a flaw as personal opinion.

Though he does say the gameplay sucks which I disagree completely with as well, it's one of the best takes on turn-base IMO.

1 hour ago, PeachXHime said:

Gravity Rush immediately comes to mind, likable art style but the game itself was a drag to play, sadly. Telltale game levels of boringness.

I am always on the fence with this game when it goes on sale. This post is keeping me on that fence. Thanks for nothing! ?

• Like 2

Here be my list:

Call of Duty: Black Ops. That's right, I'm dissing the single most popular game on this site. To be fair, FPS isn't one of my favorite genres in general, but I thought I'd give this one a try with all the hype it was getting upon its release. It didn't grab me at all and I gave up on it pretty quickly.

Any Grand Theft Auto Game after the original. May as well diss the world's most popular franchise as well. The very first GTA was great and I had a blast (played it on PC). I played GTA 3 on the PS2 and had fun for a little while, but I got bored with it and never finished the game. I haven't had an interest in any GTA game since.

Red Dead Redemption. Another game that was fun for awhile, but I lost interest and never finished it. The second game doesn't internet me either.

Bayonetta. I'm currently playing this on the Switch, and it feels like a bit of a chore. I'm close enough to the end that I'll probably finish it though. Hope the second one is better, I own that too.

Minecraft. Tried it for a little bit on the Switch, don't get the appeal at all. Building games just aren't my thing.

2 hours ago, scabab said:

The game has little to nothing going for it. It looks terrible, there's no denying that. It's an extremely long game with constant back to back cutscenes that don't know when to end, every cutscene is dragged out and retells the same point over and over again. The game has 40 hours of cutscenes and another 20 hours for confidant cutscenes. There's far less gameplay than there is cutscenes.

The dungeons are dragged out and are mainly made up of thin linear corridors. The battle system is simplistic and repetitive, a means of applying certain spell types on the same enemy each time.

Mementos is just randomly generated corridors.

The story and the characters are as generic as they come. 

The side content is worthless. It mainly boils down to reading more dialogue. 

The music is repetitive. There's a reason games like this don't use songs with vocals for their battles. This game didn't know better.

So what does it have going for it? It doesn't look good, it doesn't play good, it doesn't have a good story to fall back onto. It's worthless.

Well, that’s just simply your opinion and there’s no changing that. I heavily disagree with almost everything you had a problem with. I’m at a point now in the game where the battles are starting to feel repetitive (I personally think most RPGs/JRPGs have this issue), but I still enjoy it very much.

But man, you’re being so dogmatic when it’s all just an opinion. A lot of people (myself included) love the game, so just accept that and move on.

• Like 4

I didn't care for Red Dead Redemption on PS3, so I didn't bother playing RDR2. 

There was something wrong with Bioshock's controls on PS3 for me that caused me to reject that game. I'm open to trying to play it again, though. I think I have the remaster trilogy downloaded thanks to PS+.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel has rubbish progression and story compared to the first two. Currently working on the 3rd with a friend but I've enjoyed a lot of it so far.

Dragon Quest XI just seemed really generic to me. I got into Act II I think but I just stopped playing for something else and haven't felt a need to go back to it.

I spent a couple days playing The Elder Scrolls Online. I didn't like Terraria. I stopped playing MGSV when they introduced enemies that follow you even in stealth and I hadn't really liked it before that.

Fighting robot dinos and exploring the old world ruins and discovering that backstory was the only part of HZD I liked. I'm kinda done with the "protagonist with a mystery past" so Aloy was boring, and the local politics and the plot surrounding them just weren't interesting to me.

4 hours ago, scabab said:

No it just looks plain bad. Dragon Quest XI doesn't look realistic and looks great. Persona 5 doesn't look realistic and looks like a PS2 game.

Same excuse here again. Dragon Ball FighterZ doesn't go for photo realism, it doesn't look like a PS2 game. There's several games made to look like an anime without looking like it belongs on PS2.

You can prefer the style but it is a dreadful looking game for a 2015 game on PS4.

"Anime fan" isn't an insult but it is true that anime fans are particularly obsessed with the game because it is through and through as generically anime as a game could possibly be.

The only two examples of games you give that look good whilst still being anime are both done by the same artist. Not to mention FighterZ is nowhere near the same as other video games because of the literal frame-by-frame animation they went for instead of having a computer fill in frame gaps to give more of a traditional anime feeling--whilst Persona doesn't go for that at all.

On top of this, smack Persona 5's UI onto screenshots of Dragonball Z or Dragon Quest XI. Does it fit? Probably not. Probably because the game has a specific flavor and style that it's going for. Probably because it was meticulously made for that specific game, its animations, and graphical feel. 

And dude, nobody is buying Persona 5 or any Persona game because they want something that looks as beautiful as GOW 2018 or Kingdom Hearts III, lmao. If you don't like the game that's 100% fine, but these apples to oranges comparisons and horrible strawmanning of people based off of their anime avatar is strange. Get over yourself.

Edited by JackisJack_
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, JackisJack_ said:

Dude if you can find me one game that looks identical to Persona 5 in terms of User Interface, Style, Animation, and Character Design, I swear to god I will paypal you $2000.

If you genuinely believe that the gameplay is this bad, yet still went on to play through the game at least two times for the platinum, I have no idea what to tell you. It's entirely your opinion--but I mean either you didn't play on higher difficulties to appreciate the combat system and other mechanics more, or you just hate yourself. Platinuming something that takes 100-300 hours long to do means you either really liked it, or would've been better off bricking yourself for that long lmao.

I hate anime. I can never get into it no matter how many times I try--and yet I love Persona. But I guess this whole "only anime fans like it reeee" could just be added onto the list of painful strawmans you've typed out in this thread in an attempt to belittle opinions that may differ from yours. The only hilariously ironic part is that you want to defend Dragon Ball FighterZ as a video game, something literally made based off of an anime for fans of the anime, yet use "anime fan bad" as an argumentative point as to why Persona 5 is a bad game. Nice.

I mean he says he hates P5 and it looks like any other JRPG yet he has played every COD which is literally the same game every time. Once I saw that, I knew he lost all credibility 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scabab said:

You're trying to make a logical connection there as a "gotcha" withoit having a clue how to do it.

Just because I said that Persona 5 looks like every JRPG doesn't mean I can't like every Call of Duty even if they're all similar.

If you're gonna attempt something like this at least have it make some form of sense.

It's okay, countless people have tried to explain why your "reasoning" doesn't make sense. None of your points hold

Edited by NOWITSREYNTIME17
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 8:15 PM, kingjavs said:

Inspired by the top 10 games thread, thought it'd be interesting to see what games a lot of people revere that you personally struggled with getting into.

Not really encouraging edgelord comments, but just general fun discussion...

rdr 2...loved the first one but the sequel just not for me...

Death Stranding: I think you all know why

God of War (2018): Something about the story and combat system. Couldn't spend more than 3 hours in the game. Probably will get to it later, maybe on the ps5. 

ICO: I seriously don't udnerstand this game, maybe I'm too simple minded or impatient. But it's a no-no for me. And there's for beating it in 2 hours? What the hell. 

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind : OK, not PS, I know, but I really wanna love this game. I try to. Maybe it's because I'm not used to computer gaming, maybe the game didn't aged well (although I've played some even older games). A remaster/remake would really help me with this. 

Edited by westerosi27

6 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Rise Of The Tomb Raider. I am currently trying to play this game but it does not really do anything for me. I do not recognize the Lara from the first game, I do not care for the story or the limited characters, the controls are weird as hell, and it is just really damn boring so I am having a hard time getting myself to keep playing. People often mention Shadow Of The Tomb Raider as a decline in quality for the recent trilogy, seems like for me this already is noticeable in Rise, I just can't enjoy it like I enjoyed the first one so it becomes tedious, especially with all the collectibles scattered everywhere.

What if I told you that completing something does not mean you liked it and therefore this is a bad argument to make? I have completed a few games I absolutely despised just to not have my completion rate look like anything like yours, and I know many others who did the same.

Absolutely loved Rise of the Tomb Raider, was so excited for Shadow and havent been able to bring myself to complete it. Just awful! Rise I could not put down.

18 minutes ago, Smiddy23 said:

Absolutely loved Rise of the Tomb Raider, was so excited for Shadow and havent been able to bring myself to complete it. Just awful! Rise I could not put down.

hm, I thought tomb raider 2013 was decent but not amazing so I'm looking forward to Rise, hoping I enjoy it way more than 2013

That's just being pedantic for the sake of it. I don't care any interface. You know exactly what I mean. Outside of the likes of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest, JRPGs that actually have money put into them, all these JRPGs have that same anime style.

All made to look like an anime. I don't care about pedantic specifics or "oh it looks like a different kind of anime".

This is such an incredibly stupid point--it is literally like saying western games all look realistic so they all look the same. "Oh man all JRPGs look like anime I mean seriously they're just different anime" Like yeah, who would've thought that Japanese RPGs would be styled after y'know, their most popular form of media entertainment in that country's culture. "Pedantic specifics" such as interface, gameplay, narrative, and character designs are all that separate games with similar graphical looks in the first place. If you unironically believe this was a good point to make--holy god lmfao.

Also, hate to break it to you, but all the games you mentioned, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, the JRPGs that don't "have that same anime style"--are all still anime. For whatever reason I'm assuming you just don't know because you either haven't actually watched anime or couldn't care enough to do any research to seem less ignorant--but anime is a media format, not a media genre. Saying "these all have that same anime style" is like pointing to a bunch of films and saying "they all have that same movie style." It holds absolutely no water.

Well that would be my business anyway. If I, on a trophy site, played the game to earn it's trophies then that's obviously what I do. 

I am not the only one who has played a game or done things they don't want to in a game for a huge period of time to get a trophy so this is a worthless point to make.

The gameplay was awful regardless of playing the game for 10 hours, 100 hours or a 1000 hours.

Yet another..Pretty stupid point. "Plenty of people are sociopaths, who cares if i'm one too!" Just because you aren't in the minority of doing something (which you probably are anyways, ASIDES from on this extremely specific trophy site) doesn't automatically make it a bulletproof point. With a world population of seven billion, there's gonna be a ton of people that all do similar things--doesn't make them any less worthy of critique or pointing out. You're sitting here keyboard smashing about how awful a video game is, even coming for people's profile pictures over it or smth--yet you've wasted hundreds of hours that you will NEVER get back doing everything there is to do in that game. It's odd to say the least, and no matter how many other people do that kind of thing alongside you--it's still gonna be strange.

You did this completely wrong. 

1. I never defended FighterZ because nothing was said negative about it to even need that to begin with.

2. I never said it being an Anime game made it bad either.

So you got yourself a bit confused there.

Yeah no I didn't. If you want to sit here and critique all JRPGs for being mundane and similar because they are all anime and thus all anime is not worth your time, yet somehow simultaneously use DBFZ as an example of a purdy anime game, then you hit yourself over the head with a 4x4. Dragon Ball FighterZ falls into that "all same anime reee" category as well because it is an anime game. If you want to correct yourself and state that not all anime are bad and thus not all JRPGs are bad because they're anime, then you could try and backtrack on your painful self-contradictions.

But oof, if ya did that it would kinda make the entire crux of your argument collapse wouldn't it.

Oh, and before you try and say "I was just using it to show that anime CAN be pretty and Persona 5 just failed at it!" Then please define what you mean each time you constantly say "that same anime style" as a point to degrade JRPGs. Because clearly, you admire something graphically about DBFZ, yet want to criticize other JRPGs for being anime-styled graphically. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited by JackisJack_
  • Like 1

On 23/10/2020 at 2:14 AM, Charizarzar said:

Far Cry 4 really bored me. The villain was good, but other than that it was just more of the same with a few added features and a blander protagonist.

If you disliked Farcry 4 don’t even attempt number 5 it was absolutely DIRE.

Farcry2 (in its day) and 3 were so great but it’s been a slippery slope since. 

It’s all on you 6..

• Like 1

For me it's Horizon Zero Dawn. It's an ok game, but nothing more than that. You know when you finish the game and you constantly think about it? Well that definitely wasn't the case with this piece. Played for a while, forgot about it. Never finished. I don't get the hype

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DonFrancesco said:

I have to agree with that. I loved HZD, the world, the combat and especially the story/lore (I'm the type of person who actually reads documents and listens to audio files to really understand a world and its characters, unless I absolutely can't get into it, and I thought HZD did that part outstandingly well), but Aloy I just couldn't really warm up to. I felt like she could have been a very interesting character and she had a lot of potential, but it was kinda wasted on her just being too damn perfect. Pretty much everybody is, literally, in love with her, she's the best at everything she touches, obviously the smartest... the list goes on. It just didn't click with me.

I’m glad to see somebody agree with me on this. That might be a first. ?

I left out “most desirable” from the list because I didn’t want to sound overly misogynistic, but that was another quality she had that I couldn’t help but notice. Almost every male character in the game, including the godamn King, becomes totally smitten or falls in love with her. On one hand I can understand how difficult it would be not to be attracted to a woman with all those qualities, but it just adds to my point that she’s too perfect. Women like that don’t exist. People like that don’t exist.

I’ve always thought the most interesting and well written characters are always the ones with deep flaws. It makes them much more relatable. I think the writers missed a big opportunity with Aloy, especially when it comes to showing the effects that her social isolation would have had on her. She could have still been the heroic character she was, but her arrival at that point could have come as a long and interesting journey as we watched her grow and slowly gain confidence in herself, her abilities, and her leadership. But no character growth like that ever materializes.

• Like 3